PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger says he's healthy again + Day 3 camp notes

mesaSteeler
05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Roethlisberger says he's healthy again
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth
May 3, 2009 3:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- Few players took as much physical punishment last season as Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

But after a couple months of rest and inactivity following February's Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals, Roethlisberger said he's healthy again and ready for the 2009 season.

"I feel great, actually," Roethlisberger said Sunday at the conclusion of Pittsburgh's mandatory minicamp.

The same couldn't be said for Roethlisberger's title run last season. He fought through various ailments, including shoulder and hand injuries, before winning his second Super Bowl by the age of 26.

None of last season's injuries required surgery, but it did require a lot of rest.

Roethlisberger said he didn't work out much, because that's what it took to get his body healed and back to 100 percent. He also avoided throwing this offseason until Pittsburgh's Organized Teams Activities and minicamp.

"This is the only time [I throw] when I come here," Roethlisberger said. "There's no need to go above and beyond and stretch out the arm, because you know during the season it's going to be a lot of throwing. So I just take it real easy."

Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl XLIII, AFC North, Ben Roethlisberger, minicamp, NFL, Arizona Cardinals

Steelers Day 3 minicamp notes

May 3, 2009 2:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

PITTSBURGH-The defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory minicamp with an extremely light morning session Sunday.

Here are some final thoughts and observations this weekend:

* Steelers' starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy and rested. He hasn't thrown prior to OTAs also provided an interesting nugget Sunday, saying he still hasn't watched the final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals. Why, you ask?

"Because I know what happened," said a smiling Roethlisberger.

* If I had to pick one player I was most impressed with (outside of the obvious), I would have to say second-year receiver Limas Sweed. Everyone is aware of his struggles last season. But during this three-day camp, Sweed received a lot of reps and made a lot of plays. The 2008 second-round pick will be relied upon this season and it looks like he's making significant strides.

* I received several questions in the AFC North inbox about the performance of the offensive line. And, frankly, I find it nearly impossible to evaluate the position during a non-contact minicamp. That's why there aren't many reports on the line this weekend. To say a player blocked well or didn't block well when contact is not allowed wouldn't be accurate enough for my liking.

* The Steelers came out of this camp healthy. Players coming off offseason surgeries such as receiver Hines Ward (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) did not participate, and the only new injury was an ankle sprain to backup tailback Mewelde Moore, who had his heel stepped on this weekend.

"It's nothing long term," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday. "He should be able to get back to work the latter part of next week and continue on with his off-season program."

* There was no update Sunday on the Larry Foote situation. The inside linebacker did not attend this weekend's minicamp and is still on the roster. Tomlin wouldn't elaborate beyond his comments Friday on Foote's future with the team.

Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Limas Sweed, Ben Roethlisberger, Arizona Cardinals, Hines Ward, Ryan Clark, Mike Tomlin, Mewelde Moore, Larry Foote

Read comments or leave a comment

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2009, 01:12 AM
* I received several questions in the AFC North inbox about the performance of the offensive line. And, frankly, I find it nearly impossible to evaluate the position during a non-contact minicamp. That's why there aren't many reports on the line this weekend. To say a player blocked well or didn't block well when contact is not allowed wouldn't be accurate enough for my liking.

t
Yeah, at least this guy is honest enough to say you cant judge linemen without contact. I was wondering why I heard so many great things about our 7th round pick, but not our 1st round pick in other articles???

Rek
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Sweed is lookin' good, Ben is healthy, Mendy and Daniel S. are coming back this year...things are lookin nice...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Sweed will be fine..... If he had caught that ball agains the Ravens we would not be talking about him.....Well....everyone would be saying how great he is.... I will not judge him on his rookie season

Galax Steeler
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
It is nice having Ben healthy and ready to go. I just hope he can stay that way and have another great year.

HometownGal
05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Great news about Ben. :thumbsup:

I'm also happy to hear that Sweeeeeeeed did well in mini-camp! :banana: Can't wait to see him in action at TC!

STEELAMANIA
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Just like I said in the Philly game last season.....Just throw it to Sweed!!!