PDA

View Full Version : Porter challenges the colts... UGH !

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06012/636611.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joey Porter shattered the peace of sweet comments expressing deference for Steelers opponents yesterday when the Pro Bowl linebacker sneered at what he called the Indianapolis Colts' finesse style of play, and said they did not dare line up against the Steelers and play "football."

"They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football," Porter charged. "They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you. ... They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

Edgerrin James ran for 124 yards Nov. 28, ending the Steelers' streak of 22 games not allowing a 100-yard rusher. He carried 29 times and did not have a carry longer than 10 yards. But Porter even scoffed at that accomplishment.

"I still think it was a cheap 100."

After Indianapolis won, 26-7, in the RCA Dome, several Colts remarked that they had beaten the Steelers at their own game, using a physical style. Even wide receiver Marvin Harrison was penalized for fighting with cornerback Ike Taylor and grabbing his facemask.

"We just wanted to go out today and play a physical ballgame and show the world that we can do that when we need to," defensive tackle Corey Simon said after that win.

Porter was taken aback by that, and quickly veered from coach Bill Cowher's request to his players this week not to stir up the opponent with trash talk.

"I don't think they outhit us," Porter said. "If they would have outhit us, they would have just lined up, and they wouldn't have done all the audibles every play. If you want to outhit us, line up and play football. That's when you outhit us. Line up, you get your people, we got our eight men in the box, run the ball."

The Colts run a no-huddle offense that relies heavily on Peyton Manning's precision passing game. They ranked third in the NFL in passing and 16th in rushing, although James did rush for 1,506 yards this season. Porter said James was not a physical runner.

"He's not the run-over type. He just leans forward. It's not like he's just out there to truck nobody. He's not a Jerome [Bettis] or nothing like that. He's one of those guys who has good balance and if you don't wrap him up, he's going to stay on his feet."

Porter said they pick up cheap yards on the ground when they have defenses spread out to defend against the pass.

"Don't try to run the ball when we're in the 3-2 sub package!" Porter said. "We have three down linemen, then you try to run the ball. That's not outhitting us; that's trying to outthink us."

The more Porter talked in the locker room after practice, the more momentum he gained on the topic. He at least acknowledged that the no-huddle offense should not be banned, but that doesn't mean he has to respect it.

"They can't say that finesse game is physical; it's clearly not physical. If they were a physical football team like that, they would just do what we do, line up and run the football. You know what I mean? That's not the way they want to do it. They want to try to catch you off guard. That's the way they want to play."

Porter said he was unaware the Colts boasted about being physical with the Steelers after that Nov. 28 game.

"Now that you said they outhit us, that's giving me a little more extra motivation to make sure I put on my big boy pads and make sure we do some hitting out there."

Porter said to get the Colts out of their game, the Steelers have to get a quick lead, or at least prevent Indianapolis from doing so. He said the Colts weren't stout enough to play the kind of game the Steelers do.

"Nah, nah. They won't just sit up and run on us. They have to have the play-action in there. Just sitting up there, lining up and running against us isn't going to happen. ...

"They want you to get up there, arguing, switch people around and make you switch people around, catch you when you're not ready. That's their game plan. That's the way they play. Hopefully we can change their game into our game, turn it into a smash-mouth football game."

The Colts outgained the Steelers, 366-197, in November, and the Steelers lost one more turnover. Indianapolis led at halftime, 16-7, and ran that to 23-7 after Bill Cowher's choice to try a fake onside kick to open the second half failed and the Colts turned it into a touchdown.

"We missed a field goal, we had some false starts in crucial situations," Porter said. "I feel like we missed some opportunities we had. The game could have been much closer than it was. When you squander opportunities like that and they take advantage of theirs, then the score comes out like it is and it looks like that.

"But they know they were in a game

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Joey is one of my favorite players on the Steelers.. He's awesome and an emotional leader for us..but damn, we dont need to be giving them any bulletin board material..even if it was mean to fire us up instead..

augustashark
01-12-2006, 12:50 AM
though I agree with some of what he said, I agree with you BRC. He needs to prepare and just be quite right now. We don't need to throw gas on the fire!

He is right on one point that the physical part of Indy is not there O. Their D however did play very physical! He plays defence so he is talking about their O and with that I would agree with him.

He should have brought this all up after we won!

Koopa
01-12-2006, 12:55 AM
damn it, if porter doesn't show up and we lose bad i hope he is cut just for being a ******** and not stepping up against a team he is talkin shit about

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Cowher preached all week so far about being tough, playing the best game of our lives, a stellar effort to beat the colts. The last thing we need is to have them get more fired up...

but hey if you're gonna be the best u gotta beat the best so we'll see.

augustashark
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Cowher preached all week so far about being tough, playing the best game of our lives, a stellar effort to beat the colts. The last thing we need is to have them get more fired up...

but hey if you're gonna be the best u gotta beat the best so we'll see.

I know, I agree. Whats said is said. Now lets go out and back it up. Thats all you can do.

workhorse
01-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Last year the Broncos harped all week before their playoff game with the Colts that the Colts were soft and a finesse team. You might want to ask them how well that work out. Especially Champ Bailey after Marvin tattooed him.

Koopa
01-12-2006, 02:20 AM
well last years broncos team ain't got shit on the steelers so don't try makin yourself feel better by comparing us to them

workhorse
01-12-2006, 02:51 AM
well last years broncos team ain't got shit on the steelers so don't try makin yourself feel better by comparing us to them

Don't need to make my self feel better. Just pointing out it's better to let your play do the talking.

Ambridge
01-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Sometimes I wish Joey would just STFU!!!

hmmmmmmmm
01-12-2006, 05:31 AM
Lol Porter must really not know shit about football if he thinks its just about hitting people. Tryin to talk down on people cause they use their brains and speed to get the W.

I dont think itll give the Colts anymore motivation then they already have after all the shit that has happened. Its not gonna throw Dungy off and try making him run run run to prove Porter wrong or anything....all its gonna do is piss alot of people off if the Steelers dont show up...or make alot of people think he was right if they win

Tim
01-12-2006, 06:55 AM
LOL... I thought that was great.

Justin Otstott
01-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Last year the Broncos harped all week before their playoff game with the Colts that the Colts were soft and a finesse team. You might want to ask them how well that work out. Especially Champ Bailey after Marvin tattooed him.

Thing is your talking about the Bronc-hoes and not the Steelers...two different teams and I must agree with Porter yall's O are a bunch of pussies with a lucky D to back them up!

Tim
01-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Heh.. they just played some of Porter's comments and read the PG story on Mike and Mike... it's gonna get ugly out there today ;)

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2006, 08:24 AM
In another thread last night I posted a link to an article where the Steelers were saying all the right things about the Colts being a great team, how nobody is giving the Steelers a chance, and the Steelers just need to worry about playing their game (link to article below). In that post, I reserved concluding it was an official party line until Porter was heard from.

Well, Porter has once again been heard from - if he backs it up, great. Nevertheless, for once he should attempt to listen to the message his teammates are trying to put out and, just for the h*** of it, keep his f***ing mouth shut for once.

I say this not because I believe "bulletin board" material gets pro athletes geeked up for playoff games but because I am simply tired of Porter's trash talking, notably the garbage during pre-game warm-ups that puts the refs on the lookout to throw an early flag for unsportsmanlike conduct to keep the game under control. Cowher needs to tell Porter to shut up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

ngreene15
01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Sometimes I wish Joey would just STFU!!!
He can back up his talk.... I love it when he's talkin' trash before the game

Did anyone see on NFL Sounds of the Game on the NFL Network... Joey was on the oxygen tank and Bengal fans were harpin' at him, so he goes "See what you made me do... I'm tired... Tired ahh kicken all ya asses."

Rinkleroot
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I'll never understand why some players have to talk **** before a game, I guess it shows just how Stupid some players really are!!

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
remember when lee flowers called the tampa bay bucks "paper champions"? that tony dungy led team went out and folded up like a paper bag. sure it was the regular season and the bucs did go on to win a champ the following year. but the comments did work in firing the underdog steelers up for the game. maybe this has the same effect.

this week, dungy remarked on j. bettis throwing for a td in that game too.

SteelCityPride
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Rinkle,

Have you ever played football above the Midget Level? Football is a game of intense emotion. If you don't have extremely strong emotions going into a game you can't have a pulse. Players trash talking happens in every spoting event. Nothing gets me more excited than to feel or see the emotions running through a player whether he is spilling his guts trash talking because he knows that his teammates will step up and back him up or whether it is through their emotions on the field. Porter is one of the most emotional and therefore most exciting players for me to watch. Hines Ward is the same way, the two have contrasting styles with Ward not talking as much smack but the smile on his face tells you how much he loves the game. I would follow either of these guys into battle.

All I have to say is everyone is talking how the steelers got manhandled in the first meeting. 16-7 at halftime, game still reasonable, we dont recover onside kick in second half that leads to 23-7, not out of control. Steelers with a healthy Marvel Smith and Ben who is playing great the past few games just needs their defense to put up a few big stops or just hold them to 3's and the Steelers are gonna do it.

SteelerFanInCA
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Rinkle,

Have you ever played football above the Midget Level? Football is a game of intense emotion. If you don't have extremely strong emotions going into a game you can't have a pulse. Players trash talking happens in every spoting event. Nothing gets me more excited than to feel or see the emotions running through a player whether he is spilling his guts trash talking because he knows that his teammates will step up and back him up or whether it is through their emotions on the field. Porter is one of the most emotional and therefore most exciting players for me to watch. Hines Ward is the same way, the two have contrasting styles with Ward not talking as much smack but the smile on his face tells you how much he loves the game. I would follow either of these guys into battle.

All I have to say is everyone is talking how the steelers got manhandled in the first meeting. 16-7 at halftime, game still reasonable, we dont recover onside kick in second half that leads to 23-7, not out of control. Steelers with a healthy Marvel Smith and Ben who is playing great the past few games just needs their defense to put up a few big stops or just hold them to 3's and the Steelers are gonna do it.
Agreed. Talking smack is part of the game. Always has been and always will.:boxing:

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
With regard to those that contend Porter's latest rant is just "Joey being Joey" and a necessary method of Porter getting ready for game time, the following story is in the P-G Black & Gold Insider today:

"Joey Porter went and did it. Russ Grimm told the wrong guy to keep his mouth shut. He told Hines Ward. But then, Bill Cowher told all of his players not to incite the enemy and it only took Porter his first day back before he took some gasoline and a match to the Colts. He did everything but call them wussies. He obviously does not subscribe to the theory of letting a sleeping horse lie. Maybe there's a reason behind it. Maybe he believes he can knock them off their game if he challenges them to get down and dirty with the Steelers. But I don't think so. I love him for doing it because it makes for a great story (LB Porter challenges Colts), but I don't think it's going to go over very big when that Post-Gazette hits Cowher's desk this morning."

When you look at that P-G story and the quotes coming from everyone else on the team this week, it is clear Cowher told everyone to tone down the talking. Only Porter did not do it.

My take is that Porter sounding off has nothing to do with "playing with emotion" and everything to do with Porter wanting to get his quotes in the paper and face on TV during pre-game (as evidenced by the tiresome pre-game woofing that got him tossed from the Browns game last year and which CBS showed before last Sunday's game).

This is nothing beyond Porter being infatuated with being the center of attention; just because you are a Pro Bowl level talent (see, e.g., Chad Johnson) does not excuse conduct that the coaches have requested be shut down.

SteelCityPride
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree that if he was asked not to stir anything up then he should have listened, however, I will not say that I am against him talking the way he did. When you play football there is a level of respect that players keep and if they feel like they are being disrespected they are going to do what they have to do to even out the line. Every player has different characteristics and different ways of handling themselves, the type of player Joey is, what would anyone else expect and once again I am going to stick with emotions. It may not come down to "playing with emotion" but just the entire bank of emotions he puts towards the game, towards his team. So, I am not arguing that Joey was right in going out and running off at the chops when he was specifically told not to, but I will say that other that that I have no other problem with it.

MichiSteeler
01-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Joey and all. And i agree with him. All they do is audible... Stack the box.. audible to pass... Spread em out... audible to run.. They really dont play physical football. I agree with him, but by the slim chance we loose, thats just more gun powder for the blasts we'll be receiving:redface:

Sharkissle29
01-12-2006, 04:08 PM
i dont care what you guys think, i love how joey porter talks his mind. you can tell he wants revenge this week...

Eztarget
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
What idiotic statements by Porter.

Yeah, those pesky Colts are trying to "trick" them Steelers into losing. How dare they use their speed to win by throwing the ball. (Like the Steelers trick play last week was "smash mouth" football).

Why not just lineup all 53 guys per team and have a tug of war? That way the "tougher" team can win.

Hey Porter THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK! :dang:

SteelCityPride
01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
EZ Target,

So do you think the Colts could beat the steelers in a 53 man tog of war? I sure don't... Bettis is Anchor baby.

Hypothetically speaking, what will everyone say if the Steelers beat the Colts?
- Oh they rested too much
- Coach Dungy wasn't in the right mindset
- Maybe, they looked ahead a little too soon

I wanna be prepared for the excuse....

figg
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Joey is one of my favorite players on the Steelers.. He's awesome and an emotional leader for us..but damn, we dont need to be giving them any bulletin board material..even if it was mean to fire us up instead..

He doesnt know when to shut up :dang:

clevestinks
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Well I wasnt looking forward to smack from us. They have enough motivation, with Dungy`s tragedy and all

Ambridge
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
He can back up his talk.... I love it when he's talkin' trash before the game.

Joey would be an All-World player if he played half as good as he talks. For all of the yapping he does there have been some games where you didn't even realize he was on the field.

Just shut up and play the damn game....Joey.:rolleyes:

VegasStlrFan
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
How tough is it to just shut up and play? The Colts haven't been really focused since the Chargers game a month ago, and now they have bulletin board material to focus their intensity. I wish they would keep these guys away from the microphones.

SteelCityMan786
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey Joey Just Keep your mouth shut man. Let the Colts Get ****y.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2006, 09:50 PM
In another thread last night I posted a link to an article where the Steelers were saying all the right things about the Colts being a great team, how nobody is giving the Steelers a chance, and the Steelers just need to worry about playing their game (link to article below). In that post, I reserved concluding it was an official party line until Porter was heard from.

Well, Porter has once again been heard from - if he backs it up, great. Nevertheless, for once he should attempt to listen to the message his teammates are trying to put out and, just for the h*** of it, keep his f***ing mouth shut for once.

I say this not because I believe "bulletin board" material gets pro athletes geeked up for playoff games but because I am simply tired of Porter's trash talking, notably the garbage during pre-game warm-ups that puts the refs on the lookout to throw an early flag for unsportsmanlike conduct to keep the game under control. Cowher needs to tell Porter to shut up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Make no mistake about it, every NFL team has people who search and keep an eye/ear out for all potential smack talk from the opposing team each week. It goes right up in the locker room and in the tunnel on the way out too. You shouldnt need motivation for a playoff game but never the less, the coaches will use it to their advantage. The Steelers do it, everybody does.

Joey is an awesome player, one of my favorites as most people know, but damn dude, we were doing well at keeping a low profile !!!

workhorse
01-13-2006, 02:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Joey and all. And i agree with him. All they do is audible... Stack the box.. audible to pass... Spread em out... audible to run.. They really dont play physical football. I agree with him, but by the slim chance we loose, thats just more gun powder for the blasts we'll be receiving:redface:

Did you actually think about this before you hit the submit button? The Colts challenge the defense to stop them. They don't substitue, they call the play at the line and say "stop us if you can". Do you think any team in the league does not try to exploit the team they are playing against? You don't think that Ben takes advantage of teams stacking the box to stop the run?

As far as playing physical football...how'd those physical Steelers and their punsihing ground game do against that finesse team last time? Oh ya, they had that one scoring drive of seven yards.

SteelCityPride
01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Did you actually think about this before you hit the submit button? The Colts challenge the defense to stop them. They don't substitue, they call the play at the line and say "stop us if you can". Do you think any team in the league does not try to exploit the team they are playing against? You don't think that Ben takes advantage of teams stacking the box to stop the run?

As far as playing physical football...how'd those physical Steelers and their punsihing ground game do against that finesse team last time? Oh ya, they had that one scoring drive of seven yards.
Don't get yourself too fired up thinking the physical steelers laid an egg last game. Since Marvel Smith has been back I believe we have the highest points per game of any team in the NFL. With Ben playing first game off of knee surgery he wasnt able to make many plays downfield to lossen up the 9 guys in the box. I love it, just wait, stack those 9 guys in there cuz one of these times we will get 9 black shirts on 9 blue shirts and Willie will break that first level and go the distance. So as for everyone talking trash about how the steelers sucked the past game, yeah they did, but guess what, we'll see what you have to say Sunday night. I think you are all in for a pleasant surprise.

workhorse
01-13-2006, 11:42 AM
You better hope your boys don't wait until Sunday night to show up, since it's a 1:00 game. :dang:

SteelCityPride
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Dood, I was saying wait till sunday night cuz then the game will be over and we'll know how things went.....

tony hipchest
01-13-2006, 11:46 AM
You better hope your boys don't wait until Sunday night to show up, since it's a 1:00 game. :dang:

got reading comprehension???:dang:

workhorse
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Don't get yourself too fired up thinking the physical steelers laid an egg last game. Since Marvel Smith has been back I believe we have the highest points per game of any team in the NFL. With Ben playing first game off of knee surgery he wasnt able to make many plays downfield to lossen up the 9 guys in the box. I love it, just wait, stack those 9 guys in there cuz one of these times we will get 9 black shirts on 9 blue shirts and Willie will break that first level and go the distance. So as for everyone talking trash about how the steelers sucked the past game, yeah they did, but guess what, we'll see what you have to say Sunday night. I think you are all in for a pleasant surprise.

Pleasant surprise? You mean the Colts will win by even more this time around? Cool! I guess it's not going to be a surprise now, but I'll take it anyway.

SteelCityPride
01-13-2006, 01:14 PM
It sure is a good thing the Colts fans can talk trash. You guys have played great football lately haven't you? I mean heck nothing like losing to San Diego and letting Merriman chase Manning around all afternoon long, or wait maybe you guys weren';t trying that game either. Gosh I forgot that the you guys went undefeated this season. Just wait till Bettis and Parker get out there running the ball all over the place. And I will stand up and applaud when Joey porter is standing above Manning who is face down on the ground.

workhorse
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
It sure is a good thing the Colts fans can talk trash. You guys have played great football lately haven't you? I mean heck nothing like losing to San Diego and letting Merriman chase Manning around all afternoon long, or wait maybe you guys weren';t trying that game either. Gosh I forgot that the you guys went undefeated this season. Just wait till Bettis and Parker get out there running the ball all over the place. And I will stand up and applaud when Joey porter is standing above Manning who is face down on the ground.

As I seem to remember Bettis and Parker played last time, but they just didn't show up. So the Colts lost a game or two...how many did the Steelers lose? I don't quite get your point with that line of thinking. BTW, if you haven't noticed, Merriman is a stud. I'm sure you'd love to see him in black and gold.

tony hipchest
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
As I seem to remember Bettis and Parker played last time, but they just didn't show up. So the Colts lost a game or two...how many did the Steelers lose? I don't quite get your point with that line of thinking. BTW, if you haven't noticed, Merriman is a stud. I'm sure you'd love to see him in black and gold. i wish we coulda got a player of his calibur in last years draft. he would be a great back-up in the black and gold, especcially now that harrison is doubtful.

SteelCityPride
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
As I seem to remember Bettis and Parker played last time, but they just didn't show up. So the Colts lost a game or two...how many did the Steelers lose? I don't quite get your point with that line of thinking. BTW, if you haven't noticed, Merriman is a stud. I'm sure you'd love to see him in black and gold.

:dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:
Dont need merriman when we have Joey porter and James Farrior. Boy, our defense and secondary made the colts look straight stupid. Hope you enjoyed the game.

24seven
01-17-2006, 11:15 AM
think that guy will show his mug up in here again?? prolly not lol....back to being just a packmule instead of a workhorse.

SteelerFanInCA
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Workhorse? Where are yooooooooooooooooou?