PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh bound

mesaSteeler
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Pittsburgh bound
Montrose native Dirk Johnson signs deal with Super Bowl champion Steelers
http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2009/05/08/sports/doc49fd135346fce324267552.txt

By Matt Lindberg
Daily Press Sports Writer
Published/Last Modified on Saturday, May 2, 2009 9:43 PM MDT
PITTSBURGH — Former Montrose football player Dirk Johnson is looking to help the Pittsburgh Steelers defend their Super Bowl title next season.

Johnson signed a new deal on Friday to join the defending Super Bowl champions after the Washington Redskins released him earlier in the week. The Steelers defeated Johnson’s previous team, the Arizona Cardinals 27-23 in February’s Super Bowl. The Cardinals released Johnson at the end of the regular season last year.

Johnson will compete with Daniel Sepulveda, who was the Steelers' regular punter in 2007, but didn't play last season due to a torn ligament. Mitch Berger, who punted for Pittsburgh last season, has yet to re-sign with the Steelers.

The Montrose alum started his career with the New Orleans Saints in 2002, before joining the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003, where he spent three seasons and appeared in the Super Bowl in 2004, where the Eagles fell to the New England Patriots 24-21. He spent the 2007 season with the Chicago Bears and 2008 with the Arizona Cardinals before being released during the season. In Arizona, he finished with a 41.8-yard average and currently has a career average of 41.7-yards on 320 punts.

The Daily Press contacted Johnson on Saturday, who said he would comment on the new deal in the coming days.

Galax Steeler
05-09-2009, 06:05 AM
How many punters do we have trying to make the team now. I think there is at least 3 I am not sure.

stillers4me
05-09-2009, 07:05 AM
I know 2 of us Steelers babes that are gonna be real upset if they replace our Danny with some guy named "Dirk". :chuckle:

stlrtruck
05-09-2009, 07:52 AM
This nothing more than training camp competition to get Danny Boy back in shape. Dirk will be nothing more than roster # and a scratch by week 4 of training camp.

Slanted August
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
This bothers me when I 1st saw this last week. Dan may still need a little more time. I could see if we got a couple UDFA's but the signing of Dirk makes it a little more serious. Maybe I am looking too hard into this.

Having said that field positon really is so critical so having an ideal kicker that can make it from 50 yds when needed and can get touchbacks and a punter that can average 40 yds plus net (with good special teams coverage) and strategically place it inside the 20 is huge. Our D as aggresive as it is (except for the corner cusions) seems to even take more chances if the opponent is pinned deep in their territory.

Steely McSmash
05-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Piotr Czech is the other guy. I've heard that he was booming some kicks at mini camp.

I think they're insurance since Sepulveda's injury is not fully healed yet.

Psyychoward86
05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Im not so sure it's insurance as much as a way of making Dan kick his butt up and down the field. Maybe just competition to keep him on his toes?