PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon Harris visits the Steelers

BlastFurnace
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/07/napoleon-harris-visits-the-steelers/

ShutDown24
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I really like Harris. I think he would be a good fit. Who knows though, tomorrow a story will be out about us signing some other guy like we did with McDonald when all the speculation was on Lelie. But, again, I really like Harris. I think he would be a good fit and great depth at inside linebacker.

steelreserve
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, if he'd sign for less than Foote, I'm all in favor of this. That'd give us a backup who's at least OK, and I'd feel a lot better not having to worry about whether someone like Davis or Fox will be able to hack it.

Dino 6 Rings
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
But can he cover on a kickoff, cause that's important for our back up linebackers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, pretty standard speculation that a cheap veteran ILB would be brought in for depth. Harris fits that nicely, have to see if he gets signed.

As for special teams, I think we can assume that he would play ST along with any other backups like Woods, Fox, Carter, Davis, Ratliff, Burnett, Lewis, etc.

ShutDown24
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
But can he cover on a kickoff, cause that's important for our back up linebackers.

From everything I know of Harris he has good speed for a linebacker; I think that is one of his strengths as a player. So I would have to assume he'd be decent if not great on special teams.

SteelersinCA
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Can someone remind me who the hell Napolean Harris is??

ShutDown24
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM

What I can recall...

He was a first round selection by the Raiders in the 2002 draft out of Northwestern. After a couple of seasons with the Raiders he was shipped out as a part of the Randy Moss trade. He played for the Minnesota Vikings for a while following the trade before eventually signing with the Chiefs last season. I guess he's been released from duty there sometime since.

KeiselPower99
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Wouldnt be a bad signing.

Tooquickrich
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM

He didn't do much last year but 2 years ago he had 130ish tackles for the Chiefs.

MasterOfPuppets
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Can someone remind me who the hell Napolean Harris is??HE'S ANOTHER RAIDER 1ST RD BUST....:noidea:

Fire Haley
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Veteran LB visits Steelers

Thursday, May 07, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Linebacker Napoleon Harris, a first-round draft choice in 2002, spent today visiting the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from the Minnesota Vikings.

Harris' visit came three days after the Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote at his request. Foote signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Lions on Wednesday.

Harris, 30, played for Mike Tomlin when he was Minnesota's defensive coordinator in 2006.

The Oakland Raiders drafted Harris of Northwestern in the first round in 2002, then traded him to Minnesota in 2005 as part of a deal that sent receiver Randy Moss to Oakland from the Vikings. Harris signed as a free agent with Kansas City in 2007 and returned to Minnesota last season.

He had his best season under Tomlin in Minnesota in 2006 when he started 14 games, had 2.5 sacks and three interceptions, after his 2005 season was curtailed by a knee injury.

Harris has started 73 games in his seven seasons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09127/968496-100.stm

pancake
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
We need a veteren LB and if he still has some gas in the tank, then I am all for him coming aboard.:thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Would prove to be another very solid signing. Not as good as Foote imho, but i wouldnt sweat it if one of our ILB's got hurt, and he had to step in. I wonder how he'd do in the 3-4. I dont think i would mind.

JackHammer
05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, pretty standard speculation that a cheap veteran ILB would be brought in for depth. Harris fits that nicely, have to see if he gets signed.

As for special teams, I think we can assume that he would play ST along with any other backups like Woods, Fox, Carter, Davis, Ratliff, Burnett, Lewis, etc.

Agreed. I don't think we'd sign him if there wasn't an understanding that he has to do the dirty work. Plus the guy is a linebacker and, by nature, he likes to hit people. What better place to hit people than on ST during the first season of the wedge rule. I can only hope we can make a depth signing like this, at a good price :hope:

Galax Steeler
05-08-2009, 03:25 AM
If he can come at a reasonable price then I say give him a shot. He is not that bad of a linebacker. Harris could come in if needed and could also be a contributor on special teams.

ricksteelers55
05-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Would you guys consider signing newly released Pisa Tinoisamoa if he can come cheap ?

ShutDown24
05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Would you guys consider signing newly released Pisa Tinoisamoa if he can come cheap ?

I don't think he'll come too cheap. Unless there is a complete lack of interest in him... Even if that would be the case, it just seems a little too unrealistic to me for some reason. I guess it could happen, but in my opinion it just doesn't seem like a Steelers signing.

St33lersguy
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
looks like a scrub used for special teams. Would not be bad considering we already have superstars at LB

lilyoder6
05-09-2009, 08:55 AM
wouldn't mind.. bring in some competition for camp for back-up roles... and play some ST

Fire Haley
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe he can come in and start at RILB and Timmons can come off the bench again...

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Just as a comparison...

Napolean Harris is 6'3 253lbs and has played inside and outside LBer. He averages 6.5 tackles per start (73 starts and 481 tackles).

Larry Foote is 6'1 239lbs and averaged 5.0 tackles per start. (83 starts and 431 tackles)

Harris is 30 years old and isnt going to push Timmons for a starting slot...but he would be a very good backup.

St33lersguy
05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe he can come in and start at RILB and Timmons can come off the bench again...

no Timmons is the starter. Napoleon would backup.

Fire Haley
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I was chumming for tuna

55BaileyFan
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Hope he doesn't get signed...we have some good veterans and some pretty impressive undrafted rookies. Give someone a chance before we attempt to bring in a never was.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Hope he doesn't get signed...we have some good veterans and some pretty impressive undrafted rookies. Give someone a chance before we attempt to bring in a never was.

At this point we have ILB's Farrior and Timmons as starters and backups like who. Fox, Woods, Bailey????? ............and you are referring to Harris as "a never was". :doh:

So Tomlin contacted an ILB, that he coached, with over 70 NFL starts to his credit and almost 500 tackles. Harris would instantly become the #3 ILB on the depth chart.

lilyoder6
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
i would be happy to have harris be the #1 back up ilb for this team... at least for this upcoming yr, so guys like bailey and woods get another yr under there belt... and fox, he is a good ST player,., but.. i don't see him coming in and being that successful

steelreserve
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Oh yeah, if I was trying to have a good season, the first thing I'd do is make sure I'd be using undrafted rookies if any of my Pro Bowl defenders had to miss time. Or if I couldn't do that, I'd plug in a marginal career special teamer or a practice squad guy.

Yeah, that's what we should do for depth. Definitely not sign a backup who has starting experience and we know is reasonably dependable. That's not how you win championships.

Seriously, why is everyone so down on Harris? He's not a superstar but we know he's not a complete f**k-up either, and that's all we need. If it comes together for the right price, it'd be this year's version of the Byron Leftwich signing at linebacker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Seriously, why is everyone so down on Harris? He's not a superstar but we know he's not a complete f**k-up either, and that's all we need. If it comes together for the right price, it'd be this year's version of the Byron Leftwich signing at linebacker.

I completely agree. If Harris was a starting ILB when Mike Tomlin was his defensive coordinator in Minnesota. He obviously thinks the guy is worthwile bringing in for a look.

The last guy Mike Tomlin brought in from Minnesota worked out pretty well in relief due to injury. I completely trust in Tomlins decision to bring Harris in for a visit and hope both sides can come to an agreement. :thumbsup:

The Duke
05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
i thought this guy had disappeared. He was fairly good in Minnesota. as a backup ILB to farrior and timmons? not bad

Ratliff, McDonald, and Harris as FA acquisitions sounds great to me. Get it done