PDA

View Full Version : Camp Notes!

Cmdurand21
05-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Well i came here looking for some notes, and couldn't find any. So I went and found some and decided I would fill you guys in if you weren't following. (Which you better be! :tt03:) And if you were... this is now the only place you have to come to find it. I will try and update it daily. Without further ado:

All information by ESPN.com's James Walker

Day 2

May 2, 2009 6:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers continued their full-squad, mandatory minicamp Saturday to kick off the 2009 football season.

Here are some notes and observations from Day 2:

1) I'm pleasantly surprised with the way second-year quarterback Dennis Dixon is throwing the football this weekend. In the four practices the past two days, Dixon's ball has been a tight spiral more often than not and his accuracy has been solid. Saturday Dixon placed a ball over the middle through three defenders to hit receiver Brandon Williams in one of the best throws of minicamp thus far.

2) Linebacker Lawrence Timmons looks ready for a breakout year. He's always been one of the best athletes on the team. But in his third year it looks like he "gets it," in terms of his assignments and Pittsburgh's complicated defensive scheme. Timmons has looked fluid and confident all weekend. He also has little wasted motion when getting to his spots and chasing the ball carriers.

3) Veteran cornerback Keiwan Ratliff believes he can contribute in Pittsburgh this year. Ratliff was with the Indianapolis Colts last season and played a lot of Cover 2 defense, which is a strong point of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. Ratliff says knowing the coverage scheme well will help the transition with his new team.
It what seems to be a daily occurrence at Steelers camp.

4) the funny play for Saturday involved nose tackle Chris Hoke. At 6 feet, 2 inches tall, weighing 302 pounds, Hoke was caught covering speedy, 5-feet-7 scat back Stephan Logan in the flat. The quarterback read the play correctly and quickly threw the ball to Logan, who put a juke move on Hoke that nearly caused him to completely flip over himself. The team went nuts and even congratulated Hoke for selling out and trying to make the play, despite the obvious mismatch.

5) Receiver Dallas Baker once again flashed some potential Saturday. Baker made four quality catches in the second practice, many of them in traffic, to complete a good day of work. Baker has quietly made plays in camp for the Steelers the past few seasons. This year he is competing again for one of the final roster spots at receiver.

Day 3

May 3, 2009 2:30 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH-The defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory minicamp with an extremely light morning session Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts and observations this weekend:

1) Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask? "Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

2) If I had to pick one player I was most impressed with (outside of the obvious), I would have to say second-year receiver Limas Sweed. Everyone is aware of his struggles last season. But during this three-day camp, Sweed received a lot of reps and made a lot of plays. The 2008 second-round pick will be relied upon this season and it looks like he's making significant strides.

3) I received several questions in the AFC North inbox about the performance of the offensive line. And, frankly, I find it nearly impossible to evaluate the position during a non-contact minicamp. That's why there aren't many reports on the line this weekend. To say a player blocked well or didn't block well when contact is not allowed wouldn't be accurate enough for my liking.

4) The Steelers came out of this camp healthy. Players coming off offseason surgeries such as receiver Hines Ward (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) did not participate, and the only new injury was an ankle sprain to backup tailback Mewelde Moore, who had his heel stepped on this weekend. "It's nothing long term," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday. "He should be able to get back to work the latter part of next week and continue on with his off-season program."

5) There was no update Sunday on the Larry Foote situation. The inside linebacker did not attend this weekend's minicamp and is still on the roster. Tomlin wouldn't elaborate beyond his comments Friday on Foote's future with the team.

billybob
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Think you,re a little late with that dude , but thanks anyway . It's already been posted .

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
If Foote wasn't required to be at the minicamp with his release pending, then why not just release him before camp?

Cmdurand21
05-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Think you,re a little late with that dude , but thanks anyway . It's already been posted .

I only found the Day 1 reports while looking through?

Edit: Took down day 1 because it was already posted.

fansince'76
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I only found the Day 1 reports while looking through?

Edit: Took down day 1 because it was already posted.

Yep, only Day 1 was previously posted.

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

stillers4me
05-03-2009, 05:11 PM
1) Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask? "Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

Love it! I think this is the first quote from Ben saying anything about the Superbowl. He sort of disappeared from view for a while. Nice to have you back, Ben!

steelerdave1969
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
hey bud.. thanks for the info. Always good to see the new folks coming here trying to be helpful and informational. Welcome to the board and I hope that you enjoy ...
:tt02:

Give It To Abercrombie
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
If Foote wasn't required to be at the minicamp with his release pending, then why not just release him before camp?

My guess would be they are still trying to trade him. I know people say "just wait until he's cut, then you don't have to give anything up", well that's true but if you wait until he is cut anyone can sign him and you may have to bid his price up. Giving up a draft pick in a trade ensures you have the whole next year to negotiate an extension, without competition from other teams.

billybob
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Yep, only Day 1 was previously posted.

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

My bad , i already read it , i thought it was here . Sorry .

Fordy
05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Interesting to see Dallas BAker trying out again..

Galax Steeler
05-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Sounds like Sweed is doing pretty good so far. Dennis Dixon throwing the ball well also. Thanks for the info.