PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expect to cross the pond soon

mesaSteeler
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Steelers expect to cross the pond soon
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/05/steelers-expect-to-cross-pond-soon.html

Given the team's high profile and the fact the league is looking at adding a second NFL game overseas in 2010, some in the Steelers organization expect the Steelers to be picked for a regular season international game - if not in 2010, then in 2011.

Pittsburgh would lose a home game something that could be made up if the league goes to a 17- or 18-game scheduled and would have a big travel week in the middle of its schedule.

As for possible game locations, I would look no farther than the country for which team chairman is this country's ambassador.

The Steelers played the Chicago Bears in Dublin in the 1997 preseason and the game was a rousing success.

NFL owners will meet this week in Fort Lauderdale and one of the big topics will be a rookie wage scale.

Even veteran players admit the rookie wage scale has gotten out of control. Look for the NFL to come up with something akin to what the NBA does with its rookie and slot the salaries.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 11:59 AM

(Lose a home game!!!!! BullS@hit!!!!! - mesa)

86WARD
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I hate every aspect of the NFL playing internationally.

Psyychoward86
05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
son of a bitch.

BlastFurnace
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't care if foreign countries get to see the NFL play. It's our game...it needs to be played in the U.S.

Let them enjoy soccer. Leave football to us.

Stang909
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
its the NATIONAL football league for a reason

Preacher
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Funny thing, Ireland would be a great place... it WOULD be a home game basically!

Steely McSmash
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Keep it to the pre-season or maybe some post-season exhibition between some eliminated playoff teams the week before the superbowl.

If they do this, perhaps schedule those teams a bye week afterwords.

jev7452
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
hmm i dont like the idea of playing overseas buutttttttt if our boys did have to, i would like it to be in ireland

StainlessStill
05-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I hate this also. Just keep the game in the States for Christ sake.

Nighthawk
05-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who hates the idea of this. If it has to be done, then I guess Ireland would be the desired location just due to the ties there with Rooney. Still though, i'd prefer for our team to not play there if at all possible. Even though most of europe loves the steelers :)

jjpro11
05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
i hate this too.. the furthest i want to see a game played, if it must be played internationally, is Mexico or Canada. those Mexican fans were crazy for the Cardinals-49ers game a few years ago. it was pretty cool actually. i don't think the NFL will ever do well in Canada, but if they must, it is still better than Europe.

Galax Steeler
05-19-2009, 04:27 AM
I don't like the idea either I think they need to leave it along and just play the game in the states.

srk173
05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
as long as they dont take a home game from us. make it the game at bengals that they can barely sell out or something.

stillers4me
05-19-2009, 07:15 AM
This is a stupid idea. They giving all the revenues from home games to a foreign city. stupid stupid stupid.

Detective
05-19-2009, 08:59 AM
I would hate to see a regular season game in Europe.. although pre-season wouldn't be so bad.. if there was no real importance when it came to the outcome of the game, I'm sure the players wouldn't mind too much making the trip. I doubt the ticket sales would be any less because it's a preseason game.

madtowndrunkard
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers play in Ireland. I don't live in Pittsburgh so losing a home game means nothing to me.

If they played in Ireland though, there would be a very good chance I'd get to be at that game. What better excuse to plan a trip to Eire?

If the league had any brains they would make the Steelers an over sees tradition after they add a couple more games to the regular season. It's gong to happen...you will see an 18 game season soon. So why not?

Sort of like the Lions and Dallas on Thanksgiving...the steelers should play one game per year in Dublin. Then match them up with teams like the Bears, Giants, Jets, and Patriots .....all cities with very large Irish populations. It would be a huge success.

The city of Pittsburgh may not like that idea, but as a business man trying to promote my product I'd be all over that.

Mexico is another country that has a pretty big steeler following. Having a Steeler vs Cardinals or Cowbows game in Mexico city would also be a huge attraction.

As much as we all might hate this idea....there is a price for having the biggest fan base and a history of success. The Steelers are known world wide. I'd say only a few teams in the league have that kind of recognition and if the NFL wants to tap the euro market and/or the Latin market then the steelers would probably be the best option to do this. The Giants, Cowboys, Bears, Patriots, and Packers are the only other teams I can think of that would draw any interest outside of the US.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Can they draw enough of a crowd in Ireland???

I still think it would be most likely a place that had NFL Europe like London, Frankfurt or Barcelona.

madtowndrunkard
05-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Ireland and England have a strong rugby tradition....and pretty close ties to the US. Both countries are full of sports fanatics.

They know the NFL exists unlike many other countries. Any smart business man would go after those two markets (Ireland and England) Then who knows maybe some time in the future England/Ireland could have a team of their own in the NFL. Add a team in Mexico city as well and our game would be truly international.

Rather then add a couple teams....the better idea would be to move the Browns to Mexico and the Bengals to London. Both franchises are a total joke and their fan base is an embarrassment to the league anyway. Flying to either city is less then 8 hours for most teams. It could work. The Cardinals would probably be the best bet to move to Mexico. They can barely sell out playoff games. Knowing the NFL they'll just add more franchises.

Then just sign a couple well known rugby or soccer players to each team and they'll sell out every game.

The NFL wants international interest.....the logical move some day in the future is to have teams in other countries.

madtowndrunkard
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

I still think it would be most likely a place that had NFL Europe like London, Frankfurt or Barcelona.

I do believe they sold out the last time we played in Dublin. Dublin is a major city with a serious sports tradition and its only about a 20minute flight from London. The Irish government would do anything to get the NFL in their country on a regular basis....and the US Irish ambassador just happens to be an owner of the greatest franchise in NFL history. Seems to make perfect sense.....though some might not like the conflict of interest. You typically don't want your ambassadors working out personal business deals while representing the US. But that's the American way now isn't it?

London would probably make the most sense just because of advertising $. The only other country that could possibly support a regular season game IMO would be Mexico.

simonsfs30
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
brown to mexico??????? no way leave them to canada or europe

mmmm ok maybe its a good idea browns go to mexico so i can see the steelers once in a year that would be good

im from mexico and i dont like teams playing in europe neither mexico but if u bring the steelers here im sure its a home game
the niners are popular here in mexico but not as much as the steelers
im hoping they come to play here in mexico if its a preseason game i dont care as long as i got to see the players around

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Why would they lose a home game? Why can't they lose an away game? To maintain balance, doesn't one of the two teams playing have to lose an away game to even things out?

Vincent
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd like to see the cheats play the cowfelons in Tehran. :chuckle:

The Duke
05-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see the cheats play the cowfelons in Tehran. :chuckle:

or....just send them to nicaragua. I'm sure their fans will show up

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02142008/news/worldnews/pats_nicaragua/photo01.jpg

Vincent
05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
or....just send them to nicaragua. I'm sure their fans will show up

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02142008/news/worldnews/pats_nicaragua/photo01.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l::rofl:

Aagren
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree that the game is played in the national football legau in USA, but since I'm from Denmark, Northern Europe, I would love to see my team in a game in Europe - Have been a steelers fan since 1993 and have seen 3 games in the US since 2005 with the steelers and 5 other games in NFL. :tt02:
I think you will find that the Steelers have atleast as many fans in Europe as any other team and there are more than 2 million NFL fans in Europe dying to see a Football game live - not just on the TV. I do not want the players or the Steelers fans to loose a hime game for a trip to Europe but I would love to see them play in Europe non the less. And what ever we say in here will not matter anyway.

Go steelers - Lets get number 7 this year :helmet:

:tt: :tt03::tt03: :sign04:

:champs:

KeiselPower99
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Make us the road team. Dont take a game away from Pittsburgh. Stupid Goodell

CPanther95
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
If they go to 17 games, let every team play a neutral/international game and nobody loses a home game.

nojobny
05-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Surely you jest. The Steelers have the best road crowds ANYWHERE. When ever I travel abroad I always see Steeler fans. And not just transplanted americans or tourist.

I wouldn't mind going to Ireland or anywhere else in Europe just don't make it Japan! That is waaaay too far to fly.

And we definitely should not be the ones to lose a home game, I think Mr. Rooney has enough pull that he'll see to that.

JackHammer
05-20-2009, 05:46 AM
I agree that the game is played in the national football legau in USA, but since I'm from Denmark, Northern Europe, I would love to see my team in a game in Europe - Have been a steelers fan since 1993 and have seen 3 games in the US since 2005 with the steelers and 5 other games in NFL. :tt02:
I think you will find that the Steelers have atleast as many fans in Europe as any other team and there are more than 2 million NFL fans in Europe dying to see a Football game live - not just on the TV. I do not want the players or the Steelers fans to loose a hime game for a trip to Europe but I would love to see them play in Europe non the less. And what ever we say in here will not matter anyway.

Go steelers - Lets get number 7 this year :helmet:

:tt: :tt03::tt03: :sign04:

:champs:

CHEERS! :cheers:

OneForTheToe
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Rather then add a couple teams....the better idea would be to move the Browns to Mexico and the Bengals to London. Both franchises are a total joke and their fan base is an embarrassment to the league anyway. Flying to either city is less then 8 hours for most teams. It could work. The Cardinals would probably be the best bet to move to Mexico. They can barely sell out playoff games. Knowing the NFL they'll just add more franchises.

While I am not in the usual practice of defending brown stain fans, why would the NFL move the Browns away from Cleveland? Whatever you think about some of their fans, they support their pathetic excuse for a team. They sell out every game and contunue, in delusion, to think every year that this is the year they will finally beat the Steelers.:rofl:
Still, taking the team away from them after the NFL gave them a new franchise a few years back would be ridiculous even for Goodell.

The bungles don't have as strong a base, but they are hardly the least supported team in the league, even if they deserve to be treated as so. The Cardinals definately are populated with FW fans, but I doubt the NFL would give up a franchise in the Phoenix market. I don't think any existing teams are moving out of country, but Carolina and Jacksonvillie would be better candidates, IMO. I could also see Buffalo furthering their share a team concept with Toronto in the future (4 home games each).

OneForTheToe
05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
This is a stupid idea. They giving all the revenues from home games to a foreign city. stupid stupid stupid.

While I am not thrilled with the idea of losing a home game, I think the NFL reimburses the teams for the lost home game revenue.

Let's just hope they forget about us for a while.

CPanther95
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
2 in England, 1 in Ireland, Germany, Hawaii, Los Angeles, Alaska, Japan, China......

I can see them being able to come up with 16 neutral sites - and being able to back them up to each teams' Bye week. Then nobody loses a home game and everyone has to travel some distance (granted, some more than others). They can try to send primarily West Coast teams to Asia and East Coast teams to the Western US venues so nobody gets the advantage of a "local" neutral site.

Of course, this only works if they go to 17 games.

BritishSteel
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
It's an interesting point.

Frankly I don't really care if the NFL play abroad or not - obviously the League like the idea as a source of revenue but, given that the NFL Europe sank and drowned, I doubt that there's much money in it as an ongoing concern unless the NFL actually base a franchise somewhere overseas.

That might, of course be the long-term aim (and whilst it'll never, ever in a million years compete with association football in the UK - sorry, can't bring myself to use the term 'soccer', there's enough interest UK wide to sustain a franchise I think) and in those circumstances I can see the point.

For what it's worth an NFL franchise would sell out in the UK, but it would need a new stadium (there's no way the FA, the owners of Wembley would allow a 'London Royals' NFL franchise to play say 8 games a season there) and with London real estate prices what they are, that's a massive investment right away.

I'd love to see the Steelers at Wembley, or Croke Park in Dublin for that matter, but I saw 'em at Three Rivers and at Heinz Field already, so although it would save me the best part of $1000, you kind of know the score as far as geography and timezone differences when you start to follow the NFL over here. I've been doing it since '83 and the fact that The Steelers might play over here doesn't really change much for me.

Actually, thinking about it, whilst cost obviously prevents me from making anything but the odd game every two or three years, there's something about the time-zone difference and that fact that it's played on another continent that actually makes the NFL more attractive to me. I can watch football (sorry, association football) pretty much every week of the year over here, but I do like the fact that, for the most part Sunday Night is Steelers Night!