PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Takes A Shot At Marvin Lewis

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I know I have been among those who have been busting on Marvin Lewis for taking a verbal shot at Ben in the post-game conference.

That having been said, I was surprised to see this story in today's P-G:

Cowher surmised that coach Marvin Lewis' comment after Sunday's game came out of frustration. Lewis promised that the Bengals would not cry about Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Carson Palmer the way he said Ben Roethlisberger did on a hit by Bengals' linebacker Odell Thurman.

"The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say," Cowher said. "I could spend a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think that it was said out of frustration."

Seems to me that Cowher should be looking forward rather than looking back and a "no comment" would have sufficed. At least Marvin Lewis had the excuse of being distraught after his season crashed and his franchise QB had his knee blown out.

Friday133
01-11-2006, 09:45 AM
how long was his press conference? if this is all he said of the matter, i have no problem with it at all. actually i find it to be one of the funniest things cowher ha ever said.

Man_Of_Steel
01-11-2006, 09:49 AM
how long was his press conference? if this is all he said of the matter, i have no problem with it at all. actually i find it to be one of the funniest things cowher ha ever said.

If you think thats funny, you should have heard what Pittsburgh Penguins coach Michel Therrien said after last nights game. Don't get me wrong, it was horrible to have to hear a coach talk about his team like that, but it was funny in a sort of a way too, LOL.

Cowher should call him out anyways, Lewis was wrong.

Friday133
01-11-2006, 09:56 AM
If you think thats funny, you should have heard what Pittsburgh Penguins coach Michel Therrien said after last nights game. Don't get me wrong, it was horrible to have to hear a coach talk about his team like that, but it was funny in a sort of a way too, LOL.

Cowher should call him out anyways, Lewis was wrong.

therrien was so pissed, but in his broken english it was hysterical. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 10:23 AM
cowher is usually gracious enough after a loss to congratulate the other team, say they played good, or atleast mention them and aknowlege the team that just beat him. i read the post game quotes from the bengals and not one player or coach even mentionned the steelers. as if the bengals were the only ones on the field and they lost to themselves. knowing how cowher is with the media, i bet he took this as a slight, as disrespect, and non professionalism on the part of lewis. ill go as far to say it pissed him off.

BB2W
01-11-2006, 10:33 AM
"The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say," Cowher said. "I could spend a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think that it was said out of frustration."
That is a great response... Marvin is a sore loser like most of that team and their fans.

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 12:41 PM
here is what cowher said put into context. i think his whole point in the statement the post gazette reported was that the bengals and their players talk so much it would really take a whole press conference to address it all and none of the important subjects could be addressed. having read this i kind of back off my statement that he was probably pissed and these were his only statements in regards to the bengals and last weeks game:

"Obviously, in the playoffs any win is a big win for us and I will say this, regarding what happened. Carson Palmer is a bright young player in the National Football League and I have tremendous respect for him, not just as a player but the way he handles himself. I think the league will be better off with a player like that for the future. He will come back strong from this. I feel bad for him, knowing him just through Troy Polamalu, he is a hard working guy and he will be back and we will be trying to stop this guy again next year, there is no question about it. But you hate to see those things happen. No one felt worse about than Kimo von Oelhoffen or really, our football team. We have a lot of respect for that football team we played. It is going to be a battle from here on out playing that team. There is so much good talent over there. They are well-coached. We are very respectful of them and we feel very fortunate to be able to move on. We are playing a team now that is the number-one seed in the AFC and in many peoples’ eyes the number one-team in the National Football League. We are going to have to play so much better than we played the last time we played them. We are going to have to play better than we played last week. It is going to take a flawless effort on our part. We are going to have to bring everything we have and more to this football game to have a chance to compete and or win this game. I think we understand that and at the same time, that is why it is the playoffs and why you play the game. We’ll show up. We’ll be there and hopefully we’ll be able to do some things better than we did the last time we played them."

Were you at all surprised or disappointed by Marvin Lewis’ comments about not crying like Ben Roethlisberger?

I would like to think it was said out of frustration. The last thing we ever do is comment on things that their players say, I could spend a whole press conference with some of the things that come from that team. I would like to think that it was said out of frustration.

Does it bother you that some people are now starting to call your team dirty?

I don’t know who has done it. I think that is something that papers have a tendency to pick up on and they want to make a story that really isn’t there. I don’t know what the basis of that would be.

83-Steelers-43
01-11-2006, 02:15 PM
That is a great response... Marvin is a sore loser like most of that team and their fans.

I agree. He was asked by the media what he thought about the comments made by Marvin Lewis and he responded. I don't feel Cowher's comments were nearly as pathetic and classless as Marvin Lewis's comments.

Ambridge
01-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree. He was asked by the media what he thought about the comments made by Marvin Lewis and he responded. I don't feel Cowher's comments were nearly as pathetic and classless as Marvin Lewis's comments.

Yeah!
I don't see any kind of backhanded shot directed towards Marvin.
Cowher just simply answered the question.

clevestinks
01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Can`t wait til the games against the bengals next season! LOL

Ambridge
01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Can`t wait til the games against the bengals next season! LOL

This rivalry could escalate past the Steelers/Ravens..........maybe.

SteelerzGirl
01-11-2006, 05:59 PM
We are playing a team now that is the number-one seed in the AFC and in many peoples? eyes the number one-team in the National Football League. We are going to have to play so much better than we played the last time we played them. We are going to have to play better than we played last week. It is going to take a flawless effort on our part. We are going to have to bring everything we have and more to this football game to have a chance to compete and or win this game. I think we understand that and at the same time, that is why it is the playoffs and why you play the game. We?ll show up. We?ll be there and hopefully we?ll be able to do some things better than we did the last time we played them."

Uh-huh... That's right Coach Cowher... The Bengals are now history. Keep your eye on the prize! :flippy:

LambertIsGod58
01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I LOVE Marvin Lewis....But I did lose some respect for him with the post-game comments. Not a good loser.

Grey
01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
cowher is usually gracious enough after a loss to congratulate the other team, say they played good, or atleast mention them and aknowlege the team that just beat him. i read the post game quotes from the bengals and not one player or coach even mentionned the steelers. as if the bengals were the only ones on the field and they lost to themselves. knowing how cowher is with the media, i bet he took this as a slight, as disrespect, and non professionalism on the part of lewis. ill go as far to say it pissed him off.

I think there's a lot wrong with that Bengal's team and it starts with Marvin Lewis's inability to control his players' antics and trash talk. After hearing his post game comments, and his comments yesterday, when he had time to cool off, but still couldn't say the right thing, I'm starting to understand why this young team had such a poor attitude and how they could be broken so easily. It all starts at the top. I think it's definately possible that this Bengals team will flop next year.

Here we go.
Grey

CantStop85
01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I think there's a lot wrong with that Bengal's team and it starts with Marvin Lewis's inability to control his players' antics and trash talk. After hearing his post game comments, and his comments yesterday, when he had time to cool off, but still couldn't say the right thing, I'm starting to understand why this young team had such a poor attitude and how they could be broken so easily. It all starts at the top. I think it's definately possible that this Bengals team will flop next year.

Here we go.
Grey
I think Marvin controls his players pretty well. Of course he lets Chad do his talking, but he discourages him from doing anything that might hurt the team as a whole...hence taking down his "Who Covered Chad in 2005" list and putting up a list that said something like "Have I done everything I can to help this team win". Other incidents such as the fight in the locker room earlier in the season he handled by cutting the guy who started it off of the roster. He's completely changed the attitude of the team, the franchise, and the entire city to where they expect to win. Sometimes the team gets a little too ****y, but after a few tough losses, the team will start getting more humble.

This was the first time that Marvin has made any questionable comments on another team...it's not the end of the world. His emotions simply got the best of him immediately after the game. It's something I can certainly live with...and even Cowher understood that his frustration probably lead him to make those comments.

Were the comments right? No. Should Marvin Lewis be drawn and quartered for them? No.

Stlrs4Life
01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Seems to me that Cowher should be looking forward rather than looking back and a "no comment" would have sufficed. At least Marvin Lewis had the excuse of being distraught after his season crashed and his franchise QB had his knee blown out.

I would hope that Bill would give an answer like that, he is sticking up for his team. Lewis, is an idiot for saying what he said.

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I think Marvin controls his players pretty well. Of course he lets Chad do his talking, but he discourages him from doing anything that might hurt the team as a whole...hence taking down his "Who Covered Chad in 2005" list and putting up a list that said something like "Have I done everything I can to help this team win". Other incidents such as the fight in the locker room earlier in the season he handled by cutting the guy who started it off of the roster. He's completely changed the attitude of the team, the franchise, and the entire city to where they expect to win. Sometimes the team gets a little too ****y, but after a few tough losses, the team will start getting more humble.

This was the first time that Marvin has made any questionable comments on another team...it's not the end of the world. His emotions simply got the best of him immediately after the game. It's something I can certainly live with...and even Cowher understood that his frustration probably lead him to make those comments.

Were the comments right? No. Should Marvin Lewis be drawn and quartered for them? No. i agree with the better part of this but marvin taking down chads little locker sign was too little too late. especially when chad insisted on checking "no" next to everyone. even when ike taylor (a 1st year starter) easilly handled chad in a bengals loss. and then handled him again, and yet again. marvin is still a young coach but he has enjoyed the ride with his exuberant players and to some degree let the inmates run the asylum. if he is as smart as i think he is he will
1) put an end to this locker room crap and
2) start paying a little more respect to the sr. coaches in the league who have paved his way