PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Patriots

triphahn
05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
The Steelers have obviously established themselves as one of the top teams of this decade. But dissappointing playoff losses to the Patriots leave questions about their dominance. Without a playoff victory over a Brady led Patriot team can the Steelers be called the team of decade?

BlastFurnace
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
If we win it again this year, we are the team of the decade.

Everything the Patriots did is tainted by the cheating allegations...and their best team didn't even win the SB.

steelwall
05-07-2009, 10:20 PM
If we win it again this year, we are the team of the decade.

Everything the Patriots did is tainted by the cheating allegations...and their best team didn't even win the SB.

I think the case could be made we are now, regardless of what happens this year. Not trying to jump on you here, but the Patriots were not alledged to have cheated, it was proven they did.

MongoSteeler
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
No matter what you or I think, there is never going to be any consesus on this issue. Everybody has their own opinion and you can't even get people to agree on replay tapes that get looked at over and over again.

If we are successful in our defense of the Super Bowl this year, that will be good enough for me. The Steelers are my TEAM OF A LIFETIME>

ShutDown24
05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, in my mind we have to win another Super Bowl and possibly beat the Patriots along the way to surpass them as team of the decade. Cheating or not, you can't change it; 3 > 2.

Godfather
05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, in my mind we have to win another Super Bowl and possibly beat the Patriots along the way to surpass them as team of the decade. Cheating or not, you can't change it; 3 > 2.

3 > 2, but 2 > 3*

steelwall
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, in my mind we have to win another Super Bowl and possibly beat the Patriots along the way to surpass them as team of the decade. Cheating or not, you can't change it; 3* > 2.

Fixed it for ya... :chuckle:

In all seriousness, unfortunatly you are right. Its sickening to see that even after spygate the Pats are still the media darling. But lets also not forget we destroyed them last year on our way to winning a superbowl 33-10....

SteelersMongol
05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I used 2 have tons of respect 4 the Pats. Up until I learned those SOBs were actually nothing but mere cheaters. They're not SB winners, & I hate em.

paw-n-maul-u
05-08-2009, 01:07 AM
To answer the question ... No.

That is really the only monkey on the back that the Steelers can't get off.

A Tom Brady Patriots team has pretty much whooped us. I was so disappointed last year when I still had a sour taste in my mouth after beating them that bad.

Steelers-Patriots 2010 AFC championship game is what I'm hoping for, the game would either be a horrible blowout or epic.
But ya, *3-2,
with a lot of the footage found specific footage from our games

and the ways that we lost to them

... how there are even quotes from steeler players about how they thought "they knew every play we were running it seemed like" "one step ahead of us the whole time like they knew what we were doing" etc.

It's awesome that everyone thinks they are cheaters.

OneForTheToe
05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm just going to qoute myself from another thread earlier today regading this subject.

I could care less who the team of the decade is. Win or lose this year the Pats can have that title. The Steelers' Organization has evolved beyond a mere team of a decade battle. We have the best regular season record since the merger and have won the most Super Bowls.

Enjoy your little pursuit of team of the decade Pats' fans. We are waiting far beyond you.

Galax Steeler
05-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Wheater people think the Patriots is the team of the decade or not I will always think the Steelers is the best team in football. Got to love the Black and Gold.

WeegiesWarriors
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
If we were to win and get the third for the decade I still think they'd get the consideration.

Memories of spygate will fade and become a funny thing NFL Films will parody sometime down the road. So, I don't think that will be in our favor.

The two things that give it to them is the undefeated regular season, and the AFCCG losses to them. Plus we've already got a "Team of the Decade" moniker and the national media will be reluctant to give that to us again if it is at all close.

But in the end... we here know the truth.

Dino 6 Rings
05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
It doesn't matter.

If we win it all this year, we'll be considered a great team regardless and our QB will be considered one of the best ever.

If we win it Next year, we'll be considered amazing. If we win it 3 more times in the next 5 years, it won't even be a debate.

So its easy. All we need to do is win it THIS YEAR for Us. then let the chips fall where they will.

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
We talk about the Pats too much. They are NOT the standard of excellence.

The Steelers are.

OX1947
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
We talk about the Pats too much. They are NOT the standard of excellence.

The Steelers are.

I agree. Way too much Pats talk here. For those who don't know, most of the public writers and analyst hail from the Northeast and Ohio. So naturally you will see more subjective reporting against anything not in those areas and especially anything west coast.

And what those two share in common are misery. That misery has some what staled since the Sox have won a couple of titles and Celtics last year winning, now everyone is on the Cavs bandwagon and hailing Lebron James as the greatest human being to ever live. And watch, if he goes to New York 2010, you will see a huge backlash on his reputation and you will start to see a Kobe Bryant type campaign against him from then on as a fake and a poser.

So how this all ties together is that even if the Steelers win the title this year, and go through the Pats to do it, be prepared to hear the "Tom Brady isn't what he use to be" comments. So in the long run, the Lombardi Trophies are the great equalizers. As long as the Steelers are winning those, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why this is even a question. The Steelers are better than the Patriots. The Steelers are always better than the Patriots.

New England squeaked out a couple Super Bowls because they had the salary cap figured out better than most other teams, but so what? If they want the title "team of the decade," then fine, but it doesn't mean the same thing as "team of the decade" in the 70s-80s-90s.

Bottom line is, I have no doubt that the 70s Steelers, 80s Niners or 90s Cowboys would wipe the floor with this decade's Patriots if they ever played head-to-head. So would certain other teams with fewer titles, like the '85 Bears or late-80s-to-mid-90s Giants. I don't get that feeling with the current Steelers.

In fact, the Steelers are probably the first team this decade that I honestly think could be competitive against those kinds of great teams. The offense is good enough, and the defense has shown that it can probably hold its own against anybody in the history of the game. That's the kind of thing that matters, and that's why if they can hold everything together for the next few years, it's almost inevitable that the Steelers WILL win at least one more Super Bowl with this same group of guys.

fansince'76
05-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I have no doubt that the 70s Steelers, 80s Niners or 90s Cowboys would wipe the floor with this decade's Patriots if they ever played head-to-head. So would certain other teams with fewer titles, like the '85 Bears or late-80s-to-mid-90s Giants.

Depends - would they get the benefit of their opponents' stolen signals in those scenarios or not? Seems to me they haven't won shit since they were forced to stop cheating. And even before then, actually (see 2006 AFCCG chokejob against the Colts, for instance). I'm getting tired of hearing about them when they haven't won* a title in going on five years now. :coffee:

stlrtruck
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm getting tired of hearing about them when they haven't won* a title in going on five years now. :coffee:

Me too but until Goodell is out of office or retires and ESPN moves it's HQ out of Bristol, all we're going to hear about is the freakin' patriots!

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
What if Brady "never was"?

His injury may be the red herring, and the tapes, and signal stealing, and playbook pilfering (or lack thereof in 2009) the REAL cause for his inevitable demise...

LBJ ain't going anywhere. He'll sign the richest deal in sports history to stay in Cleveland.

fansince'76
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
....until Goodell is out of office or retires and ESPN moves it's HQ out of Bristol, all we're going to hear about is the freakin' patriots!

I don't watch Disney Channel II outside of a Steelers game being broadcast on it, and even then I have the sound muted. What I meant was that I'm getting tired of them being brought up on this board as somehow being the "standard the Steelers need to shoot for," when the standard we need to shoot for IMO was set between 1974-79.

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Depends - would they get the benefit of their opponents' stolen signals in those scenarios or not? Seems to me they haven't won shit since they were forced to stop cheating. And even before then, actually (see 2006 AFCCG chokejob against the Colts, for instance). I'm getting tired of hearing about them when they haven't won* a title in going on five years now. :coffee:

They could steal all the signals they want. Those teams were all good enough to dickstomp the Patriots anyway.

Remember, even when the Patriots* were at their absolute best and still free to cheat away, they still only barely won those titles, they were saved from elimination at least once every playoffs by plain crap-ass luck, and to top it all off, they did it in an artificially weakened league. Joe Montana's 49ers would probably run up 50 points on them, or if they played the '80s Giants or Bears, they'd come away with 0 points and a lot of injured receivers if Brady stuck with his typical gameplan of throwing nothing but annoying 5-yard passes over the middle.

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
The Pats owe a GREAT debt of gratitude to Adam Vinatieri. The rewarded him by letting him go.

Klassy like a pink flamingo in a trailer park.

LVSteelersfan
05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Patsie fans can kiss my butt. Their team has won nothing for almost 5 years in comparison to our 2 wins in the past 4. Sorry, dynasty and cheatin' hoodie don't belong in the same sentence.

BlastFurnace
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Patsie fans can kiss my butt. Their team has won nothing for almost 5 years in comparison to our 2 wins in the past 4. Sorry, dynasty and cheatin' hoodie don't belong in the same sentence.

I hate them too, but they won 3 in 4 years.

UF-Steeler
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I hate them too, but they won 3 in 4 years.

Pretty sure he was just saying that we've won more SBs in the past 5 years, not comparing wins.

I think Fansince said it best with his statement. Personally, I don't care if we are the team of the decade or not. I'll love my Steelers no matter what.

Preacher
05-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Um....

The decade isn't over until the2010 season has been played, which means the 2011 SB is actually part of the decade of the 00's.

People.. You start counting at 1, not 0.

This conversation is 18 months too premature.