PDA

View Full Version : Lions might not be interested in trading for Larry Foote

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Lions might not be interested in trading for Larry Foote
by Tom Kowalski
Sunday May 03, 2009, 1:26 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/lions_might_not_be_interested.html

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew wouldn't speak specifically of linebacker Larry Foote because he's currently playing for another NFL team (Pittsburgh Steelers) and there are tampering rules. The Steelers are attempting to deal Foote and get something for him before possibly releasing him but Mayhew hinted today that the Lions might not be interested in trading for Foote -- at least not at the price the Steelers are asking.

"Let me say this, anytime there's a good player out there who can help us win football games, we're going to do all the research we have to do and do everything we can to investigate that player and we're going to place a value on that player,'' Mayhew said. "We'll pursue that player until it gets to the point where the cost to get that player exceeds that value.''

If the Steelers can't get the trade value they want, they're expected to release Foote but there's no telling when that might be.

Also, Mayhew said the Lions are in communication with free agent defensive end Kevin Carter, but that a signing isn't "imminent.'' Because Carter is a 14-year veteran who is in excellent physical shape, he's the type of player that might not get signed until the training camp two-a-days are coming to a close.

"I don't think he's got a sense of urgency to do anything right now,'' said Mayhew, adding that the Lions will take a look at some free agent veterans this week. The Lions will try to fill some holes that weren't filled in the draft. "We'll have some guys in for tryouts this week, some older players.''

Steelman16
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I guess they think Dizon can really carry that team?

Steely McSmash
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
]If the Steelers can't get the trade value they want, they're expected to release Foote but there's no telling when that might be.

If they can't get the value they want, I hope they get a value somewhat less but not zero by cutting him.

ShutDown24
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Why would they trade for him now? Once news gets out that there is a good chance you'll be releasing someone it becomes very hard to get value or anything for them.

Personally, I think Dizon could play this year.

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Why would they trade for him now? Once news gets out that there is a good chance you'll be releasing someone it becomes very hard to get value or anything for them.

I agree. This is probably why we could not trade him during the draft. The entire NFL knows we have Timmions waiting to step in, and that the Steelers need salary cap room. Foote has been a good reliable player for us but he does come out on passing downs so that limits his value.

SteelersMongol
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Lions might not be interested in trading for Larry Foote
by Tom Kowalski
Sunday May 03, 2009, 1:26 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/lions_might_not_be_interested.html

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew wouldn't speak specifically of linebacker Larry Foote because he's currently playing for another NFL team (Pittsburgh Steelers) and there are tampering rules. The Steelers are attempting to deal Foote and get something for him before possibly releasing him but Mayhew hinted today that the Lions might not be interested in trading for Foote -- at least not at the price the Steelers are asking.

"Let me say this, anytime there's a good player out there who can help us win football games, we're going to do all the research we have to do and do everything we can to investigate that player and we're going to place a value on that player,'' Mayhew said. "We'll pursue that player until it gets to the point where the cost to get that player exceeds that value.''

If the Steelers can't get the trade value they want, they're expected to release Foote but there's no telling when that might be.

Also, Mayhew said the Lions are in communication with free agent defensive end Kevin Carter, but that a signing isn't "imminent.'' Because Carter is a 14-year veteran who is in excellent physical shape, he's the type of player that might not get signed until the training camp two-a-days are coming to a close.

"I don't think he's got a sense of urgency to do anything right now,'' said Mayhew, adding that the Lions will take a look at some free agent veterans this week. The Lions will try to fill some holes that weren't filled in the draft. "We'll have some guys in for tryouts this week, some older players.''

So if there is no team that is interested in getting Foote, will he stay with us or can we keep him?

SteelersMongol
05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry, PC error. Double post.

The Duke
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
NOBODY is going to trade for him

The lions will sign him when he's released, tomorrow or in the next few days. either them or the packers, or any of the teams switching to a 3-4

come to think of it, the lions should sign him before the packers get him, where he'd be a better fit

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM

The lions will sign him when he's released, tomorrow or in the next few days. either them or the packers, or any of the teams switching to a 3-4

come to think of it, the lions should sign him before the packers get him, where he'd be a better fit

The only reason a team would trade for him would be if a team really wants him and is afraid of getting into a bidding war for him.

Psyychoward86
05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
The only reason a team would trade for him would be if a team really wants him and is afraid of getting into a bidding war for him.

Yup. That's why i also think he just gets released, and signed by another team, probably the Lions. At least we save cap room.

Galax Steeler
05-04-2009, 03:43 AM
I don't see a trade in the future for him I say he is cut and that will be the end of it.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
So if there is no team that is interested in getting Foote, will he stay with us or can we keep him? he's still under contract for another year, but they don't want to pay him the 3 million he is owed if he stays. he already said he would not take a pay cut. the fact that the steelers told him not to come to camp, shows that he has no chance of being with them this year.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2009, 07:15 AM

i'm still amazed they didn't work him into the deal with denver on draft day.....:noidea:.....why would denver NOT want an experienced 3-4 linebacker ? :doh:

The Duke
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
i'm still amazed they didn't work him into the deal with denver on draft day.....:noidea:.....why would denver NOT want an experienced 3-4 linebacker ? :doh:

just a theory but....josh mcdaniels is an idiot

Bowlen is pleased with the quarterback, Kyle Orton, and the draft picks the Broncos got in return from Chicago, but when told many were puzzled why McDaniels didn't choose more defensive players in the recent draft, Bowlen replied:

"Me, too."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12281980

:doh:

7/39/43
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Foote for Calvin Johnson
that would be great but won't happen

St33lersguy
05-04-2009, 03:57 PM

BINGO!!!!!

Steelman16
05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
just a theory but....josh mcdaniels is an idiot

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12281980

:doh:

Sounds like Broncos fans will be seeing their team lose a lot more again. No defense = no wins.

Psyychoward86
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Brace for those Lion maggots to jump on the opportunity and sign him now.