PDA

View Full Version : SI Power Rankings Have Steelers #2

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Peter King has the Steelers ranked #2 in post season power rankings. I quess ol' Pete wanted to beat everyone to the punch...and not wait for mundane, unimportant things like...oh, I dont know....injuries!!! .....rookie performance!!!!!....trades!!!!!

Can anyone guess who the knob-slobbers over at sports illustrated would rank #1?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/index.html

Steelerfreak58
05-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Because in the end its always about....

MARSHA MARSHA MARSHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

Steel Head
05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
who cares?

i dont think we were ranked #1 last year at all and we won the Super Bowl

scsteeler
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Peter King has the Steelers ranked #2 in post season power rankings. I quess ol' Pete wanted to beat everyone to the punch...and not wait for mundane, unimportant things like...oh, I dont know....injuries!!! .....rookie performance!!!!!....trades!!!!!

Can anyone guess who the knob-slobbers over at sports illustrated would rank #1?

Before I even look they have the Cheatriots ranked #1 or Manning and the Colts.

revefsreleets
05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Cool! I wish we were farther down the list, though.

Patriots #1...when will these guys ever learn?

fansince'76
05-13-2009, 09:35 AM
A predictable "ranking" considering the Brady/Pats/Manning/Colts dickrider who wrote it. The only real surprise to me was that he put the Colts at #5 instead of #2. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Right now we are 0-0 with our first game against the Titans. That's all the freaking matters at this point.

Smashing in the Face of the Titans on opening Night. That's it. The rest is fodder to sell magazines and look like you know what you're talking about.

Week 1, Crush Destroy Punish and Kill the Titans. After that, we'll see.

lilyoder6
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
it is what it is....
king will always slober over the pats.. even if they had all of there starters get hurt..

scsteeler
05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I will say that We are ranked a lot higher that I thought they would rank us.

Hey let themput the Cowgirls, Cheatriots, & Colts in the top spot.

BlastFurnace
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
He can rate us #32 as far as I am concerned. The games are won on the field.

steelreserve
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I bet Brady thinks his mustache feels kind of tickly down there.

tony hipchest
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
He can rate us #32 as far as I am concerned. The games are won on the field.nah, hes got the browns ranked #32. :laughing:

realdeal
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
He can rate us #32 as far as I am concerned. The games are won on the field.

EXACTLY!!! The Gaytriots are done!!

RoethlisBURGHer
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
This isn't major college football where rankings matter.

The only rankings I care about is where we are ranked by record in the division and the AFC.

triphahn
05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Right now we are 0-0 with our first game against the Titans. That's all the freaking matters at this point.

Smashing in the Face of the Titans on opening Night. That's it. The rest is fodder to sell magazines and look like you know what you're talking about.

Week 1, Crush Destroy Punish and Kill the Titans. After that, we'll see.

You said it. Right now everyone has the same record. That titans game is marked on the calender. I wanted to see them in the AFC championship last year.

stlrtruck
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
They can put us 32nd at the beginning of the year. All that matters is where we finish in February!

billybob
05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
We are the champions , We are the Champions , We are the champions ................ of the world . Until someone proves otherwise . To me , that makes us # 1 .

rbryan
05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
The reigning champs are #1 in the preseason AP unless the patiecakes didn't just win the SB.......Its a new rule......... they just passed it this year.

fansince'76
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
The reigning champs are #1 in the preseason AP unless the patiecakes didn't just win the SB.......Its a new rule......... they just passed it this year.

And as they didn't win the SB, they also get a few extra draft picks thrown in for good measure - also a new rule this year and only applicable to the Cheating Bastards.

pancake
05-13-2009, 02:11 PM

I am glad we were not #1. The team always seems to play better with a chip on their shoulder.

St33lersguy
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Power rankings mean nothing

steel striker
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned the only ranking that means anything is the super champion which is the steelers. We are never the pick by the media which is fine by me we like to play with a chip on our shoulder. Like last year there were always questions about the oline, Ben, Willie Hines, and Holmes but when it matter most we came through without question.

Psyychoward86
05-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Without looking. Pats.

billybob
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I have to agree , it doesn't amount to a " hill of beans" , who has us ranked where . We are the defending champs , and that is good enough for me . Until someone comes along and knocks us off the top of the heap , we are still # 1 . How can you argue with plain , hard cold facts ? Adversity is something Tomlin seems to thrive on . I think his belief , is do not take what others have to say about you , as to how you see yourselves .
All of his beliefs ( Tomlin's ) , seems to show not only himself , but his squad will be well prepared to take on the challenge that is up ahead . It makes no difference how others rank you're team at any time during the preseason , or the regular season for that matter .
I would love to hear what Tomlin has to say about power rankings . I would only expect something insightful coming from him .

Shoes
05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Brady's backside and Peter King are one and the same! You can throw Seth Wickersham in the same toilet bowl too.

Galax Steeler
05-14-2009, 03:55 AM
I kind of figured it would be the cheatriots but oh well let them bask in there glory they will come back to reality before long.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Who cares??

You cant put rankings in a trophy case.

The Duke
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I am glad we were not #1. The team always seems to play better with a chip on their shoulder.

You know, while I agree, this statement is really becoming old. EVERY team plays better with a chip on their shoulder. In fact, I don't believe teams need extra motivation to win a game, but that's just me....

Steelers should be 17th imo. their offseason has been too boring

SteelersMongol
05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Because in the end its always about....

MARSHA MARSHA MARSHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

:banging: Friggin' *ocksuckers. All they talk about is Marsha this, or Cheatriots that. Gotta kick em in the nuts. The Steelers R the BEST. :tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
:rofl:Browns at #32 they stink....

Hines0wnz
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Peter King is a tool anyway.

Texasteel
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Peter King is a tool anyway.

No he isn't, tools are useful.

mesaSteeler
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Why I don't look at rankings
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

I always find it amusing when fans start complaining about writers' rankings of NFL teams, particularly in the offseason. Last I checked, this isn't college football. The championship is played for on the football field, not in somebody's computer or on a ballot.

That said, I really find offseason rankings to be of no use.

I don't want to pick on Peter King of Sports Illustrated because he's a guy I know and respect, but his latest Monday Morning Quarterback includes a dreaded offseason rankings list.

That he has New England No. 1 and the Steelers No. 2 doesn't bother me. If somebody put a gun to my head and forced me to rank the teams, that's where I'd put them as well.

But Chicago at No. 4? Based on what? Don't give me this Jay Cutler stuff. He's going to have to prove to me that he's something more than a malcontent. And he's not going to be throwing to Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal this season. Instead, it will be Devin Hester and Rashied Davis.

There also may not be a more overrated player in the NFL than Brian Urlacher.

So no, I'm not buying into the hype surrounding the Bears just yet.

Last on King's list, by the way, are your Cleveland Browns. The Browns have begun their 14th rebuilding plan since rejoining the NFL in 1999.

Psyychoward86
05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
No he isn't, tools are useful.

Lmao...

tony hipchest
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
this should make everyone feel better...

im pretty sure pat kirwan was about the only analyst in the nation that gave the steelers a chance to finish last season at 12-4.

him and radio partner tim ryan both feel the patriosts have greatly improved and made great moves this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It's May, and nobody really knows which teams are the best and the worst, but that's what makes the NFL so intriguing when the real games finally start.

A team ranked in the bottom quarter of this list is sure to make the playoffs; conversely, a team perched up in the top quarter is sure to fall. The Dolphins and Falcons surprised everyone a year ago, and it's bound to happen again.

The quarterback position, as well as the defense, the division, and the number of play makers are all critical. Roster depth also plays an important role in ranking teams. Combine that information with a team's offseason free-agent acquisitions and losses, along with the projected success of the draft class, and maybe you can settle on ranking the teams in a reasonable order.

Pittsburgh Steelers

12-4, first in AFC North, won Super Bowl XLIII

The Super Bowl champions get Rashard Mendenhall back. Ben Roethlisberger is now a two-time Super Bowl winner. The Steelers also continue to build their roster depth by training their own young players. It will be hard to hold the top spot with Tom Brady back on the field in New England, but this Steelers franchise does not let success go to its head.

i think the suprising (and perhaps most prescient) call in these rankings is tampa bay at #29.