PDA

View Full Version : What a superbowl victory would mean in 2010 to the Steelers

truesteelerfan
05-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a good problem to have, I know how everybody on this board feels bout the Patriots and the Cowboys....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/135856-what-a-super-bowl-victory-in-2009-would-mean-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers/poll_results#poll

I think this is a big year for us as our window is probably on the way down as opposed to a up and coming team. We do have great starters, but I think we can agree that depth at some positions isn't our strongest quality when looking to the future.

:popcorn:

KeiselPower99
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Our window is never closed. We do the best at finding guys to contribute.

truesteelerfan
05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Your absolutely right about that post...we do seem to always find ways to fill holes with young studs chomping at the bit to get their chance!

steelreserve
05-14-2009, 12:44 PM
If we're going to win another one, we'd better do it now. There are 3, maybe 4 years at most before age catches up to a lot of our key players. By 2013, I fully expect we'll see several guys either retired or severely diminished in ability:

Ward (age 37)
Farrior (age 38)
Harrison (age 35)
A. Smith (age 37)
Hampton (age 35)
Clark (age 34)
I. Taylor (age 33)
Polamalu (age 32)

You can't realistically expect anyone from the top group to still be playing at all, and in the bottom group it's pretty iffy. I didn't even include guys like Parker, Kiesel and Hartwig, who would be getting too old but we'll probably have replacements for.

You'll notice that almost all of those guys are on defense, so seems to me like our best hope to at least stay competitive after that is to reinvent ourselves as an offensive powerhouse while we still have Ben and a talented WR/TE/RB combo. Maybe we could steal one that way, but who knows.

Hammer67
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
If we're going to win another one, we'd better do it now. There are 3, maybe 4 years at most before age catches up to a lot of our key players. By 2013, I fully expect we'll see several guys either retired or severely diminished in ability:

Ward (age 37)
Farrior (age 38)
Harrison (age 35)
A. Smith (age 37)
Hampton (age 35)
Clark (age 34)
I. Taylor (age 33)
Polamalu (age 32)

You can't realistically expect anyone from the top group to still be playing at all, and in the bottom group it's pretty iffy. I didn't even include guys like Parker, Kiesel and Hartwig, who would be getting too old but we'll probably have replacements for.

You'll notice that almost all of those guys are on defense, so seems to me like our best hope to at least stay competitive after that is to reinvent ourselves as an offensive powerhouse while we still have Ben and a talented WR/TE/RB combo. Maybe we could steal one that way, but who knows.

Don't forget we have a draft every year to restock some of these positions. The only hope is that they acquire some people with enough talent to fill those shoes.

fansince'76
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
If we're going to win another one, we'd better do it now. There are 3, maybe 4 years at most before age catches up to a lot of our key players.

Not to mention who knows what the league will look like after 2010 with the impending lockout. I do know that I have little faith that either side in the negotiations will put aside their own greed and actually do what's good for the game.

StainlessStill
05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Even though I'm as diehard as it gets...I tell it like it is. I already predicted that we are going to repeat. Just look at our team.. inside and out. ALL OF THE PIECES ARE IN PLACE to not only do it this year, but remain in good tact to keep in contention 3, 4 years down the road.

It is a fantastic time to be a Steelers fan. (Always is, Always will be.)

tony hipchest
05-14-2009, 02:58 PM
If we're going to win another one, we'd better do it now. There are 3, maybe 4 years at most before age catches up to a lot of our key players. Ward (age 37)
Farrior (age 38)
Harrison (age 35)
A. Smith (age 37)
Hampton (age 35)
Clark (age 34)
I. Taylor (age 33)
Polamalu (age 32)

You can't realistically expect anyone from the top group to still be playing at all, but lets look at 2005 and who retired or was moved due to age-

bettis
kreider
hartings
faneca
porter
w. williams (nickel)
von oelhoffen
punter who never had a punt blocked

not to mention the loss of some younger guys-

randle el
wilson
hope
tuman

thats atleast 8 (1/3+) of our starting roster, and we still make it back in 3 seasons.

like it was said our window should never close (assuming we keep the rooneys and colbert/tomlin.

pancake
05-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Ward (age 37)
Farrior (age 38)
Harrison (age 35)
A. Smith (age 37)
Hampton (age 35)
Clark (age 34)
I. Taylor (age 33)
Polamalu (age 32)

Rooneys have doing this for a while and I'm sure their will be players come in to replace each of the above.

AllD
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
A Super Bowl victory in 2010 would mean another Dynasty in the City of Champions and Hall-of-Fame honors for BB and Ward if they contribute to the season and victory.

steelreserve
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
but lets look at 2005 and who retired or was moved due to age-

bettis
kreider
hartings
faneca
porter
w. williams (nickel)
von oelhoffen

randle el
wilson
hope
tuman

thats atleast 8 (1/3+) of our starting roster, and we still make it back in 3 seasons.

like it was said our window should never close (assuming we keep the rooneys and colbert/tomlin.

Right. And as someone else said, we have the draft to replenish. It's not a hopeless situation but I honestly think the losses in upcoming years are going to be more significant than in 2005 because it involves most of the stars on defense. We may already have a replacement for Taylor and one of the D-linemen, but we're going to have to look hard for the rest. A guy like Polamalu comes along once every 10 or 15 years, if that.

So while I totally agree that we ought to be strong contenders well into the next decade regardless, we'd better make sure we draft damn well if we want to sustain the level we're at now instead of just being really good. Because right now, I believe we've legitimately got a 50-50 chance of winning the Super Bowl in any given year, which is completely different from the position of other teams like the Colts, Giants or Chargers, who are just consistently "good."

scsteeler
05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree that we should repeat in 2010. As far as a drop off I am not too worried about this long term. Wwhile New England has been given credit for showing how to build through the draft the Steelers have been doing this all along.

Not only do the Steeler's build through the draft but they also develop their players to be what they need to be a top notch team each year and if you look at what has been done by the Steelers we always have star players in waiting.

Statik
05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
The Steelers are never on their way down. Perfect example, here's the years we were division champions: 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008. That doesn't count the wildcard appearances too. We're always contenders.

Statik
05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
^^^^^^^^ Not a bad 69'th post LOL

Galax Steeler
05-15-2009, 03:53 AM

Ward (age 37)
Farrior (age 38)
Harrison (age 35)
A. Smith (age 37)
Hampton (age 35)
Clark (age 34)
I. Taylor (age 33)
Polamalu (age 32)

The one I dread to see go when it is time to retire is Polamalu he will be hard to replace.:banging:

steelcurtain4392
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
but lets look at 2005 and who retired or was moved due to age-

bettis
kreider
hartings
faneca
porter
w. williams (nickel)
von oelhoffen

randle el
wilson
hope
tuman

exactly what i was saying, no one ever talks about that ... randel el was nasty kreider was one of the best / faneca etc. we'll be fine and still be in contention 5 years down the road. :tt03:

WeegiesWarriors
05-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Good time to be a fan of Pittsburgh. The Steelers are in the midst of a great run. The Pens are on the verge of a dynasty run. If only something could happen with the Pirates. I've always dreamed of the Pittsburgh Triple Crown: Steelers, Pirates, Pens winning in the same year. 1992 was the last best chance with the Pens winning the Cup, the Pirates in the NLCS, and Steelers gaining the #1 seed with then rookie coach Bill Cowher ('92 season; '93 playoffs).

I'm too young to imagine the fun of 79 when the Steelers and Pirates won titles. Even Pitt was a national power in football.

What a sports tradition for a city as small as Pittsburgh. New York has more than twice as many sports teams and not near the legends that Pittsburgh has.

Rowghani
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The overall mood of Steeler fans seems to be much more optomistic during this offseason, which is a great sign. We have virtually all of our pieces coming back and with Big Ben moving into his prime and Tomlin further developing his vision of the brand of football the Steelers will play we are definetly one of the Super Bowl favorites along with the Pats, Giants and Carolina. Having said that to look 3+ years down the line and worry about age/free agency is a little silly in my view. Every teams gets old, contracts run out and tough managerial decisions are made. On the flip side every team drafts, trains players to replace others and signs free agents on a yearly basis. Sure Hynes will retire soon, Polamalou may get a career ending injury and 100 other things could happen. We have guys like Mendenhall, Sweed and Timmons chomping at the bits trying to make a contribution to the team and as long as the Steeler tradition of drafting hard nosed, tough and egoless players doesnt change we will be ok. Troy's retirement doesnt scare me. The Rooney family selling the franchise or Dick Lebeau retiring scares me more.

hindes204
05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
The front office has been the best in the league for dealing with adversity...no worries

pancake
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
It would mean more rings will need to be bought... :wink02:

AllD
05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Good time to be a fan of Pittsburgh. The Steelers are in the midst of a great run. The Pens are on the verge of a dynasty run. If only something could happen with the Pirates. I've always dreamed of the Pittsburgh Triple Crown: Steelers, Pirates, Pens winning in the same year. 1992 was the last best chance with the Pens winning the Cup, the Pirates in the NLCS, and Steelers gaining the #1 seed with then rookie coach Bill Cowher ('92 season; '93 playoffs).

I'm too young to imagine the fun of 79 when the Steelers and Pirates won titles. Even Pitt was a national power in football.

What a sports tradition for a city as small as Pittsburgh. New York has more than twice as many sports teams and not near the legends that Pittsburgh has.

It was truly the best of times. I was fortunate enough to watch all those games and never knew what it was like to be a loser.

triphahn
05-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think the Steelers have to worry about a drop off till Ben is coming to the end of his career. Franchise quarterbacks are hard to come by. If Lebeau ever retires(hopefully he coaches into his 90's) that could cause a drop off. I think part of the reason our defense is so good is that they have so much respect for him. Other then that players come and go but they learn the Steeler way of winning.