PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Steelers: Business As Usual

Phenomenal TJ
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/174670-...siness-as-usual (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/174670-the-2009-pittsburgh-steelers-business-as-usual)

With the coming of the 2009 NFL season, many teams are left quizzically staring at their playbooks, wondering just why things didnít work out as planned. Others are quietly revamping and shifting their depth charts around to make room for new additions.

Or, at least every team but the Pittsburgh Steelers is making those changes.

Thoughts? Anyone else see us passing more?

Psyychoward86
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
No mention of William Gay. Typical. He's going to surprise a lot of people.

Galax Steeler
05-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Why fix it when it ain't broken.

Kaeg
05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
No mention of William Gay. Typical. He's going to surprise a lot of people.

I'm a bit surprised at that.. It just seems to imply there is no other option past Deshea. Like Gay doesn't exist at all.

revefsreleets
05-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I see us running more. I think we will try to achieve a 50/50 run/pass ratio this year.

scsteeler
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I see us running more. I think we will try to achieve a 50/50 run/pass ratio this year.

Yes I think we will run the ball more. The article states that Parker has lost a step, maybe but I think after this upcoming year most will talk about the running game being back and Parker getting his swagger back.

Dino 6 Rings
05-14-2009, 12:30 PM
In this day and age you have to upgrade a little bit at some positions.

The Giants lost way more players than they gained this past season, with Strahan retiring and the injuries to their D Line then Plax, they couldn't repeat. It happens to most of the SB winners. They don't Improve their team, they try to stay the same and that Never Works in today's game.

The question is, have we improved upon our team from last year to be able to compete with New teams this year.

Last year's team is gone. We must now be improved over that.

Our offseason pickups do make it possible that we got better.

Our Return game should be better.

Our Passing game could actually be better without Nate and with Sweed, McDonald and Wallace.

Our Running game, short yardage should be more improved with real competition back there between Parker in a contract year, Moore trying to stay with a winning team, Mendenhall trying to prove his 1st round choice and now, The Tank. Not to mention Davis trying to stay on at Full back and McHugh stealing playing time at FB as well. our Running game should be better.

Our Oline needs to be better. We've drafted a monster from Wisconsin and that will put pressure on some of our guys to play better. We've cut some dead weight off the Oline and have made it clear that there will be competition for these guys, who will now be going into a 2nd season as a starting unit. Something that we haven't had in a while with the retirement, injury, and release of former Olinemen.

Defense. Foote is gone, now Timmons must prove he is better. Corner, McFadden left for hopes of a long term contract down the road for big money, Gay must step up and Townsend must find a fountain of youth. I'm not sure we are better at the Corner position. That worries me.

D Line. We've got some youth now to put in on 3rd down to just go after the QB. Hood will be a non stop QB hunter on 3rd down passing downs. Hampton needs to come to camp In Shape this year, no lolly gagging allowed by that guy. Not in a contract year. Safeties, we aren't Better there per say, but we are just as darn good and we cut that dead weight Anthony Smith (who I liked at first) so now our guys have to be able to play an entire season with the back up safeties able to step in if needed.

QB. He's better than ever. Another season, another SB Win and another goal, to be the SB MVP next season. I like his chances.

Coaches, we haven't upgraded any of our coaches, which could be ok, but also could be bad, if they personally don't grow into the new season, we will be predictable and not successful at the same things as last year.