PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Rivalries Fuel Playoff Runs

Phenomenal TJ
05-08-2009, 01:36 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/170229-the-afc-north-bitter-rivalries-fuel-playoff-runs

The AFC North ranks among one of the toughest divisions in all of football, perhaps itís the proximity of the four teams, maybe itís the similarities between the teams, and just maybe itís due to a genuine mix of hatred and respect shown for one another.

Galax Steeler
05-08-2009, 03:49 AM
The rival now is definetly the Ravens both teams come to play and hit real hard. The Browns use to give us good games then it was the Bengals but one thing is for sure we own the North.

stillers4me
05-08-2009, 04:54 AM
You should hear the Bungal fans........they all really think we are scared of them and they are our biggest rivals. When I tell them that the Browns are our long time rival and the Ravens are our most hated enemy and that that the Bungs are like insignificant .......they don't believe me. :hunch:

stlrtruck
05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
You should hear the Bungal fans........they all really think we are scared of them and they are our biggest rivals. When I tell them that the Browns are our long time rival and the Ravens are our most hated enemy and that that the Bungs are like insignificant .......they don't believe me. :hunch:

Just answer them with, "who are the bengals? I thought OSU was the Buckeyes?"

Stover4Prez
05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't really think it is the toughest division. There are really only 2 contenders at this point and while our rivalry is enough to carry the entire division, the division itself is not strong as a whole. The Bungles and Browns still have terrible teams and aren't going to be contenders for at least a couple years. Best current rivalry, yes. Toughest division? maybe not.

stlrtruck
05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't really think it is the toughest division. There are really only 2 contenders at this point and while our rivalry is enough to carry the entire division, the division itself is not strong as a whole. The Bungles and Browns still have terrible teams and aren't going to be contenders for at least a couple years. Best current rivalry, yes. Toughest division? maybe not.

I agree. While the beatings the ravens and Steelers give each other bi-annually are great football, the other teams drag the competition level down.

I'd have to say that the toughest division in the AFC would have to be the AFC South with the Colts, Titans, and Jags being tough and the Texans on the rise (at least presumably). In the NFC, right now, the NFC East with the skins, iggles, gints, and cowgirls. That might be the toughest division right now in the NFL, with the NFC South and North giving chase.

WeegiesWarriors
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Steelers and Bengals have never really been a rivalry because both teams really haven't been that good together aside from '05. In the 70s the Steelers were... the Steelers and the Bengals were mediocre at best. Then in the 80's the Bengals got good for a while and we struggled. Since the early 90's the term "Bungle" was coined while we have had great success. You can't get a good rivalry when neither team plays each other for the division on a consistent basis.

Seriously, since 92 when the Bengals started ripping off 4 win seasons did you really care about that game? Hell no. It was one that I was willing to sacrifice to do family stuff.

Steelers/Ravens is a rivalry because we've both been good at the same time.

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
The rival now is definetly the Ravens both teams come to play and hit real hard. The Browns use to give us good games then it was the Bengals but one thing is for sure we own the North.

Are you sure it'll be the Ravens this season? At the same time last year, everyone was talking about how we were going to have to duke it out with the Browns. The one before that, it was supposed to be the Bengals' year. Our big division rival keeps shifting every season, because none of them can keep it together for more than one good year in a row.

I can't honestly say for sure that the Ravens are going to collapse this year, but the seeds are there. Their defense comes back weaker, and their QB is still so young that there's a good 50 percent chance he could psych himself out or go into a season-long slump at any time. And let's face it, without him, their offense is trash.

So anyway, with a little luck, we could get the closest thing to a free pass we've seen in years.

stlrtruck
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Are you sure it'll be the Ravens this season? At the same time last year, everyone was talking about how we were going to have to duke it out with the Browns. The one before that, it was supposed to be the Bengals' year. Our big division rival keeps shifting every season, because none of them can keep it together for more than one good year in a row.

I can't honestly say for sure that the Ravens are going to collapse this year, but the seeds are there. Their defense comes back weaker, and their QB is still so young that there's a good 50 percent chance he could psych himself out or go into a season-long slump at any time. And let's face it, without him, their offense is trash.

So anyway, with a little luck, we could get the closest thing to a free pass we've seen in years.

So if I follow what you're saying, it's only a matter of time before all 3 teams return to the cellar and we roll through this division like it was the 70's?

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
So if I follow what you're saying, it's only a matter of time before all 3 teams return to the cellar and we roll through this division like it was the 70's?

Well, not quite, but this could be one year where we get lucky and do that. Odds are at least one of the three other teams will be decent in a given year, but my point is they're all so up-and-down that it's hard to have one steady rival.

Baltimore is probably the closest to being consistently good over the past few seasons, but they may actually be on the way down depending on how their defense holds up. As guys get old and/or leave for more money, they could end up as just another random team with a below-average offense.

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
The only team North of 10 wins this year in the AFCN is the Steelers.

In fact, we'll have one of the weakest divisions in all of football.

Ravnet
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM

The Steelers have made the playoffs six times since 2000.

The Ravens have made the playoffs six times since 2000.

The Bengals have made the playoffs once since 1991.

The Browns have made the playoffs once since 1995.

The AFC North isn't even close to being a flip-flop division, it's consistently ruled by Baltimore/Pittsburgh.

The Ravens were plagued by injuries in 2007, and thus the Browns stepped up to fill the void, please don't try to make it out as if Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnati are constantly battling for second best in the division.

fansince'76
05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
The Steelers have made the playoffs six times since 2000.

The Ravens have made the playoffs six times since 2000.

The Bengals have made the playoffs once since 1991.

The Browns have made the playoffs once since 1995.

The AFC North isn't even close to being a flip-flop division, it's consistently ruled by Baltimore/Pittsburgh.

The Ravens were plagued by injuries in 2007, and thus the Browns stepped up to fill the void, please don't try to make it out as if Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnati are constantly battling for second best in the division.

In the eight seasons since realignment in 2001, the Steelers have won the AFC North five times (2001, 2002, 2004, 2007 and 2008), while the Ravens have won it twice (2003, 2006) and the Bengals once (2005). Sorry, but it usually is the Steelers at the top of the division with the other three shooting for second-best.

Ravnet
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
In the eight seasons since realignment in 2001, the Steelers have won the AFC North five times (2001, 2002, 2004, 2007 and 2008), while the Ravens have won it twice (2003, 2006) and the Bengals once (2005). Sorry, but it usually is the Steelers at the top of the division with the other three shooting for second-best.

Sure, you've won the division more than anyone else, but seeing as how both our teams have won Super Bowls as non-division winners, we should know how valuable a wild card berth is, so to discredit the validity of entering the playoffs in that manner is foolish.

Pittsburgh has the clear edge over Baltimore, but there is a huge gap between second and third/fourth in the AFC North hierarchy.

The fact remains that Pittsburgh/Baltimore have entered the playoffs a combined total of 12 times in the past nine seasons, with the appearances being split evenly between the two, while Cleveland/Cincinnati have reached the postseason twice, even when put togehter, in 18 years.