PDA

View Full Version : The Odds We Franchise Fast Willie?

The Definiti0n
05-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Anybody have any insight or thought on us using the franchise tag on Willie Parker next year? How much would that be?

I hope we keep him. I would have hate to have memorized this song for nothing:laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK63ITV3Hkc

ShutDown24
05-10-2009, 02:13 AM
I don't think there is ANY chance of that happening.

Steeldude
05-10-2009, 02:38 AM
was that even a serious question?

there is a 0% chance of parker being franchise tagged.

The Definiti0n
05-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Really? Just no? Thanks for the insight. I mean we did franchise Starks twice. How many pro bowls has he been to? Its Not like Willie set any Superbowl records, won team MVP, been to mutiple pro bowls or anything.
Yea, you guys are right no way we want to keep this guy. Thanks for the input. I could get 2000 post too if I went into every thread and just replied NO!!!!

paw-n-maul-u
05-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Saying there is a zero percent chance of anything happening is just ignorant.

There should have been a zero percent chance that the bumbling fool who's name is not-to-be-mentioned (code name: dubya), was going to be reelected, esp. when the majority voted otherwise.

Willie parker is closer to the top five RB's than Max Starks will ever be to the top 5 LT's. Not saying that is any indication at all, but I would give it no less than a 5% chance.

actually, 4%.

The Definiti0n
05-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Im not saying we should. I just asked a question. I know typically we dont use our tag. I know we typically dont negotiate with players while their under contract or sign players over 30. But we have done all three this past offseason.

OX1947
05-10-2009, 03:40 AM
I know people keep harping on the fact that we have tagged Starks but Starks saved us this year at LT. Had they not franchised him he would have left and Essex would have been the LT. I am not sure how that would have worked out but at least Starks played really well for 11 games plus playoffs. I do not remember any blind side sacks at least.

The Definiti0n
05-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I know people keep harping on the fact that we have tagged Starks but Starks saved us this year at LT. Had they not franchised him he would have left and Essex would have been the LT. I am not sure how that would have worked out but at least Starks played really well for 11 games plus playoffs. I do not remember any blind side sacks at least.

14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=101&f=1795&t=3958206

Steelers & I
05-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I think that the Steelers have drafted Mendenhall and the Tank with the answer to your question in mind. I personnally believe that the Steelers intentions are to let Willie go after next season. I just don't view Willie Parker as a complete back, he doesn't block well, he doesn't catch extremely well, and he's not powerful enough to get the tough yard or two in short yardage situations.

They brought in Moore to handle the 3rd down RB duties such as pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield, they drafted Mendenhall in hopes that he would handle the short yardage carries, and now they draft "The Tank". In my opinion that shows that the Steelers have no future plans for "FAST" Willie Parker.

Galax Steeler
05-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I think that the Steelers have drafted Mendenhall and the Tank with the answer to your question in mind. I personnally believe that the Steelers intentions are to let Willie go after next season. I just don't view Willie Parker as a complete back, he doesn't block well, he doesn't catch extremely well, and he's not powerful enough to get the tough yard or two in short yardage situations.

They brought in Moore to handle the 3rd down RB duties such as pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield, they drafted Mendenhall in hopes that he would handle the short yardage carries, and now they draft "The Tank". In my opinion that shows that the Steelers have no future plans for "FAST" Willie Parker.

Well said that is the way I see it also. Our backfield is full and I see Parker on his way out next year. yea his services was good but not great. We will see Mendenhall Moore and the tank for the next few years.

RJC
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Really? Just no? Thanks for the insight. I mean we did franchise Starks twice. How many pro bowls has he been to? Its Not like Willie set any Superbowl records, won team MVP, been to mutiple pro bowls or anything.
Yea, you guys are right no way we want to keep this guy. Thanks for the input. I could get 2000 post too if I went into every thread and just replied NO!!!!

We drafted a RB in the 1st round in Rashard Mendenhall. There is absolutely no chance that Parker gets franchised, and gets paid t he average of the top 5 salaries at his position when we have a 1st round talent waiting in the wings. Starks got franchised because they had no one to replace him. Not the case with Parker. Couple his recent injury history, and I think it's safe to assume he's in his final season in Black & Gold....

billybob
05-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Somebody is having their period ?

Psyychoward86
05-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Whatta bunch of doubting thomases. He has one bad season and his career is done :rolleyes:. I think it could happen, especially if it happened to Starks twice. Jeebus. I still love the guy, and i want him to stay :tt:

The Duke
05-10-2009, 09:27 AM
We drafted a RB in the 1st round in Rashard Mendenhall. There is absolutely no chance that Parker gets franchised, and gets paid t he average of the top 5 salaries at his position when we have a 1st round talent waiting in the wings. .

exactly. It's impossible willie will get paid 6-8 million a year with so many other backs on the roster.

Starks was more of a need, a desperation move if you will....

Whatta bunch of doubting thomases. He has one bad season and his career is done :rolleyes:. I think it could happen, especially if it happened to Starks twice. Jeebus. I still love the guy, and i want him to stay :tt:

no, it's not about that. like RJC said, it happened to starks cause there was no one to replace him, and left tackle is one of the most important positions in football. Runningbacks come and go, and we have 3 without willie. YOUNGER ones too

I want him to stay too, heck I bet even willie haters would want him to stay at a hometown discount, imagine that change of pace with Mendenhall as a starter....But the chances of him even staying are very low, especially if rashard breaks out

St33lersguy
05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
No way steelers franchise him

SteelCityMan786
05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I think Starks already got that tag.

Rek
05-10-2009, 10:58 AM
They never will tag him but I could see him taking a paycut to stay next year and beyond. The Steelers were the only team to give the undrafted rookie a chance and I'm sure he is loyal.

Steeldude
05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I mean we did franchise Starks twice

uh...and your point?

How many pro bowls has he been to

pro bowls mean nothing

Its Not like Willie set any Superbowl records, won team MVP, been to mutiple pro bowls or anything

you are comparing a LT to a RB. you are comparing a position on the steelers which is deep to another position that is shallow.

i have no problem going into 2009 without parker, but i do have a problem going into 2009 without a starting and/or experienced LT.

X-Terminator
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM

It has nothing to do with his season last year. It has everything to do with the reality of the situation. He's going to be 30 years old, the age where a lot of backs start to break down from all of the punishment they take. They have a 1st round pick waiting in the wings to take over the starting job. They also have a couple of pretty important young guys they will need to give contract extensions with significant raises to in Miller and Holmes. That adds up to absolutely no chance Parker gets tagged next year. 2009 for all intents and purposes will be Parker's last in a Steelers uniform. And this is not coming from one of the seemingly endless amount of haters that he has. I love Willie and have steadfastly defended him from the haters on this board. But the handwriting is on the wall.

steelerguy26
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I do not see the Steelers tagging Parker. I do see them trying to resign him though. I realize the backfield may be a little crowded or so it may seem with Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and now Tank.

But Willy is an important peice of the puzzle. He is still young and has allot to offer the team. If he is willing to sign for a reasonable price tag he will remain a Steeler.

Tank I think will be used more as a FB and didn't Moore only sign a 3 year deal as well? Which means he won't be around all that much longer either. The potential Parker and Mendy have as a 1-2 punch is awesome.

It will all come down to the dollar though and how bad Willy wants to remain a Steeler and how he and Mendy work together. Now way we let Willy go in his prime in my opinion, not a smart move.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think we franchise him unless Mendenhall were to not play well and Willie have another 1500 yard season.

But if Mendenhall has his big season like we think he will, he will replace Parker after this season (if not during).

I am a Parker fan, but the reality of it is that Parker is going to be on the wrong side of 30, and there is a back waiting in the wings to take his spot.

Now if nobody offers Parker a big money contract right off of the bat, he could come back as a backup change-of-pace back to Mendenhall.

But like I said earlier, unless Mendenhall bombs this season and Parker has a big season, Parker isn't getting franchised.

Carolina Steelers
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I say the chances are slim but if Mendenhall doesn't develop and Willie has an excellent yr. i could see it happening. 2 yrs ago Willie led the AFC in rushing I think only behind A. Peterson and Willie missed the last 2 gms also. but only 2 TD'S

steelreserve
05-10-2009, 01:55 PM
The odds of Parker being franchised are zero.

Which is hopefully the same as the odds that he'll be back on the team at all.

devilsdancefloor
05-10-2009, 01:59 PM
i doubt we franchise willie. Either he signs for hometown discount or i am afrraid he is gone to many contracts up next year we cant keep them all. Plus we are DEEP at RB. Buti think he takes the discount to retire a steeler he learned from the best!

lilyoder6
05-10-2009, 02:06 PM
there are too many possibilities as of right now to determine what the steelers will do with willie.....

but with all considering.. i will lean towards him not getting a big payday from the steelers

BlastFurnace
05-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Excellent post. I wish more people would put aside their dislike for Starks and realize this. Starks played very well last year. Had we not franchised him, he would have left for bigger dollars elsewhere and someone would have given it to him.

Starks is a solid lineman. Yes, the Steelers backed themselves into a corner with him...but that doesn't mean that Max hasn't been a good part of our team. The fact that he is a big hit against the cap is the Steelers problem...not Max's.

If Max leaves....and we don't have a viable option for his replacement...those who criticize him will be the same one's who miss him.

LVSteelersfan
05-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Willie Parker is not an every down back. Period. He will stay if he takes a home town discount. And maybe not even then. Why in the heck would the front office pay a back who can't catch, blocks poorly, gets pulled down behind the line on a consistent basis, etc. the money a franchise tag would cost? We better hope to God Rashard Mendenhall is really a first down franchise back though our we could be in trouble over the next few years. I for one think Mendenhall was worth the gamble but only time will tell.

theplatypus
As others have said if Mendehall pans out(and to some extent Summers) then 2009 will be FWP's last season in black and gold.

bigjamesharrison2
I would like to see Willie resigned, but I think that the chances of him being Franchised are slim to none. Only if he has a season like some that he's had in previous years and mendenhall turns out to be a bust can I see him getting franchised. However, I will say that our running game is looking up this year.

The Definiti0n
05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Pro bowls mean nothing? lol I thought it meant fans and coaches feel you are one of the best at your position.

Steeldude
05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Pro bowls mean nothing? lol I thought it meant fans and coaches feel you are one of the best at your position.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

the pro bowl means nothing nowadays. players get in based on popularity, veteran status etc...

why are you comparing a LT to a RB? RB position is deep and the LT tackle is shallow.

porter went to pro bowls, did the steelers tag him? no.

can you possibly make a logical statement as to why the steelers would even think of franchising parker?

srk173
05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Jeff Reed is why they wont

Preacher
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
X-term said it best.

i like the kid, well, guy. I think he is a good player and has done very good things for us. But with Mendy waiting in the wings along with MeMo and now the Tank... we will have to see either 1. Another season ending injury to Mendy, or a VERY bad season. 2. MeMo to take a header.

Steelers don't keep the players when they hit thirty unless they show signs of still improving, like Harrison, or still going strong like Farrior.

He definitely doesn't get tagged IMO. However, I could see him taking a bit of a cut and staying.

Psyychoward86
05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont know why eveyrone thinks Frank Summers, Memo, and Mendy are our running backs for the future. Mewelde and Mendenhall I agree will be here for a great extent and do well, but i really dont see why some are in panic about our depth in the backfield. Am the only one here who thinks Summers is was brought in here to be mostly an FB, not a RB? Sure he had a good number of carries:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156221

But i think the FO misses the days of Dan Kreider, and i think a lot of us do too. Why cant we all embrace Willie parker as one of our top backs, if not the best, and Frank Summers as a fullback. We havent had one of those in a while!

Preacher
05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I dont know why eveyrone thinks Frank Summers, Memo, and Mendy are our running backs for the future. Mewelde and Mendenhall I agree will be here for a great extent and do well, but i really dont see why some are in panic about our depth in the backfield. Am the only one here who thinks Summers is was brought in here to be mostly an FB, not a RB? Sure he had a good number of carries:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156221

But i think the FO misses the days of Dan Kreider, and i think a lot of us do too. Why cant we all embrace Willie parker as one of our top backs, if not the best, and Frank Summers as a fullback. We havent had one of those in a while!

The problem is the cap number, to be honest. Basically, we have too many people to sign, and too few dollars to go around. So you cut where you have the most depth. We are deeper at RB then anywhere else on this team at this point. So we let Willie go in order to keep Heath Miller, and hopefully spread his salary out enough to satisfy Hampton, Heath, and Clark, not to mention having to find money for Reid, Townsend and Keisel (who may also be cut since we got Ziggy now).

devilsdancefloor
05-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Actually it is a popularity contest anymore and if the fans voted for much the starting NFC team this year would have been redskins. i thkn it would be more of a honor IF the coaches only voted you in. If it really meant something anymore the starting defense for teh AFC would have been 11 steelers IMO. but anyway it was put best "id rather have super bowl players , rather than pro bowl players".