PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Officials Stub Out Smoke or Else Demands

trauben
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I remember a dinner party I attended one night. There were a couple family members of the Chinese hosts who were visiting from America. (ABC's they call them here American Born Chinese)

As usual after dinner all the Chinese men lit up a cigarette. One of these girls from the states polity asked if they would not smoke around them. Which evoked a thundering laughter from all the men, who unphazzed kept right on a smokin...

I had to laugh too.... Basicly smoke anywhere you want to here...
I think the laughter was because until 2 days ago, the Chinese government was pressuring employees to smoke!

Chinese Officials Stub Out Smoke or Else Demands
Chinese Government Officials Back Down From Plan to Encourage Smoking to Boost Economy

By BETH LOYD
BEIJING, May 5, 2009

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/nm_China_Smoking_090505_mn.jpg
In the hopes of raising tax revenue and boosting the regional economy, the county told civil servants, including teachers, to smoke nearly a quarter of a million packs (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=6994465) of the local brands every year.

After details of the new regulation were reported in a local newspaper, county officials said they had now decided to back off from pursuing the new plan.

A statement posted on the Gong'An government Web site today said the edict was introduced last month to crack down on illegal cigarette smuggling and the trade in counterfeit cigarette brands, claiming that it harmed consumers and led to losses in revenue for the government.

The government said it still intended to pursue an investigation into the habits of government employees to see if any of them smoked smuggled cigarettes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/International/story?id=7504611&page=1

revefsreleets
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Well, it's a good way to control their population, too.

HometownGal
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Geez - I smoke and I resent our government raising the cigarette tax every other month or so. This tax benefits everyone, including the non-smokers who give me the hairy eyeball when I dare to light up in a designated smoking area. PA has one of the highest ciggy taxes out there and I went so far as to figure out and claim all of the cig taxes I paid last year on my PA income tax return. Haven't heard as of yet whether my return was accepted or denied. :chuckle: Screw 'em - they want that tax money but basically prohibit smoking anywhere but a person's house or car. If they ban smoking, then they should ban the other addictive evil - alcohol.

I don't enjoy smoking anymore and I hope to try again to quit soon, but I hate the thought of anyone trying to control me or what I do even more. :mad:

I don't think I've ever met a Chinese male who didn't smoke - LOL!

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Geez - I smoke and I resent our government raising the cigarette tax every other month or so. This tax benefits everyone, including the non-smokers who give me the hairy eyeball when I dare to light up in a designated smoking area. PA has one of the highest ciggy taxes out there and I went so far as to figure out and claim all of the cig taxes I paid last year on my PA income tax return. Haven't heard as of yet whether my return was accepted or denied. :chuckle: Screw 'em - they want that tax money but basically prohibit smoking anywhere but a person's house or car. If they ban smoking, then they should ban the other addictive evil - alcohol.

I don't enjoy smoking anymore and I hope to try again to quit soon, but I hate the thought of anyone trying to control me or what I do even more. :mad:

I don't think I've ever met a Chinese male who didn't smoke - LOL!i'd like nothing more than to see everyone quit at the same time....then let the bitching nonsmokers share in the NEW taxes that will be needed to replace the hundreds of billions of dollars of revenue that will be lost.....then sprinkle in the 10's or 100's of thousands of jobs that will be lost.........hmmmm.....anyone got a theory on why the hypocritical government keeps tobacco legal? i mean they pull drugs and other known products with deadly side effects off the shelves....why not ban tobacco ?