PDA

View Full Version : Stafford to make more than Brady in '09?

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
I read on Yahoo that he's going to make a bigger paycheck than Marsha. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Brady is a big chunk hype to go with only just better than average talent, and if he had to play on about 25 other teams he'd have nowhere NEAR the numbers he's been putting up, but he HAS won super bowls and he HAS put up big numbers.

What has Stafford done?

I've still got MS at even odds that he totally busts in the NFL, especially since he'll be starting fresh out of the gates on a bad Lions team.

They have GOT top adopt the NBA rookie structure soon...this is just idiocy.

xfl2001fan
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Sad but true... I look forward to the day when there's a rookie structure in place. That will actually place real value on the first 5 picks.

Dino 6 Rings
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
They'll fix this with the new agreement. That's one of the reasons a lot of Juniors jumped up to the NFL this year, the fear of the Rookie Cap next year had them chomping at the bit to make their money now.

Psyychoward86
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Notice how nobody posted this even tho it's been out for a couple days? It's cuz we all dont give a crap about Brady and Stafford :yawn:. Stafford isnt going to be worth half of that.

Steeler in Carolina
05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
That is what is wrong with the NFL salaries. They should have a rookie wage and if you prove you are worth it, then you get paid. They are guys who have great NFL careers and not make as much as some of these rookies who are out of the league in 3 years.

Steeler in Carolina
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Take the 2005 draft. The top 7 players really have not proved anything in the NFL. Some are decent players, but none of them have proved to be worth what they were paid under their rookie deals.

1. Alex Smith
2. Ronnie Brown
3. Braylon Edwards
4. Cedric Benson
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Pacman Jones
7. Troy Williamson

KeiselPower99
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Stafford is Harrington Jr. Welcome to Detroit buddy it was nice knowing ya. I hope the money was worth it.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 09:18 AM
The worst part is it's GUARANTEED money. The dude may never play a single down of football and make multiple millions...it's just a ridiculous situation.

Really, the joke is on everyone else. This dude may suck open ass, but he can retire at 24 and end up with more money than 99% of the rest of us ham-n-eggers will make in our entire lifetime...

rbryan
05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
These ridiculous salaries are why drafting high is more of a disadvantage to the weaker teams than the advantage it was intended to be.

Its just a matter of time before the first team on the clock skips thier turn. They could have signed 4-5 decent players for what they paid this kid. Something has to give. This system is flawed to say the least.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I believe Detroit WAS trying to trade down but they couldn't find any takers. In fact, I heard that the first TEN teams were ALL trying to trade down...not sure how valid that is, but I can certianly understand given that those teams are pretty much handcuffed into GIANT contracts for the players they drafted simply based on their draft position.

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Take the 2005 draft. The top 7 players really have not proved anything in the NFL. Some are decent players, but none of them have proved to be worth what they were paid under their rookie deals.

1. Alex Smith
2. Ronnie Brown
3. Braylon Edwards
4. Cedric Benson
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Pacman Jones
7. Troy Williamson

Wow what a great 7 players they turned out to be.

steelreserve
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah, this is why you don't want a top-five pick anymore. It doesn't give you a chance to build a team, so much as force you into a $60 million hand of blackjack.

On top of that, even if your rookie turns out to be good, he's still eating up close to 10% of your salary cap all by himself. So signing him hurts your team anyway no matter how good he is.

I still think what Detroit should've done is tell Stafford, "Look, we know you're the #1 pick, but the thing is, you're not as good as a normal #1 pick, so we're only offering you half the money." That's still a damn sight more than he should be making.

The_WARDen
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
The worst part is it's GUARANTEED money. The dude may never play a single down of football and make multiple millions...it's just a ridiculous situation.

Really, the joke is on everyone else. This dude may suck open ass, but he can retire at 24 and end up with more money than 99% of the rest of us ham-n-eggers will make in our entire lifetime...

Hey! The man can throw a football...he deserves every cent. Don't be player hatin!

Edman
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Well hey, this is the reason why the Lions are the Lions.

There needs to be a rookie cap, but some of these overinflated deals for unproven rookies are in fault for the team themselves. The Lions (and #1 teams before them) didn't really need to buff up the pay. But they did. It's no coincidence that we see the same few teams picking in the top 5 each and every year. They have dumb owners and they suck.

Go ahead, blow a number one pick on a QB and throw him into a situation with no O-Line or talent round him (Except Cal Johnson), not to mention a miserable defense and expect him to fix everything. This will certainly end well...NOT.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Again, though, this is all good for Stafford. Dude has to be thinking "OK, even if I get killed, I get paid. Best case, I get paid, slink around here for a few years, get traded to a better team and find new life as comeback player of the year" (I'm sure HE doesn't think he's overrated or overpaid in the slightest).

Kittyfish
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Excuse me for being ignorant, but how did it come to be that the top draft picks make such outrageous guaranteed money in the first place? I remember people talking about how much money Brady Quinn was losing by not being picked higher up in the draft. It does seem ridiculous that rookies who might end up being tremendous busts make so much more than proven players but how did that system come about to begin with?

xfl2001fan
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Excuse me for being ignorant, but how did it come to be that the top draft picks make such outrageous guaranteed money in the first place? I remember people talking about how much money Brady Quinn was losing by not being picked higher up in the draft. It does seem ridiculous that rookies who might end up being tremendous busts make so much more than proven players but how did that system come about to begin with?

It's a myriad of factors. Essentially, though, it comes down to the fact that the unproven players can always opt to not sign a contract and be redistributed in the next draft, leaving the team in question without a first round pick anymore. The argument used by the #1 overall pick (in this case, it's Stafford) is that the team must believe they're worth a lot of money...because they picked them to be the face of the franchise...and the "face of the franchise" gets paid.

10 years ago, they didn't make nearly as much money as they do now. Agents argued that with a rising salary cap, that the teams should pay more this year than they did last year. There are some factors that go into just how much that money is...but it's based on drafted position (1st overall, 2nd overall, etc...) and player position (QB/DE/LT tend to make more than DT, LB, FB).

Each year, the price kept going up until it's at this ridiculous point it's at now.

You also get idiots (like Al Davis and Daniel Snyder) who will spend an exorbitant amount of money on players just to get them into camp soon...but that sets the bar a little higher for the rest of the league.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Detroit has no idea how to build a football team.

Stafford is the next Tim Couch. A lot of talent, but no offensive line whatsoever in front of him to give him a milisecond to throw the football.

He is now the face of this franchise. The plan seems to be have him sit behind Daunte Cullpepper for a season and just learn. But what if C-Pepp gets hurt? If Stafford is listed at the #2 QB for his rookie year, he gets thrown to the wolves.

They picked all of one offensive linemen in this draft, Lyndon Murtha out of Nebraska, the 228th overall player taken.

If I were the Lions GM, I would have taken Jason Smith out of Baylor. That would give me a stud LT to protect the blindside of Cullpepper.

If I really valued Stafford, I would package the #20 pick to move up and take Stafford at another point in the first round.

If not, then I would have spent that #20 pick on a defensive lineman (or another offensive lineman if there was one there with value at that pick).

I know that this team isn't going to have a Dolphins or Falcons type of resurgence and will be picking in the top five again next year, which has a better QB crop including Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
That's another irony...if you pay a rook that much, you CANNOT sit him. He MUST start.

And that just exacerbates the problem...

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
That's another irony...if you pay a rook that much, you CANNOT sit him. He MUST start.

And that just exacerbates the problem...

Well, you can if you decide to do what you feel is best for the team and not the media and fans feel is best for the team. It's just a matter of sticking to your guns and following through with your plans.

I mean sure, throw Stafford out there in the fourth quarter when down 34-7. He'll get to learn the speed of the NFL game. But he'd only start if the #1 and #2 options go down.