PDA

View Full Version : AQ Shipley

Steeldude
05-04-2009, 10:12 PM
i found this on draftcountdown forum. it was posted by Mr. Goosemahn. he says it's a collection of mini-camps reports from various sources. there is info on other players as well. take it for what it's worth.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1645803

A.Q. Shipley has coaches astounded. Not only did he ask (or is about to ask) for Mike Webster's number (52), but he's digesting the playbook at an unbelievable rate. Shipley scored a 40 in the wonderlic, which was the SECOND HIGHEST OF ALL PLAYERS IN THE DRAFT! A coach even said that if he kept on learning and playing at this level, he would not only make the team, but he'd at least dress up for games and might even be considered as legitimate competition for the center spot. Talk about a great player in the seventh round!

i looked around for the real source, but could not locate it.

i would't give him webster's number. let shipley attempt to make his own mark with another number.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i found this on draftcountdown forum. it was posted by Mr. Goosemahn. he says it's a collection of mini-camps reports from various sources. there is info on other players as well. take it for what it's worth.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1645803

i looked around for the real source, but could not locate it.

i would't give him webster's number. let shipley attempt to make his own mark with another number.

I'd give him 64 if he wants to live in a legacy of another Steeler.

OneForTheToe
05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Not to be a negative nellie, but how would the source even know he was about to ask for Webster's number? That would be way inside info. I think he might make the roster as well, but this seems a bit over the top.

Anyhow thanks, good for debate.

Preacher
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Sure is nice to read however.

Psyychoward86
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Those are some interesting positive signs, as to how reliable they are is questionable. But i do think intellect is an underrated attribute of NFL athletes. The Wonderlic might not seem like a big deal, but Vince young bombed it, and look at him.

tony hipchest
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Not to be a negative nellie, but how would the source even know he was about to ask for Webster's number? That would be way inside info. I think he might make the roster as well, but this seems a bit over the top.

Anyhow thanks, good for debate.that type of info could easilly be leaked by a laundry room attendant. :noidea:

i heard an interview with a former nfl coach who worked him out (in addition with many others like j. smith and e. britton) to prepare for the draft. he believes he has all the tools (with exception to t-rex arms) to be a successful center with the steelers.

fwiw...

Steelman16
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
If anyone gets 63, I'd hope it'd be Urbik.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Shipley is wearing #61 according to the Steelers official website.

Galax Steeler
05-05-2009, 04:30 AM
I would love to see Shipley do good for Pittsburgh but to be as good as Webster. I don't know if that will ever happen.

joefootball
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
He wanted Webster's number to honor him --- he played with Webster's son in high school

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice info right there.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds like homer stuff to me...people WANT Shipley to succeed, so they might be forcing the issue a bit. There's a reason why 31 other teams passed over him in the previous 225 picks...

Still, stranger things have happened, and I wish the kid best of luck. If he can make the team and compete, that means he's legit and that's good for us...

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds like homer stuff to me...people WANT Shipley to succeed, so they might be forcing the issue a bit. There's a reason why 31 other teams passed over him in the previous 225 picks...

Still, stranger things have happened, and I wish the kid best of luck. If he can make the team and compete, that means he's legit and that's good for us...

Ive got to agree with ya on that one. As great as a story it would be lets be honest here. He has a long way to go before we name him the next great Steeler center. Hell Id be happy with Hartwig for another 5 years.

Steely McSmash
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Sounds like homer stuff to me.....

The statement isn't actually even that optimistic. "might even be considered as legitimate competition" isn't exactly glowing praise.

some of the things in there look like random player comments to the media. In the same report there's some stuff about Bruce Davis getting an extra half a step etc. I'm sure that kind of statement does not come from any of the top coaches.

I'm sure he's attacking the playbook like nobody's business since he's a determined smart guy with a lot of intelligence from all accounts. Best of luck.

LVSteelersfan
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Hopefully he's another diamond in the rough. The only pick I did not agree with was the TE in this draft. Every other pick seemed to be spot on. Shipley making the team as a 7th rounder would be phenomenal as we don't have any legitimate backups for Hartwig except maybe Stapleton which seems underwhelming at best.

wootawnee
05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Spaeth is not cutting it......He missed a ton of blocks.....esp in the superbowl at the goal line.....

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, they were gonna pick a TE regardless...the only complaint I MAY have is that picked 2 CB's...I might have liked to see another OL, preferably a tackle. But these cats know what they are doing...

JackHammer
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Those are some interesting positive signs, as to how reliable they are is questionable. But i do think intellect is an underrated attribute of NFL athletes. The Wonderlic might not seem like a big deal, but Vince young bombed it, and look at him.

Just an example (http://forums.signonsandiego.com/archive/index.php/t-27493.html) of why the Wonderlic is anything but reliable.

Sean Taylor(r.i.p.) scored the WORST among safeties, and yet ended up being one of the best safeties in the game. Compare Teddy Lehman, who got the highest score of LB's(39), to Karlos Dansby who scored a 10. Look at what those two have done up to this point in their careers. I'll take Dansby over Lehman any day. Oh, and Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, and Randall Cunningham all scored 15. Ryan Leaf(27) scored better than Big Ben(25). the wonderlic is hit or miss at best.

Psyychoward86
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Some will never learn. O.k be honest, who is judging Shipley on the fact that he was drafted in the 7th round :rolleyes:?

billybob
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Some will never learn. O.k be honest, who is judging Shipley on the fact that he was drafted in the 7th round :rolleyes:?

Myself , i am not judging him at all . Of course he has to prove himself once again on a whole new level .
He has not been playing in a sissy league for the past few years . He must be chomping at the bit to at least have a chance to show what he can do , and prove even to himself he has what it takes to take it to the next level . I wish him well . How many times have the skeptics been proven wrong ?

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I've got an agenda myself. I think it's unfair that I'm labeled an ignorant homer for pimping my OSU guys (2 of whom were the first picked at their positions, the third who I'm convinced is the best RB in the draft) while all the PA guys drool over the 226th pick in the draft like he's the second coming of Mike Webster.

Hate the school? Okay, fine. But respect the program and respect the players. The Steelers SB MVP is one of them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM

I am judging Shipley by the fact that he is short, has short arms, weighs 298lbs and has really good feet and technique to get to LB's. All of those things say he should have been drafted by the Colts, Broncos, Texans, Redskins to be a strong contributor to their "stretch plays" on offense. Not exactly a great fit for the Steelers......but he was only a 7th round pick, so no big deal if he pans out or not.

Revs is right, you cant pound on him for being an OSU homer, pimping Marcus Freeman, Robiske, Hartline, Washington.........but in the next breath beliving without bias, that Shipley is the next in line to be a great center in the NFL.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Revs is right, you cant pound on him for being an OSU homer, pimping Marcus Freeman, Robiske, Hartline, Washington.........but in the next breath beliving without bias, that Shipley is the next in line to be a great center in the NFL.

I pimped Freeman. I pimped Washington (so did you). I pimped Robiskie a little, but also called him a mid-second rounder. Nothing about Hartline.

Shipley may be a nice player...but he was drafted 226th and nothing will change that. PSU had 5 players drafted, average draft position of 107, OSU had 7, average position of 68.

I may be a homer, but my school had more players selected in higher rounds, and my prognostication wasn't THAT far off, and the season hasn't even started yet.

Didn't you also state that only 2% of rooks start? Wells, Lil Animal and Jenkins will all start on opening day (barring injury) meaning about 40% of OSU's draft class will be starting next year.

I may be a homer, but I'm not a blind, hateful and ignorant one.

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
n. mangold > aq. shipley

with that being said we pretty much traded mahan for shipley and for that i am.... :danceshout:

Steely McSmash
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Not judging him as a 7th rounder. I personally think the 4th-5th round value was fairly decent so he's a steal in the 7th.

I do think he has a very challenging road to make the roster unless he's able to really flash, play some guard, or somebody gets hurt.

I'm actually a PSU alum to boot.

Who's Lil animal anyway?

I can see that Wells would start but the rest are a serious longshot I would think on opening day.

billybob
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Ship is just a young dude , ain't even hit the field yet , i love the odds . He fits right in with my theme .
So many are nay-sayers before he even had a chance to get cut . I'm lovin this . I don't care where he played his college ball at . He could have gone to Holy Cross for all i care .
If he can help the team i love , then i'm going to back it all the way . Time will tell that part of the story , not any of our opinions . No matter what school he played for . He could have gone to Gettysburg college , if he makes the team , who cares ?

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
i was gonna say maybe shipley has room to bulk up but the dude is totally yoked.

hes built like a tank (or like billybobs t-rex sig- with bench pressers arms of course)

billybob
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
That seems to be the consensus . Although i ain't buyin it .

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I pimped Freeman. I pimped Washington (so did you). I pimped Robiskie a little, but also called him a mid-second rounder. Nothing about Hartline.

Shipley may be a nice player...but he was drafted 226th and nothing will change that. PSU had 5 players drafted, average draft position of 107, OSU had 7, average position of 68.

I may be a homer, but my school had more players selected in higher rounds, and my prognostication wasn't THAT far off, and the season hasn't even started yet.

Didn't you also state that only 2% of rooks start? Wells, Lil Animal and Jenkins will all start on opening day (barring injury) meaning about 40% of OSU's draft class will be starting next year.

I may be a homer, but I'm not a blind, hateful and ignorant one.

I dont think you are arguing against me .....are you??? I pretty much agree with all you have here. I thought you pimped Hartline as a late round guy, but may have been mistaken. I thought that was where he would go. Most of your buckeyes went where I thought they would go. I didnt think JL would go top 20 like you did. He is basically Pozluzny in Scarlett and grey.

I thought some zone blocking team would take a shot at Shipley around the 5th. I think he best fits that scheme and would rather the PSU homers had Gerald Cadogin as a Steeler to cheer on. But, Ship is a Steeler and you gotta love him for that............but I am gonna hold off on the Webster references for another 10 seasons if that is OK.

Oh, Revs.....you are not blind or ignorant........but you gotta admitt that you can get ..."hateful", at times. :wink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
i was gonna say maybe shipley has room to bulk up but the dude is totally yoked.

hes built like a tank (or like billybobs t-rex sig- with bench pressers arms of course)

Yeah, he is the proverbial "brick $hithouse". If he actually had longer arms than an alligator, he would be 320lbs. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, he is the proverbial "brick $hithouse". If he actually had longer arms than an alligator, he would be 320lbs. :chuckle:lol... 10 lbs. a hamhock arm sounds about right! i hear when he hikes the ball, he hits himself in the stomach with it.

Texasteel
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM

I know how you feel. I'm starting to eat small birds, hoping for a crow main course in a few short months my self.

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I can do nothing but wish Shipley the best of luck in his Steeler future. It'll be interesting to see if he can make the team. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Who's Lil animal anyway?

I can see that Wells would start but the rest are a serious longshot I would think on opening day.

Lautinaitis will start in St. Louis on opening day.
Malcolm Jenkins will start for New Orleans on opening day.
Chris Wells will start for Arizona on opening day.

And I'd be willing to wager Robiskie is one of the Browns starting WR's on opening day, too. So 4 out of 7 (almost 60%) OSU players drafted will almost definitely start opening day. Not too shabby for an "overrated program with overrated players".

Steeldude
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
it also depends on where the rookies go. i doubt any of the players you listed would start in pittsburgh in year 1.

revefsreleets
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
it also depends on where the rookies go. i doubt any of the players you listed would start in pittsburgh in year 1.

Christ, I sure hope so! That would mean teams were drfating players they didn't actually need.

I'd argue that any of the 3 could possibly start on the Steelers. Chris Wells is bigger and stronger and almost as fast as Mendy and Parker. Lil Animal would give Farrior a run for his money, but would probably sit because Farrior is vastly more experienced. He'd DEFINITELY be #2 on the depth chart behind Timmons and Farrior, though, because currently our ILB depth consists of Faox and only Fox. Jenkins would have to beat out Gay/Townsend which wouldn't be impossible considering that OSU's defense asked him to do a lot of the same things the Steelers D would.

Regardless, my point stands. I defend my college team vehemently NOT simply because I'm a blind homer, but because my statements have merit and are based on observed empirical data.

lilyoder6
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
And I'd be willing to wager Robiskie is one of the Browns starting WR's on opening day, too.

thats not saying too much.. when the browns let there #3 wr go.. there #2 wr is on trial for dui manslaughter.. and ewdards possibly being traded...

Give It To Abercrombie
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Just an example (http://forums.signonsandiego.com/archive/index.php/t-27493.html) of why the Wonderlic is anything but reliable.

Sean Taylor(r.i.p.) scored the WORST among safeties, and yet ended up being one of the best safeties in the game. Compare Teddy Lehman, who got the highest score of LB's(39), to Karlos Dansby who scored a 10. Look at what those two have done up to this point in their careers. I'll take Dansby over Lehman any day. Oh, and Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, and Randall Cunningham all scored 15. Ryan Leaf(27) scored better than Big Ben(25). the wonderlic is hit or miss at best.

The Wonderlic may not be reliable but I think a guy who scores over 25 has a better chance of success than some dumber-than-a-bag-of-hammers numb-nuts who scored a 10.

Give It To Abercrombie
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Christ, I sure hope so! That would mean teams were drfating players they didn't actually need.

I'd argue that any of the 3 could possibly start on the Steelers. Chris Wells is bigger and stronger and almost as fast as Mendy and Parker. Lil Animal would give Farrior a run for his money, but would probably sit because Farrior is vastly more experienced. He'd DEFINITELY be #2 on the depth chart behind Timmons and Farrior, though, because currently our ILB depth consists of Faox and only Fox. Jenkins would have to beat out Gay/Townsend which wouldn't be impossible considering that OSU's defense asked him to do a lot of the same things the Steelers D would.

Regardless, my point stands. I defend my college team vehemently NOT simply because I'm a blind homer, but because my statements have merit and are based on observed empirical data.

I was all behind your posts here until this, ya had me in your corner.

Wells would be 50/50 to start. I'd lean not. Mendenhall didn't start and was drafted what, 8 spots higher?

No chance Lauranitis would sniff Farrior's jock first year. No way. Year two? Maybe. Maybe.

Jenkins? Nope, but that's not an indictment on him, just the way our system is set up. I don't think Rod Woodson would start here as a rookie.

revefsreleets
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I was all behind your posts here until this, ya had me in your corner.

Wells would be 50/50 to start. I'd lean not. Mendenhall didn't start and was drafted what, 8 spots higher?

No chance Lauranitis would sniff Farrior's jock first year. No way. Year two? Maybe. Maybe.

Jenkins? Nope, but that's not an indictment on him, just the way our system is set up. I don't think Rod Woodson would start here as a rookie.

50/50 on Wells is fair.

Farrior is no Spring chicken, but, again, expereince, particularly in our scheme beats out talent. Farrior starts.

Jenkins has to compete against Gay and Townsend. That is not as outlandish as it seems. It's possible (not probable) that one of the rooks could beat one of the vets out here. Jenkins would certainly figure into the mix.

It's all if and maybe's anyway, but the point is that OSU's draft picks will far outperform the usual 2% of rooks starting.

SteelMember
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

:huh:

I'm a little confused on this. In reguards to using "my college team".

I thought you graduated a Zip. Dosen't that make them "your team"? :noidea:

Steeldude
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
The Wonderlic may not be reliable but I think a guy who scores over 25 has a better chance of success than some dumber-than-a-bag-of-hammers numb-nuts who scored a 10.

yep and it depends on their positions too. i wouldn't want an idiot in charge of making line calls or audibles. then again some players are football smart, but are unable to recite the alphabet.

i believe QBs and O-linemen score the highest on average.

i personally like the wonderlic test, not as an end-all-be-all measuring stick, but just as another tool to help evaluate.

revefsreleets
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
:huh:

I'm a little confused on this. In reguards to using "my college team".

I thought you graduated a Zip. Dosen't that make them "your team"? :noidea:

I'm Akron alum, but a Buckeye at heart, and have been since I was a little kid.

You aren't suggesting that only graduates of a particular school are allowed to be fans are you?

SteelMember
05-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm Akron alum, but a Buckeye at heart, and have been since I was a little kid.

You aren't suggesting that only graduates of a particular school are allowed to be fans are you?

No. Just curious. You have an obvious "fire" about it.

If I did, 2/3rds of the vehicles in Georgia would need to scrape off their bulldog stickers and put up the high school they may have graduated from. :sofunny:

rbryan
05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
lol....I live in GA and know what you mean. I think it's closer to 90%