PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Polamalu only regular missing OTAs

mesaSteeler
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Steelers notebook: Polamalu only regular missing OTAs
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:31 PM EDT
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/05/20/sports/steelers/doc4a13796529fb3634172563.txt

PITTSBURGH — The only Steelers’ starter not attending organized team activities is Troy Polamalu. But that’s common practice for the all-star strong safety.

As he’s done in the past, Polamalu is in California working out with his own personal trainer. Polamalu prefers to work out during the off-season at Marv Marinovich’s Sports Lab in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.

Coach Mike Tomlin has no problem with that.

After all, Polamalu had an All-Pro season for the Steelers last year.

So basically, all Steelers were present and accounted for Tuesday as voluntary OTAs resumed.

Present but not practicing were wide receivers Hines Ward and Martin Nance, free safety Ryan Clark and punter Daniel Sepulveda.

Ward and Clark are coming off off-season shoulder surgeries.

Sepulveda missed the 2008 season with a knee injury.

Nance is nursing an undisclosed leg injury.

Also missing Tuesday was reserve wide receiver Dallas Baker. A Steelers’ spokesman didn’t know why Baker was absent.

Baker did attend two OTAs in April and the mandatory three-day minicamp in May.

X’s and O’s

* With both starting safeties missing OTAs, Ryan Mundy and Tyrone Carter are running with the first-team defense.

Mundy, a sixth-round pick in the 2008 NFL draft, sat out much of last season. He suffered a high ankle sprain during a preseason game and then was cut. In November, he was signed to the Steelers’ practice squad.

The Steelers’ coaches like Mundy’s potential. He should will make the Steelers’ roster this year.

* With Ward sitting out, Limas Sweed and Super Bowl XLIII Most Valuable Player Santonio Holmes are the starting wide receivers at OTAs. Sweed was a second-round draft pick last year.

Shaun McDonald, a seventh-year pro signed recently as a free agent, is running the slot in three-WR sets.

* James Farrior has jumped on the Pittsburgh Penguins’ band wagon.

He was in the Mellon Arena stands Monday as the Pens went 1-0 up on the Carolina Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference finals.

“I’m a big Penguins fan,” Farrior said. “I’ll support any sports team in this town. We know what it’s like to get great fan support. So I gotta be a hockey fan. It was great to be there.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also attended Monday night’s game.

Galax Steeler
05-21-2009, 04:29 AM
I don't care if he is not at otas as long as he can perfom like he did last year.