PDA

View Full Version : sunburn/skin cancer season is upon us

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
do you believe the hype?

today my little girl brings home a pamphelet from kindergarten on cancer awareness, prevention and early detection, called the ABC's of sun safety.

kids are being taught about "healthy sun". the gist of the pamphelet is that while sunscreen has been in use for 50 years, skin cancer rates continue to grow.

"healthy sun" is before 10AM and after 4PM. children are encouraged to shade themselves with an umbrella, or atleast wear a brimmed hat, sunglasses, shirt and long shorts and when exposure has or will be great, to wear long sleeves or pants.

are you kidding me? i am a desert rat raised in california, arizona, and new mexico. we dont even use an umbrella when it rains because it is such a refreshing change from the blazing sun.

until business dictated a year ago, i NEVER wore a pair of pants between the months of june- august....EVER. i barely even owned a long sleve shirt, let alone wore one outside of december- feb.

as a kid in tucson (where it routinely reached 110 degrees in the summer), i always had a year long pass to the AFB pool, and spent just about every day there between 11am-4pm.

this was back in the day where a parent could easilly put a kid on their bike and send them off for the day and not worry. i can remember so clearly as an 8 year old, my mom protecting my skin with a layer of the liquid magnefying glass known as baby oil or coconut oil.

we dont call a sunburn a sunburn. it is known as the "base coat". the initial yearly "blister and peel" was almost a rite of passage.

i maintain a natural tan throughout the winter and even though i no longer lay out, i already have that white band on my wrist when i take off my watch.

so why is the govt. wasting money and trying to infiltrate my daughters life? personally, i blame obama, and the democrats and "big government" control of the masses.

i mean, shit, i dont got cancer. sure i have about about 20 distinct "freckles" on my shoulders that i wasnt born with (the biggest one even looks like england) but everyone has a freckle or 2, right?

plus they dont hurt and i still look good without a shirt on.

anyways :shout: PANIC!!!! "sun is bad! the lib message has now infiltrated the school systems!"

politics aside, my mom still harps on me about the sunscreen. she was an uber tanner back in the day and has been doing skin cancer treatments on her face for about 6 years now.

believe it or not, sometimes the govt is looking out for peoples better interrests.

steelwall
05-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Sorry to hear that about your mom.

SteelersinCA
05-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I got a mean farmer's tan, that way they can just chop off my arms and I'll still be good to go.

MACH1
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I got a mean farmer's tan, that way they can just chop off my arms and I'll still be good to go.

:toofunny:

Working on my farmer tan too.

Tony, Hope your mom is doing well. I remember the 'good ol days' when my mom greased me up also.

Is that you? :rofl:

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.guzer.com/pictures/tanline_dude.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFupwzCj5h36nTKBYky4juWdFDvvA

xfl2001fan
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
until business dictated a year ago, i NEVER wore a pair of pants between the months of june- august....EVER.

Tony, there's only 1 month between June and August. It's called July. :flap:

revefsreleets
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
This is just a part of the larger paranoia that grips our society. Sun cancer, child abductions, serial killers, razors in trick-or-treat candy, etc, etc...

trauben
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
do you believe the hype?

today my little girl brings home a pamphelet from kindergarten on cancer awareness, prevention and early detection, called the ABC's of sun safety.

kids are being taught about "healthy sun". the gist of the pamphelet is that while sunscreen has been in use for 50 years, skin cancer rates continue to grow.

believe it or not, sometimes the govt is looking out for peoples better interrests.
I don't believe this is a "government" thing but rather being promoted by the medical community.

Thanks for the reminder!

SteelersinCA
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Is that you? :rofl:

Nah, I'm much younger, but add the arms to that and that's pretty much me. Training for a marathon has given me a sweet farmer's tan, I've come to embrace it! :sofunny:

GBMelBlount
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't believe this is a "government" thing but rather being promoted by the medical community.

Thanks for the reminder!

C'mon Trauben! It's great that our government schools are educating our children about these important things.

"Now Johnny, Billy & Mikee, we need five dollars from each of you so that the other children in the class can have their free ice cream....and kids, don't forget to tell your parents to vote for free healthcare because Johnny, Billy and Mikee's parents have volunteered to pay for that too as their punishment for being successful! Yipppeeeeee! " :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
05-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Nah, I'm much younger, but add the arms to that and that's pretty much me. Training for a marathon has given me a sweet farmer's tan, I've come to embrace it! :sofunny:http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7869/32jul30holyfarmerstan.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=32jul30holyfarmerstan.jpg)

OneForTheToe
05-07-2009, 02:32 PM
My advice - grow a beer gut. This way you never have to worry about sun exposure below the waist.

On a more serious note, I hope everything works out well for yor mother, Tony.

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
thanks for the well wishes for my mom, all. that means something. :cheers:

i guess it sounded a little worse than it is. while she is in pretty poor health for the young age of 54, the melanoma is the least of her concerns and one of the easiest to be treated.

the spot was on her nose, and what they do is give a mildly radioactive cream to apply. they is burn the surface to where it scabs over and peels off. shes done this about 3-4 times in the past 6 years and it appears to be gone but there is a slight indented and barely noticable scar.

its more embarrassing to have the scab, than anything.

beSteelmyheart
05-07-2009, 11:04 PM
This is just a part of the larger paranoia that grips our society. Sun cancer, child abductions, serial killers, razors in trick-or-treat candy, etc, etc...
:iagree:
But you forgot to mention the hand sanitizer crowd.

X-Terminator
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I was born with my tan, so I don't need to worry about that. Plus, I don't get sunburned, I just get about 3 shades darker so that at night, all you can see are my teeth :flap::sofunny:

Seriously though, I do believe the hype and don't really have an issue with the pamphlets. Nothing wrong with being aware.

trauben
05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
thanks for the well wishes for my mom, all. that means something. :cheers:

i guess it sounded a little worse than it is. while she is in pretty poor health for the young age of 54, the melanoma is the least of her concerns and one of the easiest to be treated.

the spot was on her nose, and what they do is give a mildly radioactive cream to apply. they is burn the surface to where it scabs over and peels off. shes done this about 3-4 times in the past 6 years and it appears to be gone but there is a slight indented and barely noticable scar.

its more embarrassing to have the scab, than anything.
You're lucky that it was someplace obvious on your mom that she would pay attention to it. For most people they tend to ignore it and then it becomes a serious and often times life-threatening situation for them.