PDA

View Full Version : New number, fresh outlook for Davis

mesaSteeler
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
New number, fresh outlook for Davis
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/
Posted May 20, 2009 2 :46 PM

Outside linebacker Bruce Davis has a new number and an outlook that is just as fresh as he prepares for his second NFL season.

Davis has switched from No. 53 to 50, Larry Foote's old number, and he unveiled the change at the offseason practices the Steelers held this week.

"He and I talked," Davis said of Foote, whom the Steelers released earlier this month, "and I made sure it was good with him first. I feel like if I go out and make plays in this number it should be all good."

Davis didn't get much of a chance to make plays his rookie season, and he didn't record so much as a tackle in the five games he did dress for in 2008.

Getting on the field should be a little easier this season for Davis since Lawrence Timmons, the top reserve at outside linebacker in 2008, is now the starter at right inside linebacker, Foote's old spot.

And the Steelers have been encouraged by the commitment Davis has shown during the offseason workouts and drills.

But one thing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has made clear is that no jobs will be won during the offseason practices, which he often refers to as "football in shorts."

That means Davis still has a long way to go, and his competition in training camp will include a healthy Arnold Harrison, who was re-signed during the offseason, as well as Patrick Bailey, whom the Steelers moved from inside to outside linebacker.

Not that Davis is fazed by much after a rookie season that proved to be both overwhelming and humbling at times.

"I feel like strength-wise I'm way ahead of where I was last year. Still have the same speed and all that," said Davis, who has added a couple of pounds to his 6-3 frame. "I'm comfortable with the defense so I can go out there and just play now. I feel like the physical and mental have caught up with one another so it's time to show what I can do."

If he shows the coaches enough during training camp, the 255-pound Davis could emerge as the Steelers' No. 3 outside linebacker. That would give the Steelers another edge pass rusher — no team can ever have enough of those — and someone who could play in the event that James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley get hurt.

One thing that motivated Davis, a converted defensive end, to change uniform numbers is that he wanted to look more the part of linebacker.

"My dad used to tell me I looked like an offensive guard or center at 53, which wasn't very cool," Davis, the son of a former NFL player, said with a laugh. "But hey, that's all right."

As for what Foote told him when he asked about switching to No. 50, Davis said, “He was like ‘Take my number, do your thing, handle your business.’ "

The Steelers are counting on him doing just that.

The Definiti0n
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I wonder who is the fastet LB on or team? I know Timmons is up there. Im excited for this kid and the skill set he brings to our defense.

Dino 6 Rings
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Rookie LBs very rarely make an impact on our team. There always seems to be a Veteran our Rooks are "backing up" that they then replace.

Honestly...what other team has had the linebackers we have had year in and year out. Even with changes. We definitely just Re-Load at Linebacker every single season.

Steel Head
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I read he has been practicing with the 3rd team defense

Sharkissle29
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Maybe its to get him going? I've been reading good things all off-season, who knows...

MDSteel15
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Rookie LBs very rarely make an impact on our team. There always seems to be a Veteran our Rooks are "backing up" that they then replace.

Honestly...what other team has had the linebackers we have had year in and year out. Even with changes. We definitely just Re-Load at Linebacker every single season.

He's not a rookie....

Steel Head
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM
He's not a rookie....

I think he was talking about last year when he was a rookie and made no impact at all

Galax Steeler
05-23-2009, 07:46 AM

I figured he would be futher up the depth chart then that who is practicing with the 2nd team.:noidea:

mulldog24
05-23-2009, 09:41 AM
He still has a way to go but he seems very committed.