PDA

View Full Version : Kornheiser out on MNF

rbryan
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
There is a God. Just saw it on Yahoo. He's afraid to fly so Gruden is taking his place.

ShutDown24
05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Seriously? Took them long enough.

Fire Haley
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Good riddance Cornholio. He was a waste. This can only be an improvement.

stlrtruck
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
It's Gruden. We'll see how much of a difference he is. I hope he can be better than Korn-holio!

OneForTheToe
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
It is about time. Unlike some here I like Tony. He has a very good sence of self-deprecating humor. On PTI he is great - most of the time.

Unfortunately, they put him on MNF to help promote PTI and he was terrible from day one. He had no business in that booth anymore than any of us did. They should have killed that experiment after the first season.

At first the flying thing seemed like kind of a farce, but it could be.

Here is the quote from Tony:

Kornheiser added: “I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons. I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would’ve frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself. If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden. He is the two things you most want — smart and funny — and has the two things I don’t — good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with Wilbon until the end of time.”

I'm not sure how I feel about "chucky" in the booth. He obviously knows football. It remains to be seen if he can explain it in an informative manner.

Here's hoping the R:chuckle:aiders make it back on MNF.

rbryan
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I would have been fine with two in the booth. Adding a 3rd voice, regardless of who it is, promotes the idea that the more "mindless babble" the better.

Its a football game ...not a variety show. But don't tell that to the masterminds at Disney. We're lucky they didn't replace him with Hanna Montana.

Cheppy
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Great news... Kornheiser was just unbearable at times & I hope having the third person being able to actually provide football knowledge & insight sticks for years to come. The whole comic relief angle is tired. There was only one Howard Cossell.

fansince'76
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow - I might actually start watching MNF games again even if the Steelers aren't playing. Still won't watch any of the rest of the crap on that network, though.

HometownGal
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank God I won't have to look at that nasty combover anymore. :yuck: I never liked Kornheiser but wish him well.

I'm looking forward to Chucky in the booth! His facial expressions have always been priceless and the man knows his shit. :thumbsup::applaudit: Plus - he's a lot easier on the eyes than KornDog.

fansince'76
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm looking forward to Chucky in the booth! His facial expressions have always been priceless and the man knows his shit. :thumbsup::applaudit:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n280/daughterofolaf/GrudenVsChucky2.jpg

:chuckle:

Steel-Bryan
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n280/daughterofolaf/GrudenVsChucky2.jpg

:chuckle:

LOL

Psyychoward86
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I never cared much for the guy, but is Gruden really a huge upgrade? :screwy:. I think he's funny when he yells, but i hope he doesnt bring it to work :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-18-2009, 06:33 PM
I like Kornheiser on PTI, but didn't care for him on MNF.

I would have been fine with just Jaworski and Tirico, but Gruden knows his stuff so it should be interesting.

Crushzilla
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
That's probably the greatest "just got canned" quote I've ever read.

jjpro11
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
glad they got rid of him.. they need to get rid of Jaws next.. i don't care how much football knowledge he adds, he hates the Steelers and i do not like him.

steelerdave1969
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
There is a God. Just saw it on Yahoo. He's afraid to fly so Gruden is taking his place.

The guy pretty much sucked anyway... glad to see him gone. I am not a big fan of Gruden, but he really cant be any worst..

steelerdave1969
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
glad they got rid of him.. they need to get rid of Jaws next.. i don't care how much football knowledge he adds, he hates the Steelers and i do not like him.

He is just jealous the Eagles cant win one championship little less 6... :rofl:

lilyoder6
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
he's been doing MNF for 3 yrs.. and now he complains that he has a fear of flying?!?!?!?

what a moron.. just stay on pti and u'll be liked

steel striker
05-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I did not like Kornheiser on MNF but. I watch PTI that is ok. Hopefully Chucky will do a better job. The thing that cracks me up is how in love Kornhole was with the cheaters & Brady.

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Dunno, like Gruden (as a personality) but he was fairly bland during the draft imo.

tony hipchest
05-24-2009, 01:40 AM
he's been doing MNF for 3 yrs.. and now he complains that he has a fear of flying?!?!?!?

what a moron.. just stay on pti and u'll be liked

he's always pimped his john maddenesque bus. its not like his fear of flying has just become known or is he complaining.

as for whis work...

just re-watch him calling the bears vs. cardinals on MNF in '06. one of the finest pieces from a non-know it all blowhard as you will ever see or hear. he left all the "experts" in the dust on that one.

good stuff. however, kornhole never was the "answer" as ruden will not be either. should be good for a year or 2 though.

they could have ernie and bert calling the games and i would still tune in.

St33lersguy
05-24-2009, 08:34 AM
:celebrate it's about time

PeckerWood
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM

:drink::applaudit::tt02::tt03::thumbsup::chuckle:: laughing::rofl:

HughC
05-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I feel like Kornheiser was some suit at ABC/ESPN/Disney's latest attempt to repeat what Howard Cossell was - a third guy in the booth who attracted mass viewers in large part because they hated him. It's been going on for a while at ABC/ESPN, with their choices of Kornheiser, Dennis Miller, Rush Limbaugh, etc.

To me, the fact they are going with a former football coach rather than a 'personality' is a huge shift in strategy. It is like they are saying 'forget trying to draw casual fans' that are debating between American Idol and Monday Night Football. They finally figured out that what happened back then won't be repeated because there are now more than three networks.

Cater to your core audience rather than trying to be everything to everybody; sports is now a niche market with the exception of the Super Bowl.
This change is good for NFL fans, and will also help the network.