PDA

View Full Version : A Hypothetical

LukesDad88
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
2:30 left in the 4th quarter of next year's AFC Championship game against the Pats. Steelers are down by 2, and have received the ball at their 10. While running out to take the field, Ben trips over one of Hampton's KFC empty containers and sprains his ankle. He won't be able to finish the game. Who do you want going out there to take over the offense, and why?

revefsreleets
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Now?

Batch. Experience counts.

LukesDad88
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Now?

Batch. Experience counts.

Yes, but it seems like as if Batch doesn't do well at all, when he's called into the game cold. I think I'd prefer Dixon.

OTOH, if we won, but Ben wasn't going to be ready for the Superbowl, I'd want Batch to be named the starter, and take the majority of reps.

Godfather
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Doesn't matter because we'll have mixed up our signals during the TV timeout. Then the Pats* will think we're calling a deep pass when it's really a dump over the middle to Willie or Memoand we'll be to midfield in one play. That leaves us ample time to get into Reed's FG range.

steelreserve
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I put Dixon, not because I'm all that confident in the guy, but because it seems like Batch is probably old and shaky now.

rbryan
05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
The punter. At least the patsies won't score on a pick 6.......so the Stillers at least cover.

You know New England will be a t least a 7 point favorite.

Seriously though....I don't really care for hypothetical questions that involve the franchise going down, bad karma to put it out there IMHO.

FWIW I don't have a plan in mind if an asteroid hits the field that day either, but if it does I trust Tomlin to make the correct assessment of the situation and act accordingly without a poll of the fans.

stlrtruck
05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Batch (for now)

AllD
05-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Dixon to run a bootleg about 60 yards.

bigjamesharrison2
05-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Batch for experience...

BlastFurnace
05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Bellichek's defense would eat Dixon alive.

They always beat a run first, throw second QB.

Charlie is not the greatest option either, but he would atleast give us a chance and wouldn't panic.

LVSteelersfan
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Forget the hypothetical. I personally think Batch is way past his prime. If Ben can't play, it is time to throw his successor, Dixon into the fire and see what he can do. I am not overly impressed with our backup QB situation to be honest. They should have offered Lefty a decent contract to try to keep him. We are playing with fire the way it is. An unproven Dixon or an aging Batch is not anything we want to see.

pancake
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Batch is a proven product.

pancake
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Forget the hypothetical. I personally think Batch is way past his prime. If Ben can't play, it is time to throw his successor, Dixon into the fire and see what he can do. I am not overly impressed with our backup QB situation to be honest. They should have offered Lefty a decent contract to try to keep him. We are playing with fire the way it is. An unproven Dixon or an aging Batch is not anything we want to see.

I can't believe you would throw Dixon in a playoff game with little experience, over Batch. Even if Batch is over the hill, at this point he would give us a better shot at winning.

Steelerroy
05-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Dixon, he has mobility and is a much better passer then people think.I love Batch but the last few times I've seen him I wasn't very impressed.

St33lersguy
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
in an AFCCG against the cheaters Dixon would s*** his pants and panic. I go Batch in that situation

mulldog24
05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I say Batch for expierence.

Psyychoward86
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Dixon, he has mobility and is a much better passer then people think.I love Batch but the last few times I've seen him I wasn't very impressed.

The last time Dixon was impressive was in college. He isnt the guy who has been there, and done that. If needed, Batch hands down. That's not even a question. We havent really even seen what Dixon can do. He's still got a lot to learn.

stillers4me
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
James Harrison. He's got to be a better QB than a he is a long snapper. :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
in an AFCCG against the cheaters Dixon would s*** his pants and panic. I go Batch in that situation

Exactly

Vincent
05-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd line up Silverback as an H back and fumble in his general direction. We all know he'd score.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm confused. Why wouldn't Ben be able to finish the game with a sprained ankle?

HometownGal
05-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Neither - UNLESS the Steelers running game was successful in that game and all Batch has to do is hand off the ball to get into FG range. I don't trust him to throw the ball successfully with a game on the line.

Dixon is just too green yet, imho.

Now if we're talking Leftwich, I would feel 100% confident that he could take the team down the field and win the game. I was sooooo sorry to see him go.

stillers4me
05-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm confused. Why wouldn't Ben be able to finish the game with a sprained ankle?

You're right.

Ben would absolutely finish the game. :tt03:

billybob
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Well now , lets look at this , put your reality glasses on . Batch is what , 3-0 ,as a starter for us ? When he was called off the bench in a pinch , we were already losing .
Batch has been sitting on the fiberglass bench for several seasons , thats right , it ain't made of pine no more .
He knows our system very well . If it were not for his injury last pre-season , do you think for a moment , that Leftwich would have been a Steeler ?
I like Batch , he did nothing but what we ask him to do , and he never complained one single time that i know of .
If he passed the team physical , and he can play this pre-season , i think you would have a hard time prying him from the back-up spot .
All you young , but strong , Steeler fans , need to realize that there is a lot going on behind the scenes . Things that us fans , most , do not even think about . Batch has never lost a game for us since coming from Detroit . They actually went down hill without his leadership qualities .
It never ceases to amaze me how some think because you are in your late thirties , or early fourties , you are done , washed up , can't do what we expect of you .
If Batch clears his physical , and earns a spot on this team , well , he belongs there . Youth learns from experience , only youth would think otherwise .
Thats not a bad thing either . Batch actually checks down a lot quicker than "our "main man , because he is less mobile .
They have totally different qualities for a defense to pay attention to . He is more apt to throw the ball away , than hold onto it and take a sack .Ask me how i know ?

STEELAMANIA
05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I pick Dixon because he will run to throw just like Ben instead of run to run like Kordell. Dixon is excellent throwing on the run just like Ben, but if he sees daylight he will take it too.

billybob
05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I pick Dixon because he will run to throw just like Ben instead of run to run like Kordell. Dixon is excellent throwing on the run just like Ben, but if he sees daylight he will take it too.

That might work on an undisciplined defense , how many of those are left now ?

STEELAMANIA
05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
That might work on an undisciplined defense , how many of those are left now ?

I love it because even the most disciplined defenses have holes when the Steelers qbs start running to throw because the 3rd wideout will alter their route and fly downfield wide open.......Dixon has a cannon and is amazingly accurate on the run. Batch is no slouch either but he can't make things happen if a play breaks down.

STEELAMANIA
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Billybob
I want Shipley to start....I'm making a bold statement that he will be the biggest surprise of camp.

billybob
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I love it because even the most disciplined defenses have holes when the Steelers qbs start running to throw because the 3rd wideout will alter their route and fly downfield wide open.......Dixon has a cannon and is amazingly accurate on the run. Batch is no slouch either but he can't make things happen if a play breaks down.

I haven't seen much from Dixon , but i must stand by my assessing both . How Kordell got in this thread, i don't know . However , Dixon could become another Kordell , that is if we are not careful . I been around for a while now . and i don't want to see more of that playing out . Man , the NFL is such a whole new playing field . What you may have done in college , may not cut it in the NFL . I can mention many names if you like .
Let it go dude , and let training camp sort it out . Dixon will have a fair shot .

billybob
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey Billybob
I want Shipley to start....I'm making a bold statement that he will be the biggest surprise of camp.

Well i like Shipley too , not because he was from State Penn , i'm sorry , Penn State , but because of his ability to rise above the so called physical shortcomings , he has had to face all his young football life . The man will have his shot too .
I don't want to hijack this thread with o-line , but on draft day i knew we would get him , and i have proof , if you read my draft day posts . Somebody busted my sides open from laughing so hard , by calling him T_rex . I could not stop laughing for days . I adopted the T_rex as my signature . Never had one before that either .
He made it this far with ...... short arms ....... and just now realized it . What a joke ! He plays above his abilities , and is smart . Could become the latest trend in the NFL .

billybob
05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Billybob

Are you A.Q ?