PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis Reportedly Out At NBC?

SteelersMongol
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
This is just speculation, but it's being WIDELY speculated today. Jerome Bettis will not have his contract renewed by NBC, and will be left out in the cold come this season on the network. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald mentioned this when Madden's retirement announcement came down, and now Neil Best is reporting the same thing....

Three years after his much-ballyhooed, post-Super Bowl, announced-during-the-Winter Olympics hiring, it is likely NBC football analyst Jerome Bettis will not have his contract renewed for the coming season and beyond.

Late last season NBC moved Bettis and Tiki Barber out of its crowded studio and into the field to serve primarily as well-connected reporters.

If NBC has a replacement in mind, I do not know who he is.

Hey...what about that retired quarterback the Jets released this week?

While I normally would think that a network would love to make a huge splash like this, it makes no sense for NBC. They already have twenty people on the payroll, and not nearly enough studio space or time to put them on air. As for Bettis, you knew it was a matter of time. The guy is extremely likeable, but he really just didn't belong on television.

Jerome Bettis appears to be on his way out at NBC (Watchdog)

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2009/04/jerome-bettis-reportedly-out-at-nbc.html

If this is true, what do U guys C in Bus's future?

fansince'76
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
They can Bettis, but give the pencil-necked geek a promotion from his NFL Network gig. Not surprising, considering how much NBC's coverage of SB XLIII completely blew.

revefsreleets
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Out of retirement and back into the Steelers already crowded backfield.

No, seriously, dude should wite a book and buy a Toyota dealership...

Vincent
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
They can Bettis, but give the pencil-necked geek a promotion from his NFL Network gig. Not surprising, considering how much NBC's coverage of SB XLIII completely blew.

This is why we eagerly await June 2...

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Road-XLIII/dp/B001UNSZW6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1241713235&sr=8-3

Hopefully they'll be with the audio from the Pittsburgh broadcast team like they did in Road to SB XL. Otherwise, I'll just watch them silent like all the game recordings I have. As the various "teams" the networks have covering Steelers games are the sports extension of the MSM, I'm not interested in anything they would have to say about a team and fan base they obviously know nothing about.

Regarding Jerome, it was a matter of time. He's a great guy but he doesn't fit in that pit of snakes. Come home Jerome to the people that love you.

Dino 6 Rings
05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
He could always go into coaching RBs or go to ND and be an assistant there at the College Level.

Or he could join the ESPN team or the NFL Network Team, I'm sure we'll see him on the TV this upcoming season.

Plus now he can focus on Bowling!

fansince'76
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
If NBC has a replacement in mind, I do not know who he is.

Ahh, now it becomes clear - this is probably to make room for fatboy (Madden) to come back since it looks like Favre's unretiring for the 20th time.

steelreserve
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, on the bright side, it looks like we may have found our new running backs coach.

KeiselPower99
05-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, on the bright side, it looks like we may have found our new running backs coach.

:drink:

jev7452
05-07-2009, 02:39 PM

wouldnt that be awesome!:thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Jerome will find another broacasting job. I never thought Bus was a brilliant analyst, but considering the comp, he is still in the top 25%. The NFL Network would be a good fit. They need some personality.

Preacher
05-07-2009, 05:08 PM

That is one thing I have thought about for a LOOOONG time.

Fact is, Willie Parker was TAUGHT by Jerome Bettis. I wonder if the dip the Steelers running game is as much a lack of run coaching (Dick Hoak retired, Bettis retired) as anything else.

I say fire the RB's coach and hire bettis.

vasteeler
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah I didnt think he was very good on nbc not emmit smith bad but still bad

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
That is one thing I have thought about for a LOOOONG time.

Fact is, Willie Parker was TAUGHT by Jerome Bettis. I wonder if the dip the Steelers running game is as much a lack of run coaching (Dick Hoak retired, Bettis retired) as anything else.

I say fire the RB's coach and hire bettis.

You know, when I was still new here, I and a couple others took a lot of shit for saying the team ought to try to keep Bettis around as some kind of coach. All I heard was no way did we need him because Dick Hoak would be around forever, or that the kind of salary we could offer Bettis as a minor assistant coach would be insulting compared to a TV deal. There was a lot of stuff said like "Hey man, he'll be way better off on TV, so why can't you just be happy for him, you selfish prick?" or "After all he's done for us, you begrudge him the right to do what he wants? I can't believe you're such a disrespectful prick."

Amazing how a couple of years can change people's outlook.

Hines0wnz
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Plus now he can focus on Bowling!

ESPN PBA analyst! :chuckle:

St33lersguy
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Does anyone think he could be a good OC. After all our current OC sucks.

Any way I hope he finds a job soon.

Fire Haley
05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Good luck Bussy.

Personally, I'm glad he's gone, I'd cringe whenever he'd try to look "fair and balanced" in his reporting and end up bashing the Steelers.