PDA

View Full Version : 5 young players who will impact the Steelers in 09

steelerguy26
05-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I have been looking at some of the young guys on the Steelers roster who could be cast into starting or valuble back up roles for the up coming season and I have come up with a list of 5 players who I think will make a difference....

1. Limas Sweed
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. William Gay
4. Lawrence Timmons
5. Mike Wallace

Just wondering who everyone else thinks will step up their games in 09?

steelreserve
05-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Well, the first four are "duh" unless Sweed turns out to suck (in which case Wallace would have a good shot) or unless Mendenhall gets shafted because the staff stays stubborn about only using Parker at RB again. Either one of those could happen.

Personally, I'd put Urbik on that list as a likely starter, and Summers is definitely going to see some action because we don't have anyone like him.

For dark horses, I wonder if Mundy is going to be a strong enough backup that we finally let Tyrone Carter go, or if Bruce Davis ends up getting some playing time because of injuries. And who knows what's going to happen with Shipley.

Overall, I like where we are. No question marks except OL and RB, and decent draft picks competing for a role at every position -- without needing to be pressed into service immediately with a roll of the dice.

Rick5895
05-09-2009, 05:51 AM
I completely agree with Steelreserve on Urbik, He will make a huge impact on the running game, I think he is very similiar to a young Faneca!

Galax Steeler
05-09-2009, 06:16 AM
I have been looking at some of the young guys on the Steelers roster who could be cast into starting or valuble back up roles for the up coming season and I have come up with a list of 5 players who I think will make a difference....

1. Limas Sweed
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. William Gay
4. Lawrence Timmons
5. Mike Wallace

If Timmons steps up his game from last year everyone better look out.

mmalone
05-09-2009, 07:56 AM
6. Frank Summers

lilyoder6
05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
i think keenen lewis.. the 3rd rd cb we picked up will turn some heads.. i think he has the presence to be a real good corner.. and can learn behind taylor and deshea.....

and i hoping that wallace and or burnett makes a name in the return game

Steely McSmash
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
1. Limas Sweed
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. ---
4. ---
5. Mike Wallace
6. Urbik

I think this is the list. Urbik can open some holes in the middle.

As for Gay and Timmons, I expect the performance from those position groups to be about the same, which is a good thing. I just don't expect a dramatic transition.

Sharkissle29
05-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Here's my 5 of the not so obvious ones....

1. Kraig Urbik
2. Frank Summers
3. William Gay
4. Daniel Sepulvada (spell check)
5. Bruce Davis (special teams)

bigjamesharrison2
05-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Here's mine...

1. Sweed
2. Timmons
3. Summers
4. Gay
5. Urbik
6. Wallace

St33lersguy
05-09-2009, 03:00 PM
1. Limas Sweed
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. William Gay
4. Lawrence Timmons
5. Mike Wallace

Limas has potential, but if he has the same jitters as last year then he won't succeed.
Considering the OC is still pea brains unfortunately it still is poosible that Arians (being the dimbulb he is) will still not have Mendenhall in the offensive gameplan.
The last time a steeler 3rd round rookie got much playing time his rookie season was..... can't think of one. Barring an injury, he probalby will not play much.
Timmons and Gay should make an impact

Milkman
05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Here's my 5 of the not so obvious ones....

1. Kraig Urbik
2. Frank Summers
3. William Gay
4. Daniel Sepulvada (spell check)
5. Bruce Davis (special teams)

Sepulveda ftw!

paw-n-maul-u
05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Recently I've began thinking about how much Tomlin is actually shaping this team into the one he wants.

Think about how many starters have changed since he's arrived ...

Porter replaced by Harrison

Haggans replaced by Woodley

Mcfadden replaced by Gay/Lewis

Foote replaced by Timmons

Gardoki replaced by Sepulveda

Faneca replaced by Kemo

Simmons replaced by Stapelton

Smith replaced by Starks

Okobi/Hartings replaced by Mahan/Hartwig

Colon got his big chance under Tomlin

thats almost half the starting positions completely replaced. And during that time the Steelers won a superbowl.

The way its going ... in the next year or so (unless some serious hometown discounts are taken) we could also see:

(and yes some of these are very hypothetical, but not all)

Parker replaced by Mendenhall

Kiesel replaced by Hood

Clark replaced by Mundy?

Holmes replaced by Sweed/Wallace?

Although a lot of this has gone under the radar as far as ESPN and the other talking heads are concerned, Tomlin has quietly assembled a boatload of talent.

I mean look at our first draft ... four legit starters out of that group timmons woodley sep gay .... Speath was never expected to take Millers spot, and even baker has hung around and has a chance for a roster spot this year.

I really like what Tomlin is doing, I think he is going to put together one of the deepest teams in the league over the next 3-4 years, right in the prime of big ben's career.

19ward86
05-09-2009, 07:38 PM
ben roethlisberger lol

SteelersTilIDie
05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
urbik
mendenhall
sweed
gay
timmons

ShutDown24
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
If Wallace has any type of hands, he has the potential to easily replace Nate. And I love Nate. But this kid can fly faster than I've seen a receiver in the black and gold do... Maybe ever.

Steeldude
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Recently I've began thinking about how much Tomlin is actually shaping this team into the one he wants.

Think about how many starters have changed since he's arrived ...

Porter replaced by Harrison - porter was let go because of salary and age

Haggans replaced by Woodley - haggans' contract was up

Mcfadden replaced by Gay/Lewis - FA and wanted too much money

Foote replaced by Timmons - foote wanted to be released

Gardoki replaced by Sepulveda - anyone would have replaced gardocki

Faneca replaced by Kemo - faneca wanted out and more money. age was also a factor

Simmons replaced by Stapelton - simmons got hurt

Smith replaced by Starks - smith got hurt and his contract was up

Okobi/Hartings replaced by Mahan/Hartwig - hartings retired

Colon got his big chance under Tomlin - colon beat out starks

thats almost half the starting positions completely replaced. And during that time the Steelers won a superbowl.

The way its going ... in the next year or so (unless some serious hometown discounts are taken) we could also see:

(and yes some of these are very hypothetical, but not all)

Parker replaced by Mendenhall

Kiesel replaced by Hood

Clark replaced by Mundy?

Holmes replaced by Sweed/Wallace?

Although a lot of this has gone under the radar as far as ESPN and the other talking heads are concerned, Tomlin has quietly assembled a boatload of talent.

I mean look at our first draft ... four legit starters out of that group timmons woodley sep gay .... Speath was never expected to take Millers spot, and even baker has hung around and has a chance for a roster spot this year.

I really like what Tomlin is doing, I think he is going to put together one of the deepest teams in the league over the next 3-4 years, right in the prime of big ben's career.

IMO, any coach who came in would have most likely done the same moves. all coaches replace old and/or overpaid players.

FSUBoo
05-10-2009, 12:22 AM
My 6

1) Timmons
2) Gay
3) Lewis
4) Baker
5) Urbik
6) Mendenhall

I know I'm probably gonna have some people saying "Baker? What the hell?" but I have heard he's looked good this year in training camp and I have always thought he would make it in the NFL someday.

paw-n-maul-u
05-10-2009, 03:00 AM
IMO, any coach who came in would have most likely done the same moves. all coaches replace old and/or overpaid players.

touche' on any coach coming in and making big lineup changes, but you can't seriously comment on what would have happened had Tomlin not been selected in favor of someone else. ... and at the same time, not "any" coach becomes the youngest in league history to win a superbowl. I was trying to say that I'm more impressed with how he HAS formed this team than simply how he inserted new starters

paw-n-maul-u
05-10-2009, 03:04 AM
touche' on any coach coming in and making big lineup changes, but you can't seriously comment on what would have happened had Tomlin not been selected in favor of someone else. ... and at the same time, not "any" coach becomes the youngest in league history to win a superbowl. I was trying to say that I'm more impressed with how he HAS formed this team than simply how he inserted new starters

Rek
05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
1. Sweeeeeeeeed
2. Mendy
3. Mike Wallace (I think he is going to light up the PR and KR more than people think. He'll have at least one TD return for each this season, you heard it here first.)
4. Gay
5. Timms

Rowghani
05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
1) Mendenhall