PDA

View Full Version : Male 'contraceptive jab' closer

SteelersMongol
05-06-2009, 01:43 AM
A male contraceptive jab could be as effective at preventing pregnancies as the female pill or condoms, work shows.

The monthly testosterone injection works by temporarily blocking sperm production and could revolutionise birth control, experts believe.

In trials in China only one man in 100 fathered a child while on the injections, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism reports.

Six months after stopping the jabs the men's sperm counts returned to normal.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45735000/jpg/_45735850__39417070_injection203-1.jpg

Family planning campaigners welcomed the news and said they hoped an injection would give couples more choice and enable men to take a greater share of the responsibility for contraception.

But experts said more trials were needed to check the safety of the jab.

Previous attempts to develop an effective and convenient male contraceptive have encountered problems over reliability and side effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.

Despite the injection having no serious side effects, almost a third of the 1,045 men in the two-and-a-half year trial did not complete it and no reason was given for this.

More choice

Lead researcher Dr Yi-Qun Gu, from the National Research Institute for Family Planning in Beijing, China, said: "For couples who cannot, or prefer not to use only female-orientated contraception, options have been limited to vasectomy, condom and withdrawal.

"Our study shows a male hormonal contraceptive regimen may be a potential, novel and workable alternative."

He said if further tests proved successful the treatment could become widely available in five years from now.

Mr Laurence Shaw, of the London Bridge Fertility Centre and the British Fertility Society, said: "If a male contraceptive like this became available it would be great and would give people another choice.

"It would empower men to make a decision which involves more than just a condom. At the moment the onus is on the woman and men do not have that much choice.

"But we have been here before with testosterone as a method of contraception. We need more rigorous safety testing."

He said in trials, the female Pill was still more effective as a contraceptive than the new jab, but that in real life they might be comparable because it is easier to forget to take a pill.

A spokeswoman from Marie Stopes International said: "This is a very positive step forward. The more range of contraceptives there are, the better.

"But if this does become available men should still remember that it will not protect them against sexually transmitted infections and they should still use a condom."

Rebecca Findlay of the Family Planning Association said: "In the past fpa has asked men if they would use hormonal contraception, and a third gave a definite yes they would.

"More research is needed to make sure that any new method is safe and effective, but men will welcome the continued search to give them more control over their fertility and sexual health."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8033218.stm

:chuckle: Guys, the women R finally getting what they want. Equality in bed. :laughing:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-06-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't want to guinea pig that one, I will stick to old faithful.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2009, 02:08 AM
side effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.
kinda sounds like to me that it turns you into a woman....:noidea:

revefsreleets
05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
My rule of thumb has pretty much always been "Their mouth can't get pregnant"...

xfl2001fan
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
My rule of thumb has pretty much always been "Their mouth can't get pregnant"...

HAHAHAHAHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm about to get in trouble with the wife...because I'm using that one on her.

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM

:banana::applaudit:

Now if they can only come up with an injection so that men can menstruate, conceive, carry babies to term, go through squeezing a bowling ball through the eye of a needle (labor and delivery), breast feed and deal with the hells of menopause, we ladies would feel vindicated! :drink:

trauben
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Now if they can only come up with an injection so that men can menstruate, conceive, carry babies to term, go through squeezing a bowling ball through the eye of a needle (labor and delivery), breast feed and deal with the hells of menopause, we ladies would feel vindicated! :drink:
:rofl:

I can see it now, there's a heated moment with potential to go further when the woman asks the man, "Do you have a condom?" and he won't be supplied and instead replies, "We're protected. I've taken my shots." What smart woman would truly believe that line? I can understand guys wanting it just to cover their rear regarding children, especially celebrity types, but why would any woman believe that if she's trying to be careful?

xfl2001fan
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM

I can see it now, there's a heated moment with potential to go further when the woman asks the man, "Do you have a condom?" and he won't be supplied and instead replies, "We're protected. I've taken my shots." What smart woman would truly believe that line? I can understand guys wanting it just to cover their rear regarding children, especially celebrity types, but why would any woman believe that if she's trying to be careful?

I would suspect that the Shot is more used for couples trying to not have kids. If you're single and hooking up on a regular basis (casual sex and all that jazz) then you should be using protection regardless. The shot doesn't prevent you from getting/giving an STD.

Although, if you consider pregnancy an STD...then it does prevent one.

trauben
05-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Although, if you consider pregnancy an STD....

I think this guy does........

http://www.grioo.com/images/rubriques/6/5335.jpg

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM

As soon as they move women's ovaries to a bag between their legs where your organs get bumped, smacked, hit, sat on, and smashed on a regular basis, they will get to work on the above :flap:

Actually, one could argue that PMS and menopause affect the man equally. We do have to deal with Dr. Jeykl and Mr. Hyde simultaneously without ever knowing which one you are speaking to.

I've had kidney stones, so I feel you on the labor thing. Though I didn't get the pleasure before hand, I sure got the pain afterward. :drink:

xfl2001fan
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I've had kidney stones, so I feel you on the labor thing. Though I didn't get the pleasure before hand, I sure got the pain afterward. :drink:

Did you get to keep and nurture your child? Laugh with it? Cry with it? Share in it's discoveries, pains and joys? Did you have the opportunity to breastfeed it?

Seems like you got a raw deal to me.

trauben
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
As soon as they move women's ovaries to a bag between their legs where your organs get bumped, smacked, hit, sat on, and smashed on a regular basis, they will get to work on the above :flap:
I'll keep the indoor plumbing, thank you. :hatsoff:

Actually, one could argue that PMS and menopause affect the man equally. We do have to deal with Dr. Jeykl and Mr. Hyde simultaneously without ever knowing which one you are speaking to.
You know? Every 28 days you'd know when to expect it. That is if a guy's really into his woman and all that jazz. :noidea:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
You know? Every 28 days you'd know when to expect it. That is if a guy's really into his woman and all that jazz. :noidea:

Doesn't make it any easier though.

My girlfriend knows (and has known for 5 years), that when a Steeler or Penguins game is on, it's not cuddle time. Still gets man when I shout at the T.V. too!

trauben
05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Doesn't make it any easier though.

My girlfriend knows (and has known for 5 years), that when a Steeler or Penguins game is on, it's not cuddle time. Still gets man when I shout at the T.V. too!
That has nothing to do with PMS!

I hate to break it to you, but that is all about your g/f.

Some people just don't understand the importance of sports! :noidea:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Hey we have bags too, but they're on our chest. You males call 'em fun bags! :wink02: You don't know pain until you've smashed one of those in a car door or have a line drive hit off the tatas. Been there. :horror:

Hell - we have to deal with Freddie Kruger and Jason 365 days a year. :chuckle: Men go through a change of life, too, and let me tell ya from experience - it sure aint no picnic - LOL! :mallet:

I've had kidney stones, so I feel you on the labor thing.

I've never experienced kidney stones, thank God, but I have friends who have and I don't envy them or you.

Though I didn't get the pleasure before hand, I sure got the pain afterward. :drink

In my case, it was 30 seconds of pleasure for 18 years of wanting to poke my eyes out with a spork. :chuckle: They didn't have graduation parties - I had "get the hell out of my house" parties. :applaudit: Not really, as my kids were good kids, but you know what I'm sayin.

My former spouses and b/f's knew that unless it was an absolute emergency - don't talk to me, don't call, make your own dinner and no nookie during Steelers and Pens games. :laughing:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey we have bags too, but they're on our chest. You males call 'em fun bags! :wink02: You don't know pain until you've smashed one of those in a car door or have a line drive hit off the tatas. Been there. :horror:

lmao at slamming your splazoingas in a car door!

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 04:49 PM
lmao at slamming your splazoingas in a car door!

:toofunny: Believe me when I tell ya I wasn't laughing then. :horror:

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
how do you slam a tit in the car door ???:noidea: .... that would be a booboo i'd be interested in kissin....:chuckle:

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
how do you slam a tit in the car door ???:noidea: .... that would be a booboo i'd be interested in kissin....:chuckle:

By being in an all fire hurry and turning at the same time I was shutting the car door. I shouldn't complain, though - I got my secret wish - at least the tata on the left side was at least a "D" cup for a few days. :laughing:

LOL - you're bad. :chuckle:

Rek
05-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Did you get to keep and nurture your child? Laugh with it? Cry with it? Share in it's discoveries, pains and joys? Did you have the opportunity to breastfeed it?

Seems like you got a raw deal to me.

Boobs are fun :thumbsup:

Rek
05-06-2009, 05:37 PM
By being in an all fire hurry and turning at the same time I was shutting the car door. I shouldn't complain, though - I got my secret wish - at least the tata on the left side was at least a "D" cup for a few days. :laughing:

LOL - you're bad. :chuckle:

I'd be happy to take a look at it for ya :nurse: :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd be happy to take a look at it for ya :nurse: :chuckle:

pervert.....:wtf:

xfl2001fan
05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
pervert.....:wtf:

You're just mad because he beat you to the punchline.

NJarhead
05-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Screw that! :chuckle:

trauben
05-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Boobs are fun :thumbsup:
Yeah, riiiight! They get in the way of almost everything at times. Try a nice hard run playing baseball or football and they're annoying as hell! Or running in general. :banging:

Growing up I loved tossing the pigskin around with my Dad, brother and a sister. My Dad threw it hard and there were times that the ball came spiraling in and hit square in the budding nip. OUUUUUCH! His reply was "use your hands and not your chest to catch the ball." To this day I'd rather have a stoved finger versus a bruised nip.http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-056.gif

My former spouses and b/f's knew that unless it was an absolute emergency - don't talk to me, don't call, make your own dinner and no nookie during Steelers and Pens games. I have a Steelers/Pens room. It is well known within my family not to bother me when I'm in my lair during game time! :tt: