PDA

View Full Version : Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

mesaSteeler
05-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Rule bearing name amuses Steelers' Ward

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_623795.html?source=rss&feed=9#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ask Hines Ward about the so-called "Hines Ward" rule, and the Steelers' wide receiver chuckles.

"It's a big honor, because it's kind of weird how you can make an impact on the game," Ward said. "At the same time, I'm not going to change my game based off a rule, because coach (Mike) Tomlin said just keep continuing playing the way you are. I'm going to continue being the fierce wideout going out there and blocking guys and continue to make plays."

The NFL is trying to eliminate the kind of blocks that have become Ward signatures and made him a YouTube sensation. In March, the league adopted a rule change that makes it illegal for a blocker to use his helmet, forearm or shoulder to hit a defender from behind or from the side.

The Steelers were the only team to vote against the new rule. Team president Art Rooney II has said the Steelers opposed the change because it is a judgment call and places added responsibilities on referees.

Ward looks at the new rule with amusement. Or is that bemusement?

Ward, after all, can't wonder if there is a double standard at work with a rule that was passed in the interest of player safety.

"It's kind of funny because week in and week out, that's all we see is highlights of somebody getting blown up by a defensive player," Ward said. "In my case it's shunned or doesn't look good or makes me a dirty player. I don't do anything different than what they do to offensive players."

When asked if he thinks the league targeted him with the new rule, Ward said, "How many (other) wideouts do you know going out there and attacking defensive guys like defensive guys attack the offensive guys?"

Ward's attacking style ended the season of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers last October.

He made a crack-back block while Rivers was in pursuit of Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth. The jarring hit broke Rivers' jaw, and the Bengals later placed Rivers on injured reserve.

Ward's downfield blocking has drawn the ire of opposing players, most notably former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott.

Ward wiped out Scott with a blindside block in November 2007. After the game Scott, who now plays for the New York Jets, threatened Ward.

"Defensive players, they hate it," Ward said of his playing style. "I don't know why they hate it, because when I go across the middle they can't wait to take my head off, so why should I wait my turn to get hit before I retaliate?

"I take the approach of I'm doing whatever it takes to win. If I get a shot on you, I'm going to take it just like if they get a shot on me they're going to take it. I understand you have to protect players and all of that, and I don't approach the game to try to hurt people. That's never been my style."

Ward, who recently signed a five-year contract with the Steelers, reiterated that he won't change how he plays the game. His aggressiveness as a blocker has long epitomized the Steelers' hard-nosed, blue-collar brand of football.

"He embodies what's important to us as far as how he approaches the game," Tomlin said. "He's a football player first and a wide receiver second."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

DACEB
05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
bunch of fukking pansies

stlrtruck
05-06-2009, 07:41 AM
bunch of fukking pansies

:iagree:

And to think the commissioner is embracing this type of pansification of the league. It won't be long before my daughter will be able to play QB in the NFL because the defense won't be allowed to touch them.

Cordlisberger
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
there we go fine a player for playing hard, I think next we should fine players for putting a contract on a player and breaking his collar bone putting him on the IR for his rookie season...

Sharkissle29
05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
finally we hear from ward and i like it....

we should create a site where you can donate to hines ward's fines this upcoming season...

billybob
05-06-2009, 08:17 AM

And to think the commissioner is embracing this type of pansification of the league. It won't be long before my daughter will be able to play QB in the NFL because the defense won't be allowed to touch them.

Pansification , is that a word ? Thats good , they are trying to pansify the game .
I like Tomlins statement , urging Ward to not change his style of play .
Good for Tomlin ! ! !

Edman
05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Whatever the case may be, Bart Scott is still a whiner and I still don't like the bum. Even if he isn't on the Ratbirds anymore. Really pathetic that a little ol wide reciever is causing this much of a stir around the league.

Anyone who whines about Ward for exerting the physical aspect of a contact spor tis a hypocrite and has no right to call themselves fans of said sport. Plain and simple.

Our rookie had his season cut short on a untimely hit too. Let's institute a Ray Lewis rule that Linebackers aren't allowed to go after shoulders of running backs. NOT. You choose to play the game, you run the risk of getting hurt. As dangerous as it is.

jev7452
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
there we go fine a player for playing hard, I think next we should fine players for putting a contract on a player and breaking his collar bone putting him on the IR for his rookie season...

:rofl: i'll join in! what a great cause!

aburdell
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
So you can't hit with your helmet, forearm or shoulder, does that mean drop kicking is legal?

T&B fan
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM

man I had not thought about it that way girls in the NFL . yup that tells us a lot ,flag football , and that way gilrs and guys can both play at the sametime .

steelreserve
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the fans are all going to love this when a 45-yard catch and run gets called back over a bullshit penalty when the big mean receiver blocked the poor widdle winebacker too hard.

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Opening Day next year, who wants to bet that Ward throws the exact same style block that he's know for and destroys some fool from the Titans?

Take the fine, as long as they don't supsend him for games, I'm cool with him keeping up his agressive play and destruction of woosies on the other team.

fansince'76
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM

No, according to Der Kommissar, if someone brags about a bounty against opposing players on the radio or threatens to "kill them" in the print media, but later "recants" by saying something to the effect of "I was jus' funnin'," it's all good. But blocking people "too hard" is now against the rules. :coffee:

I flipping HATE Goodell. For a while there, it was just very strong dislike borne from annoyance, but I truly have come to loathe the man. :mad:

DACEB
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
man I had not thought about it that way girls in the NFL . yup that tells us a lot ,flag football , and that way gilrs and guys can both play at the sametime .

I'll take #43 from your avatar!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
In March, the league adopted a rule change that makes it illegal for a blocker to use his helmet, forearm or shoulder to hit a defender from behind or from the side.

So now it illegal to block a defender with your SHOULDER...from the SIDE!!!!!!

What an absolute pile of :poop:

Commisioner Goodell = :sissies:

stlrtruck
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM

The problem is, I come from the old school mentality so when my daughter is out there 23 years from now knocking someone's helmet off, they'll have to create a new rule for her. Then Goodell can call it, "THE PRINCESS RULE". It will read something like this, "Overly aggressive females playing any position are not allowed to make contact with an opposing player who has the look of fear in their eyes as the female runs toward them with an overbearing look of desire to decapitate them.

Bunch a freakin' pansies! That's all the world is creating these days!

SteelersinCA
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Did Rivers ever say anything about the block Ward put on him or is his mouth still wired shut?

billybob
05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Did Rivers ever say anything about the block Ward put on him or is his mouth still wired shut?

He said "i'mumm getmmtmmtm tired , of umummmmvm , eating through a straw ". :rofl:

fansince'76
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Naturally he was pissed about losing a season because of it, but at least Rivers wasn't a giant whining vag about it ala Bart Scott.

bigjamesharrison2
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
here we come national flag football league....

Cordlisberger
05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I thought this was a good time for this
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HuHa1DRc9U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HuHa1DRc9U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steel-Bryan
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HuHa1DRc9U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HuHa1DRc9U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hahaha, someone lay-hit him, got called. And he points and laughs. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LVSteelersfan
05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
How many times has Ward had to sit out for several games because some defensive player has cheap shotted him coming across the middle? Double standards really frost my A * * !!!!!!

Psyychoward86
05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
The helmet part of the rule is all i agree with. Ward never uses his helmet to block. They just "happened" to also make it illegal to use your forearm or shoulder. Goodell, please go to Antarctica with no coat.

LVSteelersfan
05-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Sorry, but that shot on Rivers wasn't even that bad of a football shot. WRs take hits like that every time they go down the field. I hate these pansies who are ruining the game we once knew.

Rek
05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Keep it up Ward, I'm sure any fines you accumulate over the year will happily be paid collectively by the Steeler Nation.

AllD
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Now Ward is as notorious as Mel Blount.

N= Not
F= For
L= Long

55BaileyFan
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Personally I'm surprised this is posted now. The rule change and name was announced a month or so ago and Hines already commented on it once.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
finally we hear from ward and i like it....

we should create a site where you can donate to hines ward's fines this upcoming season...

I second that, but that wont stop the penalty yards.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
The initial force of a blindside block can't be delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck. An illegal blindside block will bring a 15-yard penalty.

:banging::banging:

steelwall
05-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Ward should sue Goodless for using his name...

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-06-2009, 11:39 PM
So if he hits em in the chest its ok? I dont get it ,the blocker is going go from full speed to , slowing down thinking about if he has his hands in the appropiate posistion of the defenders body. He goes from 100% game speed to 50%

Steel-Bryan
05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Time to watch the CFL !

Galax Steeler
05-07-2009, 03:40 AM
This is football and should be played like football and hitting is part of the game so why is everyone whinning on the hits Ward gives out.:noidea:

JackHammer
05-07-2009, 05:11 AM
This is football and should be played like football and hitting is part of the game so why is everyone whinning on the hits Ward gives out.:noidea:

I guess it's because a couple of millionaires got hurt........ They need to just put flags on these guys and get it over with. I bet that would make the London Super Bowl a real hit for the soccer fans over there.