PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau dreams up a new defensive package

Galax Steeler
05-20-2009, 05:30 AM
To say that defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau eats, sleeps and breaths football is not an understatement.

The mastermind behind the Steelers defense that was once again ranked number one in the NFL last season laid out a new defensive package for the team at OTAs on Tuesday and it came to him the night before.

He gave us a new defense today that he thought about last night when he was in bed, said an amazed James Farrior. He drew something up for us today. We expect stuff like that from Coach LeBeau.

This offseason is no different. We probably have about 10 new calls right now. They are going to keep coming. Its the same every year, new calls in and tweaking stuff to make us better. He has a great mind.

While the players do come to expect this kind of thing from LeBeau, they know how lucky they are to have him working his magic on the defensive scheme.

He is constantly thinking of ways we can do better, said defensive end Brett Keisel. We put in a whole new package today that the wizard came up with last night. He was making some potion and somehow these Xs and Os came up and it worked really well today so I am sure its something we will use.

Keisel, who credits LeBeau and the other Steelers coaches with the success he has had in his career, knows that the new ideas will keep coming week after week because LeBeau is not someone who will ever let the team rest on their laurels.

He is never satisfied with where we are, said Keisel. The last few years, I think three out of the last five, we finished number one here and its never enough for him.

He sometimes shows us this ring he has and its the Super Bowl XL ring and its never enough. He wants to have 10. Once he has 10 he will have to start putting them on his toes.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105491/

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Coach Lebeau is a defensive mastermind and I'm sure the wheels never stop turning. How blessed our D is to have him as their admiral and how lucky we are as Steelers fans to be able to watch our guys incorporate these new dynamic schemes into their play. Hurry up season and get here! :tt02::hatsoff:

revefsreleets
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Cool! This is what I like to hear. We're always one step ahead of 30 of the 31 other teams (excepting the one that steals plays and playbooks).

fansince'76
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
“He is never satisfied with where we are,” said Keisel. “The last few years, I think three out of the last five, we finished number one here and it’s never enough for him."

He's probably pretty miffed that we "only" finished 2nd in run D to the Vikes. :thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Its so awesome to have such a great coach in Lebeau, and even better to see just how much his players admire and play for him...

STEELAMANIA
05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
So much for the opposing team studying game film......The Steelers defense is the hardest to gameplan against with so many weapons in the right places. They can triple team Harrison and leave Woodley unblocked or they can max protect and not have enough time to get anyone open!

Shoes
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I think its HOF time for Coach Lebeau! :tt:

devilsdancefloor
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I think its HOF time for Coach Lebeau! :tt:

that is LONG overdue for coach dad! He is so awesome!

Fire Haley
05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I prefer the 4-4-4 myself.

Nighthawk
05-21-2009, 12:18 AM
So much for the opposing team studying game film......The Steelers defense is the hardest to gameplan against with so many weapons in the right places. They can triple team Harrison and leave Woodley unblocked or they can max protect and not have enough time to get anyone open!

I don't know if they will try that, leave Woodley open and someone is likely to die

Cheppy
05-21-2009, 12:46 AM
The man should have a state named after him. Lebeauia has a nice ring to it.

Crushzilla
05-21-2009, 01:21 AM

I have a feeling the traffic patterns would be very complex and difficult to anticipate.

SteelersMongol
05-21-2009, 02:03 AM

I'm thinking OHIO or MARYLAND. :laughing:

Galax Steeler
05-21-2009, 04:58 AM
I can't wait to see what he came up with when the season starts.:popcorn:

Cheppy
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a feeling the traffic patterns would be very complex and difficult to anticipate.

:laughing:Nice..

I'm thinking OHIO or MARYLAND. :laughing:

Lebeauio it is.

Hines0wnz
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm thankful and happy he is a Steelers coach! :tt02:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Thank you Coach :hug: :hug:

Psyychoward86
05-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Folks, he aint done tormenting offenses yet :tt:

JHSilverback
05-22-2009, 12:20 AM
I like it how they call him the wizard...I call him the mad scientist because the man creates blitz packages that induce nightmares for offensive coordinators and creates chaos to the players that have to play against our defense...

kind of evil if you think about it....mauahhahahahah :flap:

Kindjunior
05-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Lets clone him now so the replacement is ready for the 2030 season.

AllD
05-23-2009, 08:15 PM

How about "Diabolical Dick LeBeau" instead and have Michael Buffer announce it during introductions....

"DiaBOLical DICK LeBeauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

BehindSteelCurtain
05-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Maybe it has something to do with Foote leaving and Timmons starting. Maybe trying to use his athleticism more since he is more athletic than Foote.

SteelCityMan786
05-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Coach Lebeau is a defensive mastermind and I'm sure the wheels never stop turning. How blessed our D is to have him as their admiral and how lucky we are as Steelers fans to be able to watch our guys incorporate these new dynamic schemes into their play. Hurry up season and get here! :tt02::hatsoff:

He's a smarter man then people give him credit for. :thumbsup:

Our D is one blessed D indeed.

Galax Steeler
05-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Maybe it has something to do with Foote leaving and Timmons starting. Maybe trying to use his athleticism more since he is more athletic than Foote.

That is a possibility you never know what he is a thinking.

stillers4me
05-24-2009, 08:59 AM
The thought or our D getting even better is frightening.

bwahahahahahaha!

triphahn
05-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Hall of Fame is automatic. Not just a football genius the players love and respect him and play harder because of it.

NEPAsteeler
05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Hall of Fame is automatic. Not just a football genius the players love and respect him and play harder because of it.

He was a darned good player himself, so add that to the list of reasons!