PDA

View Full Version : One Of The Most Horrific Stories I've Ever Come Across

HometownGal
05-19-2009, 09:34 AM
This sick, barbaric SOB should DIE. No jail time, no trial - just straight to the chair. :mad: :mad:

I pray this little guy can somehow regain the sight in his right eye and that he is placed with a family who will love him, care for him and never hurt him again.

http://kdka.com/national/dad.eats.eyes.2.1013204.html

4-Year-Old To Cops: 'My Daddy Ate My Eyes'

A Bakersfield man with a history of drug abuse remained jailed Monday after allegedly biting out one of his 4-year-old son's eyes and mutilating the other.

Angel Vidal Mendoza, 34, has been charged with mayhem, torture, child cruelty and inflicting an injury to a child in the alleged attack on his son, Angelo Mendoza Jr. Bakersfield police said in a search warrant that the child told investigators "my daddy ate my eyes" and that Mendoza appeared to be under the influence of PCP following the April 28 incident.

After two neighbors found the injured child in the apartment he shared with his father, witnesses told authorities that a man in a wheelchair who turned out to be Mendoza was in the backyard of a nearby vacant home hacking his own legs with an ax, police said. Mendoza was arrested a week later.

Kern County Jail officials said they did not know whether he had hired an attorney, and online court records do not indicate whether he is represented. Mendoza is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, when a date for a preliminary hearing in the case is expected to be set.

Doctors at Mercy Hospital, where the boy is being treated, said it is unclear whether Angelo will regain vision in his right eye or be permanently blinded.

The case has raised questions about whether the child was being adequately monitored by Kern County's Child Protective Services department. Mendoza and the child's 23-year-old mother were charged with being under the influence of PCP in 2006 and pleaded no contest to child cruelty charges in that case, court records show.

Police said the mother, Desirae Marie Bermudez, was not present when the child's eyes were injured. There is a $15,000 warrant for her arrest for failing to complete a drug treatment program last year, according to court documents.

Mendoza has a criminal record going back to 1997 that includes convictions for selling alcohol to a minor, battery and check forgery.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Marianne

I saw this also....makes me physically sick to my stomach. This A-hole should be skinned alive and rolled in salt.

klick81
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Jesus...I have no words. Wow.

mcmac
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Jesus...I have no words. Wow.

You know this is the kind of world we live in now ....What a shame!

vasteeler
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
wow i wish i had not read that
it really just ruined my day
i dont think i will be able to get that image out of my head

revefsreleets
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Death is too humane. He should have HIS eye eaten and the other mutilated in the exact same fashion.

Hammer Of The GODS
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Guy needs to be tortured until dead, revived and tortured all over again.

BUT! Lets not forget the wonderful system that FAILED this child! Parents were arrested in 06 for PCP abuse and he child was given back to them with this end result.

We live in the BEST and WORST country in the world!

ShutDown24
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Bury this guy alive.

SteelersinCA
05-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds like he needs an attorney! PCP is a hell of a drug.

Godfather
05-19-2009, 06:25 PM
We live in the BEST and WORST country in the world!

You can drop the worst part :drink:

Cases like this aren't unique to the US. Remember that POS in Austria last year? There's a similar case in Italy, which is also home of a Supreme Court ruling that any woman wearing jeans is fair game for rapists. Germany refuses unemployment benefits to women who don't take jobs as prostitutes. And that's all just "enlightened" Western Europe.

HometownGal
05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't forget - - he has "rights". :jerkit: :mad:

NJarhead
05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I find comfort in knowing that he won't last long in prison. THEY at least, police their own. He can check his undeserved rights at the front gate. Bastard.

PAMillerGrrl83
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
OMG this is horrible, cruel and just evil..wth??? Poor baby I hope this child can overcome this!

Hammer Of The GODS
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
You can drop the worst part :drink:

Cases like this aren't unique to the US. Remember that POS in Austria last year? There's a similar case in Italy, which is also home of a Supreme Court ruling that any woman wearing jeans is fair game for rapists. Germany refuses unemployment benefits to women who don't take jobs as prostitutes. And that's all just "enlightened" Western Europe.

Sorry to say it, but we are well qualified as the worst IMO.

The US has LONG touted that we have a higher standard in a civalized society.

The US has pushed our way of life on many cultures so that they may be "civalized" as well.

In a country that claims to live by a higher standard we continue to FAIL to enforce that standard. A slap on the wrist for most crimes commited here. If you are religious (I am not) and believe the bible, it's an eye for an eye baby!

So in my estimation a country that prints in god we trust on thier money and then turns the other cheek when it comes to retribution and justice has failed to protect the people.

The fact that we have a "child protective service" that has allowed this and many other PREVENTABLE tragedies as well as every other government service that has failed to do its job to protect the people ( throat clear ..... 9-11) makes the US the worst as well as the best.

steelreserve
05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I saw this story on Monday but didn't feel like posting it anywhere on account of it being so terrible. That's been bothering me on and off for the last 3 days.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the cops or doctors who got to see it first hand, much less the kid who had to experience it.

stlrtruck
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't forget - - he has "rights". :jerkit: :mad:

He has the right to be locked in a 8x8 jail cell with one cot and one pisser with TIMMAH and his dog for life with no parole.

steelreserve
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, I used to have a contact at that newspaper from when I worked in the business. That guy isn't there anymore, but whoever took over for him said they're getting a lot of calls from all over the country asking if there's some place for donations and whatnot to help the poor kid ... they haven't found out about any, but if there isn't one, the newspaper is going to start their own. So I suppose if anyone is interested, I can update you about that.

beSteelmyheart
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I heard about this on talk radio yesterday & was horrified. I can't wrap my head around this type of behavior from a so called civilized species & it scares me to think about what we are turning into-or is that just a part of getting older? What the hell is happening to humanity in general?
It also amazes me that the judicial system thinks it's okay to release monsters that victimize children while they will incarcerate someone else for possession of small amounts of marijuana. What's the logic in that?

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, I used to have a contact at that newspaper from when I worked in the business. That guy isn't there anymore, but whoever took over for him said they're getting a lot of calls from all over the country asking if there's some place for donations and whatnot to help the poor kid ... they haven't found out about any, but if there isn't one, the newspaper is going to start their own. So I suppose if anyone is interested, I can update you about that.

I'm very interested in helping this child, steelreserve. If you can let me know if there is a fund set up, or will be in the future, I'd really appreciate it. :drink:

It also amazes me that the judicial system thinks it's okay to release monsters that victimize children while they will incarcerate someone else for possession of small amounts of marijuana. What's the logic in that?

I know. It's absolutely pathetic. :mad:

Hammer67
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I have been thinking we should have an "eye for an eye" type of justice for quite a while now. That would fix a lot of our issues.

If you are a child molestor, you get neutered...just like a dog. End of discussion and end of problem.

CanadianSteel
05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow having 2 young kids myself this is really really disturbing. Can't understamd how someone could be so cruel to an innocent child.
Breaks my heart... my kids defintaley make me much more emotional involving these types of cases involving children.

Hammer67
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow having 2 young kids myself this is really really disturbing. Can't understamd how someone could be so cruel to an innocent child.
Breaks my heart... my kids defintaley make me much more emotional involving these types of cases involving children.

I'm with you there...I have a 7month old daughter, my first, and my whole outlook on life and, especially these types of crimes, magnified significantly.

steelreserve
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, for a follow-up, it looks like people are trying to take over and do something positive for the kid. My guess is they'll have something officially set up in a day or two. Still no word on whether he's permanently blind or whatnot:

http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Blog/BreakingNewsTeam/45135

BreakingNewsTeam - > Breaking News -> Uncle trying to set up fund to help mutilated child
Uncle trying to set up fund to help mutilated child

Jesse Rosas, the uncle of 4-year-old Angelo Mendoza, said he is going to the bank today to set up a fund to help the child.

Rosas, 26, who is trying to gain custody of the boy, said he and the media have been besieged with people wanting to contribute for the welfare of the boy whose eyes were serve rely damaged by his father.

The father, Angel Vidal Mendoza, 34, is accused of mayhem, torture and child cruelty in the April 28 incident in southeast Bakersfield. Mendoza remains in the hospital in good condition after he hacked his own legs with an ax shortly after he reportedly attacked his boy.

Court reports say Mendoza bit out the left eye of his son and severely damaged the right eye. Police said the father showed symptoms of PCP use on that day.

The case has shocked Mendoza's family, Bakersfield and people around the world. The newspaper has received e-mails from concerned people as far away as England and Australia.

Rosas said he saw his nephew two to three times a month at his own home, his brother's home and family celebrations and holidays. "When you saw the love my brother had for his son, you would never expect anything like this to happen," Rosas said.

A reason that Rosas is seeking custody is that Angelo gets along very well with his wife and their own children — a boy,9, and a girl, 3.

Rosas, a homeowner who has worked the last 4 and 1/2 years in the oilfields, said Angelo loved to play on the backyard swing set with his own children or come in and watch a movie with the adults.

Throughout the years, Rosas has bought the child birthday and Christmas gifts, including giving a playpen to the boy shortly after he was born.

Unlike Mendoza who has a criminal record dating back 12 years for drug use, battery, check forgery and a misdemeanor child endangerment, Rosas has no criminal record.

He said he's a graduate of Centennial High School and sent to Taft College for a year and a half. He said is working with Child Protective Services on his application for custody and he fully expects a complete background check and home inspection.

Rosas is a member of Forever Changed, a Christian sport motorcycle group which is also planning fund raising events on Angelo's behalf, including a bike run on June 14. Details are still being worked out, he said.

Mendoza has been charged with many felonies, but he has been convicted of only one, a 1998 battery in the facial stabbing of another man. He was sentenced to three years in prison.

A probation report says Mendoza was a member of the Southern California gang for Hispanics. There is no court record in recent years indicating Mendoza was an active gang member.

Rosas said Mendoza's gang activity was something he did as a youth and outgrew.

Several parents whose children attended an Oildale Head Start school with Angelo have said they saw good interaction between Mendoza and his son. One parent said Mendoza won a participation award at the school

A neighbor of Mendoza's, Tonya Hammond, said that in recent months she saw Mendoza care for Angelo, although in the last week before the incident, Mendoza was short tempered and was afraid people would accuse him of taking drugs.

Still, Hammond — who actually discovered the severely injured Angelo on April 28 — said she did not see anything that she felt needed to be reported to CPS.

Rosas said he has not seen any drug use by Mendoza in recent years.

The uncle said he doesn't have first hand information about how Angelo is doing because CPS is not disclosing that to the family. Hospital officials have confirmed Angelo is no longer at Kern Medical Center, but although CPS says the boy is in protective custody, CPS has not disclosed where.

HometownGal
05-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I am so glad to see that this little boy's uncle is trying to do whatever he can to help him. :hatsoff: I pray that if he is able to obtain custody of this child, he and his family will give him all the love and support they can, as well as getting him into professional counseling ASAP. This boy has a long road to travel both physically and emotionally.

Hines0wnz
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Ugh, just read this story the other day. :\

Galax Steeler
05-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Marianne

I saw this also....makes me physically sick to my stomach. This A-hole should be skinned alive and rolled in salt.

:applaudit: Agreed that would be a good one for him :applaudit:

stlrtruck
05-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm with you there...I have a 7month old daughter, my first, and my whole outlook on life and, especially these types of crimes, magnified significantly.

I'm with you Hammer. My daughter is about to be 4 years old and ever since she's been born I can't watch any TV shows that deal with children, more specifically little girls, being kidnapped, rapped, or killed!

I get furious and emotional and then can't sleep!

stlrtruck
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
This A-hole should be skinned alive and rolled in salt.

And then we can wash the salt off with rubbing alcohol and start the process over again.

Godfather
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Why not just put him in a T-shirt that says "USA" in big letters and drop him off in Sadr City? :applaudit:

stlrtruck
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's another story that is just as bad:

http://www.rr.com/news/news/article/1110/7814050/Police_Mom_of_buried_NM_boy_says_she_killed_him

A single mother accused of suffocating her 3-year-old son and burying him at a playground was recently homeless and sleeping in the park, having been kicked out of her mother's house and a friend's apartment in the days before the boy's death, investigators said.

Tiffany Toribio, 23, had been booted from their homes for ignoring her young son, Tyruss "Ty" Toribio, and withholding affection, Albuquerque police said.

"What makes this story especially sad was when asked why she took Ty's life, Tiffany said that she did not want him to grow up with no one caring about him the same way that she had grown up with no one caring about her," said police Chief Ray Schultz, his eyes watery and his voice thick with emotion.

What had baffled police after the discovery of the body last Friday was that the chubby-cheeked boy appeared to have been well-fed, showed no signs of physical abuse and was wearing a matching outfit that seemed to suggest he had been well-cared for.

But when no one came forward to report a missing child, police came to suspect that whoever buried Ty was a parent or someone taking care of him.

Police went door-to-door in the neighborhood around the park. They contacted schools, day care centers and homeless shelters. They asked families at other playgrounds about the boy. They reviewed hours of video surveillance tapes from courthouses, hospitals and stores. They followed up on more than 100 tips.

The break in the case came Thursday, just hours after police released a photograph-like picture of the boy. Family members and others called a tip line to say the picture of "Baby Angel" _ as neighbors living near the park nicknamed him _ looked like Ty.

Then, police received a tip that Toribio was on her way to the police station to turn herself in. Officers stopped her as she was walking on the street.

The police chief said Toribio told detectives that she suffocated her son in Alvarado Park before dawn on May 13 by putting her hand over his mouth and nose. She said she had second thoughts and performed CPR on the boy, resuscitating him, but reconsidered and smothered him again. Investigators said she then buried him under the climbing gym's hanging bridge, where the body was found two days later.

Schultz called it a "somber day" in Albuquerque.

"He was a very special child and that's what makes this case so hard for everybody within the Albuquerque Police Department that's worked on it for the last six days," he said.

Schultz said Toribio attempted suicide in jail and was under close observation. A single mother, Toribio had no criminal record or history of drug or alcohol abuse, the police chief said.

Julie Gonzalez, who lives near the park, described Ty as "such a good little boy, so quiet, mild." But Gonzalez said the boy's mother was "always partying" and that police would have to be called when fights broke out among the partygoers.

Toribio did not have an attorney Thursday morning, and attempts to locate family members were unsuccessful.

Toribio is a member of the Zia Pueblo Indian tribe. Tribal Gov. Ivan Pino said the tribe has asked that Ty's body be returned to the pueblo for burial. People living near the park raised about $4,000 for a funeral for the boy.

"Let the Pueblo of Zia go through its healing process right now," Pino said. "Give us the respect to go through our mourning at this point."

Neighbors gathered at a makeshift memorial at the playground consisting of candles, flowers, stuffed animals and toy trucks. Children played on the equipment; parents and grandparents wept.

"We named him `Baby Angel' and it's important now that we know his real name," said Sarah Sandoval. "Now, his mother will find out this baby has a lot of people who love him and will do anything for a child."

Stephanie Rael, a mother, said she wished she had been at the park when Ty died.

"I could have helped her. I could have called someone. We could have saved him," she said. "We're here in a public place. She could have left him here alive and any one of us could have saw him and taken him or gotten her help."

steelreserve
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM

More like tested for suitability as a mandatory eye donor.

steelreserve
05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Looks like there was another update this morning, which actually makes me pretty mad. Sounds like there were multiple opportunities to prevent this, including one right before it happened. I originally wasn't too upset that no one saw this coming, because how could you be expected to account for that kind of behavior? But now it looks like several people dropped the ball.

Oh yeah, plus if I'm reading it right, the poor kid is now permanently blind. So really, no positive news at all from this. Or even any news less than 100% completely miserable.

article (http://www.bakersfield.com/news_alerts/x140305256/Blinded-boy-case-Police-found-drug-residue-in-babys-crib-in-2006)

Blinded boy case: Police found drug residue in baby's crib in 2006
BY STEVE E. SWENSON, Californian staff writer
sswenson@bakersfield.com | Thursday, May 21 2009 05:37 PM

Last Updated Thursday, May 21 2009 05:46 PM

Most parents would lovingly place a favorite stuffed animal in their baby's crib.

But Angelo Mendoza may have stashed his drug supply where his infant son slept, according to police reports examined Thursday.

The incident came in 2006 when police were at the child's home and found a plastic pill bottled wrapped up with then baby Angelo Mendoza Jr. Inside the bottle was possible drug residue.

Several weeks ago, Angelo's father, Angel Mendoza, allegedly attacked the boy and bit out one of his eyes and damaged the other. Angelo is now blind.

The revelation raises the question: Why did Mendoza ever get back custody of his son?

Both Mendoza and the mother, Desirae Bermudez, were arrested on charges of being under the influence of PCP and child endangerment in the 2006 incident.

As the parents were driven to jail, baby Angelo was taken to the Jamison Center in the custody of Child Protective Services.

How long he stayed in protective custody is unknown, but Mendoza's brother said Thursday he was unaware that the child was ever taken away.

The brother, Jesse Rosas, 26, is now trying to obtain custody of Angelo.

Could Mendoza have quickly regained custody of a baby under those circumstances?

CPS program director Brian Parnell said can't talk about a specific case, unless there's a death or near death.

But Parnell said when a child goes to Jamison Center, what happens next can vary. In some cases the child will be placed with a relative. In other cases the parent can end up having to go to court and there could be restrictions before the child can be returned.

At a minimum, CPS would do an assessment before returning an endangered child to a parent, Parnell said. That could include drug testing, anger management or parenting classes before a child is returned, he said.

In Mendoza's 2006 criminal case, he got no jail time, three years probation and an order to attend a year-long parenting class, which he successfully completed. He pleaded no contest to misdemeanor child endangerment.

Now the 34-year-old father is accused of mayhem, torture and child cruelty. He's scheduled to be in court today for a status hearing.

In recent years, several parents have praised Mendoza's relationship with his son -- one noting that Mendoza won a parent participation award an an Oildale Head Start School.

But new revelations describe Mendoza as harsh, "wild eyed" and drugged in the week before the attack.

Bermudez told KBAK that she had gone to Mendoza's home hours before the attack to deliver a pizza. Her son was begging to go home with her, she said.

She said heard the boy cry, "Mommy, mommy, I want to go with you. I'm scared."

Bermudez, herself wanted on a $15,000 warrant for failing to complete a drug treatment class in the 2006 case, said she decided to leave then. (emphasis mine - what the hell were you thinking? -sr)

Another man, Harvey Clowers, who has played wheelchair basketball with Mendoza, told KBAK that recently Mendoza "had a wild look in his eyes" and appeared to be under the influence of something.

Mendoza, who has been wheelchair bound for four years after he was paralyzed in a stabbing, showed symptoms of PCP use the day he attacked his son, police reported.

Right after the attack, Mendoza hacked his own legs with an ax.

While there's been virtually no sympathy for his injuries, there's been global sympathy for his little boy.

People want to know how to help the boy.

The uncle, Jesse Rosas, went to the bank Thursday to set up a fund to help the child. He did not return calls later in the day for specifics.

Rosas said he is seeking custody because Angelo gets along well with his wife and their own children -- a boy, 9, and a girl, 3.

Rosas, a homeowner who has worked the last 4 and 1/2 years in the oilfields, said Angelo loved to play on the backyard swing set with his own children or come in and watch a movie with the adults.

Unlike Mendoza. Rosas has no criminal record.

He said he's a graduate of Centennial High School and sent to Taft College for a year and a half. He said is working with Child Protective Services on his application for custody and he fully expects a complete background check and home inspection.

Rosas is a member of Forever Changed, a Christian sport motorcycle group which is also planning fund raising events on Angelo's behalf, including a bike run on June 14. Details are still being worked out, he said.

The uncle said he doesn't have first hand information about how Angelo is doing because CPS is not disclosing that to the family. Hospital officials have confirmed Angelo is no longer at Kern Medical Center, but although CPS says the boy is in protective custody, CPS has not disclosed where.

SteelersinCA
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
The legal standard to take a child away from their parent in CA is clear and convincing evidence. Keep in mind while this also protects asshats like Mendoz it also protects parents that just believe in spanking their kids. Sucks, but that's the way it works. Oddly enough even the Mexican gangs in CA prisons don't tolerate abuse of women or kids, I'd say he's going to be in for a very crude awakening in prison, although he may be saved by being in a wheelchair.

steelreserve
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM
The legal standard to take a child away from their parent in CA is clear and convincing evidence. Keep in mind while this also protects asshats like Mendoz it also protects parents that just believe in spanking their kids. Sucks, but that's the way it works. Oddly enough even the Mexican gangs in CA prisons don't tolerate abuse of women or kids, I'd say he's going to be in for a very crude awakening in prison, although he may be saved by being in a wheelchair.

Yeah, I agree it's hard for the authorities to really know when someone's kids are in actual danger. If they tried to act preemptively in every case, they'd obviously end up causing a lot of collateral damage by taking away thousands of kids whose parents really were OK. I was more upset about the cracked-out mother ignoring her kid screaming for help and just going about her day. I mean, it is a pretty serious break from character for the typical 4-year old to be begging for help because he's scared of the way his dad is acting.

If I showed up and my daughter was scared for her life, or even if something just didn't seem right, she'd be out of there faster than you could say "rocks and blocks." Or else the police would've been called, which obviously this woman was afraid to do because of her junkie past. But is that any excuse? If most of us were faced with a choice where our kid was in danger but to save him/her, we might face probation -- or even something like 90 days in jail on a fricking drug possession charge -- that's really no choice at all.

Who knows if that guy will even get what's coming to him in prison. In California, they go to especially great lengths to keep any criminals with a famous story apart from the general population. (note: that's one of the reasons why it costs twice the national average to house a prisoner in this state). Otherwise, I agree, the other inmates would tear him apart. But there's a chance he'll live out the rest of his days untouched in isolation because we have to be FAIR to him. This stupid state.

SteelersinCA
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I bet someone beats him with his own wheelchair.

HometownGal
05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I bet someone beats him with his own wheelchair.

Or gouges his eyes out with a shank. Evil rotten bastard. :mad:

steelreserve
05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
...and as if things couldn't get any more ironically tragic, it looks like the cops actually were there about an hour before this happened, but to no avail.

link (http://www.bakersfield.com/news_alerts/x140305323/Friend-says-man-accused-of-biting-out-sons-eyes-was-off-medications-hearing-voices)

Police went to Angelo Mendoza’s apartment shortly before he attacked, blinded his son
BY STEVE E. SWENSON, Californian staff writer
sswenson@bakersfield.com | Friday, May 22 2009 10:22 AM

Last Updated Friday, May 22 2009 03:30 PM

Bakersfield police went to Angelo Vidal Mendoza’s apartment less than an hour and a half before he reportedly bit out his sons eyes, new reports released Friday say.

Mendoza had actually called the police himself for a peace disturbance he had with the boy’s mother on April 28.

What happened is not clear. Police have not released any reports describing what they found when they got there, but Bermudez had already left and both she and neighbors said the boy, Angelo Mendoza Jr., was unharmed at that point.

Bermudez, 23, would later tell police that her son wanted to go with her because he was “scared” of his dad.

She, however, left without her son, telling police that Mendoza had never harmed her or the boy before.

A gag order issued this week in the case prevents police, attorneys or government workers from commenting on the case.

Mendoza, 34, is charged with mayhem, torture and child cruelty in the attack that left his son blind.

Mendoza, who is confined to a wheelchair from four years ago when he was stabbed in the back, faces a life sentence but would still be eligible for parole.

New information was revealed in 46 pages of police investigation reports examined on Friday. It includes that Mendoza tried to make it appear gang members attacked him.

He repeatedly told responding officers, “It was the Mexican Mafia.” Police said it appeared Mendoza had tried to make it look like he had been chained to a tree.

The next day, Mendoza told police he was out of his mind. He asked police to tell his son, “I love him, and that his dad was off his medication.”

When police asked him why he hurt his son, Mendoza asked to speak to his attorney, ending the interview.

Mendoza was scheduled Friday to be in court for a hearing, but it was delayed to Tuesday because he remains hospitalized at Kern Medical Center. Nurses said he’s in good condition.

He is recovering from self inflicted wounds to his leg with an ax and a broken ceramic plate, reports say.

That happened minutes after he attacked his son.

It appeared that the boy tried to escape from the attack by pulling out a large dresser and cowering behind it.

The boy was naked and unconscious when neighbors first found him. His pants and urine-soaked underwear appeared to have been pulled off of him, police said.

The boy regained consciousness and was violently shaking when police first arrived. He was taken to a Fresno hospital where he told a volunteer, “My daddy ate my eyes.”

Police reported that Mendoza showed symptoms of PCP use when he was arrested. But although prescription medication was found, no PCP was removed from his apartment, the reports say.

Mendoza told police he hasn’t used PCP in years. In 2006 when he was accused of using PCP, he ended up pleading to misdemeanor child endangerment. A bottle with apparent PCP residue was found in the then 1-year-old boy’s crib.

Mendoza told police that in recent weeks, he felt anxious and was seeing things that weren’t there.

A close friend of Mendoza’s, Artie Gray, told news reporters that Mendoza swore off using illegal drugs, including the marijuana for which he had a prescription.

That Mendoza attacked his son was inexplicable to Gray. “To me it seems a monster jumped inside of him,” Gray said.

Gray said he’s known Mendoza for two years and they had been planning a cross country trip in their wheelchairs to draw attention to victims of crimes.

Gray was shot five times in 1999 as he was washing his car. Those injuries confined him to a wheelchair.

Mendoza’s family talked to Gray but not news reporters at Friday’s hearing. Gray said Mendoza’s family have been receiving death threats and other “alarming phone calls that have caused the family to go into seclusion.”

Initial reports indicated the father’s name was Angel and the boy was Angelo, but family members say they are both named Angelo.