PDA

View Full Version : Brett Keisel

Galax Steeler
05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
The Steelers are expected to allow DE Brett Keisel to play out his contract this season.
Pittsburgh is up against the cap and can't re-sign all of the veterans due to hit free agency after the season. Nobody drafts and plugs better than the Steelers, so Ziggy Hood may well take Keisel's starting spot in 2010.
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

tony hipchest
05-11-2009, 06:54 PM
im not sure if any 3-4 DE drops into coverage to defend the curl route as well as brett.

he definitely gives lebeau some flexibility with his exotic schemes.

with that being said, keisel has won his rings. what he has yet to do with his career is cash in on millions.

we missed a. smith bigtime w/ injury in 07. we didnt mis a beat when keisel was injured in 08. :noidea:

if its between him and heath, we gotta keep heath.

Psyychoward86
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
im not sure if any 3-4 DE drops into coverage to defend the curl route as well as brett.

he definitely gives lebeau some flexibility with his exotic schemes.

I had no idea he could do that :nervous:. But yeah, the Heath thing is a no brainer. Still, never kills to have some good DE's on this roster. I think Kirshke retires after this season, and i dont like too much of what i see out of Eason, but he's got a good work ethic, so we'll see. Id like Brett to come back.

Cmdurand21
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Brett "The Diesel" Keisel is just a role player in my opinion. I think he will take a paycut to stay with the Steelers. Hampton might walk though, it has been reported that he wants to finish his career in Texas (where he player college ball). But I hope we keep both and let Parker walk.

Hapa
05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I would much rather have Hampton than Keisel... Hampton is a monster.

pancake
05-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I would much rather have Hampton than Keisel... Hampton is a monster.

Hampton is so important to the defense. He keeps our middle LBers clean. I like Brett, but big snack is more important.

KeiselPower99
05-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Keisel will be back. Hood will be in the rotation until his 3rd year.

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
keisel = foote +1....... it would be nice to keep him around, but i think someone else will trump any offer the steelers make ...if they make one at all. wouldn't suprise me to see him in GB or denver.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2009, 10:32 PM
The wildcard in all of this is Sonny Harris. If Keisel leaves after this season, then 2010 the DE's could be Smith, Hood, Eason, Harris. Then in 2011, the 3rd year guy in Harris could start at DE opposite Hood.

That is good planning by the front office if they can in fact develop Harris like fellow late round picks Smith and Keisel.

Psyychoward86
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
The wildcard in all of this is Sonny Harris. If Keisel leaves after this season, then 2010 the DE's could be Smith, Hood, Eason, Harris. Then in 2011, the 3rd year guy in Harris could start at DE opposite Hood.

That is good planning by the front office if they can in fact develop Harris like fellow late round picks Smith and Keisel.

That would be nice. Thanks for bringing up a scenario that most never thought of.

Steely McSmash
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM

It would be great to work out that way. Probably not so likely givens the Steeler's track record for DE guys though lately. IF he does work out, Harris might be at NT from what the coaches were saying.

The Duke
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM

and mcbean. at least for josh mcdaniels' team :flap:

7willBheaven
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
The Steelers are expected to allow DE Brett Keisel to play out his contract this season.
Pittsburgh is up against the cap and can't re-sign all of the veterans due to hit free agency after the season. Nobody drafts and plugs better than the Steelers, so Ziggy Hood may well take Keisel's starting spot in 2010.
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

This doesnt mean anything...all it means is that they may not try to extend him this year since they are soo close to the cap. Unless theres some restructuring with some players i doubt anyone else but MAYBE Heath is extended before the season. They could still sign Keisel after the season....

Steelman16
05-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I wonder if Keisel would take less money to stay with the team? Afterall, he's good buds with Big Ben and his Giant Wad of Dough. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
05-12-2009, 03:25 AM
I wonder if Keisel would take less money to stay with the team? Afterall, he's good buds with Big Ben and his Giant Wad of Dough. :chuckle:

That would be very nice but in this day and time it is about money most of the time.

Preacher
05-12-2009, 04:09 AM
This doesnt mean anything...all it means is that they may not try to extend him this year since they are soo close to the cap. Unless theres some restructuring with some players i doubt anyone else but MAYBE Heath is extended before the season. They could still sign Keisel after the season....

I was wondering about Heath's contract, and extending his money out further. BUt his original contract was 6 mill 5 years basically. So even at a SEVERELY backloaded contract, he makes 2 or 2.5 mill this year. More then likely, he makes a mill, mill and a half. Any signing of Heath this year will probably mean either a cut somewhere else, or more renegotiations.

I wonder if next year, The team and Troy will renogiate to get some cap hit spread out.. as he probably be a 4-6 mill hit against the cap. Though in this day and age, that isn't bad at all.

Steeldude
05-12-2009, 05:09 AM
I wonder if next year, The team and Troy will renogiate to get some cap hit spread out.. as he probably be a 4-6 mill hit against the cap

isn't 2010 uncapped?

mulldog24
05-12-2009, 06:36 AM

Thats great thinking Gonzo Ithink we should put you in the front office!!!!!!:tt02::thumbsup::tt:

GBMelBlount
05-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Hampton is so important to the defense. He keeps our middle LBers clean. I like Brett, but big snack is more important.

Hampton is good but I'm not sure we've ever seen a big drop off in defensive line play when he was out......

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
It would be great to work out that way. Probably not so likely givens the Steeler's track record for DE guys though lately. IF he does work out, Harris might be at NT from what the coaches were saying.

John Mitchell said RaShon Harris has the ability to play NT, so I think he has the possibility of beating out Hoke for a roster spot in a couple seasons. Harris is 6'4" 298lbs with long arms, so I think he projects out as a DE primarily, but could play NT in a pinch.......like Nick Eason does.

Ra'Shon Harris, DT- Tall with good build and length inside. ... Fair straight-ahead speed when closing on the ball. ... Stands up his man and falls off to wrap up backs coming through the hole. ... Anchors well to hold up double-team blocks. ... Gets great push to collapse the pocket in passing situations, keeps his arms extended and legs churning. ... Threat to impact passing lanes and block field goals using his push, height and length. ... Big in the weight room. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ra'shon-harris?id=79567#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Rashon Harris could be more of a Brett Keisel guy that works out for us, instead of a Shawn Nua or Ryan McBean.

steelreserve
05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
with that being said, keisel has won his rings. what he has yet to do with his career is cash in on millions.

Uhh ... he makes $5 million a year. http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/ That seems pretty good for a player of his caliber. He's definitely cashing in.

Having said that, I agree we seem to do about the same with or without him. I could easily see him going the way of Kemo von Oelhoeffen ... a good but not dominant guy who we didn't want to pay $5 million at his age.

Seems like given the choice between Kiesel and Hampton with the same pool of money to work with -- and a DE of the future on the roster but no NT of the future -- our priority would be to keep Casey around for a couple more years. Although we're still going to have to keep replenishing the line there no matter what we do.

Edman
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
We lost Kiesel for extended periods of time last year with little dropoff...from Travis Kirschke. It's Aaron Smith we can't afford to lose or have a hard time replacing.

tony hipchest
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Uhh ... he makes $5 million a year. http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/ That seems pretty good for a player of his caliber. He's definitely cashing in.

.his cap hit is $5 mil. brett signed a 4 year/$13 mil deal in 06. that is chump change by todays standards. just look at the deal the cheifs #3 pick will be getting to play the same position.

his signing bonus alone will double keisels entire contract. 3-4 de's are in hot demand right now, especially one who played in 2 sb's with the leagues #1 defense.

KeiselPower99
05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
He could sign with a 4-3 team and be a top 10 pass rusher.

steelreserve
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
his cap hit is $5 mil. brett signed a 4 year/$13 mil deal in 06. that is chump change by todays standards. just look at the deal the cheifs #3 pick will be getting to play the same position.

his signing bonus alone will double keisels entire contract. 3-4 de's are in hot demand right now, especially one who played in 2 sb's with the leagues #1 defense.

I don't really distinguish between cap hit and what the "real" base salary for a year is ... All of the $5 million IS legitimately money we're paying him or have paid him already. It's not like he's losing out on any of that money, although it looks like his contract was pretty backloaded.

Which makes sense because when he signed it, we weren't sure Kiesel would make it as an every-down starter. Fail after a year, you only get the journeyman salary. Do well for four years, and you get to play out the whole contract and collect a nice built-in raise at the end. Makes sense to me. I don't think he was getting shortchanged.

But back to the main point, I think you're right that he's proven he's dependable and he'll be in demand, so he's due for another raise on top of this, which I don't think we'll be able to Tetris into the salary cap. We've got higher priorities, he's getting old, and we've already got his replacement.