PDA

View Full Version : RAID comp. question.

Preacher
05-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Alright. I bought two velocitiraptors at 10,000 RPM. Now I am confronted with another question.

1. Do I set them up as a RAID 0 for the excess speed? I do some video rendering that would be very helpful here. Also, it would greatly speed up my searches for my bible software. However, a single failure destroys the data on both disks. That means I am going to have to set up an external hardrive (which I have) to back it up.

2. do I set them up as a RAID 1? It virtually ELIMINATES fatal errors on the hardrive by having a mirror. However, while it does increase speed, it is only on the read. I also don't know by how MUCH a RAID 1 will increase the speed.

3. Can I set up a RAID 10 with two external hardrives (via USB) as the mirrored drives and the internal velocitiraptors as the striped drive?

Questions Questions. Anyone want to answer??

SteelersinCA
05-11-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure about the RAID with external hard drives, from what i know about RAID is it is best to have all drives be the exact same.

As for the increase in speed...I think if your external can back up both on the Raid 0 set up go for it, I don't know if it can. I didn't go with Raid because I hear the benefit in terms of speed is negligible and everything I need backed up I back up online. Raid just didn't make much sense for my usage.

Preacher
05-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure about the RAID with external hard drives, from what i know about RAID is it is best to have all drives be the exact same.

As for the increase in speed...I think if your external can back up both on the Raid 0 set up go for it, I don't know if it can. I didn't go with Raid because I hear the benefit in terms of speed is negligible and everything I need backed up I back up online. Raid just didn't make much sense for my usage.

RAID 1 sequential read numbers are off the charts compared to a single drive because you are virtually doubling the information you are putting into the CPU, since you are reading information off of both drives at the same time.

Same thing goes for writing. The problem however, is that if you lose one drive, you have lost ALL your info. Since we are dealing with two hardrives here, the potential for catastrophic loss is doubled, hence, why I am wondering about a RAID 0 on a USB drive setup.

However, you bring up a good point. I wonder if i could setup a USB drive to simply mirror the other drives? Use it as an instantaneous backup? I know in reality, it really is what the RAID 1 is for, but this way, I only use one backup drive. Hmmmm.

Hammer67
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
RAID 1 sequential read numbers are off the charts compared to a single drive because you are virtually doubling the information you are putting into the CPU, since you are reading information off of both drives at the same time.

Same thing goes for writing. The problem however, is that if you lose one drive, you have lost ALL your info. Since we are dealing with two hardrives here, the potential for catastrophic loss is doubled, hence, why I am wondering about a RAID 0 on a USB drive setup.

However, you bring up a good point. I wonder if i could setup a USB drive to simply mirror the other drives? Use it as an instantaneous backup? I know in reality, it really is what the RAID 1 is for, but this way, I only use one backup drive. Hmmmm.

Personally, I don't look at RAID as a good backup solution. If you maintain a decent backup solution, RAID becomes unnecessary in the home environment. I look at RAID as a way to keep constantly running servers with little or no down time. If you can deal with an outage, running a good backup utility is the safest practice as RAID doesn't protect you from software issues, human error and viruses, etc.

Stripe those bad boys and get a decent automated backup program that will dump important files on a third (possibly external) drive as backup.

steelreserve
05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd just set them up for whatever's fastest. Maybe I'm just really lucky, but in 20+ years of having computers, I've never "lost" a hard drive, not to mention the Velociraptor seems to be pretty highly regarded. So data loss would not be very high on my list of concerns with that. Just back up everything important periodically and you ought to be fine.