PDA

View Full Version : Best In History?

Dragonrider
05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I ran across an article over on Bleacher Report. It asks whether this Steelers linebacker corps has a chance to be the best in history. And not just in the history of the Steelers but the best of all times. Here is the article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/181149-2009-steelers-linebacker-corps-could-be-best-in-history

The writer makes some valid points. But it is a subjective thing. And as he states it is hard to compare different eras. I don't know if they will earn the title best ever, but it will be fun to watch them again this year.

The Definiti0n
05-22-2009, 09:32 AM
It will definitely depend on the development of Timmons and Bruce Davis and Arnold Harrison and how much longer Farrior can play at a high level.

P.S. I am now only refering to Lawrence Timmons as Timmons. Just like Kobe, Lebron, and Jordan. lol

BlastFurnace
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Too early to tell.

I still take Ham, Lambert, and Russell over them.

Dino 6 Rings
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Too early to tell.

I still take Ham, Lambert, and Russell over them.

Those three were great but also had Hall of Fame guys in the Front Four taking a lot of the work load off them. Plus, Hall of Famers in the Secondary helped them too.

Steel Head
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Those three were great but also had Hall of Fame guys in the Front Four taking a lot of the work load off them. Plus, Hall of Famers in the Secondary helped them too.

We also currently have great players on the defensive line and in the secondary

LambertLunatic
05-22-2009, 06:46 PM

That's ONE HOFer in front of them, and ONE HOFer in the secondary. The Steel Curtain of the 70's only (only???) had 4 HOFers, and 2 were linebackers. The current secondary has 1 future HOFer in Troy, so comparing the 2 LB corps should be a balanced comparison.

Since the 70's team ran the 4-3, where less emphasis was placed on the LBers, I believe that Lambert, Ham, and Russel outperformed our current LBers. This isn't insulting the current LBers, but I don't think they compare with the 70's LBers.

triphahn
05-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Lets not forget Greene and Loyd.

PeckerWood
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't care if they ever get the best ever title i just want to see them play great football like all the great LBs before them

this 2009 defense can have another good year if all players play with in lebeau's defensive scheme.

loolin forward watching harrison and woodley getting more sacks and maybe timmons gets a couple of INTs.

Galax Steeler
05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't think they are there yet if they can play at a high level for another couple years then maybe they will be.

Vincent
05-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't think they are there yet if they can play at a high level for another couple years then maybe they will be.

If they play the way they did last year for a couple more years, I don't think there would be much of an argument against them.:helmet::tt:

AllD
05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
The only way the current corp exceeds the 1970s group is if they win 5 Super Bowls including the most recent 2.

Also, Lambert, Ham, and Russel helped to turn around a team that never won whereas the current team had a legecy to build from.