PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton

Slanted August
05-08-2009, 09:17 PM
1st time poster....long time lurker

Does anyone know how Casey looks this year? Hopefully he is in a little better shape since its his audition for a new contract. Having said that I still feel he is an elite NT that can still bring it. Look at some of the film from last year and you will notice how teams ran somewhat effectively up the middle when Hoke came in to spot him. Hoke is no Slouch either and could probably start on a lot of teams.

I love how you see some fans say "Casey sucks" and is a "fat slug" because he is not on everyones highlight reel, not in any statistical leader standings, and his name is not mentioned every play. These are the casual fans who dont realize that this guys key role is to take on two 300+lb bodies and contain them so a LB can make a play in the gaps and get the media and casual fan glory. Anyways, I hope he his a little hungrier for competition this tme around. Any info would be appreciated......

Hapa
05-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know anything about him, other than that he's a monster and frickin thick. To be 6'1'' and 325 lbs (probably more than that) and be able to be a great football... he's got some crazy lungs.

Steeldude
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
To be 6'1'' and 325 lbs (probably more than that)

yeah, i would add about 30 to 45 lbs to that number. i hope he gets back to 325.

pancake
05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I hope we are able to resign him.

Galax Steeler
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I hope we are able to resign him.

He could very easily be a cap casulaty next year.

AllD
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
He looks hungry.

Slanted August
05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
He looks hungry.

Dude,

You are too funny for this thread.

lilyoder6
05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
He looks hungry.

the ? is.. when does he not look hungry??? :noidea:

The Duke
05-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Grew up in texas. Went to college in texas. Cowboys need a real NT. Jerry Jones loves giving out big contracts

sounds like a perfect fit to me

I would love it if he stayed, but having a capable starter in hoke makes it hard with both being in contract years, plus so many other players needed to be resigned

Slanted August
05-09-2009, 11:23 AM
the ? is.. when does he not look hungry??? :noidea:

and yet another natural born comedian.....

Steely McSmash
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
The question is when will the big guy decline. a contract for this guy will be risky. Unless he gives a discount and signs a cheap 2 year deal or so, it's the end of the road IMO.

None of the other NT guys we have in camp are quite as short and squat as the snack. They are all taller and lighter. I've heard he was over 400lbs last year coming to camp and that he had some personal problems in the offseason. Also heard on the radio that he was embarassed about it and doesn't want to be in the same situation this year.

Slanted August
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
The question is when will the big guy decline. a contract for this guy will be risky. Unless he gives a discount and signs a cheap 2 year deal or so, it's the end of the road IMO.

None of the other NT guys we have in camp are quite as short and squat as the snack. They are all taller and lighter. I've heard he was over 400lbs last year coming to camp and that he had some personal problems in the offseason. Also heard on the radio that he was embarassed about it and doesn't want to be in the same situation this year.

Thanks for the insight. These guys are tough to find. Thats why Grady Jackson is still kicking around. I know he is only one link in the chain but if he does come back focused and with something to prove we should be dominate against the run again.

BlastFurnace
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Just a prediction...this is Casey's last year with us. The Steelers won't make a strong attempt to resign him.

OX1947
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Just a prediction...this is Casey's last year with us. The Steelers won't make a strong attempt to resign him.

Unless he took the vet min, I agree. I do not think Tomlin thinks much of him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM

I have already been looking at Wake Forest's Boo Robinson....(6'3 325 lbs)...it will be interesting to see what he does next year.

In 2008 he had 47 tackles...6 tackles for loss...5 sacks...1 forced fumble and 1 interception.

Even if we keep Hampton...Robinson would be a good young player behind him.

devilsdancefloor
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
i really think snack pissed coach off last year coming to camp more wobbly than normal. and i think unless he takes a discount he will be playing for the cards next year. Dont get me wrong love the guy he eats up (no pun intended :flap:) 2 blocks every play and frees up farrior or timmons to make the play. But i think he seen what the 100mil contract haynesworthless is making. Hopefully he is smart about it maybe talk to foote after the season and maybe he takes a discount.:noidea::noidea::noidea::noidea:

HometownGal
05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I've heard he was over 400lbs last year coming to camp and that he had some personal problems in the offseason. Also heard on the radio that he was embarassed about it and doesn't want to be in the same situation this year.

Big Snack looked great in TC last year. Here's a pic of him and it's obvious he shed quite a few pounds to get into playing shape. That big boy gave up the cheeborgers, pizza and Primantis sandwiches and was stuffin' himself with protein! (Don't know about this year yet, but XT and I will see him at camp again, I'm sure).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/PGHLADYmlg/Steelers%20TC%202008/SouthCarolina2008262.jpg

OneForTheToe
05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I have already been looking at Wake Forest's Boo Robinson....(6'3 325 lbs)...it will be interesting to see what he does next year.

In 2008 he had 47 tackles...6 tackles for loss...5 sacks...1 forced fumble and 1 interception.

Even if we keep Hampton...Robinson would be a good young player behind him.

That would be great. Every team should have a player that they can yell Boo Boo Boo, requiring an explanaition from the game announcers.:tt:

Psyychoward86
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Id like him resigned. Ive heard that we take him off the field and stick Chris Hoke in there for pass plays though. We need to groom an heir apparent for him next year. Not as easy to groom that heir apparent when the heir isnt there.

steelreserve
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I've heard Hampton quoted as saying he wants to stay with the Steelers, but also saying some things like "I want to get paid, I hope they can find a way to make it happen."

Judging from the fact that he's already making $6.6 million this year under his current contract, I think he just might ask for way more than we can afford. Like $9 or $10 million a year for 5 years, which -- I've got news for you -- we ain't going to give him.

Maybe we'll franchise him next year if we really don't have a replacement (finally getting rid of Starks could help with that) but after that I really have a hard time seeing how it's going to work out.

stillers4me
05-09-2009, 10:02 PM
6.6 million? That's not much with his appetite. :chuckle:

steelwall
05-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think Hampton is going to take a pay cut to stay.

FSUBoo
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I will just give Big Snack some credit as to how hard it is playing NT. I played NT in high school in a 3 - 4 and I remember getting double and triple blocked cause I was 6'1" 330 in 9th grade. Not much fun or very easy. I respect him cause he does it against guys that are way stronger. The lower body strength required for something like that is ridiculous.

steelwall
05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
I will just give Big Snack some credit as to how hard it is playing NT. I played NT in high school in a 3 - 4 and I remember getting double and triple blocked cause I was 6'1" 330 in 9th grade. Not much fun or very easy. I respect him cause he does it against guys that are way stronger. The lower body strength required for something like that is ridiculous.

6'1" 330lbs in the 9th grade...lol... I bet the High School coach was foaming at the mouth the first time you showed up to practice :laughing:

FSUBoo
05-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Lol yeah, they had to get my helmet from FSU. The only NFL player with a bigger helmet today than me is Leonard Davis. I was 6" 300 in 7th grade lol. I was watched by FSU and Florida in middle school and high school but had family issues and had to quit playing after 10th grade.

Rek
05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't think Hampton is going to take a pay cut to stay.

He's only making millions of dollars. That's not enough, the man has to eat. :chuckle:

steelerguy26
05-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Big Snack should be resigned in my opinion. You can't replace what he brings to the team with a rookie. I think they should try to work out a 2-3 yr incentive laden contract with him. To just let this guy walk with no true replacement behind him is not a smart move.

Hampton is the reason our defense is so good against the run and a big part of our pass rush. He takes up 2 sometimes 3 blockers to open lanes for the other guys to get to the ball carrier or the QB.

NT is the most important position in a 3-4 defense and it takes a special type of player to pull it off. You don't just replace that with a rookie or a career back up and expect to not lose a step or two.

Steelfan32578
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I live in Galveston, Casey's hometown, and I recently saw him at a parade. He was honored at his high school where his jersey was retired. He definately looks better than last year. I am sure he will come into camp in much better shape b/c it is a contract year.

triphahn
05-16-2009, 11:46 AM
He pissed off a lot of people last year with his arrival at training camp. What was it. He could not run 3 100 yard sprints. How he shows up this year will be real important but he is definately in that area where the Steelers start to let players go.

Vincent
05-16-2009, 12:39 PM
He definately looks better than last year. I am sure he will come into camp in much better shape b/c it is a contract year.

Hmmm. A "svelte" in shape Big Snack. Line him up in front of the Tank for some "close in work".

Or, can you visualize the Snack leading a sweep? :chuckle:

http://www.pghsports.com/2007-Issues/psr0712/Casey_Hampton.jpg

BehindSteelCurtain
05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmmm. A "svelte" in shape Big Snack. Line him up in front of the Tank for some "close in work".

Or, can you visualize the Snack leading a sweep? :chuckle:

http://www.pghsports.com/2007-Issues/psr0712/Casey_Hampton.jpg

JP Losman is a piece of bacon to him.

Psyychoward86
05-16-2009, 01:59 PM
He's in shape. Round is a shape :rolleyes: