PDA

View Full Version : raiders sign Gary russell & L Neal

devilsdancefloor
05-09-2009, 07:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The Oakland Raiders have bolstered their backfield by signing fullback Lorenzo Neal(notes) and running back Gary Russell(notes).

The team added the two backs in time for the start of the mandatory minicamp Friday.

The Raiders were unable to find a fullback in the draft, so they signed Neal. He is considered one of the best blocking backs in the game. The 16-year veteran spent last season in Baltimore.

Russell spent two seasons in Pittsburgh, rushing for 98 yards and three touchdowns. He also scored the first touchdown for the Steelers in the Super Bowl win against Arizona.

Coach Tom Cable also says receiver Javon Walker(notes) recently informed the team he underwent knee surgery and won’t be ready until training camp. Walker missed the second half of last season with an ankle injury.

Psyychoward86
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Lorenzo Neal= FAIL. Gary Russel.......uh wait a minute, is going to oakland a dropoff from cincy or vice versa?

ShutDown24
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm glad Gary has a chance to play. Good for him.

devilsdancefloor
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
neal has to be 50 lol how old is that guy! he blocked for some really everybody now it seems, but the steelers lol.

SteelCityMan786
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
neal has to be 50 lol how old is that guy! he blocked for some really everybody now it seems, but the steelers lol.

Morten Anderson was a kicker until age 47. Who says someone can't play Neal's position at his age???

The Duke
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Lorenzo Neal= FAIL.

He's still the best at his position at his age. raiders offense is based on running the ball, so they get a good deal here with neal

imagine being 39 and still blocking linebackers into the ground. wow

good luck to Russell :drink:

KeiselPower99
05-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Russell has a lot to deal with there besides the culture. McFadden Bush and Fargas are in front of him. Hopefully he does catch on somewhere. I really think he could be the star running back for the UFL this fall.

Psyychoward86
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
He's still the best at his position at his age. raiders offense is based on running the ball, so they get a good deal here with neal

imagine being 39 and still blocking linebackers into the ground. wow

good luck to Russell :drink:

No no, i think he rocks the boat as a fullback. Just going to Oakland is just a bad way to end things (unless he keeps playing afterwards).

sherlock
05-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Good luck Russell.
Personally I was sorry to see him go.
As kick-off/punt returner and short yardage man.I thought he was the best on the Steelers roster.

Galax Steeler
05-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm glad Gary has a chance to play. Good for him.

He will have to make the team first they have a crowede backfield so it may be hard for him to make the team.

Psyychoward86
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Good luck Russell.
Personally I was sorry to see him go.
As kick-off/punt returner and short yardage man.I thought he was the best on the Steelers roster.

That's not saying much :coffee:

silver & black
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Neal will be a good vet presence. He will teach O'neil a thing or two about the FB position, I'm sure. O'neil may not not be ready to play at the beginning of the season, and I won't mind Neal playing at all... despite being 50...LOL.

silver & black
05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Lorenzo Neal= FAIL. Gary Russel.......uh wait a minute, is going to oakland a dropoff from cincy or vice versa?

LOL... ok. He may be old, but he still has a bit left in the tank. I'll take him for the intangibles and vet presence, alone.

MasterOfPuppets
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
i'm kinda suprised the ratbirds didn't keep him for another year....:noidea:

55BaileyFan
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Neal is still good, but Russell...another convict in Oakland.

silver & black
05-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Neal is still good, but Russell...another convict in Oakland.

"Another" convict huh? What "other" convicts will he be keeping company with in Oakland?

lilyoder6
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
i don't understand the gary russell signing.. u alrdy have 3 backs that should have good playing time...

silver & black
05-11-2009, 07:45 PM
i don't understand the gary russell signing.. u alrdy have 3 backs that should have good playing time...

Honestly... I don't understand it either. :noidea:

steelreserve
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Honestly... I don't understand it either. :noidea:

Well, SOMEbody has to bring the weed ...

revefsreleets
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, that seals the deal. With these key signings, plus drafting a second rounder WR with bad hands about 40 picks early, it's a sure bet that the Raiders will win the SB, and Al Davis will have the last laugh!

tony hipchest
05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
heyward bay is off to a great start. he reportedly missed 3 catches in a row in saturdays minicamp and then had to miss sundays practice due to fatigue.

seriously, this young professional athelete should have all the energy in the world, yet was tired.

what a shame. he had a boo-boo on his hammy too.

sounds like he needs to pack his vag in ice to me.

silver & black
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, that seals the deal. With these key signings, plus drafting a second rounder WR with bad hands about 40 picks early, it's a sure bet that the Raiders will win the SB, and Al Davis will have the last laugh!

Well... of course! :wink02:

revefsreleets
05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
The REAL question is, will the Raiders win 5 games?

Probably not.

silver & black
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
The REAL question is, will the Raiders win 5 games?

Probably not.
Unfortunately... I agree with you.

revefsreleets
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
If Garcia can stay off the stretcher, and can keep Russel off the field, they could go 8-8.

silver & black
05-14-2009, 07:01 AM
If Garcia can stay off the stretcher, and can keep Russel off the field, they could go 8-8.

It's possible, but There is no way that Russell isn't going to start the season. I look for Garcia to be the starter by game 6 though. I just don't think Russell is NFL material. Drafting him was a huge mistake IMO.

steelreserve
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
The Raiders are going to be hard-pressed to get to .500 this year. They're facing some pretty brutal opponents in the non-division schedule, although Cleveland and Cincy are certainly winnable games.

Then again, everyone else in their division is going to have the same problem, and the Broncos and Chefs look like they've taken themselves out of the competition. So I guess all the Raiders have to do is beat up on the AFC West and fare better than the Chargers in the rest of the sked to make the playoffs.

Maybe their first-round pick this year will be the difference that pushes them over the top. :rofl:

silver & black
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
The Raiders are going to be hard-pressed to get to .500 this year. They're facing some pretty brutal opponents in the non-division schedule, although Cleveland and Cincy are certainly winnable games.

Then again, everyone else in their division is going to have the same problem, and the Broncos and Chefs look like they've taken themselves out of the competition. So I guess all the Raiders have to do is beat up on the AFC West and fare better than the Chargers in the rest of the sked to make the playoffs.

Maybe their first-round pick this year will be the difference that pushes them over the top. :rofl:
You never know. :wink02: