PDA

View Full Version : Pens / Canes

Pages : [1] 2

Dodt
05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
can't wait for game 1

Edman
05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Gonna be another nailbiter series. Carolina is a Team of Destiny and no one else is playing hotter than Cam Ward. Game 1 is in Pittsburgh.

They're all that stands between the Penguins and a return trip to the Finals.

X-Terminator
05-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Well damn, didn't the game just end, like, 10 minutes ago??? Quick on the draw!

Should be another great series, pitting the 2 hottest teams in the league heading into the playoffs.

stlrtruck
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
The Canes seem to be a gritty team willing to do whatever is necessary to win. They played some great defense tonight.

I just hope the refs let them play the ECF like they did tonight.

tony hipchest
05-14-2009, 10:47 PM
is anyone playing up tomlin at home games vs. cowher at "home" games yet?

if not, i am.

Godfather
05-14-2009, 10:55 PM

if not, i am.

Especially since the Terrible Curse set up the series. Bruins fans were waving yellow towels.

Steel Head
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
should be a great series. Cam Ward is a really good goalie

I am hearing the first 2 games are on Monday and Thursday which is retarded

X-Terminator
05-14-2009, 11:41 PM
should be a great series. Cam Ward is a really good goalie

I am hearing the first 2 games are on Monday and Thursday which is retarded

Don't know why that is, unless there's some kind of scheduling conflict with Mellon Arena this week. Otherwise it makes no sense at all. That means that the Hawks and Wings will start Sunday afternoon, which doesn't surprise me - it's a ratings win for the networks and the league. Carolina in the ECF is a ratings fail, unfortunately. Nobody outside of the Carolinas gives a shit about the Canes, so the ratings won't be nearly as good as the Hawks and Wings.

EDIT: You are correct - the Pens do start Monday and Thursday, and the obvious reason is because NBC wants the Hawks/Wings as their Sunday afternoon games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422796

Monday, May 18 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Thursday, May 21 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Saturday, May 23 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, May 26 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Friday, May 29 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Sunday, May 31 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

HometownGal
05-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Cool beans by me! :thumbsup: I think the Pens will definitely be ready for battle again against a damned good team with a hot goaltender. We just faced a damned good team with a hot goaltender, albeit a rook, and . . . well . . .you know the rest. :tt03:

As I've said numerous times - I believe in this team and they'll do whatever it takes to get 'er done.

LETS GO PENS! :drink:

trauben
05-15-2009, 06:45 AM
http://media.wnct.com/wnct/gfx.php?max_width=300&imgfile=images/uploads/CAROLINA_HURRICANES_logo.jpg
Okay, we've got Carolina up next! Home ice advantage! :tt02:

trauben
05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Don't know why that is, unless there's some kind of scheduling conflict with Mellon Arena this week.

That's precisely what it is.....................again! :thmbdown:

With this new arena being built "for" the Pens...........this better never happen again.

Could you imagine if we had a covered Heinz Field and they began booking concerts, etc, in January until waiting to find out if the resident home owners were delayed on their "vacation" plans? Just imagine what would happen! So there's no difference here. None at all!!!! They KNOW that there's a chance every late April, May and early June that the Igloo's Pens might still be in the hunt for the Cup! After all, that IS the reason we've been playing all season........."to win the Championship"! You'd think they would hold out and wait. :doh:

This better not happen at the new arena!

The good side of this is..................Gonch has time to heal (and anyone else who's been wincing in secret).

SCSTILLER
05-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Should be interesting times in the Staal household!

if not, i am.

Oh, it's coming! You will probably see more of Cowher and Tomlin on the screen then you will of Bylsma and the Hurricanes coach!

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I watched the B's/Canes game. Canes were the quicker team, Boston D was slow, couldn't get the puck up the ice.

Canes forced the turnovers and Cam Ward was solid. Kinda reminded me of the Pens play.

Bruins were 2 - 23 on the PP in that series - that doomed them.

As for the schedule, it sucks, but the extra time off might help Gonchar heal a little more. I guess that beats having a national audience on NBC?

All Versus. (But at least I won't have to listen to Pierre hating on the Pens)

ESPN has already tagged this as the Thunder Bay series

http://www.724sports.com/news/i/pix/staal_eric_and_jordan.jpg

Sid - 12 goals in the playoffs so far, NHL Record 19

rbryan
05-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Especially since the Terrible Curse set up the series. Bruins fans were waving yellow towels.

WTH is up with Boston fans waving a yellow towel?? If I had a nickel for every pattycake fan that I've heard rag on the Steelers for the terrible towel I could retire.

I'm just glad Carolina took care of business, I don't think I could stomach 2 weeks of bloated, ignorant, jerkoffs from beantown who just became "die hard" hockey fans overnight.

Steel Head
05-15-2009, 08:06 AM
WTH is up with Boston fans waving a yellow towel??

Forget the towel, their moto was "WE WANT IT" ....lol, that's stupid

SCSTILLER
05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
It is starting already down here. I have a Pens bobblehead on my desk at work. People, who probably have no clue that hockey is played on frozen water, are coming up to me saying the "the 'Canes are gonna whoop your teams ass." I am all for talking smack if you know what you are talking about, but don't be an idiot. But, I guess that I am in the Carolina's so I guess I should be ready for it. Damn, it will be fun when we win!

trauben
05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Should be interesting times in the Staal household!
They went through this last year, too, when we played the Rangers in the playoffs. Last year it was Jordan vs Marc. This year it's Jordan vs Eric. I'm sure they're used to this by now.

Oh, it's coming! You will probably see more of Cowher and Tomlin on the screen then you will of Bylsma and the Hurricanes coach!
I agree! There's no way they'll pass on an NFL angle during a hockey playoff game. Its something the MSM loves to do, find a unique angle to an old story.

I am so glad Boston is out! :applaudit:
Not only does this mean we get the home ice, but it means those stupid Boston (*Pats) fans can STFU with their "WE WANT IT" spoiled chant (no videos allowed idiots)! That irritated me last night while watching this game! The idiots probably didn't realize they were firing up the wrong team. That had to have pissed off the Canes and spurn them on more, whereas it could have a "nagging" effect on the home team. And then stealing our "Terrible Towel" idea? Jackasses!

Besides, I just can't stand Boston fans whether they be *Patsies*, Red Sox, or Bruins fans. They're an obnoxious breed, and when it's Boston, you know there's *Pats fans in the crowd and any time they can be brought down, well that's a good thing! Good riddance! :drink:

stlrtruck
05-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Yeah but the great thing is, THEY GOT IT!

Right between the eyes!

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Staal is overrated. Staal is gonna destroy Staal and show everyone he is truly the best Staal.

Edman
05-15-2009, 08:57 AM
For the first time in this playoffs, the Penguins are finally playing a team I don't hate with a passion. It's going to be a fun series win or lose.

X-Terminator
05-15-2009, 09:10 AM
That's precisely what it is.....................again! :thmbdown:

With this new arena being built "for" the Pens...........this better never happen again.

Could you imagine if we had a covered Heinz Field and they began booking concerts, etc, in January until waiting to find out if the resident home owners were delayed on their "vacation" plans? Just imagine what would happen! So there's no difference here. None at all!!!! They KNOW that there's a chance every late April, May and early June that the Igloo's Pens might still be in the hunt for the Cup! After all, that IS the reason we've been playing all season........."to win the Championship"! You'd think they would hold out and wait. :doh:

This better not happen at the new arena!

They can't do that or they risk losing out to other cities, and thus losing money. The same thing will happen when the new arena is built. They're already talking about the arena being booked for 200+ days per year including hockey, and when they get their arena league team, it will add more dates to the schedule. So get used to more scheduling conflicts in the future.

WTH is up with Boston fans waving a yellow towel?? If I had a nickel for every pattycake fan that I've heard rag on the Steelers for the terrible towel I could retire.

I'm just glad Carolina took care of business, I don't think I could stomach 2 weeks of bloated, ignorant, jerkoffs from beantown who just became "die hard" hockey fans overnight.

Well, they are the original black and gold, after all. At least, that's what jackass Boston fans are always quick to remind everyone. :jerkit: Anyway, every team gives out rally towels during the playoffs, so it doesn't bother me.

It is starting already down here. I have a Pens bobblehead on my desk at work. People, who probably have no clue that hockey is played on frozen water, are coming up to me saying the "the 'Canes are gonna whoop your teams ass." I am all for talking smack if you know what you are talking about, but don't be an idiot. But, I guess that I am in the Carolina's so I guess I should be ready for it. Damn, it will be fun when we win!

Most fans in the South wouldn't know a hockey puck from a pisser puck. Just ignore them for now, then rub it in when their team is sent packing with their tails between their legs. :thumbsup:

Yes, the above means I am officially picking the Pens to win this series. The Canes will give them everything they can handle though - while they are short on talent, they are long on grit and determination, and play as good a team game as anyone. Everyone on the team can skate and they can create havoc for opposing teams with their speed and forechecking. The Bruins found that out the hard way - they just could not keep up with the Canes' speed. Plus, Cam Ward has been lights-out for them basically since late February. But I feel that the Pens are the better team, the more talented team, certainly the deeper team in terms of scoring, and quite possibly the hungrier team. They will get to Ward a bit, and the Canes simply do not have enough secondary scoring to match - Staal, Cole and Whitney pretty much is their offense. If the Pens keep them in check, they should be fine.

There are some neat subplots in this series, though:

- Staal vs. Staal, obviously
- Craig Adams goes up against his former team that he won the Cup with back in 05-06
- Orpik vs. Cole. I'm sure Cole still has a burr up his ass from Orpik breaking his neck with a hit from behind 3 years ago.
- Cooke the Rat vs. Scott Walker. Cooke got him with a cheap shot earlier this season that Walker may want to get revenge for.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 10:52 AM
For the first time in this playoffs, the Penguins are finally playing a team I don't hate with a passion. It's going to be a fun series win or lose.

I was just going to say the same thing. Out of all the teams we've played in the last two years I'd say the Canes and Sens would be the only two I don't automatically hate.

Honestly, other than Staal and Cam Ward, I don't really know any of their guys, I just remember they are a tough out for the Pens - maybe because they play so much alike. And yes, Ward is scary.

But we got to keep Fleury in front of his damn net - maybe we could get one of them doggie invisible fences around the blue paint with shock collars to keep him in his place - and give the extra collar to Gill to keep him OUT of the paint.

rbryan
05-15-2009, 10:59 AM
lol....I have one of those for my Rotty....works like a charm on him.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
With all of those 2 day breaks between games, if it goes the distance, we could be watching the Pens-Canes until June.

I guess that's a good thing, but right now I hate WAITING.

So no - I can't really get up any hate for the Canes, besides, Ron Francis is on their bench. How can you hate Ron Francis?

rbryan
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
The NHL will never compare to Football for me, but getting a game every 2-3 days almost makes up for it.

Tough to get excited about much of anything else till September as far as sports goes, so this is bonus time for me.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
After a SB win and the Pens going deep into the playoffs, it's been a fun time for me. I can't complain.

Get to the front of the net boys, that's where all the goals are going to come from now.

trauben
05-15-2009, 01:10 PM
With all of those 2 day breaks between games, if it goes the distance, we could be watching the Pens-Canes until June.

I guess that's a good thing, but right now I hate WAITING.
Man this schedule conflicts with mine. Three of the games are on nights I have functions beginning at 7pm. :banging:

One I can reschedule. Two I cannot since they're events at my daughter's school and I can't let her down. That means I record them and pray no one mentions the score while we're in attendance so I can go home and watch them semi-LIVE in thought only. "If" we don't go past game #4 :hope: ............ then I'll have at least one reprieve, but with the Canes? I think it's a six gamer.

So no - I can't really get up any hate for the Canes, besides, Ron Francis is on their bench. How can you hate Ron Francis?
I have a home Francis jersey.
http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/657/878/96/g_okaM5alzCHKIqnw.jpg
Hmmm , I have a dilemma.

Do I wear the jersey or not? :scratchchin:

What say yinz?

The_WARDen
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I was just going to say the same thing. Out of all the teams we've played in the last two years I'd say the Canes and Sens would be the only two I don't automatically hate.

Honestly, other than Staal and Cam Ward, I don't really know any of their guys, I just remember they are a tough out for the Pens - maybe because they play so much alike. And yes, Ward is scary.

But we got to keep Fleury in front of his damn net - maybe we could get one of them doggie invisible fences around the blue paint with shock collars to keep him in his place - and give the extra collar to Gill to keep him OUT of the paint.

want someone to hate? Brind'amour = ex-Flyer. That's reason enough for me.

KeiselPower99
05-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Don't know why that is, unless there's some kind of scheduling conflict with Mellon Arena this week. Otherwise it makes no sense at all. That means that the Hawks and Wings will start Sunday afternoon, which doesn't surprise me - it's a ratings win for the networks and the league. Carolina in the ECF is a ratings fail, unfortunately. Nobody outside of the Carolinas gives a shit about the Canes, so the ratings won't be nearly as good as the Hawks and Wings.

EDIT: You are correct - the Pens do start Monday and Thursday, and the obvious reason is because NBC wants the Hawks/Wings as their Sunday afternoon games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422796

Monday, May 18 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Thursday, May 21 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Saturday, May 23 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, May 26 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Friday, May 29 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Sunday, May 31 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

Hmm that schedule is really out of whack. Play Monday then off 2 days before game 2? Its gonna be a great series.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a home Francis jersey.

I have an old Tom Barrasso shirt around here somewhere - and he's the Cane's goalie coach - he's teaching that damn Cam Ward.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 06:10 PM
want someone to hate? Brind'amour = ex-Flyer. That's reason enough for me.

Speaking of.....ker-pow

Canes optimistic on Brind'Amour

The Canes now are optimistic that Rod Brind'Amour, injured in Game 7 against the Boston Bruins, will play Monday in the Eastern Conference final opener against Pittsburgh.

Brind'Amour suffered a laceration over the right eye after being hit by the puck early in overtime of the Canes' 3-2 victory in Game 7. He left the bench and did not return.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-optimistic-on-brindamour

--------------------------------------------------

I just watched Eddie-O on NFL live - he is picking the Canes, giving them the edge because of Cam Ward.

tony hipchest
05-15-2009, 06:13 PM
So no - I can't really get up any hate for the Canes, besides, Ron Francis is on their bench. How can you hate Ron Francis?please tell me hes a coach and not still playing. he was ancient when he left pgh and still played for years.

Fire Haley
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Uh, no man - he's not playing. ha!

Should be an evenly matched series - both teams were questionable about making the playoffs, both teams went through a coaching change and both teams were the hottest teams coming into the playoffs.

Of course, we have Sid and Malkin - and they don't!

Staal vs. Staal quotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278817

"With me playing there's always a good chance for hat tricks," laughed the younger Staal. "I don't know about Eric."

The rivalry also extended off the ice where the elder Eric conceded victory to the younger Jordan in one key area.

"His playoff beard is better than mine, mine is pretty bad," Eric admitted. "But he was a grown man at age 12 and I didn't hit puberty until age 20."

Despite skating against each other for the past three seasons, this will be the first playoff encounter between the two brothers, but Jordan likely got a good preview of what to expect by facing sibling Marc in the second round last season when the Penguins eliminated Marc's New York Rangers in five games. Marc wouldn't reveal on which side his loyalties lie for the upcoming series

"I don't know who he's going to be cheering for," Jordan admitted. "He texted me last night and said that it was going to be a tough series to watch. It's going to be interesting to see which side the family rolls on."

With brother Marc manning the blueline in Manhattan and youngest brother Jared taken second-round pick of the Phoenix Coyotes last summer, this could likely be the first of many times that parents Henry and Linda Staal will be forced to watch their boys go head-to-head.

"To be honest I feel bad, but it's so hard on our parents when they are at the games," Eric said. "They don't know who to cheer for."

"I think their plan is to stay home and watch it on TV."

tony hipchest
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
*whew*

last time i watched him play was the last time he won a championship and i know that was a while back.

Fire Haley
05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Here's a little deja vu for you

Last year the Flyers were the 6 seed, they beat the 3 seed (Caps) and the 1 seed (Habs) to make it to the conference finals against the Pens.

This year, the 'Canes are the 6 seed, they beat the 3 seed (Devils) and the 1 seed (Bruins) to make it to the conference finals against the Pens.

Werd.

Fire Haley
05-16-2009, 09:43 AM
More fun...

OFFICIAL STAAL BROTHER DRINKING GAME RULES

Drinking begins at puck drop.

Single drink:- it is mentioned that the Staals are brothers
- if it is mentioned that there are other Staals, not present, who are also in the NHL
- if a phrase such as "sibling rivalry" is used
- if it is pointed out that BOTH STAALS ARE ON THE ICE
- if anyone mentions the sod farm
- if any random facts are introduced about the present Staals or the Staal family
- if the Staal parents are mentioned
- if any Staal reference occurs that would simply not occur in a one-Staal game

Chug:
- if a comparative Staal brother graphic is shown on the screen
- if they are verbally compared AT LENGTH by the announcers (use your own discretion in deciding "length")
- if a video clip of the brothers/family is shown
- if an interview with a Staal brother happens at intermission (add an additional drink if the Staal brother is asked anything about playing against his brother)
- if the Staal parents are in attendance (this cancels out taking a single drink if the parents are mentioned, but not if they are mentioned separately from the fact that they are in attendance)

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
:laughing:

count me in! i'll have a 30 pack in the fridge ready to go. :drink:

rbryan
05-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Anyone playing this game is going to be hammered by the end of the first period.

X-Terminator
05-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Anyone playing this game is going to be hammered by the end of the first period.

By the end of the first period? They should be hammered halfway through the first period.

Fire Haley
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow - I was just on Ticketmaster - I can get good seat tickets for next Tues - it's about a 11hr drive to Raleigh for me. Who wants to go?

HometownGal
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I have an old Tom Barrasso shirt around here somewhere - and he's the Cane's goalie coach - he's teaching that damn Cam Ward.

I have a Rick Tocchet jersey which I have preserved for a lot of years. :thumbsup:

Tom Barasso was a crazy SOB, but one of the best playoff goalies ever. If you got anywhere near his crease, he'd whack you with his goalie stick - no questions asked. LOL!

I think this series is going to go 6, probably 7 games, as both teams are extremely talented and driving for the finish line. It's gonna be a good one! LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

Fire Haley
05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Defenceman Sergei Gonchar took a third consecutive day off on Saturday while his teammates returned to practice at Mellon Arena in advance of their Monday opener against Carolina.

Dan Bylsma said Gonchar's absence from practice yesterday shouldn't be viewed as an indication of his readiness, or lack thereof, to play against the Hurricanes. - Tribune-Review

Projected Lines vs. Hurricanes

Forwards:
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Fedotenko - Malkin - Talbot
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis - Adams - Satan

Defence:
Orpik - Letang
Gill - Scuderi
Eaton - Boucher
Goligoski

Goaltender:
Fleury
Garon

Spares:
Sykora, Godard

HometownGal
05-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info Killer. :drink: Hopefully, Serg will be ready to go tomorrow night. :hope:

I'm really looking forward to this series and am hoping beyond hope that the Pens can start out 2-0. :thumbsup:

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

Fire Haley
05-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Home ice in the ECF - after barely making the playoffs? - gotta love it!

And now we'll find out how much having Gonchar playing on one leg will hurt us.

And I always said from the start Cam Ward is scary good. Got to send guys to the net.

More news...

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forwards Chris Minard, Jeff Taffe, and Dustin Jeffrey from Wilkes Barre/Scranton of the AHL. Goaltender John Curry and defenseman Ben Lovejoy were also recalled.

The Baby Penguins’ season ended last week with a loss in the seventh game of a playoff series with the Hershey Bears.

The five players recalled don’t figure to get into game action barring multiple injuries, but they’ll be “Black Aces” and stick with the team for as far as it goes.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburgh-penguins/2910/penguins-promote-five-players-for-stretch-drive

SteelCityMan786
05-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Looks like Gonchar is ready to go.
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09137/970858-100.stm
Gonchar practices, optimistic about playing Monday
Sunday, May 17, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar says he is optimistic about being able to play in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final against Carolina Monday night at Mellon Arena.

Gonchar, who had been off skates for the previous three days, participated in the team's practice at Southpointe today, then expressed confidence that he'll be in uniform against the Hurricanes..

"It looks promising," he said. "I don't want to say anything (conclusive) right now, but there's a good chance."

Gonchar missed Games 5 and 6 of the Penguins' second-round series against Washington after a knee-on-knee hit from Capitals left winger Alex Ovechkin during Game 4. He returned for the Penguins' 6-2 victory in Game 7, but played little more than 15 minutes, barely half his usual workload.

Also, the Penguins recalled forwards Dustin Jeffrey, Chris Minard and Jeff Taffe, defenseman Ben Lovejoy and goaltender John Curry from their farm team in Wilkes-Barre, which has finished its season.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Ready to go? He's playing on one leg . Save him for the PP's coach,

X-Terminator
05-18-2009, 06:47 AM
It's the playoffs. If you can breathe, you can play.

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 07:28 AM
I guess with this stupid schedule we can afford to keep dressing 7 d-men without the risk of wearing out our forwards

GO PENS!!!

trauben
05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
:tt02: LETS GO PENS!:tt02:

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Just do it!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/phantompenguin/igloowhite.png

MAF - it's all up to you buddy.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/phantompenguin/fleuryshake.png

It's all up to you.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
:tt02: LETS GO PENS!:tt02:

"Let me see your war face"

http://www.joelogon.com/images_temp/warface.jpg

Aaarrrrgghhhh!!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
3-1/2 hours until the opening faceoff! :banana:

LETS GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Pens PP early in the 1st!!! :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
back to back, lets get a goal on this one!!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Pens on yet another PP. Canes are 90% on the PK since the playoffs began, so they're going to have to shoot, shoot, shoot. LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Even up time. Pens put their PK to the test against a very aggresive Canes PP.

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
MIRO SATAN SCORES!!!!! :banana:

Pens up 1-0!

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satan out of the box, lets keep it going

LETS GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, great job by Fleury for keeping the score at zero

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! GENO SCORES to make it 2-0 Pens! :banana: :banana: :banana:

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
GENO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are really feeling it!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Fleury playing a great game thus far! :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Fleury playing a great game thus far! :thumbsup:

he is, couple of great saves on the PK, if he lets one of those in no Satan breakaway. its good that he has the start that he does

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
They're playing VERY SOLID. Keep up the good work!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
What a save by Fleury!!! He's playing out of his mind thus far! :hatsoff:

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
GREAT SAVE FLEURY!!!!

i wish i could flex half as good as fleury, it would still be an incredible improvement

pittsburghp8baller
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
great start to the series, now we got to keep the pressure ON and not sit back and let them back in

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
What a terrific 1st period by our Pens! :drink: Offense, defense - goaltending - it was all clicking. Let's keep it up in the 2nd guyz!

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Excellent 1st period!

Fleury looking sharp

Malkin playing like a beast

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Dupuis and Kennedy are due - I'd like to see both of them put it in the net tonight.

Good to see the Pens come out on fire and I hope they take it to 'em again in the 2nd.

LETS GO PENS!

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Dupuis and Kennedy are due - I'd like to see both of them put it in the net tonight.

Good to see the Pens come out on fire and I hope they take it to 'em again in the 2nd.

LETS GO PENS!

Dupuis isn't playing

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Fleury is just unbelievable tonight!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
LaRose scores for the Canes. 2-1 Pens.

C'mon boyz - let's answer back.

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Goaltender interference on the Canes. NO GOAL.

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Pens have to step it up in the 3rd, get more SOG on Ward and keep the Canes from storming our net. They got outplayed in the 2nd and the Canes are going to be bringing it.

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Once we go back to 12 forwards and 6 d-men, Bylsma should scratch Gill and leave Boucher dressed. Gill is way too slow for a fast pace series like this

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Once we go back to 12 forwards and 6 d-men, Bylsma should scratch Gill and leave Boucher dressed. Gill is way too slow for a fast pace series like this

I love Boucher, but I disagree with regard to Gill. He's a big body out there with a 747 wing span and he hits hard. The only gripe I have about him is he stands in front of the net to try to block shots and it makes it difficult for Fleury to see through or around him - LOL!

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Phillipe Boucher on the PP gives the Pens a 3-1 lead!!! :banana:

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 08:47 PM
hahaaha....I told ya'all Boucher was GOOD!!!!!!

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Scuderi playing great

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Canes on PP - hold strong Pens! :hope:

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
hahaaha....I told ya'all Boucher was GOOD!!!!!!

He's a very nice addition to this team and he got a lucky one there, but I'll take it. :applaudit:

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
BS. Fleury got his stick whacked away

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
LETS

GO

PENS!!!!!!

We got screwed on an interference call that should have been called before that goal. :mad:

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Gill looks lost on the ice tonight

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Game saver by Fleury!!!! :drink: What an incredible SAVE!!!

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
LOL @ Gill standing around like a tree

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Gill looks lost on the ice tonight

Why the hell are you hatin' on Gill? He's played extremely well throughout the playoffs and has 2 SOG tonight. :doh:

Steel Head
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Why the hell are you hatin' on Gill? He's played extremely well throughout the playoffs and has 2 SOG tonight. :doh:

I thought he was our worst player on the ice by far

2 SOG? who cares

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought he was our worst player on the ice by far

2 SOG? who cares

2 SOG, 1 assist, a +1 for the night and over 20 minutes of ice time and he was the worst player on the ice? :doh: Were you watching the same game I was?

He's most definitely not the fastest skater on the ice and he isn't an offensive defenseman- never has been and that isn't why the Pens wanted him. He works hard, breaks up plays and uses his size to keep opposing players out of the middle. I think the guy has more than done his job, especially in these playoffs.

OneForTheToe
05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
GREAT SAVE FLEURY!!!!

i wish i could flex half as good as fleury, it would still be an incredible improvement

As I told the crew at the bar tonight, I know I could get down like Fluery..
.......... i'm just not saying I could get back up.:wink02:

OneForTheToe
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I love Boucher, but I disagree with regard to Gill. He's a big body out there with a 747 wing span and he hits hard. The only gripe I have about him is he stands in front of the net to try to block shots and it makes it difficult for Fleury to see through or around him - LOL!

And sometimes he stands between the net and his goaltender.:laughing:

But, I do like the guy in the game.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
From where I sat - what an exciting game. But as Bob Prince would say "We had them ALLLLLLLLLLL the way!"

Fleury is a God.

Everytime Gill is on the ice it is a scoring chance for the Canes.

Geno is a horse - a nice horse.

On TSN during one intermission they were speculating that Gonchar has a torn ACL because Blysma before the game said "it cant get any worse".,

jev7452
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
good start!! i was one of 3 pens fans in a local bar down here in north carolina and lovedd the dirty looks i was getting!!

X-Terminator
05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Got to see up until about 15 minutes left in the game - good game, and a good start. Fleury was outstanding tonight, as was Ward - if that first shot by Guerin goes in, it's 3-0 and the rout would have been on. This series is going to be decided by the goaltenders, no question about it.

I thought the Pens got a little sloppy in their own end in the 2nd period after an excellent first period. They had problems in the 2nd during the Washington series as well. They clamped down in the 3rd period though and held the Canes to 1 shot until the end.

What's up with the Gill hatred in this thread? I think the guy has done a damn good job this postseason, and has jelled nicely with Rob Scuderi. I didn't think he played all that bad tonight either. No, he's not fleet of foot, but he makes up for that with his reach and physical play. He doesn't get beat one-on-one very often either. Give the man some credit, for crying out loud.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't see any hatred - just fact. He's a pylon waving a stick.

Look at the last 10 minutes.

Canes are just too quick for him and Staal to be out there together on PK - holy crap that was close.

did I mention Fleury is a GOD!!?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3dM-olSNn_s/SXjj9sKf70I/AAAAAAAAAP4/f6gO9TYEZo8/s400/jan+canes.jpg

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Fleury definitely played lights out tonight.

He got just plain beat on the first goal, and the second one should have been goaltender interference, can't fault him for that one.

Anyone else wonder how he seems to constantly lose his stick? Maybe he needs a bigger knob on the end of his stick (it might be because I am still intoxicated from the game, but that cracked me up. It sounds dirty and it isn't supposed to be)

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 02:26 AM
I don't see any hatred - just fact. He's a pylon waving a stick.

Look at the last 10 minutes.

Canes are just too quick for him and Staal to be out there together on PK - holy crap that was close.

did I mention Fleury is a GOD!!?

I didn't see the last 10 minutes of the game but I will when I get home later this morning. It won't change my view - the man has been good throughout the playoffs. The Craps are a pretty good skating team, and I didn't see any of them consistently beating him. He and Scuderi did a great job in the Flyers series helping to limit Jeff Carter to just 1 goal. He's a +2 for the playoffs playing primarily against the other teams' top lines. I'd say that's pretty good. Plus, just from listening to the game, it sure sounded like he wasn't the only one running around in his own zone at the end when the Canes were pushing for the tying goal. Gill is not going to be benched unless he gets hurt, so you're just going to have to get used to seeing him out there.

Steel Head
05-19-2009, 07:48 AM
It's nice to win but our defense needs to seriously tighten up. Fleury played an amazing game.

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Canes lost Rutuu and Cole, both physical forwards - if they are out for any amount of time - it will hurt them.

Cooke Hit On Cole

The Hurricanes lost Erik Cole midway through the third period after Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke caught him knee-on-knee in front of the Pittsburgh net. Cole played only one shift after that, and an angry Paul Maurice wasn’t happy about the hit afterward.

Asked if he thought it was a knee-on-knee hit, with the implication that it was an illegal one, a curt Maurice said, “Yes, I did. I felt that was, yeah.”

Cole officially has a “lower body” injury, but he clearly hurt his left knee in the collision. Cooke said the contact was accidental.

“He was cutting across the middle,” Cooke said. “I turned sideways to hit him, and he turned the other way. I almost fell over, too.”

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/cooke_hit_on_cole/

Steel Head
05-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Maybe Cooke thought knee-on-knee was legal after Ovechkin was allowed to do it :noidea: eh, stupid play by Cooke though

Eaton hurting Ruutu was an accident. We all know Eaton is not a dirty player at all

HometownGal
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Canes lost Rutuu and Cole, both physical forwards - if they are out for any amount of time - it will hurt them.

Cooke Hit On Cole

The Hurricanes lost Erik Cole midway through the third period after Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke caught him knee-on-knee in front of the Pittsburgh net. Cole played only one shift after that, and an angry Paul Maurice wasn’t happy about the hit afterward.

Asked if he thought it was a knee-on-knee hit, with the implication that it was an illegal one, a curt Maurice said, “Yes, I did. I felt that was, yeah.”

Cole officially has a “lower body” injury, but he clearly hurt his left knee in the collision. Cooke said the contact was accidental.

“He was cutting across the middle,” Cooke said. “I turned sideways to hit him, and he turned the other way. I almost fell over, too.”

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/cooke_hit_on_cole/

I don't feel Cooke intentionally tried to injure Cole's knee as Ovechkin did to Gonchar. Any word yet on Ruutu? You're right, Killer - both of those guys are very physical and them being out of the lineup will hurt the Canes.

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't know about their guys coming back, but Gonchar barely survived this game. He looked about 60% healthy. He'll need every extra day off we can get - funny how that worked out.

Geno was our savior, he really controlled the play by taking the puck up the ice all game. (Well - him and Fleury!)

Sid's passing would of had us another couple of goals except for Ward standing on his head - Guerin was getting point blank shots in front of the net.

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Home ice +1

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0518/nhl_g_penswin_600.jpg

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Gill is not going to be benched unless he gets hurt, so you're just going to have to get used to seeing him out there.

Yes, I'm resigned to see him hand the Canes half a dozen scoring chances when he fails to get the puck out of his own zone because he can't move more than 3 ft and handles the puck like a hand grenade. But no, it's not all on him though - just - clear- the- puck. Those little love taps that turn into turnovers will get you killed against this team.

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't feel Cooke intentionally tried to injure Cole's knee as Ovechkin did to Gonchar. Any word yet on Ruutu? You're right, Killer - both of those guys are very physical and them being out of the lineup will hurt the Canes.

I'll give Cooke the benefit of the doubt for now as I haven't seen this yet, but if is involved in something like this, I tend to side with the victim. He put Scott Walker out for nearly 2 months after a cheap shot elbow back in January. And when it comes time for him to answer the bell, he'll have those gloves cemented on, as usual. The only difference between him and Capt. Caveman is skill level. Both are as dirty and cheap as anyone in the league.

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, I'm resigned to see him hand the Canes half a dozen scoring chances when he fails to get the puck out of his own zone because he can't move more than 3 ft and handles the puck like a hand grenade. But no, it's not all on him though - just - clear- the- puck. Those little love taps that turn into turnovers will get you killed against this team.

Yeah, Eaton and Orpik are guilty of doing the same thing. The only ones who consistently get the puck out by slapping it hard around or flipping it out are Letang, Gonchar and Scuderi. So no, it isn't all on Gill. Everyone to a man has to do whatever it takes to get the puck out of the zone.

GeneralRobinson
05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll give Cooke the benefit of the doubt for now as I haven't seen this yet, but if is involved in something like this, I tend to side with the victim. He put Scott Walker out for nearly 2 months after a cheap shot elbow back in January. And when it comes time for him to answer the bell, he'll have those gloves cemented on, as usual. The only difference between him and Capt. Caveman is skill level. Both are as dirty and cheap as anyone in the league.

Not to pile on, but it did look as though both Eaton and Cooke's knee contact with Ruutu and Cole were not accidental. We should be better than that and not resort to tactics outside of the rules. I would not be surprised if the league took action against them.

HometownGal
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Not to pile on, but it did look as though both Eaton and Cooke's knee contact with Ruutu and Cole were not accidental. We should be better than that and not resort to tactics outside of the rules. I would not be surprised if the league took action against them.

Well if the league does take action against either or both of them, they need to revisit Ovechkin's deliberate attempt to injure Gonchar (which of course they won't, as he is the NHL's toofless golden boy).

OK - Cooke can be reckless at times, maybe, but Eaton? :jawdrop: That's not the type of game he plays.

Steel Head
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Eaton hurting Ruutu most definitely looked accidental. Eaton was trying to push Ruutu off his spot in front of the net, they got tangled up and Ruutu fell down awkward. Ruutu is soft and one of the most injury prone players in the NHL. It was unfortunate but Eaton is not a dirty player.

Cooke's hit was dirty, almost as dirty as Ovechkin's

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Eaton's definitely was accidental. I haven't seen Cooke's yet, but I will say this - if the league does decide to fine and/or suspend Cooke, that will just show once again the glaring double standard that exists between stars and pluggers since Ovechkin didn't even get a fine for his cheap shot on Gonchar. Best thing for "Colon" Campbell to do is to look the other way, or risk having his reputation dragged deeper into the gutter than it already has.

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Heres a quick look at the Cooke hit....looks borderline shady to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5TA4vLIZI&feature=player_embedded

stlrtruck
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM

I don't know. It looks like both men have their legs out away from their bodies.

Steel Head
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't know. It looks like both men have their legs out away from their bodies.

yeah, it's really hard to tell. It's definitely not as cut and dry as Ovechkin's or some of Cooke's previous knee-on-knee hits

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Here's some noise to fill the time...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422875

Penguins-Hurricanes blog Tuesday, 05.19.2009
Conference Finals: Pittsburgh vs. Carolina By NHL.com Staff

Maurice: Hitting and Sid the Kid

Well, recently arrived back here at the Hilton Pittsburgh after attending Tuesday morning media availability for the Hurricanes at the William Penn Hotel in the downtown area.

Obviously, many of the reporters on hand wanted to get coach Paul Maurice's reaction to the knee-on-knee hit that Pens forward Matt Cooke put on Erik Cole in the third period.

Maurice was disappointed, but realizes it's something he cannot be concerned with at this stage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He did offer this tantalizing tidbit however.

"You can hit but … in NASCAR country, there's no rubbing allowed," he said. "We just have to adjust our game. Every series has its own life and it's own temperature and we have to learn that we have to be careful with any contact or, if you're going to drive the front of the net, you're not allowed to bump which is fine, just as long as it goes both ways."

After the game, Cooke defended his play.

"(Cole) was cutting across the middle," Cooke told Luke Deprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpro fanityfilter of The News & Observer. "I turned sideways to hit him, and he turned the other way. I almost fell over, too."

When asked if his club would rally around the possible setback of two players -- Tuomo Ruuto and Cole -- to injuries, Maurice took the high road.

"I'll let you know."

Maurice also offered some entertaining dialogue on his team's effectiveness against Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby in Game 1. Crosby was limited to two shots for the game.

"Oh, we have a secret," Maurice quipped. "Really though, there wasn't a need for his offensive push since they held the lead. He's such a smart player and he played a smart defensive game. I thought the (Matt) Cullen line played pretty good and I thought he made a good adjustment in making sure those guys stayed off the score sheet.

"I realize a lot is made about Crosby, (Eric) Staal and (Evgeni) Malkin, but, really, none of those players care about personal stats so long as they win," Maurice said. "Maybe in the regular season, certain players would like to get their numbers because they feel that pressure, but all these guys who are truly great players, don't really care who scores. We didn't do anything to Sidney Crosby to keep him off the score sheet; he went out and played as hard as he possibly could and he read that game very well."

--Mike G. Morreale

No news on Hurricanes' Ruutu, Cole

PITTSBURGH - Carolina Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice offered no immediate update on the status of forwards Tuomo Ruutu and Erik Cole during Tuesday's media availability.

"There's no update and I haven't seen them today (as of 11:30 a.m.)," Maurice said. "My medical opinion wouldn't mean much anyway."

HometownGal
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM

That's the way I'm seeing it. :noidea: Thanks for posting the clip, Killer.

Fire Haley
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Anything for you, muffin.

The_WARDen
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
it was a cheap play and he should have been penalized. The black n gold glasses don't alter that fact.

Everyone whined about Capt. Caveman...Cooke's hit should have been a minor penalty also.

Mario must have gotten the Visa credit limit increased.

stlrtruck
05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Anything for you, muffin.

Get a room :puke:

Just kidding :flap:

stlrtruck
05-19-2009, 05:19 PM
it was a cheap play and he should have been penalized. The black n gold glasses don't alter that fact.

Everyone whined about Capt. Caveman...Cooke's hit should have been a minor penalty also.

Mario must have gotten the Visa credit limit increased.

I felt the same way about Ovechkin's hit too. And while he skated towards Gonchar I didn't see it as a deliberate knee to knee. But that's just my view. IMO, both of those plays (Ovechkin and Cooke) are hockey plays, especially in the playoffs.

X-Terminator
05-20-2009, 03:37 AM

It looks like Cooke turned his shoulder and was ready to hit Cole, but Cole turned at the last second, causing their knees to collide. I don't see Cooke sticking out his knee the way Cavey did to Gonchar. So as much as I'd have loved another opportunity to bash him, it doesn't look to me like it was an intentional hit by Cooke.

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 07:20 AM
The conspiracy theories and whining by opposing coaches just never ends. :shake02: :rolleyes:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_625925.html?source=rss&feed=8

No conspiracy against Carolina

By Luke DeCo ck, THE (RALEIGH, N.C.) NEWS & OBSERVER
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So, you're convinced the NHL is out to get the Carolina Hurricanes.

You're not alone. Many players are also convinced the league is tilting the ice in favor of Sidney Crosby, too.

While that's a useful motivational tool inside the dressing room, it's also giving the NHL way too much credit. Even if the league wanted to pull strings behind the scenes to ensure the Penguins' return to the Stanley Cup finals, it's nowhere near organized enough to pull it off.

This is the league that packed three two-day breaks between games into the Eastern Conference finals, stretching it out longer than some major wars.

If the NHL can't come up with a sensible schedule for a playoff series, how is it supposed to rig one?

Rest assured there is no conspiracy, no vast Illuminati working against the Hurricanes in the league offices in Toronto and New York. If there was, how could the Hurricanes possibly have made it to the conference finals for the third time in seven tries?

Still, after Monday's 3-2 loss, the Hurricanes remain convinced that the league is favoring Crosby, not that they'll acknowledge it publicly. That perception will be as much of a rallying cry in this series as it was against the Boston Bruins.

Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice took pains to raise a few issues for the league's consideration Monday night, which is all part of the gentlemanly code of playoff gamesmanship. It's a ritual as formalized as a cricket match or Bar Mitzvah.

Maurice wanted a penalty on Matt Cooke's knee-to-knee hit on Erik Cole in the third period and questioned the three interference calls in the first eight minutes after a rough-and-tumble, anything-goes series against the Boston Bruins. Then he underlined those points again Tuesday.

"Apparently, if you drive the front of the net, you're not allowed to bump the guy," Maurice said. "At least, you hope it goes both ways." :jerkit:

Cynics, partisans and the casually paranoid would say that a tighter standard of officiating favors the Penguins in this series, just as a looser standard played to the Bruins' advantage in the last series.

They would further argue that the NHL is desperate to see Crosby and the Penguins advance over the small-market Hurricanes, as they point out that the Canes, the NHL's least penalized team in the regular season, have faced more power plays than any team left in the postseason.

These are legitimate concerns but closer to coincidence than conspiracy.

The league has had means, motive and opportunity, yet the Hurricanes are still alive.

If the NHL really wanted the Hurricanes out, all it would have taken was one extra call in either Game 7. There were enough potential penalties in overtime of the Game 7 against the Bruins to make any number of legitimate calls that could have ended Carolina's season.

Now, make no mistake, there are certainly people who work for the league who would love to see the Penguins back in the Stanley Cup finals. If you worked in the marketing department and didn't have a horse in this race, you might feel that way too.

But there's a long and winding road between crossing your fingers in hopes Boston or Pittsburgh advances and actually being able to work the levers of the great and mighty Oz to try to make it happen.

Steel Head
05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
"Apparently, if you drive the front of the net, you're not allowed to bump the guy," Maurice said. "At least, you hope it goes both ways."

I dont get what he is talking about? :noidea:

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 07:32 AM
"Apparently, if you drive the front of the net, you're not allowed to bump the guy," Maurice said. "At least, you hope it goes both ways."

I dont get what he is talking about? :noidea:

He's whining about the interference calls on the Canes in Monday night's game and is suggesting that the refs calls are somehow "biased".

X-Terminator
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
You have no idea how sick and tired I am of hearing this every time the Penguins win. No, they don't outwork other teams, outplay, outhustle, whatever. It's all being handed to them on a silver platter by the league and the referees. :jerkit:

I'm at the point now where I may just tune out the media altogether. This kind of BS has has also had an effect on the feeble-minded dolts out there (read: Flyers fans) who need some kind of excuse for their team losing. They can't accept the fact that sometimes you just get beat.

trauben
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
You have no idea how sick and tired I am of hearing this every time the Penguins win. No, they don't outwork other teams, outplay, outhustle, whatever. It's all being handed to them on a silver platter by the league and the referees. :jerkit:
There was a Pens fan at the Igloo who summed it all up nicely for us and for Maurice ...........

http://www.thepensblog.bloguin.com/images/stories/2009_playoffs/recaps/ecf-game_1/-3.jpg

X-Terminator
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I officially hate the Canes now. Took only one game.

What a bunch of whiny bitches.

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 12:39 PM
There was a Pens fan at the Igloo ....[/IMG]

ha ha! great pic - I saw that

- the PPG had a whole article about the dude - not going to arrest him or anything..

If the league was gonna do anything, it should of made sure the Pens/Caps was for the ECF.

Too bad

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1808/ourfinesthour.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k153/vlgllante29/ovysemin.jpg

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Speaking of injuries...

yesterday

Quote:
Hurricanes forwards Erik Cole and Tuomo Ruutu are questionable for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Penguins, general manager Jim Rutherford said this afternoon.

Rutherford said Cole and Ruutu, who have lower-body injuries, underwent MRI's today and that he then talked to head trainer Pete Friesen about their condition.

"I do not think it looks good for either player," Rutherford said. "Pete Friesen was not overly optimistic about either.

"But we have two days between games and extra time. Certainly if we played tomorrow night, they would not be playing."

Today

Quote:
UPDATE: In practice today, Eric Staal is centering a line with Chad LaRose and Ray Whitney; Matt Cullen centering Scott Walker and Jussi Jokinen; Rod Brind'Amour centering Sergei Samsonov and Patrick Eaves. Helminen is working with Ryan Bayda, Tim Conboy and Dwyer on the fourth line.

trauben
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

SteelCityMan786
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Did you hear that whining??? Please Carolina like we haven't heard that before.

Also that penalty in front of the net was a LEGIT PENALTY. You can NOT shove an opposing team guy into their goaltender. That is interference in the rulebook because it disables the goalie's ability to save the puck.

Why not be like certain teams in this league (Penguins and Red Wings to name 2) and go out and try to out work, out play, etc. other teams.

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 05:00 PM
There ya go...

NHL decides not to suspend Penguins winger Cooke

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins left winger Matt Cooke will not be suspended for a knee-on-knee hit on Carolina forward Erik Cole during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final Monday at Mellon Arena.

It was not immediately known if Cooke will be fined by the National Hockey League office.

Cole was injured on the hit, which occurred during the third period, and played sparingly after that.

Neither he nor teammate Tuomo Ruutu, who also was injured Monday, participated in Carolina's practice today. Hurricanes Coach Paul Maurice said their status for Game 2 tomorrow night has not been determined

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09140/971481-100.stm

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I still don't believe Cooke intentionally kneed Cole, but the way I look at it - if Ovechkin didn't get suspended fined for an obvious deliberate knee/knee on Serg, Cooke shouldn't get suspended or fined either.

X-Terminator
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's another good read: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=423336

From the article, and this will be sure to make Pens' fans happy:

Speaking of staying healthy in the postseason, it appears that defenseman Sergei Gonchar is closing in on being 100 percent after going through Wednesday's practice without problems. Gonchar also played more than 22 minutes Monday in Pittsburgh's Game 1 victory.

"With the treatment that he has gotten, he feels comfortable that he can play and be effective pivoting, skating and going back for pucks," Bylsma said. "I'm not surprised to see him play that much. If need be, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more. He's capable of that and wants to play more.

"His movement back there surprises me. He looks good, looks fluid and that's a big part of his game -- agility, being able to skate and make plays. To see him do that, you know he feels comfortable.

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 06:07 PM
this will be sure to make Pens' fans happy

So what are you?

Another Habs fan?.....I KNEW it!:tt03:

X-Terminator
05-20-2009, 06:29 PM
So what are you?

Another Habs fan?.....I KNEW it!:tt03:

Ha ha. Very funny :flap:

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't trust any of you. I think you're all KGB.

Here's a great link for all the players locker room interview videos for the off days...watch em all.

http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 07:23 PM
... if Ovechkin didn't get suspended fined for an obvious deliberate knee/knee on Serg, Cooke shouldn't get suspended or fined either.

Aye, sweat pea...but I have a feeling the league would almost surely crack down hard on the next one doing it, to set a new precedent.

Just a feeling.

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
"Hits and Hypocricy ... A case in point"
The Cooke-Cole hit was just like the Ovechkin-Gonchar hit

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's hard to say who are bigger hypocrites -- hockey people or hockey fans. The hypocrisy just drips off of every last one. • When one of yours takes out one of theirs with a hit ranging from borderline dirty to flagrantly criminal, it's a good, clean, hard hockey play. But when one of theirs puts the same hit on one of yours, the perp is a rotten lowlife who should be fined, suspended and maybe even banned for life from the NHL.

It would be comical if it weren't so sad.

The Penguins' Matt Cooke knocked the Carolina Hurricanes' Erik Cole out of Game 1 of their Stanley Cup playoff series Monday night with a knee-on-knee hit that brought back bad memories of Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin dropping Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar with a similar hit in the previous playoff round. The Penguins and their fans screamed about the Ovechkin play. Of course, they screamed. Defenseman Brooks Orpik accused Ovechkin of intentionally trying to hurt people, not just because of the Gonchar hit, but because of other runs Ovechkin has taken at Penguins. Cooke went so far as to say if he delivered such a blow, he would be suspended because, well, he's not Ovechkin and he isn't one of the brighter lights in the NHL galaxy.

Funny how quickly Cooke tested the league, isn't it?

Ovechkin wasn't even fined for his dirty hit and Cooke hadn't been for his as of yesterday, although it's possible the NHL could take some action today. If the league does, it won't be at all well-received in Pittsburgh. Cooke said he didn't mean it, didn't he? He said he was trying to avoid the collision. He said it was more Cole's fault.

That makes everything OK, right?

Please.

Didn't Ovechkin say the same things?

The same people who screamed about Ovechkin see nothing wrong with what Cooke did, even though he has a reputation for being something of a cheap-shot guy and even though this particular hit left Cole questionable not just for Game 2 tomorrow night at Mellon Arena, but for the rest of the series. Only the Carolina team and its fans were upset. "I just didn't like it," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice said of Cooke's hit.

Not that Maurice has any right to complain.

Maybe Maurice spoke out publicly against one of his players, winger Scott Walker, sucker-punching Boston defenseman Aaron Ward in the previous playoff round, but, gee, I don't remember seeing that.

Hypocrites, all.

That would include your Penguins.

Sorry.

Really, the Penguins have no room to gripe, either. You saw forward Chris Kunitz's cross-check to the neck of Capitals goaltender Simeon Varlamov in the previous round? That was every bit as vicious as Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar, so brutal that Kunitz admitted he felt lucky that he wasn't suspended.

The NHL could stop all of the gratuitous stuff if it really wanted to do it. All it would have to do is stiffen its punishment. That would change the culture quickly.

But the league has no desire to do that.

The players don't appear to want tougher rules, their whining and griping about dirty hits notwithstanding. In their mind, playoff hockey means absolutely anything goes. That's why they consider it perfectly normal to shake hands with opponents after they just spent a series trying to gouge one another's eyes out.

Certainly, the majority of fans don't want harsher penalties. They love the extra rough stuff, even if it is outside of the rules ...

OK, they love it at least until one of their players gets hurt.

The fans also love the players who are the perpetrators -- as long as those players are on their team. As far as recent Penguins history goes, Jarkko Ruutu comes quickly to mind. Before him, there was Darius Kasparaitis.

And Ulf, of course.

In the early 1990s when the Penguins were winning Stanley Cups, defenseman Ulf Samuelsson was a cult hero here. He also was an openly filthy player. "The referees have their line," he once said of hockey rules. "I try to go right up to it, but, occasionally, I step over it."

One of those times was during the '91 playoffs when Samuelsson put a highly questionable leg-on-leg lick on Boston forward Cam Neely, prompting Neely to say he had no respect for Samuelsson.

A good, clean, hard hockey play, Penguins fans called it.

Jack Lambert on skates, they called Samuelsson with great respect and admiration.

But if Neely had hit Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr or -- heaven forbid -- Mario Lemieux like that ...

It is worth saying one more time:

Hypocrites, all.
Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09140/971335-87.stm
------------------------------

Interesting............discuss...

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Steelers have Stanley Cup fever

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Steelers Notebook

Steelers players are regulars at Pittsburgh Penguins games, especially during the Stanley Cup run when guys like Ben Roethlisberger, James Farrior and Jeff Reed to name a few are often seen at Mellon Arena.

Farrior enjoyed the 3-2 Penguins win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday night and plans on going back when he can.

“Any sport in this town we will support it because we know we get the same support,” said Farrior. “It was fun being out there and good seeing a win. Whatever sport they have in Pittsburgh I am that fan. I enjoy watching hockey.”

While Farrior and his teammates get a warm reception from the home crowd, the linebacker isn’t so sure the same would hold true if their former head coach came to a game this round. Bill Cowher is now living in North Carolina and has been a staple at Hurricane games, sounding the ceremonial warning siren prior to a Stanley Cup playoff game.

“I saw him do that a couple of games ago,” said Farrior. “I was hoping he would get the chance to come to Pittsburgh so he can get booed.”

Farrior joked that Cowher, who grew up in Pittsburgh, has become a turncoat.

“Definitely he has,” said Farrior. “That is where he lives now. That is where he wants to lay his loyalties. It is what it is. I hope he has the chance to come to Pittsburgh to watch a game. We will treat him real well.”

Crushzilla
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
"Hits and Hypocricy ... A case in point"
The Cooke-Cole hit was just like the Ovechkin-Gonchar hit

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

...It would be comical if it weren't so sad...

Ron Cook's writing would be comical if it weren't so sad.

That's the best I have...

Hockey's a brutal sport. People are going to take some licks. Some are going to be a nice, clean (used as a synonym for solid) hit... some are going to be sloppy, awkward, or just downright dirty.

Of course fans are going to get upset when it happens to one of their own. This is the playoffs. Fans feel incredibly invested in their "boys."

Sometimes you just need to put down the magnifying glass and enjoy the game.

I guess it is his job, though...

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Somebody will TP his house, you watch.

Crushzilla
05-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Cook or Cowher?

stlrtruck
05-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Cook or Cowher?

YES

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Cowher - lives in Raleigh.

So it would take some dedication on the TPers part to find him.

trauben
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
I hope if someone tried to do that, that Bill would kick their ass! Hell, leave the man alone! He did good for us and if he wants to root for his wife's home hockey team in order to ensure marital bliss and continued sexual relations? Then that's his choice.

Who knows who he's really supporting secretly? My bet is on the black and gold!

As far as Ron Cook and hypocrisy? Consider the source. Ron Cook sucks and writes to provoke reactions.

He is and has always been an ass. :coffee:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
As far as Ron Cook and hypocrisy? Consider the source. Ron Cook sucks and writes to provoke reactions.

He is and has always been an ass. :coffee:

:applaudit::applaudit::thumbsup:

He has his opinion and I have mine. I still don't view Cooke's hit as dirty or malicious. Think about it - why the hell would he deliberately set out to injure an opponent when he recently spoke out about AO's hit on Serg and made the remark that the NFL would fine and/or suspend him if he did the same? It makes no sense.:doh:

GeneralRobinson
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
FWIW, most of the comments from Pittsburgh fans on message boards that I have seen have been extremely objective.

Steel Head
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
FWIW, most of the comments from Pittsburgh fans on message boards that I have seen have been extremely objective.

like the one about killing Ovechkin? :doh:

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope if someone tried to do that, that Bill would kick their ass!

I think you are missing the important part.

Cowher is there in Raleigh, at their arena during Canes games, cranking on the damn siren when they score goals.

Will he be doing that when they score against the Pens?

That would make him a traitor in my book.

trauben
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I think you are missing the important part.

Cowher is there in Raleigh, at their arena during Canes games, cranking on the damn siren when they score goals.

Will he be doing that when they score against the Pens?

That would make him a traitor in my book.
I'm not missing any point.

He wasn't the coach for the Pens, he was the coach for the Steelers.

Now if he were rooting on the Panthers in the Super Bowl vs the Steelers? Yep, traitor. But if he's settling into his new home and getting into another sport's team of a different sport? Who cares! Seriously! WHO FREAKING CARES? He's gone. Its off season BS that the media is stirring. :doh:

stlrtruck
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not missing any point.

He wasn't the coach for the Pens, he was the coach for the Steelers.

Now if he were rooting on the Panthers in the Super Bowl vs the Steelers? Yep, traitor. But if he's settling into his new home and getting into another sport's team of a different sport? Who cares! Seriously! WHO FREAKING CARES? He's gone. Its off season BS that the media is stirring. :doh:

It matters to the "fanatics" who wear black and gold. While I don't quite understand it, there are those who are "loyalists" to the Pittsburgh way. And seeing as how Cowher was born and raised and coached the Pittsburgh way, it would only stand to reason that he would maintain that.

To some, he has abandoned it to some extent.

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Who cares! Seriously! WHO FREAKING CARES? He's gone. Its off season BS that the media is stirring. :doh:

Seems like you care, for one. Getting a little tense are we?

:tt03:

meanwhile

Cole skates, Ruutu still out

UPDATE, 12:31 p.m.: Cole and Dwyer will be in the lineup tonight. Ruutu is out but could return Saturday.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-skates-ruutu-still-out

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
UPDATE, 12:31 p.m.: Cole and Dwyer will be in the lineup tonight. Ruutu is out but could return Saturday.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cole-skates-ruutu-still-out

With or without Ruutu, I think tonight's game is going to be another good one. Pens have to keep their physical play and intensity up for 60 minutes, unlike Monday night when they only seemed to bring it in the 1st.

LETS GO PENS!!!! :tt03:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/PGHLADYmlg/Penguin.jpg

:tt03::applaudit: :banana:

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't care how we get it done, I just want that 2-0 lead!

whiteout in effect.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Just get the win, and we'll move on to Carolina for game 3.

LETS GO PENS!!! GET GAME 2!!!!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Game time is here! :banana:

GET 'R DONE!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Fleury with his first GREAT save of the night! :drink:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:43 PM
SCOOOOOOORE!!!! Sid makes it 1-0 Pens! :banana: :banana: :banana:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Canes tie it up. DAMN.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Canes tie it up. DAMN.

Still plenty of hockey. No panic here.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Still plenty of hockey. No panic here.

Who's panicking? :doh:

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Who's panicking? :doh:

The Doubting Dons might. You and me are not.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
GENO SCOOOOOOORES!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

2- 1 Pens!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Jokinen scores for the Canes. WTH????

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:03 PM
3-2 Canes. Guyz - you have to clear the puck!!!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Canes on PP. Letang got nailed for a high stick. PK's gotta be strong here. :hope:

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I question that 2nd Goal. I thought I heard a whistle. Did Toronto not get the memo about what plays they may want to challenge?

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Pens on the PP!!! C'mon guys - let's tie it up before the period ends! :hope:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I question that 2nd Goal. I thought I heard a whistle. Did Toronto not get the memo about what plays they may want to challenge?

I think you're right, Matt. I, too, heard the whistle a mili-second before that puck went in behind Fleury.

X-Terminator
05-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I'll tell you what, the Canes really bring it. They have been living around the front of the Pens' net so far. The Pens have to do a better job of protecting their net and clearing the puck when they get the chance.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else heard it, but some fans booed Hal Gill when he touched the puck late in the period. Way to show your support, you jackasses! :mad:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:33 PM
BTW, I don't know if anyone else heard it, but some fans booed Hal Gill when he touched the puck late in the period. Way to show your support, you jackasses! :mad:

They're not fans, Eric - they're bandwagon jumpers. We know that better than anyone as we see thousands of them at the games every time we go. :jerkit: Remember how they booed Serg during his first season?

WTH are they booing Gill? He's been as consistent as they come throughout the playoffs. You know if we were at that game tonight, I'd be telling them all to STFU. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I think you're right, Matt. I, too, heard the whistle a mili-second before that puck went in behind Fleury.

Either way, we must have amnesia and move on

I'll tell you what, the Canes really bring it. They have been living around the front of the Pens' net so far. The Pens have to do a better job of protecting their net and clearing the puck when they get the chance.

Absolutely. The Penguins are in for an offensive affair tonight at the rate this game is going.

Same goes for me.

They're not fans, Eric - they're bandwagon jumpers. We know that better than anyone as we see thousands of them at the games every time we go. :jerkit: Remember how they booed Serg during his first season?

WTH are they booing Gill? He's been as consistent as they come throughout the playoffs. You know if we were at that game tonight, I'd be telling them all to STFU. :chuckle:

Yep, and as I've said before, I wonder how many of them went during the 2001-2002 season through the 2005-2006 season when the Pens drew decently but not as full of an arena.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
WTF????? Why was Sid sent to the sin bin there???? :jawdrop:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Yep, and as I've said before, I wonder how many of them went during the 2001-2002 season through the 2005-2006 season when the Pens drew decently but not as full of an arena.

I sat in that arena during the 70's and 80's when 6,000 was a large crowd.

Eric and I sit and laugh watching these teenagers who come to the games and are too busy sending text messages to pay attention to the game. :laughing:

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
MAX TIES IT UP at 3!!!! :banana:

What a laser!

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
WTF????? Why was Sid sent to the sin bin there???? :jawdrop:

From my eyes, Sid tripped up the defender on his way down.

What a goal!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Ward seems to have trouble with the laser shots. Send in Serg, Malkin and Fedotenko to crash the net.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I sat in that arena during the 70's and 80's when 6,000 was a large crowd.

Eric and I sit and laugh watching these teenagers who come to the games and are too busy sending text messages to pay attention to the game. :laughing:

One more reason why fans like you even, don't get the respect you deserve.

People like me would rather be watching the game.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:54 PM
One more reason why fans like you even, don't get the respect you deserve.

People like me would rather be watching the game.

:hug::drink:

Getting a little chippy out there.

I see the refs aren't calling much unless it's blatantly obvious.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Holy shit - WTF was it going to take for them to call a freakin penalty??? Sid got tripped - the ref was standing right there. Then he took a high stick and it finally got called.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Lots of shots by the Pens in that PP - that's what I want to see!!! :thumbsup:

Whoa - there's a brawl a goin-on. Geno was throwing punches!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
4 on 3 coming up for the Canes. Tank got caught tripping.

Gotta stay strong! :hope:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Anyone notice how much Bylsma and Maurice look alike? :jawdrop:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
What the hell!? Getting In someones way is a penalty, WTF?

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Geno is playing like a possessed man right now.

As I type the CHRIS KUNITZ!!! FINALLY

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

HometownGal
CHRIS KUNITZ GETS HIS GOAL!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Pens up 4-3 in the waning secs of the 2nd!

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Finally Kunitz! About time!!! :tt02:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
About damn time, holy shit!

I love (hate) games like these!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Where is everyone!? These threads are usually rockin!

Edman
05-21-2009, 08:20 PM
It's going to go down to the wire. They don't call Carolina the Cardiac Canes for nothing.

No lead is safe.

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Where is everyone!? These threads are usually rockin!

:wave: I'm here.

Lets go Pens!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh God, shutup about Ovarian!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh God, shutup about Ovarian!

I hate Pens games on Versus. While play was going on in the 2nd, their female rover was interviewing an actor and his son who were in attendance at the game. I was furious. :mad:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I hate Pens games on Versus. While play was going on in the 2nd, their female rover was interviewing an actor and his son who were in attendance at the game. I was furious. :mad:

Yeah, its a joke. When will hockey be mainstream enough to be back on a real sports network?

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah, its a joke. When will hockey be mainstream enough to be back on a real sports network?

Once the NHL realizes that ESPN can be a great tool to get fans back into the league.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I really enjoyed the last couple of Pens/Caps game - they were on FSN. I know that sucks for a lot of the out-of-town fans, but it was sooooooo nice having our guys broadcasting the game.

3rd is about to get started. Lets have a kick ass period guyz! :tt02::applaudit:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Damn it. Canes tie it up at 4.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Pens on PP!!!!!

Time to get that 5th goal. :hope: :hope: :hope:

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

GENO!

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! GENO GETS HIS 2ND GOAL OF THE NIGHT TO PUT THE PENS AHEAD 5-4!!! :banana: :banana: :applaudit:

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Like I said earlier. Geno is playing possessed!

5-4 2 goals for Malkin.

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I hope Geno plays this inspired throughout the rest of the post season. We'd be nearly unstoppable.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess it's OK to trip Geno. Jackass refs.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! GENO GETS HIS 2ND GOAL OF THE NIGHT TO PUT THE PENS AHEAD 5-4!!! :banana: :banana: :applaudit:

MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I guess it's OK to trip Geno. Jackass refs.

I thought the same thing HTG.

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Its the HT for 71!!!!!

ShutDown24
WOW!!! Evgeni Malkin is OUT OF HIS MIND!

HometownGal
Here come the hats for GENOOOOOOO!!!! :hatsoff: :drink:

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Sick, sick, sick goal! wow. Awh looks at his parents, so emotional.

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Good. Just start pelting Ward with as many shots as possible now.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
AWESOME save by The Flower! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Sick, sick, sick goal! wow. Awh looks at his parents, so emotional.

I love Mr. and Mrs. Malkin! :hug: I want to take 'em home!

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I love Mr. and Mrs. Malkin! :hug: I want to take 'em home!

They are cute. :hug: They should be the Penguins mascots.

Anyway. > 2 minutes to go.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Under 3 to go.

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Game over?

Congratulations Pens! Lets sweep! :chuckle: :tt03:

HometownGal
TK with the clincher! :wave: Carolina

Pittsburghfan
Heeeeeeeeeeeeee shooots and scores!!
Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!!
up 2-0 going back to Carolina.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Satan dropping the gloves? :jawdrop: Holy shit!!! :laughing: :thumbsup:

I expect that from Letang but Satan? :chuckle:

ShutDown24
05-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow! Satan was really letting him have it!

What a cheap shot to Letang.

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
You could see Letang standing over whoever that was while Satan was fighting. Sweet! Satan dropping the gloves suprised me though.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Paul Maurice is a whiny little bitch. That is all.

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 09:22 PM
The horn sounds...finally.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Borrowing a line from Killer but changing the character . . . .

GENO IS A GOD! :drink: :bowdown:

Pittsburghfan
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
iRyO26H3GhM

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
The Pens played 60 minutes of hockey tonight and the end result was a W.

I don't take the Canes lightly even with the W tonight. They're going to be out for big revenge on Saturday.

Great game guys!

stlrtruck
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I only got to watch the 2nd and 3rd periods and while the 2nd it looked like Carolina out skated us, they didn't out score us and in the third, well that was just a great showing of professional skating.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Our D showed up in the second and Geno and company put on a clinic in the third.

So proud of our boys!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Also, anyone notice Crosby step it up another notch after Malkin got his hat trick?

Would be awesome to have a scoring competition between those two!

Steel Head
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
that was an amazing game

Geno is the man!

that coward profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilter Cane that cross checked Letang in the face needs to be suspended

X-Terminator
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Missed everything on TV after Eaves' goal since I had to leave for work, but thank God for my MP3 player's radio! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see Malkin's HT goal - it sounds like it was just ridiculous. Things looked pretty hairy there after the 1st period and about halfway through the 2nd, but from that point on, the Pens dominated the game. Malkin has taken his game to another level, and if he continues to play like this, the Canes don't have a prayer. The guy can take over a game like few others in the league and reminds me so much of Mario in his heyday when he does.

When Mike Lange said Satan had dropped the gloves with Eaves, I almost fainted! That's something I thought I'd never see, but it's great to see because it shows that Satan is really into it. And I don't really mind the end of the game rough stuff - it's playoff time - but I can live without the cheap shots. Ryan Bayda of the Canes got a match penalty for his cheap shot on Letang, which means he will be suspended at least one game. And since they're already without Tuomo Ruutu, that could end up hurting them because they do not have a lot of depth at forward.

But still...it's great that the Pens are up 2-0, I will not count the Canes out no matter how short-handed they are. They aren't going to quit and they will still give the Pens all they can handle. I still have a sneaking feeling that this series may still see a Game 7.

Great effort tonight boys!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

stlrtruck
05-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Can't wait to see Malkin's HT goal - it sounds like it was just ridiculous.

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

ESPN guys described it as, "Something I haven't seen since I was playing my buddies in NHL on nintendo"

Was it ridiculous? No, ridiculous just doesn't do it justice. I would title the picture of the shot as, "Hey Ovechkin, watch this!":rofl:

LETS GO PENS! LETS GO PENS! LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
05-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Satan throwing haymakers .... +10

The goal of the playoffs

http://trollingis.srsfkn.biz/pensblog/hatshats.gif

X-Terminator
05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
That is just friggin SICK!

Geno just took Ward's lunch money with that goal.

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
More fun news

Cowher to sound the Canes siren in Game 4

Bill Cowher grew up in Pittsburgh and coached the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship, but when the Eastern Conference championship series is held in Raleigh, Cowher will be sounding the siren for the Canes in Game 4 Tuesday night at the RBC Center at 7:30 p.m.

Won’t that be interesting with the Canes facing the Pittsburgh Penguins?

Cowher now lives in Raleigh after retiring as head coach of the Steelers. And he has been active in the community in his adopted home -- at Ravenscroft School, N.C. State and with the Canes.

He has launched the siren before in the playoffs, but not against his hometown team.
Some of the fans there expressed surprise and even harsher emotions about Cowher's link to Carolina.

"Traitor is the first thing to come to my mind," Nathan Smith said.

Cowher spoke with 99.9 FM The Fan ESPN Radio earlier this month, and was asked by Scott Jackson what he would do if the Canes and Penguins played each other. Cowher noted that he grew up in Pittsburgh and followed the Penguins then, and also followed them as coach of the Steelers.

But, he said, "I have a better feel for the Hurricanes team than the Penguins team. The Penguins are a team I grew up following. But this team here [Carolina] is starting to grow on me."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/5189041/

X-Terminator
05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that's going to go over real well up here...

What would be great is if he does that on the night the Canes are swept out of the playoffs. Not that I'm predicting that, because as I said, I refuse to count the Canes out. But it would be pretty sweet.

OneForTheToe
05-22-2009, 12:34 AM
The only thing I could think of after Geno's third goal was that it was Lemieux like. That is the type of "sick" shot that mario would make sometimes to just rip the heart out of the other team.

I think we really need to make sure that Geno gets pissed off before he plays. When he gets riled up he seems to go into beast mode in these playoffs. So, Sid and the boys just got to find away to get him mad berfore each playoff game and we will be unstoppable.

Galax Steeler
05-22-2009, 03:36 AM

The goal of the playoffs

That was a great shot.:hatsoff:

HometownGal
05-22-2009, 07:04 AM

The goal of the playoffs

That was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen! :applaudit::hatsoff: Thanks for posting it Killer! :hug:

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Pens are in their heads now.....cheapshots are all they have left

From the Toronto Sun.
There will be a league review later today, but it is expected Bayda will draw a suspension for Game 3 for the cross-check he administered to Kris Letang while he was touching up for an icing call in the final minutes of the Pens 7-4 win over the 'Canes in Game 2.
Looks like the league is 110% serious about punishing those who "send a message" after a game has been all but decided.

PITTSBURGH -- It took two games, but the bad blood is finally bubbling in the Eastern Conference final.

Tempers boiled over in the final moments of the Pittsburgh Penguins 7-4 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes last night in Game 2 of this Eastern Conference final, a melee that might leave Canes forward Ryan Bayda paying the price.

Bayda received a match penalty at 18:41 of the third period for "attempting to injure." Under Rule 21 of the NHL rule book, Bayda is suspended one game pending a league review, which is expected to take place today.

Bayda apparently administered a vicious cross check to Kris Letang, which caused the Pens defenceman to snap. Letang responded by dropping the gloves with Canes defenceman Tim Gleason, earning a fighting major and game misconduct in the process.

---------------------------------

2-0 makes me happy.

Now, who was telling me home ice wasn't important?

Steel Head
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Bayda sucks anyways, the pu$$y wouldn't even fight Letang after that

Carolina played really dirty. I thought Seidenberg's knee-to-knee hit on Adams was the dirtiest one yet.

HometownGal
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I was kind of shocked at Bayda's cheap shot as I've never viewed the Canes as a dirty kind of team. I really don't think the Canes will miss him in their lineup.

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I was kind of shocked at Bayda's cheap shot as I've never viewed the Canes as a dirty kind of team. I really don't think the Canes will miss him in their lineup.

No matter what, you still have to play. :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I just think it's cool Malkin can speak now

"I play the same; it's maybe a good day for me tonight," he said. "I try to play the same. Of course it feels great. It feels awesome. It's my first hat trick in playoffs."

More great quotes...

Well, the faceoff play. It was called the 'Geno' for a reason," Bylsma said. "There's not many players in the world that can make a play like that, and two of them are on our team."

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
"Book em Dano!"

The Mike Lange audio highlights of game 2.

http://downloads.penguins.nhl.com/podcasts/090521hilites.mp3

"And Cam Ward just lost his liquor license"

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I really don't think the Canes will miss him in their lineup.

They won't have to

NHL rules $2,500 fine, no suspension.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
On a side note, and maybe I am just being a homer here, but has anyone else noticed that 90% of the time when a Pens player gets penalized, they don't show a replay so you just have to take their word for it?