PDA

View Full Version : Techie... DONE Kinda

Preacher
05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, I am posting from my new machine... It is VERY fast. Specs later.. and pics.

The one problem? I can only get one vid card to work... remember, I am only trying to get 4 screens, not trying to SLI the cards.

So I am going to pull the card the computer recognizes out tomorrow and start with the other card... the power house card.

Let's see what that does.

SteelersinCA
05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
make sure you have the 280 in the x16 slot.

Preacher
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
make sure you have the 280 in the x16 slot.

Yeah, I did that. I am going to pull out the Sparkle card and try and boot with ONLY the 280-- after clearing out the drivers and and uninstalling the card. I hope that'll do it. I REALLY don't wana RMA the thing.

Preacher
05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
IT CRASHED!!!

I was updating the bios. Didn't recognize the OS aftwards :doh:

Used the restore point after about an hour of dealing with it. Luckily, it is working again. Now on to fixing the vid card. Arghhh

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2009, 09:50 PM
IT CRASHED!!!. Arghhh

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/416/chimp.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chimp.jpg)

SteelersinCA
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd wait on a bios update until you have it running for a week or two, no need to update the bios right away, make sure she's stable first

Preacher
05-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I'd wait on a bios update until you have it running for a week or two, no need to update the bios right away, make sure she's stable first

Alright... Up and running... all four screens running good... That's right.. FOUR.

Also figured out what the crash was... Computer was trying to boot off a external HD.

Pics to come.

stillers4me
05-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Nice job, Preacher! My son can build computers from scratch. This time around, he just bought one and will beef it up as he goes along.

I bet it feels good to have done it all yourself!

SteelersinCA
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice work!

Preacher
05-16-2009, 11:41 AM
OK. The card works. 2verything works ansd it MOVES. However while rendering video core temps get up into the 90's C. So I am going to replace the stock heat sink and paste

MACH1
05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
If you have an extra plug on the inside, you could add a extra fan on the inside.:noidea:

SteelersinCA
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
The core temps on the CPU or the GPU? Either one is not so bueno but just curious. The thing you have to be careful about with the Antec 900 is most of the popular CPU fans won't fit in the case unless you remove the side fan mounting bracket.

Preacher
05-17-2009, 12:16 AM
The core temps on the CPU or the GPU? Either one is not so bueno but just curious. The thing you have to be careful about with the Antec 900 is most of the popular CPU fans won't fit in the case unless you remove the side fan mounting bracket.

Sorry, those are core temps. I gotta get that down.. Funny, it is always the third core that is the highest. I don't know if it is a problem with the chip or a problem with the heat sink or with the paste.

Gotta do some work, and do it fast so I don't lose out on the RMA

SteelersinCA
05-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Core 3 runs higher for some reason on i7 chips. I found the stock cpu fan to be miserable on the i7. I have a 920 and in the 900 case it was cool until it got under load. I imagine the video rendering is putting a lot of load on the chip. I couldn't keep my temps down enough with the stock cooler.

The 940 is a overclocked version of the 920, so I am not surprised you are having heat issues. I have the Noctua i7 cooler the NH12P or something like that. Read newegg and see if it will fit in the 900. I have my 920 OC'd to 3.8 and it never gets close to 75c even under 100% load.

Preacher
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Core 3 runs higher for some reason on i7 chips. I found the stock cpu fan to be miserable on the i7. I have a 920 and in the 900 case it was cool until it got under load. I imagine the video rendering is putting a lot of load on the chip. I couldn't keep my temps down enough with the stock cooler.

The 940 is a overclocked version of the 920, so I am not surprised you are having heat issues. I have the Noctua i7 cooler the NH12P or something like that. Read newegg and see if it will fit in the 900. I have my 920 OC'd to 3.8 and it never gets close to 75c even under 100% load.

Yeah, I am headed down to the store today to buy an aftermarket fan and paste... See how that works.

Other than that, the thing is LIGHTNING QUICK. Well, that could also be the RAID 0 on the Velociraptors?! :noidea:

:chuckle:

Preacher
05-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Got it..

THe fan/soml os a CoolerMaster Hyper N620. Used Artic Silver 5 paste... just a thin line across the chip...

Core temps have dropped from the 47 to 52 range across the cores at idle, to the 33-38 range C.

Ran it on a game... and the highest core temp was 5-, lowest 45.

Even ran

Real Temp sensor test only drives it up to 56 at the highest.. it WAS going up into the 80's.

Prime 95 pushes it into the low mid 60's.

I dont know, but I think I may have heat issues resolved!!

Hammer67
05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
If you have an Nvidia card...the stock fan settings keep it at 35% or near about that. You need to grap a program called "RivaTuner" and tweak the fan. I have no idea why Nvidia does this or why they don't offer fan control in their drivers. I set mine to run at about 75%.

SteelersinCA
05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Got it..

THe fan/soml os a CoolerMaster Hyper N620. Used Artic Silver 5 paste... just a thin line across the chip...

Core temps have dropped from the 47 to 52 range across the cores at idle, to the 33-38 range C.

Ran it on a game... and the highest core temp was 5-, lowest 45.

Even ran

Real Temp sensor test only drives it up to 56 at the highest.. it WAS going up into the 80's.

Prime 95 pushes it into the low mid 60's.

I dont know, but I think I may have heat issues resolved!!

Yup you did! Good work.

Preacher
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
If you have an Nvidia card...the stock fan settings keep it at 35% or near about that. You need to grap a program called "RivaTuner" and tweak the fan. I have no idea why Nvidia does this or why they don't offer fan control in their drivers. I set mine to run at about 75%.

Thanks.... Can't do it iright now, but that is good to know... I will take care of that is a day or so!!!