PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Ravens top rivalry in NFL

Dragonrider
05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ravenssteelersmovestotop&prov=tsn&type=lgns

:applaudit: Finally this rivalry gets the ranking it deserves. For several years it has been the best but all you heard about was the glamor teams. These teams truly don't like each other and the hitting is the hardest out of any games in the league. I look forward to the two meeting every year. And we get a bonus third like last year.

Many of the older rivalries have lost their steam. I know their fans look forward to it. But any football fan can enjoy what the Steelers and Ravens bring to the table. Old school punch you in the mouth football. Who can bring more passion than Hines Ward and Ray Lewis. They are leaders of the respective teams and play the game like is should be played.

billybob
05-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I hate em too . To me they are the original Browns . Some people never forget , and i am one of them . They even went as far as to steel the local tv market from my area . Now i hate them even more . Don't be fooled , they are the Browns .

Galax Steeler
05-17-2009, 06:31 AM
It should be ranked at the top of the nfl rivalry. Everytime they play each other someone gets hurt. It is the hardest hitting in the league when they play each other.

AllD
05-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Cowgirls and Foreskins, Pack and Vikes, Fins and Jets.

Davison_K
05-17-2009, 07:54 AM
They even went as far as to steel the local tv market from my area . Now i hate them even more . Don't be fooled , they are the Browns .

There is no team I hate more than the Ravens for this very reason. I live in PA. I should be able to watch the Steelers. Not have the media shove the Ravens down my throat.

triphahn
05-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I think the ravens have molded themselves after the Steelers. It will be very interesting to see if Flacco continues to perform at the level he did last year or if there defense maintains its level of play after key losses in the off season.

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
There is no team I hate more than the Ravens for this very reason. I live in PA. I should be able to watch the Steelers. Not have the media shove the Ravens down my throat.
and i live in MD and get the steelers.......:laughing:

T.Richardson
05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
and i live in MD and get the steelers.......:laughing:

well Cumberland is part of the Pittsburgh metro area.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-17-2009, 03:44 PM
NFC east vs NFC east haha thats pretty true. Those teams are always fun to watch when the play eachother.

Give It To Abercrombie
05-17-2009, 04:24 PM
It hurts the value of the rivalry to all of those outside the two teams when one of the teams sucks. Baltimore finally had a resurgence and got back to the playoffs or else it would been an underrated rivalry again. In this rivalry, we are the hammer and they are the nail.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I absolutely HATE the Baltimore Ravens.

I hope we just stomp them this year. I wanna see Mendenhall exact revenge in Ray-Ray by just running right over him to score a touchdown.

But I will miss Bart Scott's whining about Hines Ward. He didn't leave Baltimore in FA to re-unite with Rex Ryan, but to get away from Hines Ward's devastating blocks.

T&B fan
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
this rivalry and all other hard hitting rivalrys will soon be gone :mad: do to the new and uninproved NFL flag football :wink02: .

Steelerfreak58
05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
People love watching hard hitting games where everything with out a doubt is left out on the field. You know that is exactly what you are going to get when you watch a Steeler vs Ratbirds game. Hard hitting bloody wonderful football the way it was meant to be played.

Ravnet
05-18-2009, 02:56 AM
It hurts the value of the rivalry to all of those outside the two teams when one of the teams sucks. Baltimore finally had a resurgence and got back to the playoffs or else it would been an underrated rivalry again. In this rivalry, we are the hammer and they are the nail.

Yes, Baltimore was FINALLY able to rebound in 2009 after an entire year of performing poorly following their 13-3 season in 2007.

What a bunch of losers.

MasterOfPuppets
05-18-2009, 03:48 AM
well Cumberland is part of the Pittsburgh metro area. :laughing: ....thats news to me .... here i thought we got the games because of johnstown station we get...lol... don't get me wrong, the ratbirds , and redskins are on every week as well.

mmalone
05-18-2009, 06:57 AM
this year may be a surprise. it may be the bengals that over power the ravens for the #2 spot.

86WARD
05-18-2009, 07:06 AM
I still think the Ravens will get the #2 spot...

Who has the better receivers? Steelers with Holmes, Ward, Sweed, McDonald, Wallace? Ravens with Mason, Clayton, Williams, Figurs, Maxwell? This and RB may be the two positions on the offense where a lot of people debate the two teams.

I personally don't think it is close, however, it is a little closer now that Washington has gone and the Sweed, McDonald, Wallace factor is unknown...

86WARD
05-18-2009, 07:08 AM
I absolutely HATE the Baltimore Ravens.

I hope we just stomp them this year. I wanna see Mendenhall exact revenge in Ray-Ray by just running right over him to score a touchdown.

But I will miss Bart Scott's whining about Hines Ward. He didn't leave Baltimore in FA to re-unite with Rex Ryan, but to get away from Hines Ward's devastating blocks.

Bart Scott...:laughing:

Ed Reed is still around to be Ward's "punching bag." :popcorn:

LVSteelersfan
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I do have to give it to Ray Ray. He hasn't been posterized by Hines Ward because he keeps his head on a swivel the way you are supposed to. Reed is so overrated it makes me sick. He just sits back there and plays center field because the front seven is so devastating. Granted he runs them back when he picks one off, but they are mostly ducks caused by the players in front of him hitting the QB. I have never been overly impressed by him.

T.Richardson
05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
:laughing: ....thats news to me .... here i thought we got the games because of johnstown station we get...lol... don't get me wrong, the ratbirds , and redskins are on every week as well.

Pittsburgh Tri State (includes Cumberland, MD) some parts of Western, MD, northern part of West Virginia, and some parts of Ohio. I think that would be the Metro area?

The Duke
05-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Reed is so overrated it makes me sick. He just sits back there and plays center field because the front seven is so devastating. Granted he runs them back when he picks one off, but they are mostly ducks caused by the players in front of him hitting the QB. I have never been overly impressed by him.

me neither. he's definitely a top 5 safety in the league, but the way people say he's the best in the league and on his way to the HOF is ridiculous

if he gets to the hall based on his high number of pick I will be sickened

Probably one of the most likable ravens though....

jjpro11
05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
there isn't a more physical rivalry in the league right now, no doubt. the Colts-Patriots modern era rivalry is for pansies, but still gets more hype.

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
This is the Raiders/Steelers redux IMO. The Steelers still exude class and winning the right way, while the Rat Turds are the new "Criminal element of the NFL".

I'm not positive, because it was a couple years ago, and winning a little adds to the bandwagon, but I read something circa 2007 that had the Rats as the team with the LEAST fans in the NFL. I totally get that, too...they're just....I don't know, sick. It'd be sick to cheer for a team like that.

Steelerfreak58
05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I do have to give it to Ray Ray. He hasn't been posterized by Hines Ward because he keeps his head on a swivel the way you are supposed to. Reed is so overrated it makes me sick. He just sits back there and plays center field because the front seven is so devastating. Granted he runs them back when he picks one off, but they are mostly ducks caused by the players in front of him hitting the QB. I have never been overly impressed by him.

Sorry as much as I hate the Ravens I have to completely disagree with you on that one. Reed is one of the premier safeties in the league period.

top dawg
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Well, I am thinking from a little different perspective. This rivalry has been one in my book for roughly 30 years (which of course goes back to the original Browns era). It's like Art Modell bottled up the ire of the Browns' fans and the deep tradition of the team rivalry along with him when he moved the franchise to Baltimore. And, really, the franchise never skipped a beat. Of course the Ravens were modeled after the Steelers. Odell is no fool. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em (in a sense).

In the end, it's not like rivalries are static. The amount of fanaticism, rancor, and sportsmanship between two teams and their fan bases ebb and flow, as does the perspective of what is the top rivalry

steeldawg
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
ya reed is pretty sick the only knock on his game that i can see is hes not a great tackler . and yes ravens steelers by far the best rivalry in sports...of course i may be a little biased

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Rivalry?

Look just because they "get up" to play against us doesn't mean its a Rivalry at all.

Lets really look at it.

Ravens became a team in 1996. Since then they are 10-16 against the Steelers. We beat them more than they beat us by a pretty good margin.

We split in 96
we swept them in 97
we swept them in 98
we split in 99
we split in 2000 (their super bowl year)
We beat the 2 out of 3 times in 2001
we swept them in 2002
we split in 2003
we split in 2004
we split in 2005
they swept in 2006
we split in 2007 (we sat our starters in the final game)
We beat them 3 times in 2008

They have NEVER beaten us in a playoff game.

They have only won the AFC North TWO Times since 1996, we won it SEVEN TIMES since then.

They aren't a Rival, they are just like the Bengals or the Browns, a team we smash the shiiit out of every year, who's will we break every year, who talks smack louder than the other two dogs in our division but NEVER backs up their smack talk worth a damn.

They are nothing but loud mouth punks who we shut up and punch in the face every single year.

Don't believe the Hype, they aren't that good.

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
More facts

Since 96, the Ravens are 107 - 100 - 1, barely over .500.

Steelers are 128 - 79 - 1 in the same time frame.

Ravens playoffs 5 times since 96, that's 13 seasons, 5 playoff births, here is their results:
2000 won 4 and SB
2001 won 1 lost to Steelers
2003 one and done against the Titans
2006 one and done against the Colts
2008 won 2 and lost to the Steelers AGAIN

Steelers since 96 playoffs
8 out of 13 seasons
Results:
96 beat Colts lost to Pats
97 beat Pats lost to Broncos
2001 beat Ravnes lost to Pats
2002 beat Browns lost to Titans
2004 beat Jets lost Pats
2005 Won Super Bowl
2007 one and done against the Jags
2008 Won the Super Bowl.

We are clearly the Better team, the more dominant team and they just get their Panties in a bunch when they going to play us. Sure its a hard hitting game, the key is, EVERY STEELER GAME is a HARD HITTING GAME! The Ravens just hype it to sell tickets and jersies because they have a Serious Inferiority complex about the Steelers that has existed since they bailed on Cleveland.

steeldawg
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe its because every preseason the team being talked about in our division is always the ravens and how great their defense is......drives me crazy......so whenever we play them i want to smash them more than any other team we play

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe its because every preseason the team being talked about in our division is always the ravens and how great their defense is......drives me crazy......so whenever we play them i want to smash them more than any other team we play

That's because of the talking head morons that are Ravens fans, talking about how "good" Flacco is going to be, thought it was Boeller?

Ray Lewis and his stupid interviews about being the best line backer ever, total hog wash. Sure he plays hard, but he's lost a step and has just gotten louder with his cute little chicken dance that he does for the ESPN highlight reel. The real Highlights are Troy returning a Pick 6 in the AFC Title game to shut his dirty old man mouth up once and for all.

steeldawg
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
i agree 100% im so sick of ray lewis......i cant wait play them this year and im not just lookin for a win i want a blow out

Ravnet
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Dino, are you even attempting to be somewhat objective?

How can you possibly count the '96, '97, '98, and '99 seasons when the team was made-up of Cleveland Brown holdovers who were truly a pathetic bunch? You know, there is a reason why the team moved...

Why don't you compare the two teams since 2000 as the franchise had some time to actually get on its feet.

The Ravens have quite clearly been one of the top franchises in the AFC over the past decade.

To say that there isn't a rivalry is straight up trash, and I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Pittsburgh has most definitely had an edge, but the two franchises are very similar and the contests are always hard-fought.

fansince'76
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Dino, are you even attempting to be somewhat objective?

How can you possibly count the '96, '97, '98, and '99 seasons when the team was made-up of Cleveland Brown holdovers who were truly a pathetic bunch? You know, there is a reason why the team moved...

Why don't you compare the two teams since 2000 as the franchise had some time to actually get on its feet.

The Ravens have quite clearly been one of the top franchises in the AFC over the past decade.

To say that there isn't a rivalry is straight up trash, and I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Pittsburgh has most definitely had an edge, but the two franchises are very similar and the contests are always hard-fought.

Did you happen to notice the site banner at the top of the page?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/misc/header16.png

I don't see the word "Ravens" anywhere in there. Your constant protests and "demands" for respect are becoming pretty tiresome, dude. People here by and large aren't going to hang off the Ravens' collective sack, and I would imagine the opposite would be true on a Ravens board, nor would I expect it, which is why I would never join or hang out on one. If you come here expecting complimentary things to be said about your team, particularly in the main Pittsburgh Steelers forum, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Ravnet
05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't expect "complimentary" things to be said about my team at all, but I thought that there would at least be an iota of attempted objectivity.

Believe me, I get your point about opposing fans coming onto another site and trying to promote their team, but the essence of his post said that there is no rivalry, and that simply isn't even remotely true.

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't expect "complimentary" things to be said about my team at all, but I thought that there would at least be an iota of attempted objectivity.

Believe me, I get your point about opposing fans coming onto another site and trying to promote their team, but the essence of his post said that there is no rivalry, and that simply isn't even remotely true.

Oh, so you want me to forget about the years you sucked and just go with 2000?

Since 2000

Ravens are 83-61
Steelers are 94-49-1

Ravens 2 AFC North Titles
Steelers 5 AFC North Titles

Since 2000

Ravens 5 Playoff births, with a Record of 7 - 4.
Steelers 6 Playoff births with a Record of 10 - 4.

We are Still Clearly Better than the Ravens. Its a fact. Its undeniable.

Steelers # 1 Team Defense
Ravens # 3 Team Defense

Steelers #2 Team Defense
Ravens # 22 Team Defense

Ravens #1 Team Defense
Steelers #11 Team Defense

Steelers # 4 Team Defense
Ravens # 10 Team Defense

Steelers # 1 Team Defense
Ravens # 6 Team Defense

Ravens # 6 Team Defense
Steelers # 15 Team Defense

Pittsburgh # 16 Team Defense
Ravens # 19 Team Defense

Pittsburgh # 3 Team Defense
Ravnes # 4 Team Defense

Ravens # 1 Team Defense
Steelers # 6 Team Defense

So that shows that for all the BS Hype we have to listen to about the Ravens defense, in the years you have designated, the Steelers actually finished with the better defense at a score of 6 - 3. That's SIX Times out of 9 that we were better than you on Defense but we have to hear the crap about how good your D is every single year.

These are facts. Its time that Ravens fans actually Recognize that the Steelers are their Superior. The Ravens fans need to Man Up and admit, they aspire to be like the Steelers because the Steelers are the Cream of the Crop. Bottom Line.

Do I need to even break out Offensive Stats?

Ravnet
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh, so you want me to forget about the years you sucked and just go with 2000?

I don't think it's entirely fair to judge the Ravens pre-2000 as they were, for all intents and purposes, still the Cleveland Browns, a pathetic franchise.

Ravens are 83-61
Steelers are 94-49-1

So the Steelers are, on average, one game better than Baltimore per year.

Ravens 2 AFC North Titles
Steelers 5 AFC North Titles

You clearly win more division titles than we do, that's indisputable.

Ravens 5 Playoff births, with a Record of 7 - 4.
Steelers 6 Playoff births with a Record of 10 - 4.

You have one more playoff berth than we do.

So that shows that for all the BS Hype we have to listen to about the Ravens defense, in the years you have designated, the Steelers actually finished with the better defense at a score of 6 - 3. That's SIX Times out of 9 that we were better than you on Defense but we have to hear the crap about how good your D is every single year.

I calculated that, on average, the Steelers have have the seventh best defense (6.6), while Baltimore has the eighth best (7.9).

These are facts. Its time that Ravens fans actually Recognize that the Steelers are their Superior. The Ravens fans need to Man Up and admit, they aspire to be like the Steelers because the Steelers are the Cream of the Crop. Bottom Line.

The Steelers are undoubtedly the superior team, and I don't know more than a handful of naive Ravens fans who think that Baltimore is better, and that's a completely honest statement.

The conclusion I've reached is that the Ravens and Steelers have had the same quality defenses over the past decade, and have made the playoffs roughly the same amount of times, yet Pittsburgh has come through when it truly mattered for more Super Bowl wins and division titles.

Pittsburgh has the edge in nearly every category, but the gap is not very wide, and that is my point.

Stover4Prez
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
This is the Raiders/Steelers redux IMO. The Steelers still exude class and winning the right way, while the Rat Turds are the new "Criminal element of the NFL".

I find this statement completely baseless and in reality proof to the argument that this is a heated rivalry. Now before you break out the Ray argument, what criminal element are you talking about? Just because we are a hard nosed football team with players that have as much hatred against your team as you have against us, that does not make us criminal. Have we been cheating? Playing dirty? Sending guys to jail? That is a weak argument.

And for everyone else breaking out stats, that has little to do with a rivalry. A rivalry is a hard fought game between two closely matched teams that also involves a relative hatred for each other. Because Ohio State has beaten Michigan for the past five years, are you going to say that's not a rivalry? You all have the upper hand. Obviously. But last year the first two games came down to the last second and could have gone either way. That is a rivalry.

I love the fact that the NFL and football fans realize how great the games between us are every time we play. There was not a dull game all season between us and even though we lost, they were amazing football games.

Oh..... and Ed Reed is a beast!

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Only a Rivalry to you guys, not Us. To us the Ravens are just another team on our schedule we need to beat on our way to number 7.

The ESPN's of the world love to "hype" the hard hitting Ravens Steelers games because your LB has a big mouth and talks it up and is good copy. Other than that, we don't fear the Ravens, we don't care about the Ravens, we don't circle Ravens games and we sure don't ask the NFL To not make us play in Baltimore in PrimeTime Games.

Rivalry?

Nope. Just another game for the Steelers, the clearly superior Team.

But it generates hits to the website whenever you mention the Steelers so the writer of the story did his job.

Ravnet
05-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Only a Rivalry to you guys, not Us. To us the Ravens are just another team on our schedule we need to beat on our way to number 7.

The ESPN's of the world love to "hype" the hard hitting Ravens Steelers games because your LB has a big mouth and talks it up and is good copy. Other than that, we don't fear the Ravens, we don't care about the Ravens, we don't circle Ravens games and we sure don't ask the NFL To not make us play in Baltimore in PrimeTime Games.

Rivalry?

Nope. Just another game for the Steelers, the clearly superior Team.

But it generates hits to the website whenever you mention the Steelers so the writer of the story did his job.

You actually think that the majority of Pittsburgh fans wouldn't consider the Ravens/Steelers a rivalry?

You honestly sound like you're compensating for numerous shortcomings in your actual life by looking down upon fans of other football teams because your team of choice does well; I don't mean to be offensive, but that is pathetic.

Newsflash - you have no participation in the actual workings of your team, you're a spectator and nothing more.

You must take comfort in the fact that other teams are so envious of the Steelers that they make up a rivalry to attract attention since everyone is so enamored with the glamor and glitz of everything that is Pittsburgh.

4xSBChamps
05-20-2009, 07:15 AM
this rivalry and all other hard hitting rivalrys will soon be gone due to the new and uninproved NFL flag football.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
You actually think that the majority of Pittsburgh fans wouldn't consider the Ravens/Steelers a rivalry?

You honestly sound like you're compensating for numerous shortcomings in your actual life by looking down upon fans of other football teams because your team of choice does well; I don't mean to be offensive, but that is pathetic.

Newsflash - you have no participation in the actual workings of your team, you're a spectator and nothing more.

You must take comfort in the fact that other teams are so envious of the Steelers that they make up a rivalry to attract attention since everyone is so enamored with the glamor and glitz of everything that is Pittsburgh.

Aww...Did I touch a Nerve because you're starting to realize that you're inferior team will never be as good as the Steelers?

so funny how all of a sudden I'm a "spectator". I Slammed facts down your fool throat and you can't handle the fact that if it wasn't for Big Mouth Ray Ray, you're team wouldn't be considered a Rival by us, because he never shuts up. Your team puts out the bounties on the Steelers, your team makes a Big Deal about playing the Steelers, your team has the inferiority complex.

We play your team the same way we play any other team. We don't circle your game, we don't care, we have to play you two times a year, and we make a habit out of beating your brains in and ruining your Season.

Deal with it.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
The main reason Pittsburgh fans love beating the Baltimore Ravens is because it shuts Ray up until the mics are put into his face for the next time he plays the Steelers.

That's what we love about beating the Ravens. Has nothing to do with it being a Rivalry, it has everything to do with shutting Rays trap and punching him right in the face and breaking his heart, year after year after year after year.

4xSBChamps
05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
The main reason Pittsburgh fans love beating the Baltimore Ravens is because .....

..... they are the Purple-Browns

revefsreleets
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
I find this statement completely baseless and in reality proof to the argument that this is a heated rivalry. Now before you break out the Ray argument, what criminal element are you talking about? Just because we are a hard nosed football team with players that have as much hatred against your team as you have against us, that does not make us criminal. Have we been cheating? Playing dirty? Sending guys to jail? That is a weak argument.

A simple google search turned up:
Jamal Anderson
BJ Samms
Steve McNair
Corey Fuller
Terrelle Suggs
Roderick Green
Derrick Martin

And of Course, Killer Ray.

That was just on the first two pages. One of my favorites was Brian Billick being quoted that he's tired of constantly talking about legal issues, ostensibly because so many of his players are/were in trouble with the law.

Criminal.
Element.

And the fans...Ieeshka, the fans are a real collective piece of work. Ignorant, arrogant...Tim Lumber is a PERFECT spokesperson for your fan base. He is the apotheosis of the Baltirat fan. He's the perfect representative for a group of fans that would try to fob off the argument that "Stats don't matter" just because the stats don't happen to actually support their side of the argument. The right guy to speak for a group of fans that continually and blindly defend a murderer who only got off because he copped a plea. I could go on and on, but why? I proved my point. The Rats and their fans are the tornado bait trailer trash of the NFL. Just because you SAY Pink Falmingo's are classy does not make it so.

Edman
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
All due respect to the Ravens fans on here. I don't consider the Ravens "Just another team in the way". They are a legitimate rival, even if they are the Old Browns. I still hate them, I still hate their colors, I still hate Modell, I still hate Ray Lewis, and I still hate everything they stand for. I wish Bart Skirt was still on the team so Hines can own him again.

Everyone knows the Ravens/Steelers games have always been close and hard-hitting with few exceptions. Yeah we swept them in three last year, but it wasn't easy. Prior to 2008, the Steelers had lost 4 out the last 6 against Baltimore including two rare blowouts in 2006, and lost in M&T Bank five straight times.

The Ravens always gave the Steelers a game. Makes beating them all the more satisfying. Those Steeler fans in this topic taking 2008 for granted, all it takes is one loss to the Rats to throw off the perspective.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 10:02 AM
All due respect to the Ravens fans on here. I don't consider the Ravens "Just another team in the way". They are a legitimate rival, even if they are the Old Browns. I still hate them, I still hate their colors, I still hate Modell, I still hate Ray Lewis, and I still hate everything they stand for. I wish Bart Skirt was still on the team so Hines can own him again.

Everyone knows the Ravens/Steelers games have always been close and hard-hitting with few exceptions. Yeah we swept them in three last year, but it wasn't easy. Prior to 2008, the Steelers had lost 4 out the last 6 against Baltimore including two rare blowouts in 2006, and lost in M&T Bank five straight times.

The Ravens always gave the Steelers a game. Makes beating them all the more satisfying. Those Steeler fans in this topic taking 2008 for granted, all it takes is one loss to the Rats to throw off the perspective.

All do respect Edman, my stats and figures actually back up my argument that they aren't a rival. We beat them more then not, we have the better defense year after year, we have the better record, we have more AFC North titles, more playoff births and more playoff wins. They circle us, we hate them because of their big mouths, not because we worry about them winning the AFC North. That's my point, they call it a rivalry, the hype up the game, they talk it up and say "the Steelers" are the team to beat each and every year in the AFC North. WE don't do that with them. We don't beg the NFL Front office to avoid night games in their house. Look and read all the stats I provided, those aren't fudged and I even gave up the 1st four years of their existance to prove my point that even since 2000 we are still better. But every year we have to listen to the bullshiiit hype about their "defense" when in reality, they aren't that good, we drove on them time after time when it mattered. We don't beat them badly often, but we beat them often enough.

revefsreleets
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
We're in their heads now, to boot. Sweeping then, including the playoff win, is a real statement. When did that to the Browns and they are STILL all effed up when they play us. We plant a creeping doubt in their mind that they cannot beat us...

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Here's another Fact.

A Team from Balitmore, has NEVER beaten the Steelers in the Playoffs.

Not the Colts, not the Ravens.

Ever.

Rivals beat each other in the playoffs, Rivals knock each other off. In the case of the Steelers vs Balitmore, the Steelers Dominate.

steelballs
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Living here in the land of the rat.... I have to say that in the eyes of rat fans...the Steelers games are THE most important games on the schedule.

Their first round draft pick said it all when the first comments out of his mouth were that he would bring what's needed to beat the Steelers??? What this rook needs to realize is that it's more than the players. The organization in conjunction with the players, coaches, fans and community is what helps foster champions. This is where the rats are light years behind and will continue to struggle as they will forever chase the Steeler's mold.
I remember when Buttlick was still there, he used to comment about how fans would approach him at training camp and tell him JUST BEAT THE STEELERS nothing else matters....think we're in their heads???

The Steelers do consider this a rivalry, but on the same lines as the original Browns or Raiders of years past....not even close.

Edman
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
All do respect Edman, my stats and figures actually back up my argument that they aren't a rival. We beat them more then not, we have the better defense year after year, we have the better record, we have more AFC North titles, more playoff births and more playoff wins. They circle us, we hate them because of their big mouths, not because we worry about them winning the AFC North. That's my point, they call it a rivalry, the hype up the game, they talk it up and say "the Steelers" are the team to beat each and every year in the AFC North. WE don't do that with them. We don't beg the NFL Front office to avoid night games in their house. Look and read all the stats I provided, those aren't fudged and I even gave up the 1st four years of their existance to prove my point that even since 2000 we are still better. But every year we have to listen to the bullshiiit hype about their "defense" when in reality, they aren't that good, we drove on them time after time when it mattered. We don't beat them badly often, but we beat them often enough.

Yeah, you do have a point. Baltimore BEGGiNG to not be scheduled to another night game in Pittsburgh was a severe blow to their rep as a rival. The Browns never did that, and they suck horribly. The Steelers would never back down to a challenge from the Rats regardless of location. To beg to not be scheduled in Pittsburgh was a puss move on their part. So we play in Baltimore at night instead. Big deal.

By the way, despite the extensive losing streak in Baltimore pre-2008, the Steelers STILL have a winning record in Baltimore. 7-6 since 1996. It took a losing streak for the Ravens to tie Pittsburgh at home. Meanwhile, Baltimore flat out sucks at Heinz Field. 2-8 all time. Incl. playoffs.

The Steelers have swept the Ravens four times.
The Ravens have swept the Steelers just once and it took them 11 seasons to do it.
The Steelers won both playoff meetings.
Ben and Holmes own the Ravens.
6 > 1.

Stover4Prez
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
A simple google search turned up:
Jamal Anderson
BJ Samms
Steve McNair
Corey Fuller
Terrelle Suggs
Roderick Green
Derrick Martin

Criminal.
Element.

Since 2006:

"A simple google search turned up:"

Trai Essex
Santonio Holmes (three times)
Barrett Brooks
Deshea Townsend
Richard Seigler
Najeh Davenport
James Harrison
Cedrick Wilson
Jeff Reed (the flippin kicker!)

Criminal.
Element.

During the same time period, for the Ravens:

B.J. Sams
Steve McNair
Gerome Sapp
Derrick Martin

Pittsburgh: 11
Baltimore: 4

You are right... you guys outscore us every time!

Ravnet
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Aww...Did I touch a Nerve because you're starting to realize that you're inferior team will never be as good as the Steelers?

so funny how all of a sudden I'm a "spectator". I Slammed facts down your fool throat and you can't handle the fact that if it wasn't for Big Mouth Ray Ray, you're team wouldn't be considered a Rival by us, because he never shuts up. Your team puts out the bounties on the Steelers, your team makes a Big Deal about playing the Steelers, your team has the inferiority complex.

We play your team the same way we play any other team. We don't circle your game, we don't care, we have to play you two times a year, and we make a habit out of beating your brains in and ruining your Season.

Deal with it.

Are you blind? No, honestly?

I admitted in my very first post that Pittsburgh is clearly superior, but I responded to your statistics by saying that the Steelers are better, but not by a huge margin.

Is it even possible to have a reasonable debate?

Ravnet
05-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I appreciate your comment, but Dino simply doesn't want to discuss anything reasonable and apparently likes to make outrageous claims to make himself feel better.

It's a huge ego-booster for guys on an internet message board to say that they look down upon another football team. Congratulations.

fansince'76
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
:banana: :chicken: :banana: :chicken: :banana:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

:banana: :chicken: :banana: :chicken: :banana:

:yawn:

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I appreciate your comment, but Dino simply doesn't want to discuss anything reasonable and apparently likes to make outrageous claims to make himself feel better.

It's a huge ego-booster for guys on an internet message board to say that they look down upon another football team. Congratulations.

There was nothing unreasonable about anything I said. That's what hurts your feelings so much.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 04:47 PM

What would you like to discuss in the aspect of "football" exactly?

We've gone over the stats and the records. Want to break down the players position by position and see who has the better team and who has consistantly had the better team year in and year out?

Now my point, is that ESPN and the NFL Network try to Sell the Steelers and Ravens as a "smash mouth" Rivalry game. My counter is, no it is not. We don't treat the Ravens game any different than we do the Browns, Bengals, Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Broncos, or Eagles. We have a History with each of those teams, and I'd argue, the Cheifs and the Bills as well. Those all could be considered Rivalry Games. But they aren't by us. We see them all the same. As just another game on the schedule where we expect to get the other teams best performance because they are playing the Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Now prove to me that we are a Rivalry.

The Florida Gators don't consider the Tennessee Volunteers a Rival because the Gators are better year in and year out, Yet the Tenn fans consider the Gators a rival. The Texas Longhorns don't consider the Arkansas Razorbacks a Rival, even though the Hogs consider the Horns a Rival.

See how it works? We don't consider you a "rival" we consider you an Inter Division Opponent that we have to beat in order to get to the playoffs.

That's It.

There's no magic here, you haven't Earned the position as a Rival yet. Beat us in the playoffs sometime. Be the reason we miss the playoffs one year. Be the team that we have to beat the last game of the year to get into the playoffs and beat us. Til that happens, til the Ravens prove they can beat us on a consistant basis the way we beat them, they aren't a Rival.

Stover4Prez
05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Now my point, is that ESPN and the NFL Network try to Sell the Steelers and Ravens as a "smash mouth" Rivalry game. My counter is, no it is not. We don't treat the Ravens game any different than we do the Browns, Bengals, Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Broncos, or Eagles. We have a History with each of those teams, and I'd argue, the Cheifs and the Bills as well. Those all could be considered Rivalry Games. But they aren't by us. We see them all the same. As just another game on the schedule where we expect to get the other teams best performance because they are playing the Steelers.

I can understand from a player and coach perspective that one game is just as important as the next. But you can HONESTLY say you don't take any more pleasure with a win over the Ravens than over the Bengals, or the Raiders?! I find that hard to believe. But you may be the minority that doesn't think any game is more intense or bigger than the next. From the posts on this site and the reaction of football fans of all backgrounds, you can't say that this matchup in the past couple years is not more highlighted or hyped than your typical Sunday matchup. I personally loath the Steelers and everything associated with them. Along with a majority of Baltimore. So in my eyes, it is absolutely a huge game every year. And I know the feeling is mutual from a TON of Steeler fans.

Either way, it's time for football season to start! This nitpick BS is getting old...... :wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I can understand from a player and coach perspective that one game is just as important as the next. But you can HONESTLY say you don't take any more pleasure with a win over the Ravens than over the Bengals, or the Raiders?! I find that hard to believe. But you may be the minority that doesn't think any game is more intense or bigger than the next. From the posts on this site and the reaction of football fans of all backgrounds, you can't say that this matchup in the past couple years is not more highlighted or hyped than your typical Sunday matchup. I personally loath the Steelers and everything associated with them. Along with a majority of Baltimore. So in my eyes, it is absolutely a huge game every year. And I know the feeling is mutual from a TON of Steeler fans.

Either way, it's time for football season to start! This nitpick BS is getting old...... :wink02:

Actually, you could go through all my posts and you'd see I'm very consistant on this issue. And in fact, you'd see a lot of Steelers fans HATE the Patriots more than the Ravens. Why? Because of AFC Title Game loses to the Patriots.

Right now, today, the Team I hate the Most in the world and hope we completely Destroy is the Tennessee Titans. Not because they are a Rival, or because of the Towel thing (which is just icing on the cake at this point for my hatred) no, its not for those reasons, I hate them because They Are Next on the Schedule.

That's it. I hate whoever we are playing the same. Some individual players I hate more than others, like T.O. or Chad J, but had the Ravens beaten the Steelers in the AFC title game, and the Eagles beaten the Cardinals, I would have most likely pulled for the Ravens for the AFC North Aspect of another Trophy in our Division and because I hate McNabb. I'm a Pitt fan and I've hated McNabb since he was at Cuse.

If you were a real Rival, I wouldn't pull for you. Heck I rooted for the Ravens over the Giants because I hate Giants Fans.

The Steelers fans who do consider the Ravens a "rival" are just sick and tired of hearing Ray Ray open his big fat mouth year in and year out. He makes it more of a Rivalry than it really is. That was another argument I put forth.

Stover4Prez
05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Now prove to me that we are a Rivalry.

The Florida Gators don't consider the Tennessee Volunteers a Rival because the Gators are better year in and year out, Yet the Tenn fans consider the Gators a rival. The Texas Longhorns don't consider the Arkansas Razorbacks a Rival, even though the Hogs consider the Horns a Rival.

See how it works? .

By that rational (10-16 record against the Steelers):

Other "NOT" Rivals since 2000:

Alabama / Auburn (2-7)
Ohio State / Michigan (7-2)
Army / Navy (1-8)
USC / Notre Dame (7-2)
Florida / Georgia (7-2)

Ravnet
05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Forget it, Stover, he is talking as if he is a football player.

"The only thing that matters is our next game?" Please; actual athletes have to say that because they'll otherwise be criticized for overlooking a game, but our duty as fans is to forecast and make predictions and hate other teams and create rivalries.

Hines Ward has said multiple times that the two teams straight up don't like each other.

By the way, I love how this guy would consider Army/Navy not a rivalry.

fansince'76
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
....you'd see a lot of Steelers fans HATE the Patriots more than the Ravens. Why? Because of AFC Title Game loses to the Patriots.

Well, for me it's more because the great majority of their fans are bandwagon-riding asshats that think the league was formed in 2001 and seem to think it's perpetually 2003-04 and because of the cheating which they got a slap on the wrist for. I'm over the AFCCG losses.

Ravnet
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, for me it's more because the great majority of their fans are bandwagon-riding asshats that think the league was formed in 2001 and seem to think it's perpetually 2003-04 and because of the cheating which they got a slap on the wrist for. I'm over the AFCCG losses.

They're from Boston, it comes with the territory.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Forget it, Stover, he is talking as if he is a football player.

"The only thing that matters is our next game?" Please; actual athletes have to say that because they'll otherwise be criticized for overlooking a game, but our duty as fans is to forecast and make predictions and hate other teams and create rivalries.

Hines Ward has said multiple times that the two teams straight up don't like each other.

By the way, I love how this guy would consider Army/Navy not a rivalry.

See, you attack me personally but not my facts or posts.

Please yourself all you want, your opinion matter nothing to me because you are under the dillusion that your team is a Rival when really, they are a pathetic bunch of loud mouth wannabees that can't hold our jock straps.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

I served, I recognize that Rivalry for what it is. Its a classic Soldier vs Sailor brothers in arms Rivalry.

The Teams don't like each other, you hate us because we beat you more often than not, we hate you because you never shut up your big mouths.

And for the Record, yeah, I talk about US and WE when I talk about the Steelers, that's what happens when you have ONE team to root for your Entire Life. You wouldn't understand that. Still have your Colts T-shirts from when you were a kid or did you only discover the NFL in 1996?

Suck it up and deal with it. I've laid out the facts, the records, the stats, and you still want to consider yourself a Rival.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Oh and Stover and Ravnet, I've spoken to both of you before, and CrowMagnon as well during the season, so pretend all you want that you've never spoken to me before, the facts are what they are and neither of you had made a case for your team being a Rival.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 08:44 PM

That's pretty freaking funny. Same could be say for Manning and the Colts fans. They seem to forget how pre Manning they were sucking hind end in the AFC East. Pretty easy to forget that huh?

Ravnet
05-21-2009, 12:57 AM
See, you attack me personally but not my facts or posts.

Please yourself all you want, your opinion matter nothing to me because you are under the dillusion that your team is a Rival when really, they are a pathetic bunch of loud mouth wannabees that can't hold our jock straps.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

I served, I recognize that Rivalry for what it is. Its a classic Soldier vs Sailor brothers in arms Rivalry.

The Teams don't like each other, you hate us because we beat you more often than not, we hate you because you never shut up your big mouths.

And for the Record, yeah, I talk about US and WE when I talk about the Steelers, that's what happens when you have ONE team to root for your Entire Life. You wouldn't understand that. Still have your Colts T-shirts from when you were a kid or did you only discover the NFL in 1996?

Suck it up and deal with it. I've laid out the facts, the records, the stats, and you still want to consider yourself a Rival.

Man, I rebutted every single one of the statistics you provided, I believe it's a few pages back.

Dino 6 Rings
05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Man, I rebutted every single one of the statistics you provided, I believe it's a few pages back.

No, you attempted to spin the facts and stats so to make it seem that the Ravens are on the same level or at least, near the level of the Steelers.

Tell me this, name the time, where the Ravens beat the Steelers in a game that really mattered.

Name the Playoff game, or the time when the Ravens beat the Steelers and it ended our season or caused us to miss the playoffs.

You can't. Because it Never Happened.

Now I can name countless times in Rivalry games, especially college, but also the NFL Level where each team snags one from the other team as the Under Dog, and ruins the other teams season or ends it.

Ohio State vs Michigan '95, OSU is 11-0 and they lose the final game to 8-3 Michigan. '96 Same story 11-0 OSU loses to 7-3 Michigan. WVU needs only to beat Pitt at home to go to the National Title game 2 years ago and they lose the Rivalry Game. UCLA beats USC a couple years ago to knock them out of the Title game. Rivalry Games are Known for Upsets. What game did the Ravens Ever Upset the Steelers in?

Raiders vs Steelers, they beat each other in the playoffs year after year back in the day. Steelers Cowboys played in the SB against each other 3 times. Steelers Browns, a long standing hatred and Rivalry because of the Upset Games that have happened over the years. Colts vs Patriots, beat each other in the playoffs ending each others season. 9ers vs Cowboys, classic Rivalry in the 90s beating each other in the Playoffs when IT MATTERED.

The Ravens have NEVER beaten the Steelers in a Game that Matters. And that my friend is what a Real Rivalry is all about. Beating the other team when it really truly matters.

revefsreleets
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm waiting for the Rat fan to drag out "Bu...bu...bu...but Bush!"

Dino 6 Rings
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm waiting for the Rat fan to drag out "Bu...bu...bu...but Bush!"

I think I make some pretty compelling arguments against them being considered a Rival. They haven't earned the rank of "rival" by their actions on the field. That's for certain.

billybob
05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

I feel ya brother . Live in PA. , pay Pa. taxes , watch a Pa. station , watch a Md . team that sucks to the core . ARRRRGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!

Stover4Prez
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Rivalry, not rivalry. Whatever. I think the focus has been lost here. The game between the Ravens and the Steelers have become a spectacle in the NFL because of the fierce competition, hatred, smack talk and old school smashmouth type of football that is played between to two clubs. Whether you want to call it a rivalry, a big game, or just another week in the schedule, our meeting twice a year has peaked the interest of football fans and commentators everywhere. It probably won't last more than another year or two, but right now it is a highlight game.

I love to hate your team and your fans and your city. It is what makes the season even more exciting.

#1 Win the superbowl.
#2 Beat the Squealers.
#3. The rest of the season.

I used to hate the Pats when they stole that game in Baltimore on their way to not a perfect season, but it is no fun now without the pretty boy there. Now you all get the honor. Enjoy.

Stover4Prez
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
watch a Md . team that sucks to the core . ARRRRGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!

Right... You mean the second best team in the AFC?

revefsreleets
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Right... You mean the second best team in the AFC?

The Colts?

Let's limit this to the Steelers and Ravens, shall we?

Dino 6 Rings
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Rivalry, not rivalry. Whatever. I think the focus has been lost here. The game between the Ravens and the Steelers have become a spectacle in the NFL because of the fierce competition, hatred, smack talk and old school smashmouth type of football that is played between to two clubs. Whether you want to call it a rivalry, a big game, or just another week in the schedule, our meeting twice a year has peaked the interest of football fans and commentators everywhere. It probably won't last more than another year or two, but right now it is a highlight game.

I love to hate your team and your fans and your city. It is what makes the season even more exciting.

#1 Win the superbowl.
#2 Beat the Squealers.
#3. The rest of the season.

I used to hate the Pats when they stole that game in Baltimore on their way to not a perfect season, but it is no fun now without the pretty boy there. Now you all get the honor. Enjoy.

Most hated team. I'll take that title with pride. I look forward to the new season.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
The Colts?

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

I very much consider the Steelers/Rats a rivalry. The teams and fans hate each other and just about every game is a slugfest, though in recent years, the Steelers have come out on top most of the time.

Personally, I look forward to playing the Rats and beating their purple azzes two to three times a season. :tt02:

Stover4Prez
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
The Colts?

I'm sorry. Maybe all of the steel up there has hazed your memory. But in case your memory can't hold more than 1 game in history, it was the Ravens in the AFCCG with you last year! That makes us number 2. If the Colts were number 2, they would have been in the Championship game. Thought that was pretty easy to understand.
:hatsoff:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Flacco made this a rivalry worth ranking....
As much as I hate the ravens, I do like watching Flacco throw the ball deep....

revefsreleets
05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Year in and year out, the Colts have been at the top of the AFC heap. I'd count the Pats, but they cheated.

The Rats are too wishy-washy and up-and-down to count.

Give It To Abercrombie
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, Baltimore was FINALLY able to rebound in 2009 after an entire year of performing poorly following their 13-3 season in 2007.

What a bunch of losers.

Yeah, those Kyle Boller years were stellar. :thumbsup:

Last 5 years you ask? Well we all know how they did in '08. How about those 5-11 and 6-10 years in '07 and '05? 9-7 in '04 and outside of the playoffs. :coffee:

I wasn't saying they have been awful forever, but don't try to say they were a perennial Superbowl contender in recent memory. When you fire your Superbowl winning coach, not all is well. Now that we are both good at the same time, the rivalry will get more attention, that's all I was saying. Take a breath.

Ravnet
06-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah, those Kyle Boller years were stellar. :thumbsup:

Last 5 years you ask? Well we all know how they did in '08. How about those 5-11 and 6-10 years in '07 and '05? 9-7 in '04 and outside of the playoffs. :coffee:

I wasn't saying they have been awful forever, but don't try to say they were a perennial Superbowl contender in recent memory. When you fire your Superbowl winning coach, not all is well. Now that we are both good at the same time, the rivalry will get more attention, that's all I was saying. Take a breath.

What happened to Pittsburgh in 2006 and 2003? I wouldn't really call 9-7 a terrible year considering that Boller was a rookie.

Everyone has down years, but I agree that the rivalry will only intensify as the Ravens/Steelers weren't always good at the same time as Pittsburgh was often good when Baltimore was bad and vice-versa.

Jackal
06-09-2009, 11:47 AM

It must be a cold day in hell, because I actually agree with a few of the Ravens fans on here. This was picked as the best rivalry in the NFL not just because of the bloodlust between the two teams, but because of how significant the games have become with respect to playoff implications...even championship implications. Great rivalries are built on great stories and other intangible qualities that can't be measured on a stat sheet.

That being said...Baltimore? Worst city in America.

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
It must be a cold day in hell, because I actually agree with a few of the Ravens fans on here. This was picked as the best rivalry in the NFL not just because of the bloodlust between the two teams, but because of how significant the games have become with respect to playoff implications...even championship implications. Great rivalries are built on great stories and other intangible qualities that can't be measured on a stat sheet.

That being said...Baltimore? Worst city in America.

Again...I re-state.

The Baltimore Ravens have NEVER Beaten the Steelers in a game that mattered. They have NEVER beaten us in the Playoffs, or beaten us in a situation that we had to win in order to make the playoffs. They Beat us only everyone once in a while if we are having a down year, but we make a habit of Stomping on their faces and Ending their Season.

To be the man, You have to beat the Man. The Balitmore Ravens have NEVER beaten the Man when it counted. EVER!!!

Not opinion, Flat Out FACT!

Stevo
06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
What other rival has two recent Super Bowl winners?

NONE.

Jackal
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
On those grounds, then, I guess the classic Browns-Steelers rivalry is largely just a figment of everyone's imagination.

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
On those grounds, then, I guess the classic Browns-Steelers rivalry is largely just a figment of everyone's imagination.

That's true. A hammer and a nail are NOT rivals.

Dino 6 Rings
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
What other rival has two recent Super Bowl winners?

NONE.

Look, when Ray Ray finally retires, will we still consider them a Rival? I say no. The only reason we even toyed with the idea as fans is because they were the Old Browns.

Had Baltimore gotten a New Team, and the Browns never left Cleveland to begin with, would anyone consider Baltimore a Rival? No, because we don't consider the City of Balitmore a Rival Town. The Colts were never a Rival when they were in Baltimore. We have a Real Rivalry with the fans of Cleveland. The Fans of Cincy hate us because of our Dominance. The Ravens, they should be Rivals with the Eagles, or Redskins, or even AFC East Teams like New York or New England.

Sure, Ray Ray gets all hyped up and feels all Juicy when he gets to play against the Steelers. Then we punch him in the face and end his season time and time again, and prove they are nothing but loud mouth pieces of trash.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Look, when Ray Ray finally retires, will we still consider them a Rival? I say no. The only reason we even toyed with the idea as fans is because they were the Old Browns.

Had Baltimore gotten a New Team, and the Browns never left Cleveland to begin with, would anyone consider Baltimore a Rival? No, because we don't consider the City of Balitmore a Rival Town. The Colts were never a Rival when they were in Baltimore. We have a Real Rivalry with the fans of Cleveland. The Fans of Cincy hate us because of our Dominance. The Ravens, they should be Rivals with the Eagles, or Redskins, or even AFC East Teams like New York or New England.

Sure, Ray Ray gets all hyped up and feels all Juicy when he gets to play against the Steelers. Then we punch him in the face and end his season time and time again, and prove they are nothing but loud mouth pieces of trash.

Cleveland and Pittsburgh are real rival cities. Here hating Pittsburgh is 2nd nature in my genes, being from the Northeast part of the Buckeye state that's something that goes along with hating Michigan, the Yankees and Red Sox. There's been stories from both stadiums being a hostile places (Even now I read about how people who are Steeler fans hated their experiences at CBS)

There's so much story lines to the Rivalry, it reads more like Civil War then a yearly football game.

Moddell is an assb** for moving the Browns and destroying such beautiful and epic hatred between the cities. I really hate that guy, and will always hate him.

The Rats/Steeler rivalry was what the Browns rivalry should be, and was. It's a joke that the Browns franchise has fallen on ultra hard times like it has.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2009, 04:38 PM

:laughing:

Ravnet
06-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Moddell is an assb** for moving the Browns and destroying such beautiful and epic hatred between the cities. I really hate that guy, and will always hate him.

I'll disregard the delusional notion that the Ravens/Steelers isn't a rivalry for a minute to make one thing clear: beautiful and Cleveland never belong in the same sentence.

steel9guy
06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I hate em too . To me they are the original Browns . Some people never forget , and i am one of them . They even went as far as to steel the local tv market from my area . Now i hate them even more . Don't be fooled , they are the Browns .

They stole the TV market in my area too and that has made me hate them more than anything i've ever hated. The ratio of STeelers fans to rats fans is 2-1 and yet the NFL insists on showing the retarded rats.

Jackal
06-12-2009, 09:34 AM

:laughing:

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I'll disregard the delusional notion that the Ravens/Steelers isn't a rivalry for a minute to make one thing clear: beautiful and Cleveland never belong in the same sentence.

The dellusion is that now that the Browns are back, you Ravens fans think we give two craps about your team. We don't. You're a stepping stone for our AFC North Dominance, which by the way I have pointed out over and over again with Stats, Facts and common sense time and time again in this thread.

over 100 games played against the Browns. That's Rivalry.

Colts/Ravens...whatever, neither has Ever ended our season. Ever. They have never earned the Right to be a Rival. Not a real Long Term OhioStat/Michigan, Army/Navy, USC/UCLA, Steelers/Browns, Steelers/Raiders, Rival. Not Even Close. Show up sometime in the Playoffs and beat us some time when you aren't supposed to beat us, and then we can talk about Rivalry. Til Then, go yell at Redskins Fans.

Heck, is there even a Game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore with a Name? No "Immaculate Reception", or "The Tackle" game? At leat the Colts have that to point to and hate us over. The Raiders have Hated us since 1972!!! Since then we have played in the Playoffs vs Each other 6 times, pretty much splitting it evenly. AND combined for a total of 11 Super Bowl appearances and a total of 9 Super Bowl Championships.

The Oakland Raiders are a Rival.

I guess we could start calling this past AFC Title game the "Choked Out" Game. Since you QB threw it away.

Ravnet
06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
The dellusion is that now that the Browns are back, you Ravens fans think we give two craps about your team. We don't. You're a stepping stone for our AFC North Dominance, which by the way I have pointed out over and over again with Stats, Facts and common sense time and time again in this thread.

over 100 games played against the Browns. That's Rivalry.

Colts/Ravens...whatever, neither has Ever ended our season. Ever. They have never earned the Right to be a Rival. Not a real Long Term OhioStat/Michigan, Army/Navy, USC/UCLA, Steelers/Browns, Steelers/Raiders, Rival. Not Even Close. Show up sometime in the Playoffs and beat us some time when you aren't supposed to beat us, and then we can talk about Rivalry. Til Then, go yell at Redskins Fans.

Heck, is there even a Game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore with a Name? No "Immaculate Reception", or "The Tackle" game? At leat the Colts have that to point to and hate us over. The Raiders have Hated us since 1972!!! Since then we have played in the Playoffs vs Each other 6 times, pretty much splitting it evenly. AND combined for a total of 11 Super Bowl appearances and a total of 9 Super Bowl Championships.

The Oakland Raiders are a Rival.

I guess we could start calling this past AFC Title game the "Choked Out" Game. Since you QB threw it away.

I think it's hilarious how right you think you are.

mmalone
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
the bengals will beat out the ravens this year.
the bengals will be good. the browns and ravens will be playing for the bottom this year. 85 and palmer healthy will be a force.
good luck to cleveland and baltimore...
steelers get #7.... go OL this year....

Crushzilla
06-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I think it's hilarious how right you think you are.

I think it's hilarious that you think you have any right to deny it.

How can you be so high right now? You went 0-3 against the Steelers last season.

How have the Ravens improved? If anything... they've regressed.

Any denial of that is hilarious.

Ravnet
06-13-2009, 02:59 AM
I think it's hilarious that you think you have any right to deny it.

How can you be so high right now? You went 0-3 against the Steelers last season.

How have the Ravens improved? If anything... they've regressed.

Any denial of that is hilarious.

If you had actually read the thread then you would have seen that I have admitted in numerous posts that the Steelers are clearly the better team. I just can't buy into the notion that two freakishly similar teams that have been very good for most of the decade and reside in the same division aren't rivals.

The Ravens tend to be good when the Steelers have a down year and vice versa, but the game are always very, very competitive regardless, and the players, Ward among others, absolutely despise their counterparts.

Dino pitches his tent by looking down on the Ravens as if he personally has accomplished so much. He jumps at any opportunity to refuel this ridiculous argument as he believes so truly he has thoroughly defeated me in every facet as if his point is so righteous.

I mean honestly, do you think the average Pittsburgh fan would say that the Ravens/Steelers isn't a rivalry right now? Seriously?

Two teams with fierce defenses from blue collar cities beat the shit out of each other every time they play and then mouth off after games. You're over analyzing a simple issue in an attempt to inflate your cyber ego.

Crushzilla
06-13-2009, 01:48 PM
If you had actually read the thread then you would have seen that I have admitted in numerous posts that the Steelers are clearly the better team. I just can't buy into the notion that two freakishly similar teams that have been very good for most of the decade and reside in the same division aren't rivals.

The Ravens tend to be good when the Steelers have a down year and vice versa, but the game are always very, very competitive regardless, and the players, Ward among others, absolutely despise their counterparts.

Dino pitches his tent by looking down on the Ravens as if he personally has accomplished so much. He jumps at any opportunity to refuel this ridiculous argument as he believes so truly he has thoroughly defeated me in every facet as if his point is so righteous.

I mean honestly, do you think the average Pittsburgh fan would say that the Ravens/Steelers isn't a rivalry right now? Seriously?

Two teams with fierce defenses from blue collar cities beat the shit out of each other every time they play and then mouth off after games. You're over analyzing a simple issue in an attempt to inflate your cyber ego.

My cyber ego needs very little inflating. It's already far too large for me to contain.

Yes. They reside in the same division. We play each other a lot.

We obviously have different definitions of the word "rivalry." Agree to disagree.

I guess I understand. It gets my goat when the Patriots beat us... but I wouldn't call it a rivalry.

revefsreleets
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Pretty much every year the Steelers are among the top few teams in popularity.

And pretty much every year the Rats are near the bottom.

There's a good reason for that.

Rek
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Steelers and Ravens are a rivalry.
Steelers and Cowboys are a rivalry.
Steelers and Patriots are a rivalry.

Steelers and Bengals is a joke.
Steelers and Browns are an even bigger of a joke.

Rek
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
My cyber ego needs very little inflating. It's already far too large for me to contain.

Yes. They reside in the same division. We play each other a lot.

We obviously have different definitions of the word "rivalry." Agree to disagree.

I guess I understand. It gets my goat when the Patriots beat us... but I wouldn't call it a rivalry.

Ego isn't always a bad thing.
(BTW, I hope you realize in a year or two you probably will have to change your signature to a player that will be a Pirate at the time.)

Stover4Prez
06-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I reiterate my original point. This argument is ridiculous on what a couple fans in the forum think about it. The "rivalry" or "big game" or "heated argument" or whatever the hell you want to call it has become a highlight of the NFL season now due to the similarity between the teams and the brutal type of football both clubs play. Yeah, you beat us three times and according to 6rings we gave you the last one (not my words, his). BUT, the games over the past couple years have been insanly close and amazingly GOOD football games. Yes you have beat us, but I think it is far from "domination." You all know that those games could have gone either way last year and the Ravens could have been #1 in the AFC. But they didn't and that's how the game goes. For those that claim this matchup hasn't become a highlight game in the NFL, you are wrong. Plain and simple. I don't care what you think personally about the "rival" or "not rival" or even the opinions of some whiney Browns fans (BTW, you got your colors, team, trophies, records, and legacy back, so CAN IT! We played by the rules and got screwed by Tagliabu, so take it up with him.....) this game has gained respect around the league. It won't last more than a couple more years is my guess, but for now it is a big deal.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
The Ravens will learn the lesson that several franchises have discovered the hard way (Like the Raiders, Cowboys, Chiefs, Redskins, etc), that it is incredibly hard to remain competitive year in and year out.

The Rats are a flash in the pan, and they are "up" right now. I don't see them getting back into the big game any time soon, and, as such, the Steelers will be their super bowl for the next few years until they inevitably slide back into mid-tier mediocrity, at which point the fans will jump back OFF the bandwagon and back ONTO the Redskins or whatever other team is winning some at the time.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the w horewagon, Ratfans...

Dino 6 Rings
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Steelers and Ravens are a rivalry.
Steelers and Cowboys are a rivalry.
Steelers and Patriots are a rivalry.

Steelers and Bengals is a joke.
Steelers and Browns are an even bigger of a joke.

Disagree, The Steelers and Patriots are not a rivalry. They don't consider us a Rival, their fans do not consider us a Rival, we don't beat them when it matters, in the Playoffs. So Until we do, they aren't a Rival. They are our Nemesis.

Steelers vs Raiders, Rivalry since 1972.
Steelers vs Browns, Rivalry since we both joined the league.
Steelers vs Cowboys, 3 super bowl matchups, Rivalry. Americas Team vs Greatest Franchise.

Ravens...without Ray Ray...are nothing but another team we play twice a year.

As I stated, who thinks the Colts were a rival when they were in Baltimore? Nobody. Who thinks the Orioles are a Rival? Nobody. Baltimore is not a Rivalry City.

Ravens fans can think what they want, they need "hope" anyway, their team is a joke, their defense is over rated (as I've pointed out with numerous stats, we have had the Better defense more times than them.) They have a very tough schedule this year and I look foward to seeing them pull another up and down year, this one being a down season. I'll be laughing by October at their patheticness and excuses.

The Ravens aspire to be the Steelers.

The Cowboys, Raiders, Browns, aspire to Beat the Steelers.

That's the Difference in a Rivalry.

Dino 6 Rings
06-16-2009, 11:33 AM

How cute of you to say "as if he has accomplished so much".

I have accomplished plenty in my life. As for being a Steelers fan, and a die hard one at that, I will not apologize for speaking in terms of We and Us when talking about MY STEELERS. 30+ years of following the same team will do that to a person.

So deal with it. Go get some WRs and win for 3 or more years in a row and beat Us in the playoffs sometime. Til then, your Ravens don't mean squat to me.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
The Rats, as a franchise, are about as classy as a velvet painting of Elvis taking a dump.

It makes it very difficult to muster any kind of respect for them or their goofy fans.

Rek
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
The Rats, as a franchise, are about as classy as a velvet painting of Elvis taking a dump.

It makes it very difficult to muster any kind of respect for them or their goofy fans.

http://www.supanet.com/media/00/15/37/elvis.jpg

Hmm...I'd hang that over my mantel. I think it's kind of classy. :flap:

revefsreleets
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Let me clarify: Fat Elvis. In a jumpsuit.

Rek
06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Let me clarify: Fat Elvis. In a jumpsuit.

http://www.filehive.com/files/090511/elvis-fat.gif

Yeah.....I get what you're saying now, it's not very appealing at all.....

wezx
06-18-2009, 03:53 PM
WOW, that Elvis thing is wrong...

I only truly HATE one team...and it's the Browns. Try living near Cleveland as a Steelers fan and you'll get the idea very quickly. I obviously have no love for the Ravens, but I don't hate them like the Browns. For me they ceased to be the Browns when they took up shop in Baltimore. I'm also NOT one of those who was sad to see the Browns be gone for 3 years because of the "rivavlry". I was thrilled when they left and wish they hadn't come back...I HATE THEM! My favorite shirt is my "Cleveland's Greatest Years" shirt with the 3 empty team photos for the years they were gone. Nothing would thrill me more than to see them dismantled permanently, but of course there's little hope of that.:chuckle::chuckle:

Incidentally, Rod Woodson has always been one of my favorite players and I was very happy to see him get a ring, even if it was with Baltimore.

wezx
06-18-2009, 03:57 PM
In regard to that "Cleveland's Greatest Years" shirt I especially love it because it's not crass or classless (like the kid peeing on the other team shirts - hate those).

When Browns fans first read it they think it's a Browns shirt because of the Orange lettering, but then all of a sudden they go "HEY, wait a minute!!!" HILARIOUS! :rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Incidentally, Rod Woodson has always been one of my favorite players and I was very happy to see him get a ring, even if it was with Baltimore.
See, another great point. I too rooted for and was happy for Rod Woodson, I didn't feel betrayed that he was a Raven.

Now two years for the Raiders. that made me Sick.

thumper
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Really, who cares? Who cares who says what is the biggest rivalry? We know the match up for what it is; I don't need anyone else telling me which match up is the biggest rivalry. It matters not.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Really, who cares? Who cares who says what is the biggest rivalry? We know the match up for what it is; I don't need anyone else telling me which match up is the biggest rivalry. It matters not.

Biggest Rivalry whoever we play this week!!!

Here We Go Steelers Here We Go!!!

:tt02::tt03::tt::tt03::tt::tt02:

wezx
06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Biggest Rivalry whoever we play this week!!!

Here We Go Steelers Here We Go!!!

:tt02::tt03::tt::tt03::tt::tt02:

Well said...