View Full Version : Black and Gold in Ward's Blood

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 05:30 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105398/

Black and gold in Ward's blood
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Hines Ward knows that in today’s NFL it’s a rarity for someone to play their entire career with one team. And now he has the perfect opportunity to buck the trend and do just that.

“Not too many guys in this league, especially during free agency time, can say they got drafted by a team, started with them and were able to finish their career here,” said Ward. “It’s a big honor. Now I have that opportunity. I couldn't even see myself in another uniform but a Steeler uniform.”

Ward was entering the final year of his contract, but pretty much secured retiring in a Steelers uniform when he signed an extension that will keep him with the team for five more seasons.

“It’s real good to have it done,” said Ward. “You can go into training camp and not have to worry if you are going to be here next year or not. There is still a lot of football left in me. I am not ready to give it up yet.

“The commitment they made to me giving me an extension, they saw something they really liked. They put trust in me that I will be a quality player the next few years. I am happy. I think both teams are happy. Now we can move forward and make more runs at the Super Bowl.”

Ward has set every Steelers record, surpassing Hall of Fame wide receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth along the way. But he still has goals he wants to attain. He would like to reach 10,000 yards for his career, and is only 220 yards shy of that.

“It’s crazy, I have 800 catches and almost 10,000 yards and to do it for the best organization in the NFL, I never would have envisioned that,” said Ward. “To be able to surpass the greats in Stallworth and Swann, what more can you ask for out of a career.”

What could be in the asking for Ward is a few more Super Bowl rings. Ward would love nothing more than to do what the Steelers of the 70’s did, winning four Super Bowl titles. And he will give his all to accomplish that.

“My job is to go out there and continue to play hard,” said Ward. “When I leave this game I want the Steelers Nation to say he was one of the great players to wear the uniform.”

oldschool
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Great post, thanks,

He's one of my favorite players, I have a full size autographed helmet :helmet:signed by Hines in the "Steelers Room", that my son bought me for Christmas about 5 years ago, that seems like a long time ago based on the current NFL. It's great that he has been a Steeler for all these many years and it is good to know he will finish he's career wearing Black and Gold!:tt:

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Hines Ward is one of my all-time favorite Steelers. I'm so happy he signed that extension to retire a Steeler. :tt02: :tt03: :applaudit:

Psyychoward86
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Dam straight. Psycho Ward gets to be psycho for a couple more years. I dont care if you suffer a season ending injury and you get cut (ok, well i do but just making a point), im going to miss watching your butt on the field every Sunday, smiling, knocking down the bigmouths, and burning them with clutch catches. Pittsburgh loves you :tt:

Big7BenHOF
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm so glad he got that extension. I could never EVER see him in a different uniform.

steelerdave1969
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I love Hines and what he brings to the game everytime he is on the field.. the guy plays hurt and he hurts people... what more could you ask for?... I love this quote as well....

“My job is to go out there and continue to play hard,” said Ward. “When I leave this game I want the Steelers Nation to say he was one of the great players to wear the uniform.”

How can you not love this guy?... oh... if your a Ravens fan I guess... :chuckle:

lilyoder6
05-05-2009, 06:55 PM
that was a good read.. ward is an awesome player...

good 2 see him retire a steeler

19ward86
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
best all around reciever in the NFL

mesaSteeler
05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Good post. His attitude is exactly what we need to mold our younger receivers into stars.

Rek
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Dam straight. Psycho Ward gets to be psycho for a couple more years. I dont care if you suffer a season ending injury and you get cut (ok, well i do but just making a point), im going to miss watching your butt on the field every Sunday, smiling, knocking down the bigmouths, and burning them with clutch catches. Pittsburgh loves you :tt:

LOL. As soon as I saw this thread I figured you would be happy and be one of the first to post.

Here's to many more years of Pittsburgh going Psycho for Ward. :tt03::tt03:

FSUBoo
05-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Looking at Wards career, I think he's in the same boat as Jerome Bettis. Not the best numbers of all time at their position, but they should be sure fire HOFers just for the way they played the game. Ward is the master of the crackback and plays with a toughness you see only in a once in a generation type of player. I love Ward as a Steeler and it will be a shame when he does retire. At least we have a few more years of time left with him as a WR for us. As long as he is playing, the Ravens will have to pay more attention to him and leave another player open up the field.

Galax Steeler
05-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Nice read, I just love watching Hines play every sunday just waiting for that knock out hit. He is so fun to watch and I am glad he is with the steelers.

steelwall
05-06-2009, 06:41 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105398/

Black and gold in Ward's blood
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Hines Ward knows that in today’s NFL it’s a rarity for someone to play their entire career with one team.

.”

Look people.... We keep our "Steeler" players... and they want to stay with us... We aint 'the patriots' we aint the 'bungles'.... we are a tradition.... a winning tradition... players accept smaller salaries just to stay here.. (true some do opt for the BIG bucks... but they never go down in famed, Steeler history)

We have a shyte load to be proud of, and noone can take that away...

Keep your F'n cheaters and your thugs.. We'll not sell our souls for a FF talent... We have won the most Super Bowls and did it without comprimising our morals....

So suck it teams... We are the champions... and we dare you to try and take that away...

I just removed a tear from my eye... lol..

hindes204
05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Look people.... We keep our "Steeler" players... and they want to stay with us... We aint 'the patriots' we aint the 'bungles'.... we are a tradition.... a winning tradition... players accept smaller salaries just to stay here.. (true some do opt for the BIG bucks... but they never go down in famed, Steeler history)

We have a shyte load to be proud of, and noone can take that away...

Keep your F'n cheaters and your thugs.. We'll not sell our souls for a FF talent... We have won the most Super Bowls and did it without comprimising our morals....

So suck it teams... We are the champions... and we dare you to try and take that away...

I just removed a tear from my eye... lol..

shyte man, i just removed a tear from my eye, lol...well said

Edman
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Ward is the quinessential Steeler. Plays the game hard and gives it 110%. His underrated demeaner drives him. A rare case of old school attitude in an era of me-first prima donna WR's that love the spotlight on ESPN. And you gotta love that smile.

Ward will go down in with the all time Pittsburgh greats one day. His legend is endless. Here's to more Psycho Ward for the next few years.

Rek
05-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Ward is the quinessential Steeler. Plays the game hard and gives it 110%. His underrated demeaner drives him. A rare case of old school attitude in an era of me-first prima donna WR's that love the spotlight on ESPN. And you gotta love that smile.

Ward will go down in with the all time Pittsburgh greats one day. His legend is endless. Here's to more Psycho Ward for the next few years.

But ESPN would have you believe Randy Moss or T.O. would be a better receiver than Mr. Ward. :wink02:

PisnNapalm
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Hines is a Steeler through and through. Jerome is too. IT's too bad he didn't start his career with us.

Hines though... I hope he knows when it's time to hang em up and that he can walk away without regrets. Jerome knew it was past time and is happy with his decision. I'm confident Hines will know too.

Its an absolute pleasure watching him play football for the Steelers. He gives everything he can out on the field.

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Still can't believe we signed an old receiver who can't stretch the field and is slow to a 5 year deal when he isn't even 6'4. :coffee:

Sorry I just got done watching ESPN and forgot I'm not a Cowboys or Patriots fan. I can formulate my own opinion!

It's going to be very nostalgic when I explain to people how great it was during 04 and 05 to have Ben, Polamalu, Bettis, and Ward on the team. I think Ward and Bettis are surefire HoFamers, Ben is likely, and I really think Polamalu will be as well if he pumps out another 4 or 5 years. That's not even counting guys who are possibles, Faneca, Hartings, Porter, possibly Harrison if he has another great 2-3 years...definitely never be another draft like '74, but just like the 70s, we're going to pump out a lot of HoFamers in these ten years.

And I firmly believe a large reason is the attitude Ward, and also Bettis, instilled in this era.