PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers report: Shipley and Baker look good at camp,

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers report: Shipley and Baker look good at camp, Parker healthy and happy

Matt Pawlikowski

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

May 3, 9:07 AM · 2 comments
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m5d3-Pittsburgh-Steelers-report-Shipley-and-Baker-look-good-at-camp-Parker-healthy-and-happy

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers hit the South Side facility fields again on Saturday, and while action was limited to non contact, it still provided a good chance to see what the rookies could do, and also if guys like Willie Parker were fully healed from their injuries.

Parker, who as an undrafted free-agent has become one of the Steelers marquee players, is in the last year of his contract. But unlike Larry Foote, who elected to stay home in Detroit and await his potential release, he was all business.

"I am coming off a bad season but it was a great season for the team. I just have to come out and get ready to play," Parker said. “It’s not about holding out. I have to make the best decision and the best decision is to be around the team and help out the best way possible."

Despite being injured last year, Parker still managed to rush for 791 yards. It was the first time in three years, though, that he failed to reach 1,000 yards.

Since the team had recently signed James Harrison to a long term deal, and also Hines Ward, Parker was asked about his contract status with the team, Parker didn't seemed concerned.

“That will take care of itself,” said Parker of a new contract. “The Steelers gave me a chance and I am proud and happy to be a Steeler. That’s all I can say about that. Whatever happens, happens. As of right now I am just getting ready for this season and have to make the best of it."

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE

There is much interest when it comes to who will inherit Nate Washington's slot at the No. 3 slot for receiver. Head coach Mike Tomlin has said repeatedly that the Steelers were confident with the guys they had in house, despite Limas Sweed's tendency to drop passes last year.

Well if Saturday is any indication, toss the name Dallas Baker into the equation. Baker was on fire, and caught everything that was thrown his way.

"I thought I had a good day, I was feeling good out there," Baker said."I'm just trying to get better each day, and improve myself so I can play and contribute at this level."

Sweed has put a lot of time in this offseason, and despite Baker's presence and the addition of former Lions wideout Shaun McDonald feels confident.

"This is what I envisioned when I came to the league," Sweed said. “It took me about a year, but I feel like I'm catching on."

The Steelers can only hope so.

SHIPLEY HAVING A GOOD CAMP

Fomer Penn State center AQ Shipley was another player that piqued the interest of many entering camp. Passed over by many teams due to his size, he has a good shot at making the final roster, despite being taken so late in the draft.

"The last few weeks were a whirlwind, with all the waiting, then during the draft process,
now being thrown into everything, but I'm excited," Shipley said. "The first day was tough having to learn everything from start, but I'm working real hard and trying to learn as much as a can. I think the camp is going good so far and I look forward to building on what I learned during this weekend

steelreserve
05-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, at least our camp is going better than the Cowboys'.

Galax Steeler
05-04-2009, 03:58 AM
I still say Sweed takes the no.3 spot this year. I just think he will be ready to play some ball this year.

T&B fan
05-04-2009, 06:20 AM
"This is what I envisioned when I came to the league," Sweed said. “It took me about a year, but I feel like I'm catching on."

this is what he needs to do more of the ball man the ball ....

STEELAMANIA
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Baker is back on the practice squad or he gets cut.....He reminds me of Lee Mays....someone who has a good camp, but nowhere to be found in actual games.....

bigjamesharrison2
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

:sofunny:

Cmdurand21
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Minicamp is over right? If so, when does the next camp start?

billybob
05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Minicamp is over right? If so, when does the next camp start?

I think it's May 19 th , but i'm not positive .

KeiselPower99
05-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Well only 2 1/2 months til training camp

LukesDad88
05-04-2009, 06:04 PM

I hate the Boys as much as any Steeler fan, and more than most, but that is plain wrong. A staffer was paralyzed, for crying out loud.

Real funny.

SunshineMan21
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I hate the Boys as much as any Steeler fan, and more than most, but that is plain wrong. A staffer was paralyzed, for crying out loud.

Real funny.

Yeah, nothing funny about what happened to that dude . . .

BlastFurnace
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Real funny.

I agree. I live right around where that took place. It's a very sad situation. That guy is only 33.

Their Special Teams coach had serious back surgery from the collapse. Another broke his shoulder and tore his MCL and ACL. There were 12 hurt in all.

I agree with you...this is not something to crack a joke about. People very easily could have died.