PDA

View Full Version : NObama: Steelers' Harrison Says He'll Skip White House Visit

mesaSteeler
05-15-2009, 11:16 PM
NObama: Steelers' Harrison Says He'll Skip White House Visit
Steelers Linebacker Also Skipped 2006 Visit
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19477962/detail.html

POSTED: 11:41 pm EDT May 15, 2009
Visit] [EMAIL: NObama: Steelers' Harrison Says He'll Skip White House Visit]
PITTSBURGH -- When the Super Bowl XLIII champion Pittsburgh Steelers make their trip to the White House Thursday, one of the players largely responsible for their victory over the Arizona Cardinals says he won't be attending.

Linebacker James Harrison said he'll pass on the invite from President Barack Obama.

WTAE Channel 4 Action News anchor Andrew Stockey caught up with the NFL Defensive Player of the Year at Friday's Legends for Charity Gala hosted by University of Pittsburgh head football coach Dave Wannstedt.

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

Harrison also skipped the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006 following their victory in Super Bowl XL.

fansince'76
05-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Can't say I really blame Harrison. To me, these things have always seemed forced and disingenuous. I'm much more looking forward to the unveiling of the SB XLIII ring and the ceremony surrounding that, personally.

Preacher
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't know, when the president invites you, you go.

mesaSteeler
05-15-2009, 11:37 PM

I have to agree. It is a great honor, not matter which individual or party is holding the office at the time, when you invited by the President to the White House.

lilyoder6
05-15-2009, 11:39 PM
but the president isn't inviting you"him".. he is inviting the team... and it's been tradition for a while and not like this came out of the blue..

tony hipchest
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
i dont get it.

i feel that if you get an invite to the white house, you almost have a nationalistic obligation to attend.

personally, i would never pass on the honor and opportunity.

but i do get that james is too cool for school, and probably woulda turned down a trip to disneyworld had he been named SB MVP.

chuck norris doesnt make trips to go see the president. the president makes appointments in hopes of coming to see him.

fansince'76
05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
But it is like Harrison said - if the Cards would have won, they'd have gotten the invite instead. I just fail to see the point, other than a photo op. :noidea:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I just fail to see the point, other than a photo op. :noidea:

And we saw what happened with the last photo op they tried to pull off in the New York sky.

Preacher
05-16-2009, 12:17 AM
But it is like Harrison said - if the Cards would have won, they'd have gotten the invite instead. I just fail to see the point, other than a photo op. :noidea:

Yeah, this definitely isn't a politics thing for Harrison.

I gotta agree with Tony. You go, you respect the office. If he wants a photo op... he gets it. It isn't like the president is doing something new here.

Least James didn't start talking about wanting his money back!!!

wootawnee
05-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah Jimmie You gotta stick to your heart.....it is never wrong.......You blow me away with this stance........I feel you got alot to teach people.......I would not take it personally if I were the Prez.........I would take it as an honor......It would make me feel like any other ordinary person which he actually is........God bless our freedoms and this ones yours and I am 100% behind you cause it is your right to have.........Start working on your new moves to unleash this year on those o-tackles cause we all got things to learn........Keep trying new things.....You'll find em..........Peace out.........

ps.......This was my favorite tackle ever...........

http://5goldenrings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/james-harrison-sticks-it-to-ed-reed.jpg

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I just fail to see the point, other than a photo op. :noidea:i've been to washington twice as a kid for 1-2 day vacation.

seen the smithsonian, the mint, toured the washington monument, and walked down by the reflecting pool to the lincoln memorial, and on to the viet nam memorial.

to this day, i would still trade it all in just to tour the white house and walk on the grounds that some of this words finest leaders have called home.

but thats just me, and i respect james decision. he would probably rather be back at home lifting weights and preparing for the titans. he is the man.

personally, i would never pass on the opportunity to be honored by the president, let alone to tour his house.

mesaSteeler
05-16-2009, 12:56 AM
The more I think about this the more it seems to me that James is being a bit petulant.

I'm sure there will be caustic articles from the likes of the ignorant tool Florio harshly criticizing Harrison and by the extension the Steelers and their fans, over his decision.

fansince'76
05-16-2009, 01:00 AM
The more I think about this the more it seems to me that James is being a bit petulant.

I'm sure there will be caustic articles from the likes of the ignorant tool Florio harshly criticizing Harrison and by the extension the Steelers and their fans, over his decision.

Good point - the sports media, by and large, for whatever reason seems to relish shitting all over us anyway. This will definitely give them ammo. "You'd never see the likes of Brady or Manning turning down a Presidential invite to the White House! Who the hell does Harrison think he is, anyway?" :rolleyes: :yawn:

paw-n-maul-u
05-16-2009, 01:19 AM
i've been to washington twice as a kid for 1-2 day vacation.

seen the smithsonian, the mint, toured the washington monument, and walked down by the reflecting pool to the lincoln memorial, and on to the viet nam memorial.

to this day, i would still trade it all in just to tour the white house and walk on the grounds that some of this words finest leaders have called home.

but thats just me, and i respect james decision. he would probably rather be back at home lifting weights and preparing for the titans. he is the man.

personally, i would never pass on the opportunity to be honored by the president, let alone to tour his house.

man, you nailed it. There is so much about American foreign policy, health care, taxes, rep. v. dem. etc. etc. that I disagree with. But if the President of the United States extends you a formal invitation ... (EVEN IF IT WAS FROM THAT BUMBLING FOOL DUBYA) ... you go. You pay your respects and feel honored to be given such a privilege. To each his own I guess, but still just dumbfounds me.

hopefully this is the biggest news of the offseason

pancake
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
If I had the honor to visit the White House, I would go. Even if Bush was president and I couldn't stand the guy.

Galax Steeler
05-16-2009, 04:33 AM
I would have to say I would accept the invite but everyone has there oppinions.

SteelersJW
05-16-2009, 06:12 AM
It continues to amaze me how much of a badass Jimmie Harrison is. I mean, who just [I]shuts down[I] an invitation to the white house? Jimmie's just trying to keep up his hardcore image and I say he's doing a good job.

rbryan
05-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Whose going to tell him to his face that he's wrong?

HometownGal
05-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Whelp - it's his decision and I respect it. That being said, however, I'm with the majority here who wouldn't turn down an invite to the White House even if I'm not all bubbly about the Prez.

I attended the White House wedding of Nicole Boxer and Tony Rodham back in 1994 and I considered it an honor to attend in my boss' (the late Catherine Baker Knoll) stead. I was blessed to experience the White House "on the other side" and it was an experience I will always cherish and never forget.

RJC
05-16-2009, 07:24 AM
He's trying too hard to be edgy. Too hard to be "hard". Makes him look ignorant. There's a chance there for him and the team to meet, and get to know a President who has strong ties to the Rooney's and their organization. You make those contacts. You represent your empolyer with pride. Chance to Network with a guy you may never cross paths with otherwise. After the public support Obama game the Steelers, you do not disrespect him in that manner. Classless. Sorry, but it is....

Psyychoward86
05-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Eh.......a little controversial. I hope Obama doesnt take it the wrong way.

stillers4me
05-16-2009, 07:43 AM
All I know is that he doesn't turn down the chance to meet his real fans........I have proof of that.

And who cares what Obama thinks of it anyway? For him, it's just another photo op.

scsteeler
05-16-2009, 08:11 AM
All I know is that he doesn't turn down the chance to meet his real fans........I have proof of that.

And who cares what Obama thinks of it anyway? For him, it's just another photo op.

Obama Picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. He kept the tradition of inviting the Winning team to the White house and if he had not done this there would be a lot of talk from people that don't like him that he is snubbing the team. The fact that Harrison does not want to go is his personal choice and I don't understand it but its his choice.

I would go if invited.

stillers4me
05-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Obama Picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. He kept the tradition of inviting the Winning team to the White house and if he had not done this there would be a lot of talk from people that don't like him that he is snubbing the team. The fact that Harrison does not want to go is his personal choice and I don't understand it but its his choice.

I would go if invited.

It's Harrison's chioce as an American citizen whether to go or not. My guess is that he actually voted for Obama, or didn't vote at all.

Now, if he gets ordered by the White to make an appearance or else, than we really have a reason to worry.

I don't recall a hubbub being made about his decision not to meet Bush. I guess it's only a 'no-no' to turn down an invitation by Der Fehurer. :noidea:

Is it September, yet? :banging:

Give It To Abercrombie
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
... (EVEN IF IT WAS FROM THAT BUMBLING FOOL DUBYA) ...

sigh

:coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Hmmmmm....Anyone know who was the first Superbowl winning team to go to the White House.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Wow if he gets ORDERED?lol

Hope Obama doesn't take it the wrong way? Boy if he pisses off obama we may have a Steeler tax next?lol

First off who cares if he is pissed off, dissappointed etc. James has every right to just say no.
As one poster stated, "My guess is that he actually voted for Obama, or didn't vote at all. " Well since you want to assume, perhaps he was wise enough and didn't vote for him?
Perhaps he didn't like the big hoopla about the Rooneys "buttying" up with Obama.
Its not like Obama is going to ask him about security. He has lessor qualified people running that show now than James, lol
Regardless of our thoguhts.

James gave a clear reason why, he didn't do it in the past, and not to bring race into but since Obama is closer in part (depending on the vote he wants to get that day) to James race, and James still doesn't want to go.
I respect that even more.

Sorry for rambling.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Lamberts tooth, I"m guessing the Raiders with Carter.
But usually I'm good at googling, I can not find the right key words that don't blast Obama's name in all the results.lol

Apparently his techy guys like to make sure when you google stupid stuff his name is still out there, LOL

Steeldude
05-16-2009, 09:05 AM
this is why i like harrison. who cares about the president's invite? i wouldn't go either. obama is just another person who has a certain job. although it is a very important job, it is still just a job.

stillers4me
05-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm thinking he's of the mind that all politicians are nothing but lying scumbags that aren't worth his time.

Smart man, our James.

scsteeler
05-16-2009, 10:42 AM
It's Harrison's chioce as an American citizen whether to go or not. My guess is that he actually voted for Obama, or didn't vote at all.

Now, if he gets ordered by the White to make an appearance or else, than we really have a reason to worry.

I don't recall a hubbub being made about his decision not to meet Bush. I guess it's only a 'no-no' to turn down an invitation by Der Fehurer. :noidea:

You make a great point that he did not meet Bush and this post about him meeting Obama should not be that big of a deal. My point was and still is that this invite has been done for long time to the winning Super Bowl team and that tradition is still being kept now no matter who the President is! By the Way I did not know Hitler was still Alive.

As I stated I would go but its his choice to go or not go. God gave us freewill and some use that to bring about good in the world no matter what the situation and others see the world through their own blinders and criticize everything with no solution on how to make things better.

I am wondering where the statements of him being ordered to are coming from and invitation was given and not a directive.

Vincent
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
The more I hear of Mrs. Harrison's son James, the more I like that young man. He's just a real individual.

His list of deeds becomes more legendary with each episode - planting the stains "fan", hurdling Tomlinson, singlehandedly trashing the rats on MNF, That freakin SBXII TD, and on and on and on. Yet he appreciates his fans and disses the limelight.

A great Steeler. :tt02::tt::helmet::tt::tt02:

The Duke
05-16-2009, 04:24 PM

hey, what do you know ....

Um.

Um.

Um.

James, are you OK? Have you suffered any recent blunt trauma to the brain box?

Itís a ritual in this country that the major-league teams winning championships are invited to the White House for a visit.

So, yeah, the invitation applies only to the Super Bowl champs. Itís one of the things that make the accomplishment special.

And, no, the President doesnít have the time or the desire to invite the 31 teams that didnít win the Super Bowl to conduct seven-on-sevens in the Rose Garden. (After all, that might cut into the time he has allotted to work on his NCAA brackets.)

But, hey, at least we now have a better understanding of how the Steelers got Harrison to sign a long-term deal worth only $51 million.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/16/james-harrison-wont-go-to-the-white-house/

:puke: I hate posting PFT garbage. I apologize in advance for clogging up SF with this junk

profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter Florio!!

Steelerfreak58
05-16-2009, 04:38 PM
That's the great thing about America you get the freedom to choose where you want to go and when you want to do it. Harrison is exercising that right.

AllD
05-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Have to disagree with Harrison too. This is not a personal visit, it is protocol. Even Forrest Gump understood that.

The Pirates and the Steelers went to see Carter in 1979. If they could do that then Harrison can see Obama. Sometimes you have to do things that you do not want to do, for the greater good of the team. It will reflect poorly on him, but he probably does not care anyway. He has a chance to be a hero and he goes introverted. I hope it is not an attitude problem.

CPanther95
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I would go.

If James asked my opinion, I'd tell him he should go.

But I LOVE the fact that he isn't going.

CPanther95
05-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Have to disagree with Harrison too. This is not a personal visit, it is protocol. Even Forrest Gump understood that.

Is it protocol to moon the President as well? :chuckle:

Milkman
05-16-2009, 06:59 PM
You gotta give Silverback credit for not being "a flip-flopper".

He's consistent in that he didn't go after SB XL and now.

He has his standards which is a lot more than I could say for a lot of people I know.

:tt03:

fansince'76
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM

The Pirates and the Steelers went to see Carter in 1979. If they could do that then Harrison can see Obama. Sometimes you have to do things that you do not want to do, for the greater good of the team. It will reflect poorly on him, but he probably does not care anyway. He has a chance to be a hero and he goes introverted. I hope it is not an attitude problem.

He's been known to shun the limelight. I think his play the last two seasons should alleviate any worries about an "attitude problem" - the man has left everything he has out on the field every game. Besides, he skipped going in '06 too. I also fail to see what "good" it would do for the team for him to be there. If he doesn't want to go, that's his right.

fansince'76
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM
That's the great thing about America you get the freedom to choose where you want to go and when you want to do it. Harrison is exercising that right.

The problem is if you make the "wrong" choice, you catch a bunch of shit for it. See the majority of the posts in this thread for instance.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey maybe he will visit him next time ... :chuckle:

The Definiti0n
05-17-2009, 06:18 AM
James Harrison defintely lost on this one. Someone tell James its a tradition to invite the winner of the Superbowl, BCS Championship game,NCAA Tourney, NBA Finals,World Series and any other major sport to the White House.

Steelerroy
05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
It's his right to go or not to go and it's crazy that people on cyber boards are bashing him.Not to be political but that's how things are turning in this country,if you don't agree(fall in line) with the majority you're a bad person and attacked.I've been arguing this for two says on another board and the hate he's getting is scary.

DACEB
05-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Ha, do your thing James! A man still has freedom of choice, doesn't he?

Give It To Abercrombie
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM

How in the world does it reflect poorly on him? Just because someone does not choose to follow a tradition they are a bad person or have an attitude problem? Know any ladies who didn't take their husband's name when they got married? Maybe they should be called out as having bad attitudes. Traditions aren't always followed, whoop-de-do.

Give It To Abercrombie
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
James Harrison defintely lost on this one. Someone tell James its a tradition to invite the winner of the Superbowl, BCS Championship game,NCAA Tourney, NBA Finals,World Series and any other major sport to the White House.

If I said it was tradition to smash yourself in the foot with a hammer before you post on this message board, would you? Who cares?

T Bradshaw
05-17-2009, 04:49 PM

PITTSBURGH -- When the Super Bowl XLIII champion Pittsburgh Steelers make their trip to the White House Thursday, one of the players largely responsible for their victory over the Arizona Cardinals says he won't be attending.

Linebacker James Harrison said he'll pass on the invite from President Barack Obama.

WTAE Channel 4 Action News anchor Andrew Stockey caught up with the NFL Defensive Player of the Year at Friday's Legends for Charity Gala hosted by University of Pittsburgh head football coach Dave Wannstedt.

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

Harrison also skipped the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006 following their victory in Super Bowl XL.

SMART MOVE
I have a great deal of respect for Mr James

steelwall
05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree let the man do what he wants' He's focused on football not photo ops.

HometownGal
05-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Know any ladies who didn't take their husband's name when they got married? Maybe they should be called out as having bad attitudes.

I wouldn't say they have bad attitudes, Abercrombie, but imho that's deplorable. Guess my opinion is stuck in the 60's and 70's when I was brought up.

James is going to do what he feels is right. Got to love the U. S. of A. and its freedoms. :usa: :salute:

CPanther95
05-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Know any ladies who didn't take their husband's name when they got married?

None without short fingernails and lots of flannel.

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2009, 06:31 PM
if i had my choice between going to meet the president, or going to meet james harrison....... nice to meet ya mr harrison..:wave: ..... i have zero interest in meeting backstabbing liars (politicians).... though i would like to see the inside of the whithouse, but only because i like old building architecture...:popcorn:

fansince'76
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Yep, it just made Yahoo's front page. The idiots are beginning to pile on. :coffee:

Mr. Harrison isn't going to Washington; Steeler spurns Obama

By Chris Chase

On Thursday, President Obama will welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to the White House to honor the team for its recent Super Bowl victory. But, just like in 2006 when the Steelers had a post-title meeting with George W. Bush, defensive MVP (and Super Bowl hero) James Harrison won't be in attendance. But he has a reason:

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won."

Usually, when a sentence begins with "as far as I'm concerned," it ends with an opinion, not an incontrovertible fact. Harrison's comment is akin to saying, "As far as I'm concerned, George Washington was the first president."

Of course the Cards would have received the White House invite if they had won. Winners get to go meet the president, losers don't. They also get the trophy, the parade and those hats that say "Super Bowl champs". I don't think James Harrison turned down any of those things, which makes his refusal to go to the White House a tad hypocritical. (It isn't Harrison who receives the trophy, Einstein, it's the TEAM that does. :dang:)

When Harrison won the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award, he didn't decline and say, "As far as he was concerned, they would've given this award to someone else if they had had a better defensive season." And when he scored that touchdown in the Super Bowl after returning an interception 100 yards, I'm pretty sure Harrison didn't tell the ref to take the points of the board because, as far as he was concerned, if Larry Fitzgerald had caught him, he wouldn't have scored. (What sound, logical reasoning - for a second grader, maybe - for anybody older than that, it's just stupid. :rolleyes:)

As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison is sort of a fool. If he doesn't want to go to the White House, fine. (Um, no, apparently it's not "fine," hence this idiotic blog) (Although I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to meet the President of the United States.) But don't make a lame excuse in an attempt to justify your decision. Leave that for NFL refeeres. (Nice "subtle" shot there. :rolleyes: BTW, it's r-e-f-e-r-e-e-s, dumbass)

Another douchebag blogger who thinks his opinion's somehow important :yawn: (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Mr-Harrison-isn-t-going-to-Washington-Steeler-?urn=nfl,163886)

Steel_12
05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
As a minority, why would you not want to meet the first minority President of the United States? Hell it would be an honor to meet any President. To me, his reason for not going doesn't make sense. There's gotta be another reason...has to be!

86WARD
05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Harrison's being a dope here...if you don't want to go, don't go...but no need to announce it...

Get over yourself James...

X-Terminator
05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
You people bashing Harrison...did you ever stop to think that maybe he dislikes politicians in general, and has no desire to be around any of them? If that's the case, I can't blame him. Politicians suck, and rate lower than lawyers on the scumbag scale.

He has the right to his view. Deal with it.

Good on ya, James.

fansince'76
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Harrison's being a dope here...if you don't want to go, don't go...but no need to announce it...

Get over yourself James...

He's the Defensive Player of the Year and he doesn't want to go - of COURSE it's going to get airplay. I also sincerely doubt he called a special press conference to make the announcement. Wasn't such a big deal when he was still riding the pine behind Peezy 3 years ago and did the EXACT SAME THING, now was it?

redst3
05-18-2009, 04:37 AM
:banging:

Youre kidding, right? You are actually comparing Obama to Hitler. That's a joke, right?

Otherwise....I think you guys have it all wrong. Its a free country, and Harrison can do as he pleases. The President isn't royalty, Harrison's not obligated.

That's just me.....

stillers4me
05-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Post edited. Forget it. It's not worth it.

You'll all get it long before the next 4 years is up.

realdeal
05-18-2009, 08:31 AM
James didn't go the first time! I heard he doesn't like the short notice they give the players.

You ladies are making this a bigger deal than it really is. He's not being "edgey", he's just being James! Plus that will take time away from the weight room.

Dino 6 Rings
05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't want him wasting time going to Washington, he's got to keep busy eating kittens, kicking puppies and violently beating in the heads of people that aren't dressed in black and gold.

SilverBack has no time for Celebrating or meeting anyone other than Real Steeler Fans. He didn't go meet Bush, he'd be a hypocrit if he went to meet B.O.

I'm behind you James, keep drinking that blood and eating raw meat, you have to get into shape for the season.

stlrtruck
05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
I could care less if the team shows up or not. In reality, he didn't do it last time and he's not doing it this time. What's the difference (other than the president)?

The only difference is that Porter isn' t on the team this year and Harrison is the DPOY.

I'd have to agree, that this is being blown way out of the water.

pitt
05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I always thought the White House visit was a silly ritual. I'm glad to see Harrison walk away from it.

SteelersMongol
05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
WTH? This isn't cool Mr.Harrison. He (Obama) said the Steelers R his second favorite team, & he openly supported us 2 win the SB. I don't care if U like the President or not, U must go, cuz it's tradition.

trauben
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

[B]Harrison also skipped the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006 following their victory in Super Bowl XL.
Where were the articles when he skipped the XL photo op with Bush?

Please don't tell me this is only hitting the wires and message boards because it's Barry?

Oh yeah, I forgot, silly me, we're all supposed to be in awe and admiration of the chosen one. :jerkit:

For all of you mentioning this as a political move, obviously it's not (since he set a precedence prior by not attending after XL).

I must say I have respect for someone who is consistent in their opinion on something regardless of the current "popular" or "PC" comments of others. Silverback continues to feel this way regardless of who's in office, and for that I give him credit for sticking to his guns.
I'm much more looking forward to the unveiling of the SB XLIII ring and the ceremony surrounding that, personally.
Ditto here! :drink:

Was this stated after XL? If it wasn't, then nobody should say a damned word now. :coffee:

Eh.......a little controversial. I hope Obama doesnt take it the wrong way.
He's a narcissist. Of course he'll take it personally.
He's trying too hard to be edgy. Too hard to be "hard". Makes him look ignorant. There's a chance there for him and the team to meet, and get to know a President who has strong ties to the Rooney's and their organization. You make those contacts. You represent your empolyer with pride. Chance to Network with a guy you may never cross paths with otherwise. After the public support Obama game the Steelers, you do not disrespect him in that manner. Classless. Sorry, but it is....
Again, he did it before. Why is it an issue 'this time'?
I don't recall a hubbub being made about his decision not to meet Bush. I guess it's only a 'no-no' to turn down an invitation by Der Fehurer.
EXACTLY! :thmbup:

steelreserve
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I have to agree. It is a great honor, not matter which individual or party is holding the office at the time, when you invited by the President to the White House.

Screw being invited. I'd be like, "I won the Super Bowl. I don't need no invitation. I'm goin' anyway."

fansince'76
05-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Please don't tell me this is only hitting the wires and message boards because it's Barry?

For once, I honestly don't think it is - Harrison was Peezy's backup the first time around. This time he is the DPOY, and that's why I think it's getting a lot more attention. Actually, that's why it's even getting any attention at all this time, because I personally don't remember anything being said about it 3 years ago. They (the media) can't play the racial angle on this, and they can't play the partisan angle on it either, seeing how he skipped the WH visit 3 years ago. However, Harrison is a star player now, whereas 3 years ago he was a 2nd stringer and ST player who was only really known up to that point for bodyslamming a drunk Browns fan. What else could it be?

trauben
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
For once, I honestly don't think it is - Harrison was Peezy's backup the first time around. This time he is the DPOY, and that's why I think it's getting a lot more attention. Actually, that's why it's even getting any attention at all this time, because I personally don't remember anything being said about it 3 years ago. They (the media) can't play the racial angle on this, and they can't play the partisan angle on it either, seeing how he skipped the WH visit 3 years ago. However, Harrison is a star player now, whereas 3 years ago he was a 2nd stringer and ST player who was only really known up to that point for bodyslamming a drunk Browns fan. What else could it be?

You make a valid point, but with the MSM these days and their on-going love affair with BO, I'd venture to say some, and I say "some", are going to spin it only because it's BO.

Personally? Despite this being my Steelers this year? I'd rather BO had kept the tradition of observing National Prayer Day instead. :noidea:

MJ5150
05-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Geez. Just go already. You play on a TEAM, and your TEAM was invited.

What's the deal James? You got a bunch of money and now you're too big to go visit the lowly President? What a tool. Hopefully his agent slaps some sense into him, or maybe Hines will.

-Mike

SteelersinCA
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
It's only a story because people love to hate the Champs.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Well, this time he's passing up a trip to see the Messiah - it's sacriligious.

I expect full page headlines all across the kingdom....."Heretic!"

SteelStang
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Make plays on Sunday James and you're A.O.K. with me!

austinfrench76
05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Uh, isn't that like saying if you aren't drafted you shouldn't play in the NFL cause they drafted someone else?! It's the president, you go!!!

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
"Who's gonna make me go - you?"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/01/09/2008611619.jpg

stlrtruck
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Uh, isn't that like saying if you aren't drafted you shouldn't play in the NFL cause they drafted someone else?! It's the president, you go!!!

I would say the two are completely different. For example when some players go undrafted they sign a UDFA contract with teams. Some make it, some don't, some quit, some don't.

If he's not in to the pomp and circumstance then C-YA! Enjoy your down time while the team is gallavanting around DC.

The_WARDen
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
It's a reward for actually winning the Super Bowl! What a maroon!

:doh:

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's the video of the entire interview - so he was attempting to make a joke. It didn't go well.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-534/Video--Harrison-rejects-White-House-visit.html

We all know he's a bit odd. He just doesn't think it's that important to him. Whatever.

Now get out there and hit somebody.

thumper
05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
When the gov. - including the White House - is no longer owned and controlled by the banker elite and their minions, then you go. Right now, we don't truly have elected officials who serve "we the people" at this point.

http://www.populistamerica.com/how_the_federal_reserve_runs_the_us

James gave both parties the biotch, as well he should; they are the same thing, under the rule of the bankers. How else does our gov. give 1 trillion bucks to the bankers and not even request that they tell us where it went? Wake up

thumper
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM
It's a free country. If he doesn't want to go, then he doesn't have to and there should be no punishment for it. I love how this guy refuses to be anything but angry and using that as his fuel. LOVE this guy

4xSBChamps
05-18-2009, 01:30 PM
It's a free country. If he doesn't want to go, then he doesn't have to and there should be no punishment for it. I love how this guy refuses to be anything but angry and using that as his fuel. LOVE this guy

Skip Clueless in ESPN just said this very thing, that Harrison is using this, to keep a 'chip on his shoulder', to stay-motivated, proving that the big-money doesn't mean a thing to him, so that he'll be as-hungry come the beginning of the season:
he ain't hurting anybody, not hurting the reputation of the team, the League, nor the office of the President, and it's his decision.

I believe I've heard that he didn't go see GB43 after winning SBXL 3 years ago, and nothing was said then, so what's the big-deal this time?

:noidea:

MONTANA GRIZ
05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I though the interview was funny, something you don't see from James very often. Gotta love hearing him talk about 10 or 11 rings, I like how he is thinking!

But,it is an honor to be invitied to the WH, something I would never turn down.

thumper
05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I though the interview was funny, something you don't see from James very often. Gotta love hearing him talk about 10 or 11 rings, I like how he is thinking!

But,it is an honor to be invitied to the WH, something I would never turn down.

And that's the point. JH isn't saying how YOU or anyone else should feel about it. You have your right to view it as an honor and he has his right to refuse to go. That's what America is supposed to be about.

4xSBChamps
05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
And that's the point. JH isn't saying how YOU or anyone else should feel about it. You have your right to view it as an honor and he has his right to refuse to go. That's what America is supposed to be about.

..... how-much longer America remains like this is open for debate

:mad:

St33lersguy
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Wouldn't blame him.

zsheik22
05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
i've been to washington twice as a kid for 1-2 day vacation.

I've done enough for them. Id rather have a towel that Harrison wiped his sweat off on.

Preacher
05-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Come on... let's leave politics out of this. Last time, Harrison wasn't the DPOY, didn't have a 100 yard INT run at the end of the half, and wasn't number 2 in sacks in the league.

I think there is a bit of difference.

thumper
05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
..... how-much longer America remains like this is open for debate

:mad:

It barely exists now. When they add our war veterans who don't believe in the current wars on the "likely terrorist list" you know freedom is nearly dead.

zsheik22
05-18-2009, 04:36 PM
It barely exists now. When they add our war veterans who don't believe in the current wars on the "likely terrorist list" you know freedom is nearly dead.

What are you talking about?

stillers4me
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Seeing the interview puts the whole conversation in an entirely different context. Sounds like he was giving the reporter a bunch BS to get rid of him. Typical James stuff. He was smiling the whole time.

James is just to cool for school.

4xSBChamps
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Seeing the interview puts the whole conversation in an entirely different context. Sounds like he was giving the reporter a bunch BS to get rid of him. Typical James stuff. He was smiling the whole time.

James is just to cool for school.

if the talking-heads in the media didn't take things out-of context, in many instances, they wouldn't have jobs:
I'll take the word of Mr. Harrison, a man who built himself into the Defensive Player of the Year from an unwanted, undrafted free-agent, on the subject before I take the word of Cinna-Bon & Hornkaiser

:thumbsup:

86WARD
05-18-2009, 06:44 PM
He's the Defensive Player of the Year and he doesn't want to go - of COURSE it's going to get airplay. I also sincerely doubt he called a special press conference to make the announcement. Wasn't such a big deal when he was still riding the pine behind Peezy 3 years ago and did the EXACT SAME THING, now was it?

Like I said, get over yourself James...

Whatever his problem was and is going to Washington, just get over it. He's a leader on the defense now. He's a role model now. Of course it wasn't a big deal when he was riding the pine. Now he's NOT riding the pine and he's in a totally different position than he was in 2006.

fansince'76
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Like I said, get over yourself James...

Whatever his problem was and is going to Washington, just get over it. He's a leader on the defense now. He's a role model now. Of course it wasn't a big deal when he was riding the pine. Now he's NOT riding the pine and he's in a totally different position than he was in 2006.

He still has every right not to go, IMO, and I fail to see how his desire to exercise this right equates to a "problem," sorry. He's a football player, not a diplomat, and the best example of his leadership can be seen every Sunday during the fall when he's kicking ass and taking names on the gridiron.

Farrior_roirraW
05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.

He turned down a trip to take a photo with a puppet (doesn't matter if the puppets from the left or the right). Who cares?

4xSBChamps
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.

He turned down a trip to take a photo with a puppet (doesn't matter if the puppets from the left or the right). Who cares?

..... and Harrison is NOBODY'S puppet.

:thumbsup:

86WARD
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
He still has every right not to go, IMO, and I fail to see how his desire to exercise this right equates to a "problem," sorry. He's a football player, not a diplomat, and the best example of his leadership can be seen every Sunday during the fall when he's kicking ass and taking names on the gridiron.

He has every right in the world not to go...but seriously...his comments are just a waste of time and makes him look bad. He doesn't feel the need to go and it's not a big deal to him...that's great, but he doesn't need to announce it to the world like that. To most of the athletes in the world, to the media outlets, to the fans, it is a big deal when a team visits The President. If he has a problem with Obama, that's fine, but he doesn't need to disrespect him like that. Even if he dislikes Obama, I'd hope that he'd support the man as president...even if some beliefs are different.

If he doesn't want to go, just say you don't want to go. Period.

fansince'76
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Cripes - mountain/molehill. Offseason sucks.

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Hasn't this thread outlived its life expectancy? :banging::doh: :rolleyes:

scsteeler
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Hasn't this thread outlived its life expectancy? :banging::doh: :rolleyes:

Yes I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top dawg
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM

I approve this message.

I have been in other forums (football and others), and the contention is that Harrison's remarks are pretty nonsensical.

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I approve this message.

I have been in other forums (football and others), and the contention is that Harrison's remarks are pretty nonsensical.

And I still say so what?

God, the man decides not to go to see the president, and people act like it's a national tragedy. :doh: The last time I checked, America was a free country. He does not have to go to the White House if he doesn't have to. And really, who cares if he said it in public? As if privately deciding not to go would have made a lick of difference to those whining about it now.

As FS76 said, mountain out of a molehill. You all need to get the freak over it.

I hate the offseason!

Preacher
05-19-2009, 02:07 AM
And I still say so what?

God, the man decides not to go to see the president, and people act like it's a national tragedy. :doh: The last time I checked, America was a free country. He does not have to go to the White House if he doesn't have to. And really, who cares if he said it in public? As if privately deciding not to go would have made a lick of difference to those whining about it now.

As FS76 said, mountain out of a molehill. You all need to get the freak over it.

I hate the offseason!

:rofl: Come on X-term, you're asking a lot now!!

Come on people... this is simple.

1. I think he is foolish for not going, the office should be shown the respect.

2. He thinks differently. Good for him.

3. This isn't an arrest, an accusation, or speaking out against the Rooney's.

So what is the big deal? We all know he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Milwaukee. If he wants to make himself look like a disrespectful ass towards the president, oh well. On the other side, he gave props to the Steelers. Notice it wasn't, if you want to come see ME PLAY... it was, if you want to come see THE STEELERS PLAY, come to Pittsburgh.

So what's the next "big" offseason issue?

Kindjunior
05-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Mr Harrison better double check next years tax return

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm curious...

Why did Harrison skipping out on Obama make so much more of a splash then when he skipped out on Bush? Is the Obama WH somehow more sanctimonious than Bush's in the eyes of people here?

The_WARDen
05-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm curious...

Why did Harrison skipping out on Obama make so much more of a splash then when he skipped out on Bush? Is the Obama WH somehow more sanctimonious than Bush's in the eyes of people here?

Actually, yes it is.
:popcorn:

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Just checking to see what kool-aid the resident Obamamites were drinking today...

top dawg
05-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Still not a good look.

Not about the name on the nameplate in the Oval Office

I can halfway see making some grand political statement (eg. about war, abortion, nuclear weapons, etc.), but Harrison's reasons sound a wee bit juvenile IMHO. But, that's just me. In the grand scheme of things, it probably won't mean anything to anyone---including Mr. Rooney, Obama, the fans, or even Harrison himself.

JoeR63
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Just to give my two cents here. I think it's fine that Harrison chooses not to go. It is his personal decision. My thoughts are that the White House trip is a reward and I would love to go (whether it were Bush, Obama, or whoever) but Harrison has his reasons and that's all that matters.

I shake my head though at all of the Obama-haters that jump on this thread and use this "news" as an excuse to spout all of the negative-Obama talk in this thread. And what's with this "why didn't they make a big deal out of this 3 years ago when Harrison didn't go?" Umm, probably for the same reason that, hypothetically, no one would make a big deal if, let's say, Dennis Dixon didn't attend this week. A backup defensive player didn't show up 3 years ago. There was nothing in the news about it. This year he was interviewed and it's in the news and he's the NFL defensive MVP and a star of our Super Bowl win. That's the difference. It's not an Obama vs. Bush thing. My goodness folks. Get a grip.

Steeler Nation has room for all of us. Those of us who support Obama and those who don't. But shouldn't we just focus here on the common love we have for our great team???

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Me? I could care less what Harrison does when he's not on the football field...that's his business, and as long as it's within the letter of the law I'm fine with it.

I just think they hypocrisy is interesting...

X-Terminator
05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Um, there is plenty of political talk in the Locker Room. It really does not have a place in this thread despite the title, IMO. Of course, that's left up to the mods to decide, but I thought I'd say something.

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Harrison is too busy lifting weights and concentrating on being the DMVP. He has no time for nonsense.

Harrison hates Public appearences, they take away from his Puppy Eating and Kitten Killing.

No time for anything but Football. Just as I want my Linebacker to be.

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Um, there is plenty of political talk in the Locker Room. It really does not have a place in this thread despite the title, IMO. Of course, that's left up to the mods to decide, but I thought I'd say something.

This should have been moved, IMO...this is 9 parts politics, 1 part football.

Steelerroy
05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
If you watch the actual clip it's pretty obvious he was only kidding with his excuse.He just doesn't think going is a big deal.

steeldawg
05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
its not a big deal...i would be more worried if mike tomlin had invited him to his house and harrison said no.

Edman
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Why is this a story again?

fansince'76
05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
This should have been moved, IMO...this is 9 parts politics, 1 part football.

Sorry, but I honestly don't think so - as I said in an earlier post, the media can't play this up as a partisan thing as he skipped the WH visit 3 years ago and they certainly can't play it up as a racial thing. The crux of the thread, IMO, is whether Harrison's decision to skip out is "right" or "wrong" in the opinions of fans. There's really no reason to inject partisanship or politics into it.

DACEB
05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
There's really no reason to inject partisanship or politics into it.

It seems some folks can't help it.

S'back certainly didn't. He didn't hold a presser, he simply responded to a reporters (who obviously already knew the scoop) question.

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
It did it to itself.

The Bush thread died at 31 posts (one of which was recent).

This one is at 115 and still rolling.

I myself admit to being hypersensitive to the kid gloves with which the Obama WH is handled in the pop media. Sorry for, you know, pointing it out here...

Give It To Abercrombie
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't say they have bad attitudes, Abercrombie, but imho that's deplorable. Guess my opinion is stuck in the 60's and 70's when I was brought up.

James is going to do what he feels is right. Got to love the U. S. of A. and its freedoms. :usa: :salute:

And I actually agree with your take on it, but I wouldn't judge them vocally. Just making a point. Not the best analogy but all I could come up with on short notice.

stillers4me
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Fear of flying why Steelers' Harrison will skip White House visit
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker James Harrison gave little reason for not wanting to join his teammates for their visit to the White House Thursday.

A well-placed source, however, later revealed the real reason for Harrison's reluctance to make the trip: He has a fear of flying and is a "wreck" whenever he must take team flights.

"Yeah, there's a lot of truth to that," confirmed Bill Parise, Harrison's agent. "When James was in college, his mother had to drive him to all the away games. That's the absolute truth. The transition for him into the NFL was real difficult at first.

"He can get on airplanes and fly, obviously, but he doesn't like to."

"Let me ask you a question," Harrison asked reporters who greeted him coming off the practice field today. "Why is it a big issue now that I'm not going if it wasn't a big issue the last time?"

Harrison, a backup linebacker for the Steelers when they won Super Bowl XL, did not join his teammates three years ago when they visited the White House of President George Bush.

However, his profile changed in four years. He was the NFL defensive player of the year and his 100-yard touchdown with an interception in Super Bowl XLIII was the longest play in Super Bowl history.

"Hey, James ain't changed," Harrison responded. "I guess my profile did but I didn't change. I'm not going because I don't want to go."

He added, seemingly in a joking manner, that the White House is not in the safest area of Washington, D.C.

"It's not a good neighborhood over there either," Harrison said. "It's a bad neighborhood."

Harrison said he was surprised at the reaction to his declining an offer to visit the White House.

"They're making a big deal out of this: 'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'"

He said he will remain in Pittsburgh Thursday to "work out, run, get ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09139/971216-100.stm

James is working on his sprint time. :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-19-2009, 08:14 PM
A well-placed source, however, later revealed the real reason for Harrison's reluctance to make the trip: He has a fear of flying and is a "wreck" whenever he must take team flights.

Maybe he can buy the "Madden Cruiser" with his new contract since fatboy retired and won't really be needing it anymore. :chuckle:

CPanther95
05-20-2009, 07:15 AM
The SB XLIII ring design can't be revealed soon enough.

4xSBChamps
05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
102.5/WDVE is playing clips of Mr. T as B.A. Barraccus from the old 'A-Team' TV-show, screaming

"Hannibal.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/MrT.jpg

..... git me off dis plane!!!!!"

:laughing:

Funny-chit

DACEB
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Harrison May Not Be Eloquent but he Speaks from the Heart

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178799-harrison-may-not-be-eloquent-but-he-speaks-from-the-heart

James Harrison, defensive MVP of the NFL, superbowl record holder for the longest interception return in the history of the NFL, seemingly has let these accolades go straight to his head. He thinks he's better than the President of the United States, Barack Obama—right?

Well, it may seem so, the way the mainstream media is portraying his latest decision not to appear at the White House with the Pittsburgh Steelers like all teams do after winning a Super Bowl.

However, his decision not to go is based on what is in his heart and not so much what is in his words.

According to a Yahoo Sports article, Harrison said, “I don’t feel the need to go, actually,” Harrison told Pittsburgh station WTAE-TV. “I don’t feel like it’s that big a deal to me.” And he also mentioned that “He (Obama) would have invited Arizona.”

Maybe Harrison, a football player, doesn't speak as eloquently as President Obama, but he is showing no disrespect to the President personally, he just doesn't believe in a tradition that allows teams to visit the White House after a Super Bowl win.

He just believes that a team should be invited if the President is a fan of a team and not just because of some tradition about the Super Bowl winner, which started for some unknown reason.

Harrison is a football player, and that is what he does best and he does it on the gridiron. He's not a Republican (at least I don't think he is) and he is not trying to make a political statement by his actions, let us just let him be what he is—a Pittsburgh Steeler and a darn good football player.

hunterman
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Saw this on the ESPN board and thought it was funny.

http://stylepointsblog.com/2009/05/20/pointcounterpoint-barack-obama-and-james-harrison/

AllD
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
This is going to have longer legs than Baba-booey's pitch.

rbryan
05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
102.5/WDVE is playing clips of Mr. T as B.A. Barraccus from the old 'A-Team' TV-show, screaming

"Hannibal.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/MrT.jpg

..... git me off dis plane!!!!!"

:laughing:

Funny-chit

That is funny. I remember they had to drug him everytime the A-Team had to fly somewhere

I think the better comparison to JH is Deebo from the movie "Friday" I bet he didn't like to fly much either....lol

AllD
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
The real reason is James had a cookout already planned, so he can't make the White House.

WeegiesWarriors
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
This story won't go away. What a black eye on this franchise. If you didn't want to go just shut up and say i don't want to go. He's made himself and the organization a laughing stock.

I think Harrison is roided up anyway. No way do you go from an undrafted guy from Kant State to Defensive MVP.

fansince'76
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Is it September yet? :coffee:

stlrtruck
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
The winner always goes to the white house. Soooo, I hope thats not what he’s pissed off about. Not to mention that family members can also go on this trip. Why not take your children (if he has any) to meet the first african american president and become inspired to do or be something great. Im starting to see that the more money you have, the more you lose your common sense.

Saw this on one of the other links to the link that hunterman posted and had to laugh when I read the end of it.

First of all, James Harrison has already done something great. Call it DPOY and the longest play in Super Bowl history - but let's also not forget his humble beginnings in the NFL.

Considering Silverback wasn't making that much money when he was on the winning Super Bowl teams, the money has nothing to do with his decision.

Media types need to get over themselves and stop slopping up all the no-stories just to fill a paper, blog, or some other outlet!

Dino 6 Rings
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll be buying the Harrison Jersey this year. Just because I want people to mention this during the season and I can turn them and say "I PITY THE FOOL who questions James Harrison"

trauben
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Is it in his contract that if they win the Super Bowl he must attend? Nope. Then the man isn't obligated to go. Nothing was said after SB XL, so it wasn't a big deal to Dan or the Steelers organization either.

So James doesn't like going and participating in these kinds of photo ops, big deal. :noidea: It ultimately was his choice. Not yours. Not mine. Not the media's.
http://www.broyhill.com/pages/images/animated_us_flag1.gif
On this day leading up to Memorial Day weekend, a time when we remember those who gave their very lives to ensure our freedoms, it would do us all well to remember that this is a free country.

Unless this country is now being run by the Gestapo? LEAVE HIM ALONE and get over it. :coffee:

thumper
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
This story won't go away. What a black eye on this franchise. If you didn't want to go just shut up and say i don't want to go. He's made himself and the organization a laughing stock.

I think Harrison is roided up anyway. No way do you go from an undrafted guy from Kant State to Defensive MVP.

Who __isn't__ on something in the NFL? I'd say most kickers are even juiced

msafford
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM

:blah::blah::blah:

are you kidding me? black eye on the franchise? So he doesn't go? WHO CARES!!!!! My money's on the media taking whatever he ACTUALLY said, and using certain clips of it instead of the whole thing so they can sell a story and stir up some shit. The Steelers are now a laughing stock? Please tell me you're not actually serious. This isn't even a real story.

and he's roided up too? I guess by your impeccable logic, then someone like the almighty ass-chin Tom "cheater" Brady is probably "roided" up as well, with all the awards he's won in the NFL. Oh wait...he was drafted in the 6th round, so he must be ok. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to kick Mr. Brady square in the sac if I ever met him, but he's been an ok quarterback.

4xSBChamps
05-21-2009, 06:14 PM

..... what color IS the sky in your world?

:banging:

the only people who continue talking about this non-issue is the talking-heads/wannabes in the media, and those looking for a reason to be offended:
rub a brick on-it, and take a lap.

SteelerFanInATL
05-22-2009, 07:21 AM

I'm glad he plays football. He would have never made it in the military.

SFC Eric Conner (RETIRED)
US ARMY

Vincent
05-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I realize that James passed on both WH visits. But given the "dynamics" of this visit, do you suppose there is more than meets the eye here? I'll be wildly speculative here...

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/vinnyq/steelersguns4.jpg

http://psamp.blogspot.com/2009/01/james-harrison-ap-defensive-player-of.html

...do you suppose that James might be somewhat at odds with the new administration's agenda for guns?

caseydog
05-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm a big Harrison fan, but I can laugh at my heros, when they say something stupid.

Jon Stewart really had fun with Harrison on The Daily Show, because of Harrison's stated reason for not going....

"He (the President) only in invited us because we one the Super Bowl" and "He would have invited Arizona if they had won"

WTF???

It's like saying, "I don't want a Super Bowl ring because they are only giving it to us because we won the Super Bowl -- they would give rings to Arizona if they had won."

Yes, the Steelers DID get invited to the White House because THEY WON THE SUPER BOWL. Getting invited to the White house is one of the PERKS of WINNING the Super Bowl -- or the Stanley Cup, or the World Series.

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I saw the interview with Harrison. I love the guy, but that was pretty stupid on his part.

CD

JEFF4i
05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Are you high Vincent?

No it has nothing to do with this administration's position on guns.

That said, he still should've gone.

fansince'76
05-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Is it September yet? :coffee:

tony hipchest
05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
do you suppose there is more than meets the eye here? I'll be wildly speculative here...

...james likes to wear his nike hightops w/o socks? :noidea:

stinky.

Preacher
05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
...james likes to wear his nike hightops w/o socks? :noidea:

stinky.

Proof of that comes by watching him walk... if you see little puff clouds of white powder when he takes a step. . . yep, its w/o socks!

used to do that as a teen, and used that foot powder. Problem was, every step I took... Poof, up came powder. I quickly figured out I didn't want to look like a human rendition of pig-pen from the Peanuts. So I started wearing socks again.

http://www.weirdspace.dk/CharlesSchulz/Graphics/Pig-Pen.gif

tony hipchest
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
lol. thats why you tie them hightops off real tight at the ankles.

*poof*