PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers don't have a chance.

Ambridge
01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
The last three days all I've been hearing on all the sports shows I've seen or listened too is that no one is giving the Steelers a chance to win this game.
The biggest bone of credit the talking heads are throwing to the Steelers is that they are playing better football since the first meeting with Indy and at best they might be able to make it a slightly more competitive game.

Here are some of the main reasons the Steeler wont win.
The Colts are more rested.
The Colts are too talented.
The Colts are too high powered.
The Colts will be playing in their dome.
The Colts will be playing with more emotion.
The Colts will win for Tony Dungy.
The Colts love their coach.
The Colts have come too far this season.
.........along with several other reasons.

It's almost too the point I'd be willing to stomach another AFCC Game loss just to send the Colts packing on Sunday and listen to all the prognosticators of doom and gloom eat their words.

3 to be 4
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
hey, nothing new to Patriot fans. Every year the Colts are "invincible". Just laugh and say "oh my! How could we even hope to compete with such an invincible team" If said with the right amount of sarcasm it actually makes you feel better.
Go Steelers!!!

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
i would much rather lose another afcc game than lose this weekend. john riggins gives them a chance on sirius radio. he even thinks ben is ready to assume more of a role. i have been hearing alot of good things about him and how much he has improved, infact i heard he said last week that once they become a more balanced offence he thinks he and the weapons they got will be deadly. i like this talk coming from ben. the steelers have never flown under the radar and been given no shot. i like it and i bet the team is thriving on it. in 2001 and 2004 they were thinking what the superbowl was gonna be like. now theyre just thinking of what the colts will be like. they are trated like the upstart chargers or jets were last season yet they are far superior. i like this, and i bet the team relishes it.

DIESELMAN
01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog........

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
hey, nothing new to Patriot fans. Every year the Colts are "invincible". Just laugh and say "oh my! How could we even hope to compete with such an invincible team" If said with the right amount of sarcasm it actually makes you feel better.
Go Steelers!!!

actually every year it is the pats who are invinceable. sure alot of people picked the colts to beat em last year but they were on a roll and manning was making history. who did just about everybody pick to win the superbowl last year and this year? the patriots.

SteelerzGirl
01-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Pffft... I don't care what the prognosticators say cuz I believe! :bouncy:

Livinginthe past
01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
None of this will make any difference when they teams take the field - when the time for talking is done and the time for action begins - we will see what these teams are made of.

NM

Sharkissle29
01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Go Steelers!!!
well if you've watched any sport show this week, its been everyone taking the patriots over denver.

but enough talk on the patriots. i agree, i have yet to see ONE person take the steelers in an upset. god we are HUGE underdogs, but i love it. no ones giving us a chance.....

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
well if you've watched any sport show this week, its been everyone taking the patriots over denver.

i think most patfans sing the company line that they are the most disrespected team in history. a caller to the sirius radio show with chris carter yesterday was whining because bruschi had to share the comeback player award with steve smith and that bruschi had the "bigger injury" therefore deserved the award more. the hosts had to tell him if it was so bad how come he was able to return so quick and he wasnt exactly having a potential mvp season like smith had. the caller was still whining after that although he eventually conceded to the "experts" opinion.

Livinginthe past
01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Hmm I wonder where this thread is headed...yet again.....

SteelerDan43
01-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I hear alot of this they will win for Coach Dungy but what about Winning one for The Bus!!! Aparently that doesnt matter like it didnt matter to much when he played most likely his last home game... All they wanted to talk about Brett Farve and Vermil

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Have the Steelers ever been given less of a chance in a playoff game?

For those of us who have been following the Steelers since the 1970s, only other games I can recall (could not google the pointspreads for the games) where the Steelers might have been seen as so outgunned were L.A. Raiders in playoffs after 1983 regualr season and Miami in AFC championship after 1984 season.

Steelers got stomped in both games, but the big difference is that we now have a game changer at QB, rather than Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone.

Indy looks loaded, but their playoff history makes it hard to see a Steeler win as bordering on the impossible.

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Hmm I wonder where this thread is headed...yet again.....

:blah: will someone please just make this guy a moderator already that way we can talk about what is really important? patriot football. maybe we can change the header to patriotsfever and ban anyone who speaks out against them?:cool:

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Have the Steelers ever been given less of a chance in a playoff game?

For those of us who have been following the Steelers since the 1970s, only other games I can recall (could not google the pointspreads for the games) where the Steelers might have been seen as so outgunned were L.A. Raiders in playoffs after 1983 regualr season and Miami in AFC championship after 1984 season.

Steelers got stomped in both games, but the big difference is that we now have a game changer at QB, rather than Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone.

Indy looks loaded, but their playoff history makes it hard to see a Steeler win as bordering on the impossible.

how come the steelerfans arent just calling peyton a choker and be done with it??? is he really that good. id say so.

but i dont think anyone other than steelerfans will call ben a game changer yet. theyre all still waiting for that sophmore slump (although john riggins said today that hes ready to take over and start changing games and he thinks this is the game to do it while the colts are gearing up to stop the run. nice to see someone in the media has faith even if it is riggens)

Suitanim
01-11-2006, 07:27 PM
It's almost too the point I'd be willing to stomach another AFCC Game loss just to send the Colts packing on Sunday and listen to all the prognosticators of doom and gloom eat their words.

Heresy! If we knock off the Colts, on to fame and glory and fortune as Super Bowl XL winners!

Livinginthe past
01-11-2006, 07:29 PM
:blah: will someone please just make this guy a moderator already that way we can talk about what is really important? patriot football. maybe we can change the header to patriotsfever and ban anyone who speaks out against them?:cool:

Just calling it as I see it - plenty of Steeler fans would like to read a thread without having your mad rantings on a certain team plastered all over it.

Its not just me saying it Tony - its a tiresome habit you have and its getting worse the nearer we get to the SB.

NM

LambertIsGod58
01-11-2006, 07:35 PM
With all the time off comes some rust they will have to work through. Steelers have a chance. I'm tired of hearing it to. The Steelers need to stop the deep ball to win I think. And they need to win the turnover battle.

3 to be 4
01-11-2006, 07:52 PM
actually every year it is the pats who are invinceable. sure alot of people picked the colts to beat em last year but they were on a roll and manning was making history. who did just about everybody pick to win the superbowl last year and this year? the patriots.

actually, before the AFC title game in 2003, the Colts, coming off a thrashing of the Broncos and Chiefs, were deemed "unstoppable" by almost every expert before the Patriots pounded them. Then last year, again, after the Colts thrashed the Broncos, everybody picked the "invincible" Colts. Once again, this year, i keep hearing how the Colts are "obviously" better than everybody.

the point being.......in fact, while this talk was, and is, nonsense, the Patriots being the favorite to win the SB last year, was not, and them being the pick before this year, was not. the Patriots have the creds, the Colts do not.

And I am, in fact, saying to Steeler fans that the Steelers are in a similar position now. Getting no respect, when in fact its the Steelers who were a bigger challenge to the Patriots last year, and at this point this season as well.

Hammer67
01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
It's kind of nice and different being the underdog this time...I think they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder...

clevestinks
01-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow will they all be surprised when we win, by 6

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2006, 08:22 PM
“This team is an unbelievable football team,” Roethlisberger said of the Colts, who won their first 13 games before dropping two of their final three. “They’re as good as it gets in the NFL. It’s going to take our A-plus game to go out and beat their B-minus game.”

It appears the official party line is "woe is us." I'll know it is a plot when I hear Joey Porter start poor mouthing our chances.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2006, 08:33 PM
"I don't think anybody is picking us to win," Roethlisberger said. "Obviously, they're the best football team in the NFL and we're just the Pittsburgh Steelers. We're going to go in and obviously try to find a way to just put a few points on the board and compete."

I like the mindset reflected from the quotes in this article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2005/01/11/bc.fbn.bigben.sadmissio.ap/index.html

Sharkissle29
01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
are the quotes above, roethlisberger and the steelers being confident.....or not very confident. you can look at it 2 ways. roethlisberger might just be setting up an assault, or he just doesnt think the steelers have what it takes to beat them.

im not sure if the steelers are confident or not.....

Sharkissle29
01-11-2006, 08:39 PM
i just read atlanta dans article....i retort my statement....

Right guard Kendall Simmons said, "When you're on top everybody is gunning for you, we found that out last year. Now we're fighting our way back into the top level. That takes all the focus off us. Nobody is giving us a chance, and I know we're going to take advantage of it."

VegasStlrFan
01-11-2006, 08:42 PM
If you listen to the talking heads we shouldn't play this week, just give the Colts a pass to the SB. I'm not buying the hype on the Colts, I think they peaked to soon. They were playing their best at the Mid point of the season. They beat the Jags, Browns, Titans, 49ers, Rams, & Texans to start the season. Other than the Jags not exactly the A teams of the NFL and their offense struggled most of the way. They had a great Middle beating the Pats, Texans, Bengals, Steelers, Titans & Jags. Obviously 4 of those 6 are tops of the NFL. The last 3 games they started to go downhill loosing to the Chargers, Seahawks, and beating the Cardinals by having the replay booth overturn a goaline touchdown at the bell. I know; they didn't play anyone, the chargers and seahawks are quality opponents, and those games didn't matter, Blah, Blah, Blah. That 4 game stretch in the middle was where they blew their wad. I think they come out rusty from the weekoff and they never get to the same form as Mid season.

The Steelers need to come in with a chip on their shoulder, 9.5 pt dogs after the Colt's showing the last 3 games is an insult.

Suitanim
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
It's interesting to note that the Colts MB's are already discussing the "imminent" rematch between them and the Pats in the AFCCG. I wonder if the players feel the same way.

I think the Bengals fans on here were a fairly accurate barometer of how the Bengals players felt after they beat us in Pittsburgh. They bought into their own bullshit and had a bit of a 4 week hangover...

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
And I am, in fact, saying to Steeler fans that the Steelers are in a similar position now. Getting no respect, when in fact its the Steelers who were a bigger challenge to the Patriots last year, and at this point this season as well.

nowhere at any point in nfl history can i remember 'respect" being as big of a factor as it is with todays patriots and its fans. i dont think the steelers or their fans really care too much about it or need to use the lack of it as motivation to win a game.

maybe its because the steelers didnt win crap for its 1st 40 years in the league and then, within a period of 6 years became one of the most respected and admired franchises around. i can see the lack of respect being talked about amongst the players in the locker room, but i dont see any advantage it gives the teams to make a media circus about it or the fans making a big deal about it cause all that extracurricial stuff really has no bearing on the game to be played.

really it all depends on the psyche of the players and the coach being in tune with that. a good/great coach will know what buttons need to be pushed for extra motivation. if cowher decides that the lack of respect card is the one he needs to play and it works then i am all for it. however i dont think he will. maybe this is one of his downfalls. maybe not. whatever he says to motivate his team this sunday may never be known to the public. hell, maybe he tells the steelers that the colts think the angel of james dungy is gonna win this game for them ant to not go out and be beaten by a ghost. could that motivate a team? sure? is it a tactic i, or cowher would use? no.

Brady12
01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
To say your team does not have a chance, is wrong. If you are a true fan, you believe your team can win any week, despite the circumstances, despite the records. Although Indy is yet to play a game this season, the Steelers are so far undefeated at 1-0. First look at the Colts this weekend, for the 2006 season.

Stlrs4Life
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
actually, before the AFC title game in 2003, the Colts, coming off a thrashing of the Broncos and Chiefs, were deemed "unstoppable" by almost every expert before the Patriots pounded them. Then last year, again, after the Colts thrashed the Broncos, everybody picked the "invincible" Colts. Once again, this year, i keep hearing how the Colts are "obviously" better than everybody.

the point being.......in fact, while this talk was, and is, nonsense, the Patriots being the favorite to win the SB last year, was not, and them being the pick before this year, was not. the Patriots have the creds, the Colts do not.

So true.

Not worried, I like it this way. Wanted it this way last week also.

stand undefeated
01-11-2006, 10:49 PM
I'd think i'd rather lose now, than lose to NE in the AFCC game AGAIN!!!!!!!!!11

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Thats all I hear on ESPN radio too, and online in every sports site I check out.. the Colts killed us the first time, they dominated us, we couldnt do anything, peyton will have another field day :blah: :chair:

News Flash.. the colts won and yes our offense was non exisitant..but our Defense held manning and company to only 2 TD's, we frustrated him and his WR's in the 2nd half. We can do this, I know we can !

tony hipchest
01-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I'd think i'd rather lose now, than lose to NE in the AFCC game AGAIN!!!!!!!!!11

for pride, yes i can see what youre saying. for the experience ben can gain i say hes better off to beat the colts and advance to his 2nd afc champ game in his 1st 2 seasons. the more playoff experience he gets, the better.

plus thats 1 less week i have to watch crappy teams in the playoffs :)

augustashark
01-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Love being underdogs!

He have a chance, everyone on this board knows that. We just need to play a very good game!

Prosdo
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Could care less what all the media is saying. I believe our guys are going to come out with fire.

PatsRule
01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
You guys must get pressure on jug head,you got to beat them up attack the wideouts smack them after the catch then short screens run the bus and once in a while stretch the field with some long bombs..We want the Steelers at Foxboro.. Cowher needs to win this game or his legacy of not being able to win the big game will haunt him...

MichiSteeler
01-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Maybe this will work to our advantage. With us being the lowest seed and them the top, we'll come out guns blazing and catch them off-guard. I think they under-estimate us. But we believe!

SteelCityPride
01-12-2006, 03:55 PM
The steelers play a nickel defense with 2 down lineman, they take Hamp out. When they see a big passing threat they typically switch to this type of offense. I don't believe this will work well against Indy unless Indy is playing us like they did last game, we need to keep them guessing with our fronts, they played a strong offensive set keeping their tightends in and their running back in. If they do this then we probably wont get pressure even rushing 5 or 6 guys so in this situation, if they are committed to keeping those ugys in and we play the nickel we must press the receivers knowing we have help over top, this giving our 3 guys rushing a little time to make some magic happen, atleast enought o make Peyton move. I think once they begin to see this defense they will start releasing their tight ends at which time we can bring the heat and get Mannging ratttled.

One Option we have is to play a three man line, at times without Hamp, and moving an outside backer up to the line to keep Manning guessing then we have the dynamic defense to either play the nickel pressing the wide receivers or we can play the standard 3-4 and blitz like crazy.

I don't know, I think our defensive strategy is kinda up in the air right now and our biggest thing is that we need to keep manning guessing and get him flustered.