PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger's Charity Provides Police Dogs

mesaSteeler
05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger's Charity Provides Pa. Police Dog
http://www.wpxi.com/sports/19501325/detail.html

Posted: 8:11 am EDT May 19, 2009Updated: 8:28 am EDT May 19, 2009
CAMBRIDGE SPRINGS, Pa. -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is helping a northwestern Pennsylvania police department fight crime.

The Cambridge Springs police department used $8,000 from the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation to care for and equip a new 2-year-old German shepherd. The department paid $11,000 for the dog, which was raised in a community fundraiser.

Roethlisberger's foundation provides funding to train, equip and purchase police dogs. The foundation has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for service dogs used by police and fire departments in Pennsylvania, Roethlisberger's home state of Ohio and elsewhere.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Galax Steeler
05-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Just another great thing Ben helping out. Go's to show you what kind of guy he is.

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 07:12 AM
The K-9 program is just wonderful. The police department in the borough where I live received funds from The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation earlier this year to get the department a new K-9 dog, as our long-time buddy, Ranger, had to be put down due to cancer in his hips last year. :tombstone:

Thank you Big Ben! :hatsoff::thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice charity to support for sure ... Police dogs are very cool... do a great job....and are well taken care of in most cases...

Godfather
05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe Michael Vick could donate to Ben's foundation as part of his penance.

He's already met with the head of the Humane Society.

mesaSteeler
07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Roethlisberger's foundation to donate $8,000 to Jeannette police for care of dog
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/westmoreland/s_633564.html
About the writer

Paul Paterra can be reached via e-mail or at 724-836-6220.

The Jeannette Police Department will be on the receiving end of an $8,000 pass from Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers quarterback will make the donation through the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation, which gives money to police and fire departments, particularly those with service dogs.

"It's great that we're able to acquire this money for the upkeep of our dog," said police Chief Jeff Stahl. "We don't have to request the money from the city."

Wando, a German shepherd, has been with the police department since 2005 and has been the constant companion of Officer Justin Scalzo.

The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation is connected with the Giving Back Fund, a philanthropic resource for the sports and entertainment industry since 1997.

"My dad instilled in me a love and respect for animals," Roethlisberger said on his foundation's Web site. "This is a good way to combine that passion with a desire to support the police and fire departments, which deserve all the appropriate resources needed to protect our cities and neighborhoods, and allow these brave men and women to arrive home safely."

The money will be distributed through the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity.

Scalzo and Stahl met Roethlisberger during the quarterback's recent youth football camp at Mars High School.

"He is a real big supporter of police canines," Scalzo said of Roethlisberger. "He has a real good heart for him to do this."

"It was great to spend five minutes with him," Stahl added. "It was nice to see that he could spend time with kids and take a few minutes with us."

The meeting was captured by television cameras for a syndicated program through EA Sports slated to run in August.

"It's a program about Ben and some of the stuff he does," Scalzo said. "I did about a 25- to 30-minute interview and did a brief (demonstration) with the dog."

Stahl said the department gave Roethlisberger hats, T-shirts and baseball cards featuring the city's canine officer. He said the money will be a great help.

"If Wando would have to have surgery, we have the money. We can take care of the dog," the chief said.

The money also could be used to purchase a new dog once Wando retires.

However, that might not happen for a few years. Scalzo said 5 1/2-year-old Wando is in his prime and has aided in a number of apprehensions.

"He's doing phenomenally," Scalzo said. "We've been working limited to mostly two guys a shift. It helps (having Wando) when you have large fights or crowd control."

RoethlisBURGHer
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
I love that Big Ben does this. Not only does it help police departments, it saves the taxpayers that much of the burden and lets those tax dollars be used for something else in the budget.

Plus this is better activism than joining Peta and throwing fake blood on people as they walk out of the movie theater.

SteelCityKing
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
being an avid dog lover, i support Ben 100% in these type of generous deeds. not that i would ask anything more from him, but it'd be nice if he'd take that generosity and use it towards a Pitbull rescue for the city. i have a soft spot in my heart for Pitbulls and since i lost on a few years ago, i like to see generous things done for that cause.

but, kudos to Ben. it just goes to show some players are willing to help the cause instead be a neusance (sp). i would like to see Chad Ochocinco teach Spanish to little kids somewhere. haha!

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
hey ben... my dog needs a new collar and food .... cut me one of those 8 G checks !!! :chuckle:

HometownGal
07-14-2009, 05:35 PM
There are several existing threads with regard to the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation's work in providing police dogs to needy police departments throughout the country.

From here on out, let's keep all discussions relative to this subject in one thread.

Thanks!