PDA

View Full Version : Nate was almost great

thumper
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Watching the DVD for 2008 Steelers last night, one thing kind of surprised me: The number of big plays Nate Washington made. He kind of dominated the highlights for big plays of the season. There were more big plays from Nate than I recalled.

We all know Nate had a lot of drops, but he was Ben's man when it came to big plays. I know Holmes kicked it in down the stretch and I know Sweed could be a night and day difference. But still. It is a concern seeing how many big plays Nate made and considering it took him several years to get there.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.......I think our WR unit will be deeper and better with the guys we got, but Nate made more plays than I thought.

Sharkissle29
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I also have the DVD and yes he did have some big plays. But i believe the big plays are more because holmes, ward, and miller are on the field. I think he'll be easily replaced by Sweed or Wallace. As long as those 3 are on the field, the #3 reciever, has some opportunities for 1 on 1 coverages. Nate was great at taking those opportunites and running with it (no pun intended). Now someone else needs to step up and make those big plays...

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
i always said he would be the next rod smith. he can still make it happen.

Rek
05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
"Great" is kind of a stretch....

FSUBoo
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I noticed in games week to week how much of a big play guy he was. People always knocked him for the drops, but when it came to crunch time, Big Ben had trust in him cause he looked to him time after time in those moments of need with the big plays.

BlastFurnace
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
He had huge plays at the end of the Dallas and Ravens (2nd Game) this year. I'm sure there are more, but those are the two I remember.

IMO, he's not in the league with Santonio, but he's still good.

Nate will be missed.

pancake
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM

The next Rod Smith is a bit of a stretch, be can be a really good receiver.

rbryan
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Nate was one of those guys you could love one minute and be cussing out the next.

Kinda reminds me of someone else on that offense........lol

Not saying Nate was as important as you know who....just that no one is perfect.

Fire Haley
05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Don't forget while you're kissing his ass, he's a Titan now .

Nate runs into cold steel - practice for Game 1?

Brief scare: The Titans signed receiver Nate Washington to a $27 million contract in March. For a brief second Wednesday, the hearts of some in the organization must've skipped a beat when Washington ran into the bottom of a video lift after catching a pass on the sideline.

Fortunately for Washington and the Titans, the large crane had padding on the bottom.

"Thank God the pads were there and I didn't get hurt or anything,'' Washington said. "It was just unfortunate that it was there."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090507/SPORTS01/905070372/1027/

rbryan
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
lol....almost forgot about that first game of the season.

F Nate, I hope JH rips his arm off and beats Jeff Fisher with it. I really hate that arrogant prick.

Edman
05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Nate is a Titan now. Screw him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Nice comparison. I had always believed since Holmes was drafted that he and Nate would be the Steelers starters when Hines retired. But, since Hines aint going anywhere soon........good luck Nate.

OX1947
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Nate drops too many passes to be great. The highest he will go is good. Titans don't pass a lot either, he would have been better served going to a team with Cutler or Manning on it.

revefsreleets
05-07-2009, 05:27 PM
The thing with Washington was, the worst thing you could do was hit him in the hands. Circus catch? Hell ya, he was all over those. 3rd and 23, lob him an underthrown wobbler that he has to snatch off the back of the defenders helmet as he's falling backwards? No problem! Routine 5 and out to convert a 3rd and 4 that hits him right in the effing hands? No way...that's a drop.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
i'm confident that sweed and mcdonald will make us quickly forget all about nate...

wootawnee
05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Nate was definitly electric.......He just was the 3 guy......When your the goto guy you get more catches.......He could be a goto guy.....He always got open for us.......Ran great deep routes.......Had the best attitude you could have on the o side.......We'll miss ya brudda......:tt03::tt03:.......Double yoi!!!!!

msafford
05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
i'm confident that sweed and mcdonald will make us quickly forget all about nate...

:iagree: Although I didn't have a huge problem with him.

steelwall
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
The thing with Washington was, the worst thing you could do was hit him in the hands. Circus catch? Hell ya, he was all over those. 3rd and 23, lob him an underthrown wobbler that he has to snatch off the back of the defenders helmet as he's falling backwards? No problem! Routine 5 and out to convert a 3rd and 4 that hits him right in the effing hands? No way...that's a drop.

:chuckle:

Thats what I allways thought too. I know it's not entirely true, but I remember many times saying to myself.. "Dam he catches the crazy mess, and drops the easy shyte"

tony hipchest
05-07-2009, 11:55 PM
The next Rod Smith is a bit of a stretch, be can be a really good receiver.not really. their height and weight are almost identical. they were both UDFA's out of tiny colleges. their 1st 2 years in the league were almost mirror images in stats. they both had great #7 qb's.

rods break out year was his third. nates third was last season.

the only difference was that rod played on a team with no #1 wr and th best pass catchers were a white dude named mccafery and a TE shanon sharpe.

with nate he was always stuck behind ward, holmes, miller and even el + wilson, in the pecking order.

coincidentally, i heard rod smith has been invited to titans camp and has been working with kenny britt. if washington was smart, he would be sitting in on those tutorials

Galax Steeler
05-08-2009, 04:31 AM
I don't think Nate was no where near being great. Yea he caught some deep balls but he also dropped some easier ones that could have changed the game. His services was good but not great.

Steeldude
05-08-2009, 07:14 AM
i never saw a difference between holmes' hands and washington's.

Fire Haley
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

I did

http://community.post-gazette.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.06.89.79/MFSB18_5F00_superbowl_5F00_pg_5F00_holmes_5F00_cat ch.jpg

oldschool
05-08-2009, 12:24 PM
:noidea:Nate who?

stlrtruck
05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
And now Nate will finally understand the difference between the "Love/Hate Relationship" that Steelers fans have with players wearing the black and gold and the opposing teams!

See how "great" that feels Nate!

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

They probably DO look quite similar...except for when a football hits them.

The Duke
05-08-2009, 08:59 PM

until the playoffs me neither. I'm still waiting to see some consistency in holmes

as for nate, he CAN be the next rod smith. I always liked him and will continue to enjoy watching him play. except week one of course :tt03:

rich4eagle
05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Watching the DVD for 2008 Steelers last night, one thing kind of surprised me: The number of big plays Nate Washington made. He kind of dominated the highlights for big plays of the season. There were more big plays from Nate than I recalled.

We all know Nate had a lot of drops, but he was Ben's man when it came to big plays. I know Holmes kicked it in down the stretch and I know Sweed could be a night and day difference. But still. It is a concern seeing how many big plays Nate made and considering it took him several years to get there.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.......I think our WR unit will be deeper and better with the guys we got, but Nate made more plays than I thought.

Nate Washington did his part in winning the Super Bowl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,too bad he is gone but I wish him well...........nothing he did disappointed me and as you said he made a lot of big plays:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Steeldude
05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm still waiting to see some consistency in holmes

exactly

Galax Steeler
05-09-2009, 07:07 AM
I did

http://community.post-gazette.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.06.89.79/MFSB18_5F00_superbowl_5F00_pg_5F00_holmes_5F00_cat ch.jpg

:sofunny::sofunny: nice

bigjamesharrison2
05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Some consistency in Holmes would be nice. If he can constantly preform at the level he did this post season, he will be a very good or "great" wide receiver:tt03:.

The Duke
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Some consistency in Holmes would be nice. If he can constantly preform at the level he did this post season, he will be a very good or "great" wide receiver:tt03:.

Yeah. But of course, if he has a "great" season he may price himself out of the steelers range :banging:

Heath comes before him imo....

atlsteelers
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
after i watched dvd i thought that washington's agent put it together.

tony hipchest
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
i put a statistical comparisson up a while back that showed that when nate became our #4 wr, he was actually better than all other teams #3. (with exception of brandon stokely with the colts).

with the departure of c. wilson he still maintained that status of a top #3 in the league.

he was consistant and always showed the potential to do more with more opportunity (the superbowl dvd/n. washington highlight film showed as much).

i figure he will do well with the titans and k. collins will love him.