PDA

View Full Version : A breakdown of the 9 RB on our roster

truesteelerfan
05-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Good article, not a bad problem to have!

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/386538-pittsburgh-steelers-positional-breakdown-the-running-backs

:tt:

KeiselPower99
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Is it to early to want a Summers jersey?

Mizark70
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I hope Rashard comes around this year and becomes a big threat

Psyychoward86
05-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Not a bad analysis at all. And hopefully the summer will conclude without the presence of a guy who's name starts with Carey and ends with Davis.

lilyoder6
05-13-2009, 01:16 AM
nice lil break down of all of the backs..

and u can see the writings of the wall for some.. well hopefully

The Duke
05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Is it to early to want a Summers jersey?

lol, way too early. even if he makes the roster it's too early to get the jersey of a 5th round pick

but that's just me....

sherlock
05-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Good article, not a bad problem to have!

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/386538-pittsburgh-steelers-positional-breakdown-the-running-backs

:tt:

Thanks for posting this....yet another NFL site going in my favourites list ! :hatsoff:

Galax Steeler
05-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Good read hopefully our group of running backs will be one of the best this year. We have the talent I just hope they can perform.

The Duke
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I had really forgotten about Logan though

if he makes the team we'll know he's really good, having beaten out so many other versatile players

still rooting for wallace though. saves a roster spot

Steely McSmash
05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Not a bad analysis at all. And hopefully the summer will conclude without the presence of a guy who's name starts with Carey and ends with Davis.

odds are against it I'd say.

the coaches view tank as a HB first who can fill in at FB.

I think the team will have 4 HB 1 FB and 3 TE on the 53 man roster

The best case to get rid of Davis in my opinion is for Logan to make some noise as a returner so he can be on the roster as a RB and then Summers would be listed as a FB.

the other option would be to list McHugh as FB primarily and carry a different third TE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
odds are against it I'd say.

the coaches view tank as a HB first who can fill in at FB.

I think the team will have 4 HB 1 FB and 3 TE on the 53 man roster

I am still pimping Ryan Powdrell to supplant Carey Davis at FB. :tt03:

LVSteelersfan
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope to God the coaching staff doesn't still think Carey Davis is actually worth keeping. Everyone outside the organization can't stand him from what I have seen. PLEASE get rid of him. We don't need a fullback who can't block and gets knocked down 9 times out of 10 behind the line of scrimmage.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Not a bad position to be in. Willie is in a contract year and he is going to play his heart out which is never bad for the team! This is going to project year for the running game.

First, we have to see if Mendy is worth his first round Value. If he is it might be the end of Parker being a number 1 starter. He will slowly work his way into his starting role.

Second, We got Moore for 2 more year correct? I don't think he is going to surpass anyone and will probably maintain as a solid back up.

Third, Frank the Tank. If this Kid can prove to be good enough to be called "The Tank" he will probably lock the short yardage position.

Heres a Possible scenerio brewing around my head right now:

Willie will leave after a stellar contract year to impress potential buyers. Mendenhall will (hopefully) earn a role as worthy starter in the NFL and become our # RB. Mwelde will be the quicker change of pace and Summers will be our hitter. I think in the future Mendy is going to get most of the carries and Mwelde and Summers will give him a breather. Depending how well Summers adjust to NFL speed and catching/blocking in the backfeild he could verywell be the Yin to Mendenhalls Yang.

pancake
05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing "the Tank" play in some preseason games. I think the next season he could be the #2 back.

Steely McSmash
05-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I hope to God the coaching staff doesn't still think Carey Davis is actually worth keeping. Everyone outside the organization can't stand him from what I have seen. PLEASE get rid of him. We don't need a fullback who can't block and gets knocked down 9 times out of 10 behind the line of scrimmage.

The question is who would replace him at FB??

Pimp away on Powdrell El-Gonzo but I wouldn't think a guy who's been on two different PS but never made a team is going to be much of an improvement. He does have more typical FB size vs Davis. We'll see what he's got I guess. Do you have some reason for high expectations beyond his college career?

It's not like we didn't have every opportunity during and after the draft to pick up a new FB. Only 3 were draffted so we could have gotten the 4th best FB in the 7th round instead of another TE. You'd think if the FO thought Davis was a disaster, they would have picked up somebody besides Powdrell.

Not sure what you're talking about 9 out of 10. You mean rushing? he averaged 2.9 yards/carry which is fairly lousy. Consider though that about half the runs were vs Baltimore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Carey Davis fan but I wouldn't say I can't stand him.

mmalone
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
FB - 38 Davis, Carey FB 5-10 225 3/27/81 4 Illinois

FB - 44 Summers, Frank RB 5-10 230 9/6/85 R UNLV

Frank in all the draft profiles was 243 and was in the list of Fullbacks available.

mmalone
05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
top 10 fullbacks

1. Quinn Johnson, LSU
2. Tony Fiammetta, Syracuse
3. Conredge Collins, Pittsburgh
4. Brannan Southerland, Georgia
5. Eric Kettani, Navy
6. Eddie Williams, Idaho
7. Chris Pressley, Wisconsin
8. Marcus Mailei, Weber State
9. Jason Cook, Mississippi
10. Brock Bolen, Louisville

top running backs
1. Chris "Beanie" Wells*, Ohio State
2. Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
3. Donald Brown*, Connecticut
4. LeSean McCoy*, Pittsburgh
5. Shonn Greene*, Iowa
6. Andre Brown, North Carolina State
7. Cedric Peerman, Virginia
8. Glen Coffee*, Alabama
9. Javon Ringer, Michigan State
10. Rashad Jennings, Liberty
11. Kory Sheets, Purdue
12. Jeremiah Johnson, Oregon
13. James Davis, Clemson
14. Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State
15. Mike Goodson, Texas A&M
16. Arian Foster, Tennessee
17. P.J. Hill*, Wisconsin
18. Javarris Williams, Tennessee State
19. Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian
20. Ian Johnson, Boise State

Why do you think the steelers picked Frank Summers?. they usually know something is special about a player. so, why jump up to the 5th round for him? probably to make sure they signed him. he wasnt on any of the top 20 lists. i think he is going to be our 245lb fullback...

Steely McSmash
05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/105084/

This is the article that I'm basing my opinions on. Interview with Running Backs Coach Kirby Wilson. My guess from this is that they would like to keep listing summers as a HB.

Is he strictly a running back?
He has the capability to do both. Thatís the unique thing about him that we liked. He has halfback qualities, but he has fullback size. There was some uniqueness there that was on obvious draw to us.

With Rashard (Mendenhall) back what is your situation at running back right now?
We are going to carry eight throughout the spring and throughout training camp. There will be six halfbacks and two fullbacks that are listed as fullbacks, but as we said earlier Frank has the capability to do both things.

Does that count Sean McHugh?
No, he is not included in that. Right now he is listed under the tight ends.

Can Frank move as a third tight end?

No. Heís strictly going to be a halfback/fullback combination.

Is that the Carey Davis role?

The way we see it Carey is a fullback only, but an emergency halfback. Frank is going to be a halfback that can play fullback for us.

Who is the other fullback you are counting?

Ryan Powdrell.

Steely McSmash
05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Why do you think the steelers picked Frank Summers?. they usually know something is special about a player. so, why jump up to the 5th round for him? probably to make sure they signed him. he wasnt on any of the top 20 lists. i think he is going to be our 245lb fullback...

He might be the FB That would be ok with me. My comments are just a guess based on my interpretation of one interview.

Since he's not on either list, it's kind of difficult to say which list the Steelers think he should be on other than looking at what they've said about him.

I think if he's not a FB he'd be a short yardage and goal line guy. Potentially useful as a pass catching and blocking backup to Moore.

I think his speed and lower level of competition served to keep him off those lists. He actually didn't even get invited to the combine. Hopefully that'll give him a chip on the shoulder to come out and prove himself.

The Definiti0n
05-15-2009, 06:32 AM
That article just shows we have alot of depth. And if Willie stays healthy and Mendy lives up to his potenial Frank the Tank may have the same fate as Noah Herron J.T. Wall, John Kuhn and Cedric Humes.