PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sales Illegal now too?

xfl2001fan
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Posted by a buddy on another forum:
This Federal Government micro-manage bullshit was passed by congress last year to "help the children". The poorly constructed law has instead taken millions of safe products off the shelves, crushed many small businesses, and has likely made your yard sale illegal.

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/133378.html

Thinking of having a yard sale this weekend? Before you do, be sure to consult CSPC Publication #254 [PDF].

This handy 28-pager from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds the American people that, thanks to the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (which I have blogged about here and here), the government is totally in charge of your yard sale:

This handbook will help sellers of used products identify types of potentially hazardous products that could harm children or others. CPSC’s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets.

Selling old kids books, anything with metal, paint, or plastic that a kid might use, old clothes or shoes with metal components that a kid might wear? You know, any of the stuff people routinely sell at yard sales? Technically, you could be on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of fines. Obviously, it's unlikely the CPSA goons are going to bust up your yard sale. But putting out a detailed booklet that reserves the right to do so is hardly encouraging about where the implementation of this legislation is heading.

And read a big fat article on this by yours truly in the print issue of Reason that will be hitting newstands any minute now.

Via Walter Olson, who has been a rock star on this issue. Follow him on Twitter @walterolson for all the news.

Here's some more background and opinion from a lawyer that says this law sucks:

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=F68B1EB6-18FE-70B2-A8EA661B4549897D

While you and I may/may not see them any time soon, why put this kind of legislation and go through the time, effort and taxpayers dollars to create the 28 page leaflet unless it is going to be used. I feel for those communities that like to host community yard sales. That's likely to be the first target.

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, thanks Obama! I feel even safer now!

xfl2001fan
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow, thanks Obama! I feel even safer now!

Well, your children should anyways! Just think, with all the money they can make from fines, they might be able to pay 1% of 1% of Obama's "budget".

steelreserve
05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Wow, another great example of the American compulsion to legislate everything to death. Especially when it comes to kids. They treat it as if kids are incapable of even standing up straight without fatally injuring themselves. Pretty soon it'll be illegal even to talk to kids unless both you and they are wearing specially approved safety gear.

Godfather
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
It would make more sense to publish that information so consumers could use it before buying used goods. But what do I know?

It's also funny how they do this but they don't stop and inspect all Chicom goods coming into the country.

drewcary
05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
It would make more sense to publish that information so consumers could use it before buying used goods. But what do I know?

It's also funny how they do this but they don't stop and inspect all Chicom goods coming into the country.

You expect people to be responsible for their own choices?

You are not of Obama.

Dino 6 Rings
05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I like selling buckets of mercury and the ashes left over from my massive tire burns I hold once a month.

That stuff sells like crazy!

By the way, I'm on the look out for Metal Lawn Darts and old school "Clakers".

Want to teach my kids how to play the way I did, with life and death on the line!

Steelman16
05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I like selling buckets of mercury and the ashes left over from my massive tire burns I hold once a month.

Want to teach my kids how to play the way I did, with life and death on the line!

:laughing:

silver & black
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM

LOL... we used to have lawn dart fights back in the day. Not very smart... but it sure was fun!:sofunny:

I busted the sh*t out of my elbows with those damn clackers!

steelwall
05-10-2009, 08:31 PM
lol... lawn darts were fun!!!

steelerguy26
05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Gotta love big brother. Always sticking his ugly face where it does not belong.

tony hipchest
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
california would secede if the govt took away their yard sales.

"yard saling" is considered a sport and hobby there.

St33lersguy
05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Obama is to america as pansyboy Goodell is to the NFL. Apparently Obama and the hopeless hacks doesn't realize he is in america where citizens are born with freedoms so he, like a dictator is taking away yard sale and is coming up with a bunch of propaganda to support his oppression

HometownGal
05-11-2009, 04:53 PM

LMAO!!!!:toofunny::toofunny: Clackers rocked!

I think croquet mallets should be on that "dangerous for kids" list too. I used to chase my brother around the yard with one of those. :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
yes, absolutely I need a croquet set. I'll be sure to set it up in the backyard and have one of the wickets in the grass between the two Horse Shoe Pits. Darn Right! Great Idea!