PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre to meet with Vikes

Carolina Steelers
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

Im losing respect for Favre I think he just wants to play for the Vikings so he can play the Packers twice. He got off to a good start last year with the Jets but then you saw what happened at the end. I think hes got nothing left.

BehindSteelCurtain
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I think he is still mad about how things went when he left Green bay.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I think he's wanting to try and stick it to the Packers.

He's still holding a grudge that the Packers didn't welcome him back with open arms from his original retirement.

If he does end up a Viking, he will become a hated figure in Green Bay, especially if he plays a large role in keeping the Packers out of the playoffs.

Psyychoward86
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Look-out-Packers-Brett-Favre-wants-revenge?urn=nfl,161041

Here it says revenge against the Packers might be a reason for returning, but i don't trust any writers on Yahoo Sports except Michael Silver. I myself lives in Wisconsin, so you can imagine what a big Brett Favre fan I am. But ive been losing more and more respect for him ever since his fake cry baby retirement press conference, to his epic failure with the Jets to NOW. You had a good run Brett. PLEASE, STAY HOME!

Edman
05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
You got the Chronology wrong. Brett Favre doesn't meet with teams. Teams meet with Brett Favre.

If Favre is returning with the Vikes just to get back at the Packers, he's an even bigger douchebag than I thought. He's already one of my most despised players. If Brett returns with the Vikes, I'm rooting for the Packers (And the Steelers) to demolish him.

revefsreleets
05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
He's becoming a mercenary, I guess...with a personal vendetta.

Many bad movies starring Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Segal were made based on this very premise in the 80's. Favre, if he's not careful, will end up being viewed exactly like those guys...

steelerdave1969
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I dont know why it is here, but I am one that really dont care whether he comes back or not, but I think the Vikings are backing up if they sign the guy myself...

HometownGal
05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Thread moved.

I respect and admire Favre for all of his accomplishments over the seasons he's played, but to be quite honest here - I'm sick to death of hearing about him and his obvious obsession with drama. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Great - the annual soap opera begins again. :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
madden is probably pondering his retirement as well.....i'm sure he'd love another season of farve nob polishng....:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
At least its earlier in the year then last year.

AllD
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
He should go bowling with Mike Tyson.

silver & black
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL... Favre is becoming the "Al Davis" of players... instead of bowing out with dignity, while his legacy is intact...he just keeps coming back to tear it down. Pretty soon, no one will remember what a great player he was, they'll just remember an old fool that didn't know when to give it up.

Fire Haley
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Go Brett! Go to the Vikings!

KFFL - Updating a previous report, Ed Werder, of ESPN.com, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress will talk with retired QB Brett Favre (Jets) about the possibility of coming out of retirement and playing for the Vikings in 2009, according to a source. The understanding is Favre will decide if he will play this season shortly after the meeting.

The Duke
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Favre was my childhood hero. Now I wonder where all that admiration has gone

Seriously favre, stop it!!

though when you think about it, he's better than any qb on the vikes....

steelwall
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Here we go again....

JPPT1974
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Favre is like the energizer bunny! Keeps going and going!

Psyychoward86
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Favre is like the energizer bunny! Keeps going and going!

And failing and failing...

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
And in other news, Brett Favre retires then unretires. What else is new? :noidea:

Fire Haley
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
ha ha!

http://media2.620wtmj.com/wmn/favre.jpg

tony hipchest
05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
i love it! :applaudit:

Steeler in Carolina
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Can Favre please go away.

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
For as much respect as I have for Favre, he needs to actually retire when he says he's going to.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2009, 12:33 AM
I never admired Favre, but respected how he played. Now I am ashamed that he ever played the game of football.

If Favre gave me a signed packer jersey, I would burn it in front of him. His theatrics over the past 4 seasons make a mockery of the game that Chuck Bednarik, Jim Brown, John Unitas, Jack Lambert, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke played with dignity, desire and toughness.

Crushzilla
05-06-2009, 12:44 AM
I, too, love it.

In other and unrelated news...

John Madden is considering coming out of retirement.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I, too, love it.

In other and unrelated news...

John Madden is considering coming out of retirement. :rofl:

Yeah, Favre coming out of retirement is almost becoming cliche. Its like "Lindsay Lohan is checking into rehab", "Joan Collins is getting divorced" or "John Rocker said something racist".

trauben
05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
So, Brett wants to go down in the history books as being a complete ass instead of one of the most respected QBs? Last year tested it, this year erases the respect. He's a baby throwing a temper tantrum. Can you imagine if Terry had done that? What an ass.

Kittyfish
05-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I have never seen anybody work so hard to tarnish a once Sterling reputation. He is not who we thought he was and I for one would be happy if I never heard his name again.

The_WARDen
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Favre is a ego driven prima donna punk! I used to be a huge fan back in the 90's when he looked like a big kid having fun and playing the game the "right way".

He has ruined that image for me now...I no longer remember the guy tearing off his helmet and running across the field after throwing a TD in his first Super Bowl. Instead, all I see is selfish ego-maniac determined to stick it to his old boss...oh and by the way, all those loyal fans along the way.

KeiselPower99
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
To be honest I wanna see him go off in a high note then the sur grapes Jets bs he did last year.

Steelman16
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Way to to put up the capstone of idiocy on your career, Brett. :coffee:

If he does sign with the Vikes, I hope Green Bay pounds the crap out of him.

stlrtruck
05-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Damn it, THE DRAMA CONTINUES!

Please Brett - STAY RETIRED!!!!!

trauben
05-07-2009, 07:40 AM
I think he's after this......
http://www.herdolls.com/images/tierra.gif
and the title of drama Queen!

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:XMeKfJp64JCtUM:http://rickrickert.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/brettfavre.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rickrickert.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/brettfavre.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rickrickert.com/wpress/tag/vikings/&usg=__rDV0zSRQBHrPFXkzqmRlZ2Bzy6k=&h=800&w=605&sz=128&hl=en&start=16&tbnid=XMeKfJp64JCtUM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbrett%2Bfavre%2Bvikings%26gbv%3D2%26h l%3Den)

rbryan
05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I think Favre was content to fade away until ESPN pushed this story the day the Jets officially released him. Another instance of ESPN creating news instead of reporting it.

Its kinda like poking a stick at a bear in hibernation.........do it long enough and the bear will come out of the cave and bite your head off.

Dino 6 Rings
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Ok, here is my take on the Brett Favre deal.

First, I think the Packers fcked up last year in not welcoming him back. 2nd, I think the Packers STUCK IT to Favre by not releasing him out right and forcing his hand to have to have to play for the Jets, which is like, a death sentence. Jets are horrible, the facilities are horrible, the stadium is horrible and the fans are horrible.

Next. I wish Marino would have came back for one more year, sure he was old, but man, I loved watching the guy play. Same for Montana, and even Elway. When you're that good, and leave the game, the game loses something special. I hate to see it.

If Favre is willing to put in the work that it will require to play at a High Level and not break down toward the end of the season (which is what happened last year) then I see nothing wrong with him coming back.

Going to the Vikings is not a bad thing for him professionally. He knows the division opponents well, so film study will be cake. He knows the offensive system as well. He has a Stud to hand the ball off to, pretty ok Oline and a really up and coming defense. Plus with Harvin running around like a headless chicken off screen passes and quick slants, it could be an awesome season for the Vikings if they only had a really good QB.

Can Favre be that QB? I don't know, but if he's willing to put in the off season work on his old body to try, I'm all about watching to see what he can get done.

I look forward to seeing the Steelers smash his skull in when we play the Vikings, and if he does what he hopes to do, I look foward to seeing my Steelers Crush his will to live in the Super Bowl.

But come on back Brett, the game you love, still loves you.

revefsreleets
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Question: Is ESPN running with the Brett Favre retirement scroll 24/7 like the last time he did this?

ShutDown24
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
You got the Chronology wrong. Brett Favre doesn't meet with teams. Teams meet with Brett Favre.

That's really, really funny.

KeiselPower99
05-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Ok, here is my take on the Brett Favre deal.

First, I think the Packers fcked up last year in not welcoming him back. 2nd, I think the Packers STUCK IT to Favre by not releasing him out right and forcing his hand to have to have to play for the Jets, which is like, a death sentence. Jets are horrible, the facilities are horrible, the stadium is horrible and the fans are horrible.

Next. I wish Marino would have came back for one more year, sure he was old, but man, I loved watching the guy play. Same for Montana, and even Elway. When you're that good, and leave the game, the game loses something special. I hate to see it.

If Favre is willing to put in the work that it will require to play at a High Level and not break down toward the end of the season (which is what happened last year) then I see nothing wrong with him coming back.

Going to the Vikings is not a bad thing for him professionally. He knows the division opponents well, so film study will be cake. He knows the offensive system as well. He has a Stud to hand the ball off to, pretty ok Oline and a really up and coming defense. Plus with Harvin running around like a headless chicken off screen passes and quick slants, it could be an awesome season for the Vikings if they only had a really good QB.

Can Favre be that QB? I don't know, but if he's willing to put in the off season work on his old body to try, I'm all about watching to see what he can get done.

I look forward to seeing the Steelers smash his skull in when we play the Vikings, and if he does what he hopes to do, I look foward to seeing my Steelers Crush his will to live in the Super Bowl.

But come on back Brett, the game you love, still loves you.

I have to agree with ya on the majority of your post. The NFL without Favre isnt the NFL. If he feels like he can still play and lets be obvious here the guy still has it then he should be out there. And besides who wouldnt wanna stick it to the guys who kicked you out?

rbryan
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Nobody kicked him out in GB, they just got sick of his annual BS, wishy washy, don't know if I wanna play or not act for years on end.

When a QB (moreso than any other position) can't decide if he wants to play until right before the season starts every year because he doesn't like to train or practicie in the offseason, he is putting his team at a huge disadvantage.

Sharkissle29
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Favre is such an attention profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter, NEWSFLASH: NO ONE CARES

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
im with Dino. nobody bashes bill parcells and the 5 times he's unretired. thats cause parcells makes teams and the nfl better.

favre has hired a personal trainer and has agreed to undergo a shoulder surgery that would ensure he would be ready for camp.

he's coming back. and while i was rooting for a steelers/packers SB in '10, i may wanna see steelers/vikings instead.

rbryan
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
If Favre coming back means a Steeler / Vikings SB, I'm all for it.

Edman
05-07-2009, 02:47 PM

The Packers waited on Favre to make his decision after he threw away the NFC Championship game to the Giants.

Favre chose to "retire". He gave the goodbye speech and everything.

Packers decide to move on with Aaron Rodgers. Brett, being the egomaniac that he is returns wanting to play all over again. The Packers welcome him back but he will be a backup.

Brett whines to the media to get the public on his side, coming with a tale that the Pack were "pushing" him out. He asks for a release. Packers, taking the immense PR hit from their Favre nuthugging fanbase, try to negotiate. There is an impasse and Brett is released and plays for New York. BTW, he pulled this same crap to them this year, too. Though it's not quite as ugly.

But hey, if you want to believe the Packers screwed Brett over by saying no more to his little retirement game, go on ahead.

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
yahoo sports is reporting that favre has informed the vikings he is staying retired.

stay tuned

Edman
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Bill Parcells' retirements never made it a circus with his team each and every year.

Favre's retirement soap opera has been going for consecutive years. There is no comparison.

rbryan
05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm going to be really upset if this means we're not playing the Vikings in the SB now.

rbryan
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Breaking news.......the BS story completely fabricated by ESPN regarding Brett Favre's return to the NFL is apparently nothing more than..............a BS story completely fabricated by ESPN.

In related news, BSPN wil have a special 6 hour show tonight to discuss what this really means in regards to Brett Favres future and potential suitors in case he does decide to return. Not to be outdone, the NFL Network has cancelled all programming previously scheduled for the next two days to discuss the Favre saga in more detail.

beSteelmyheart
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Breaking news.......the BS story completely fabricated by ESPN regarding Brett Favre's return to the NFL is apparently nothing more than..............a BS story completely fabricated by ESPN.

In related news, BSPN wil have a special 6 hour show tonight to discuss what this really means in regards to Brett Favres future and potential suitors in case he does decide to return. Not to be outdone, the NFL Network has cancelled all programming previously scheduled for the next two days to discuss the Favre saga in more detail.
Ugh! Don't we know it!
I swear I'm so sick of this guy & would absolutely love to watch Harrison level him on the field. It would be priceless. As far as him taking the Vikes or anyone else to the SuperBowl, I doubt that very much. His days are done.

Dino 6 Rings
05-08-2009, 08:40 AM
The Packers waited on Favre to make his decision after he threw away the NFC Championship game to the Giants.

Favre chose to "retire". He gave the goodbye speech and everything.

Packers decide to move on with Aaron Rodgers. Brett, being the egomaniac that he is returns wanting to play all over again. The Packers welcome him back but he will be a backup.

Brett whines to the media to get the public on his side, coming with a tale that the Pack were "pushing" him out. He asks for a release. Packers, taking the immense PR hit from their Favre nuthugging fanbase, try to negotiate. There is an impasse and Brett is released and plays for New York. BTW, he pulled this same crap to them this year, too. Though it's not quite as ugly.

But hey, if you want to believe the Packers screwed Brett over by saying no more to his little retirement game, go on ahead.

Ok, now I'll retort.

The Packers did force him out. The GM and Coach wanted to go with youth on the entire team and had been getting rid of Veterans for years. They also made no effort to get any "play makers" for Brett on the offensive side of the ball. All the stars from the 07 season were guys we'd never heard of before Brett made them Famous. They pushed him in March to make his decision, under the guise of needing to know for the draft.

Then, when he mentions he may want to come back they offered him 20 Million dollars to stay retired. Don't you remember that? They were going to Pay him to NOT PLAY!. Then they suggest he could come back and be the back up? What was that? Then they say in august that he's welcome back, if he's reinstated, then he's reinstated and they don't welcome him back and instead work out a deal with the Jets that prevents Brett from playing where he really felt he could make the most impact and have a chance to win, Minnesota.

So yeah, you go ahead and beleive what the Packers say, I'll take what I see. I see a team that wanted to move on, for the sake of moving on, hoped to buy off their Super Star to prevent him from playing for a Rival, then forced him to play for the Jets, which he did, because he loves the game.

Edman
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Wouldn't you think that the Packers were getting fed up with Brett's indecisiveness and hogtieing their offseasons with his issues? It may have been a few years too late, but it was about time the Packers put the pressure on Brett to make a decision. Either you play or you don't. If you can play, play. Brett didn't want to make that easy, though. He had to take interviews and sob to BSPN about "I don't have it anymore". "I don't know if I can do this any longer", or "The grind is taking it's toll".

Faced that the Packers were getting sick of his games and the organization is not going to wait on HIS terms anymore, Brett decided to "retire". The rest is history. They offered him the 20 million dollar contract to not play after Brett decided to unretire a short time later.

The only things the Packers can be faulted is failure in finding playmakers for Favre to play with and waiting so long to stand up to him and allow Favre to achieve this "I'm Brett Favre and I can do what I want" stigma. At the end of the day, Brett Favre is a football player. No player should be placed above the organization. No matter how popular they are.

Dino 6 Rings
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
How about this. I argue the following teams would take Brett Favre right now going into the 09 season for just one year instead of who they currently have under center:

Washington
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
Houston
Jacksonville
San Francisco
St Louis (maybe)

Favre would make any of those teams a playoff contender today.

Mags87
05-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Saw on the ESPN ticker that they sent X-rays of his shoulder to the Vikings. if it doesnt require major surgery, they will sign him. So great news for Minnesota, i think im gonna take the 4 hour drive to the Metrodome for the Bears game this year.

LambertIsGod58
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

Im losing respect for Favre I think he just wants to play for the Vikings so he can play the Packers twice. He got off to a good start last year with the Jets but then you saw what happened at the end. I think hes got nothing left.

Torn bicep can take alot out of the tank.....He wasn't healthy the last half of the year.

LambertIsGod58
05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I never admired Favre, but respected how he played. Now I am ashamed that he ever played the game of football.

If Favre gave me a signed packer jersey, I would burn it in front of him. His theatrics over the past 4 seasons make a mockery of the game that Chuck Bednarik, Jim Brown, John Unitas, Jack Lambert, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke played with dignity, desire and toughness.

Yeah, total mockery of the game at 269 consecutive starts. No toughness involved there. :coffee:

Fire Haley
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
NFL | Favre's injury could be worse than thought

Sat, 09 May 2009 07:03:17 -0700

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports there is a palpable fear around free-agent QB Brett Favre (shoulder) that there is a more serious injury to his shoulder.

One source said, "If you put your finger in (Favre's) shoulder it goes right through. That's not a good sign. There's a reason why he hasn't picked up a football yet." The fear, according to two sources, is that one of three other injuries will be found: additional damage to the rotator cuff; that the biceps tendon has come out of its groove, possibly by a rupture in the sheath that surrounds it; or that there is cartilage damage in the shoulder. Any of the three would likely end Favre's latest comeback attempt.

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, total mockery of the game at 269 consecutive starts. No toughness involved there. :coffee:

His theatrics over the past four years HAS made a mockery of the game. People say Ben's a prima donna, what about golden boy Favre? I hope to God someone signs him to a 7 year deal and sits his ass, eliminating once and for all the possibility of him playing again.

I'm sick of hearing about it, and even worse I'm sick of everyone else not being sick of hearing about it.

HometownGal
05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm sick of hearing about it

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit::hatsoff:

Unless you're a Vikes fan, who really cares what Favre does anyway? :doh:

MACH1
05-11-2009, 10:41 AM

http://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/brett-favre-superman.gif

Fire Haley
05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
He's not dead yet...

NFL | Favre experimenting with an exercise to help tendon

Fri, 15 May 2009 13:24:48 -0700

Updating a previous report, Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, report retired QB Brett Favre (Jets) experimented with Dr. James Andrews on one of several exercises that could accelerate the process of the tendon releasing on its own, according to a source. It is not known if Favre would decide to undergo surgery if the exercise does not work.

Godfather
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
His theatrics over the past four years HAS made a mockery of the game.

He's far from the only player who's done that. Kurt Warner hemmed and hawed about retirement too. The only difference is when it's Brett, BSPN does 24-7 coverage.

BehindSteelCurtain
05-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Referring to your list, i have to disagree with St. Louis......Bulger is good, he just can't stay healthy because he takes to many hits.

AllD
05-16-2009, 05:22 PM
This story is approaching Brittny Spears or Paris Hilton territory without the beaver flash or rack.

JPPT1974
05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Well we are playing the guessing game with Brett it seems.
With Vikes or any other team!

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
The Saga continues...I say he's gonna milk it again till training camps start.

NFL | Favre surgery not imminent

Contrary to a previous item, Ed Werder, of ESPN.com, reports free-agent QB Brett Favre (Jets) does not have an appointment with Dr. James Andrews Tuesday, May 19, and doesn't consider surgery on his partially torn biceps tendon to be imminent, according to a source.

Favre remains focused on non-surgical options, including cortisone injections and natural movements like light throwing and bicep curls that might cause the tendon to release naturally, the source said. If the tendon releases and the pain subsides, Favre is virtually certain to play again. If he has surgery and his arm strength diminishes or the pain remains, he will remain retired.

fansince'76
05-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Well we are playing the guessing game with Brett it seems.

Well, those of us who actually give a rat's ass about it, anyway. :yawn:

steelerdave1969
05-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I just wish the guy would go get a $10 an hour job somewhere in Millwaukee..:popcorn:

lilyoder6
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
i think that if the vikings don't get favre...

they may actually look at vick... i mean if he still has the goods.. he is alrdy better than T.J. and sage

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
i think that if the vikings don't get favre...

they may actually look at vick... i mean if he still has the goods.. he is alrdy better than T.J. and sage

I don't think any owner with a smidgeon of a brain cell would consider signing that douchebag knowing that he won't gain most of his teammates' respect and will feel the fans disgust and ire.

As for Favre - go write a book or something for God's sake. It would probably be a best seller on the drama list. :rolleyes: