PDA

View Full Version : NFL from the sidelines - OTA notes

mesaSteeler
05-21-2009, 12:21 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/05/ota-notes.html

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
OTA notes
The Steelers are back at it with their OTAs - offseason training activites - which are optional to attend. That's not really the case - if you plan on making the team - but for the most part, everybody is in town, with Troy Polamalu being a notable exception.

Polamalu's training in California again this offseason, which, with Ryan Clark also out following his shoulder surgery, is giving Ryan Mundy a chance to work with the first team at free safety.

Mundy showed nice ball skills Wednesday, stepping up underneath a receiver on a crossing pattern and picking off a Ben Roethlisberger pass.

Mundy has excellent size and smarts. Getting plenty of reps - especially after missing a healthy portion of training camp last season due to injury is going to pay dividends.

I spoke with William Gay after practice.

The cornerback looked bigger than he was last season and he admitted he's up to 198 pounds. He came in at 183 pounds as a rookie and he attributed the weight gain to being on a good training program and eating healthy for the first time in his life.

Gay said as long as he doesn't lose a step, he plans on carrying the extra weight - which is all located in his shoulders - during the season.

Speaking of Polamalu, there's a good chance he won't attend the meet and greet with the president Thursday at the White House. But there isn't a big deal being made of that.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 2:18 PM

Galax Steeler
05-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Good to hear that Mundy is stepping up maybe he will see more playing time this year if Clark leaves next year maybe we will have someone to fill his shoes.

Sounds like Gay is wanting to do good this year. As long as his weight don't slow him down maybe he will crack the starting lineup.

CanadianSteel
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice to hear that Gay has gained a few pounds as I thinbk ythat will help him, as long as his speed remains. 183 is way light to play full time corner for the Steelers IMO..

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I think we will see Mundy make the 53 man roster and possibly be a replacement for Clark in 2010.

Mundy was having a great preseason last year until he got injured on a cheap shot in the Eagles preseason game. He will be the backup FS.

The Definiti0n
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
The only person I'm really interested in this off season is Mendenhall. I want a camera and a beat reporter follwing him around tracking his every movement.

Galax Steeler
05-22-2009, 04:26 AM
The only person I'm really interested in this off season is Mendenhall. I want a camera and a beat reporter follwing him around tracking his every movement.

Yea I can't wait to see him also but they are a few others I will be watching also Summers and Wallace just to name a couple.

scsteeler
05-22-2009, 09:34 AM

While i am interested in other players like Sweed I do want to see how Mendenhall progresses this year. We really will not know what he is capable of until the regular season. I just hope he can stay healthy.