PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison's Dog attacks Harrison's Son

BlastFurnace
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/22/james-harrisons-dog-attacks-his-son/

Pretty serious injuries are apparently reported, but not life threatening.

By what else - a Pit Bull.

steelreserve
05-22-2009, 12:06 PM
This is why we don't keep pit bulls.

revefsreleets
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
SEEMS sourced well...but this IS PFT so one never knows.

vasteeler
05-22-2009, 12:34 PM
they should some how ban that breed

Sharkissle29
05-22-2009, 12:37 PM

I dont think the breed should be banned, its all how you raise them as a pup....

but yea i'd like to read another source before i believe PFT...

Dino 6 Rings
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Aren't labs still the number one dog for biting people? Pretty sure they are. Pitbulls just cause more damage when they do bite.

msafford
05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
http://http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09142/972024-100.stm

atlsteelers
05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Aren't labs still the number one dog for biting people? Pretty sure they are. Pitbulls just cause more damage when they do bite.

not sure but i bet you there are many, many more labs out there then pit bulls.

klick81
05-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh man...hope his son recovers fully. For being a low-key guy, Harrison sure is staying on the front page these days.

BlastFurnace
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Apparently, he has 3 Pits.

WeegiesWarriors
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
In related news, Michael Vick reportedly is in negotiations to purchase James Harrison's dog.

RunWillieRun
05-22-2009, 01:44 PM
In related news, Michael Vick reportedly is in negotiations to purchase James Harrison's dog.

:toofunny:

Steel-Bryan
05-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I have 2 pitts, i only have problems with one RARELY. Pitbulls are great dogs, I dont care what people say. You cant "Ban" a Breed.

triphahn
05-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Dino 6 had it right. Pits don't bite anymore then any other dog but they do cause more damage when they bite. Also any time a pit bites someone its makes national head lines so everyone hears about it.

SteelersinCA
05-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree with not banning a breed, but anytime you have to keep any type of dog in a cage, that's not good news.

Steely McSmash
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
They're pretty intense dogs that aren't a good choice for families with kids.

My uncle had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is pretty similar and that dog charged through a sliding glass door to get a rabbit. And no, he wasn't trained to charge through doors for his dinner.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I have never met a mean pitbull. The only dogs that have ever bitten me were either yappy little shits like Yorkies or a Rotty.

Edman
05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm sure some asshole will come after James for this.

For being a quiet guy, Mr. Harrison sure is having a lot of bad problems in the news.

Psyychoward86
05-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Lol. But seriously though. This is terrible stuff to hear. I hope the kid's ok.

steelwall
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Man terrible for his son...he has my prayers. I do however agree that it is all how you raise the dog, Ive had pits before and someof them were the sweetest animals, loved evrybody.

tony hipchest
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
more reason for the steelers to sign the reformed mike vick to a contract. if nothing else he can be the "dog whisperer" to the likes of j. porter's horse killing, and harrison's toddler mauling pets. :bite:

:chuckle:

scsteeler
05-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm sure some asshole will come after James for this.

For being a quiet guy, Mr. Harrison sure is having a lot of bad problems in the news.

Yes because animals are valued more highly than humans to a lot of people!!!!!!!!!

:doh: :doh:

HometownGal
05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I have never met a mean pitbull. The only dogs that have ever bitten me were either yappy little shits like Yorkies or a Rotty.

A long time friend of mine has a pit named Chandra who is the absolute sweetest dog. She's great with kids and has never bitten anyone. I'm a firm believer that all dogs are capable of having a nasty streak - it's all in how they are raised.

I'm with you - the yip yappers seem to be the most tempermental and moodiest dogs out there. Every dog in the neighborhood drags their owners to my porch in the summer if I'm sitting outside because they know they're going to get some lovin' and a treat. I've only had 2 dogs growl at me in my entire life and they both were poodles. Nasty little shits.

I hope James' little boy is going to be OK. :hope:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Get a Golden Retriever.... There the best

steelwall
05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
more reason for the steelers to sign the reformed mike vick to a contract. if nothing else he can be the "dog whisperer" to the likes of j. porter's horse killing, and harrison's toddler mauling pets. :bite:

Ye then if some players dog attacks someone Vick can 'waterboard' the dog....

Steel_12
05-22-2009, 11:13 PM
If it can't talk to you, you don't know what it's thinking. I think people put too much trust in animals and some idiots think dog's lives are more valuable than humans...Amazing!

RavensFan52
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
First of all I would agree that to some people Dogs mean more than humans. That is why Vick got 22 months for dog fighting and people get zero time for hitting their wife.

Bottom line is the Dog is bread to fight and will act that way if it is not trained to be friendly. James should have done that if he has a 2 year old living in the same house.

As for Vick ending up in Pittsburgh- It would have to be as a WR as I think Dennis Dixon is a great back up and would have won the hiesman and been a 1st round pick had he not gotten injured. I dont know if the Steelers want the negative PR that goes with signing Vick, they are not known to make those high profile signings.

I think he ends up in OAK or WAS.

SteelersMongol
05-23-2009, 12:49 AM

Or take out all their teeth. :wink02: :chuckle:

steelreserve
05-23-2009, 02:05 AM
First of all I would agree that to some people Dogs mean more than humans.

So ... is that why you capitalized "dogs", out of respect or something? :flap:

JackHammer
05-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Pit Bulls shouldn't be banned at all. Certain people should be banned from owning them though.

RavensFan52
05-23-2009, 02:32 AM
So ... is that why you capitalized "dogs", out of respect or something? :flap:

I did not mean to do that, I was just typing fast and ended up capitalizing it.

But I am an Animal lover and a owner of a Yellow Lab.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Pit Bulls shouldn't be banned at all. Certain people should be banned from owning them though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just watch the Dog Whisperer. His pitbull "Daddy" is awesome.

The issue isn't the breed, but how they were raised. Hell, most larger dogs were bred to fight and/or kill something.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I feel sick about this. I've lived it.

Our c-o-c-k-e-r spaniel bit my son when he was a baby, so I know first hand what James and his fiance feel like today. (it won't let me spell that word :chuckle:)

You think you are being careful and smart but the only way to prevent this is not have the dog at all or never, ever let the dog around the child, no matter what the breed. I will have guilt about it the rest of my life. She opened that cage and let the dog out and she will live with horrible guilt the rest of her life, Thank God the scar is on his leg and didn't disfigure his face. Or God forbid, worse. (My son has a small scar on his face that nobody but me sees.)

We have 2 dogs now and while we let them around the 2 older grandchildren ( with supervision), now that the baby is mobile, they go in to the bedroom when she is at our house. I take zero chances even with gentler breeds than a pit bull. Any dog can be unpredictable, but pit bulls have stronger instincts and stronger jaws than most other dogs. I lived though the agony once, Never, ever again.

They come out the bedroom when she is in the playpen and they all check each other out fine. And she wants those "woof woofs" in a bad way! I trust the big dog with the big teeth alot more that I trust the little yapper, that's for sure!

I'm surprised James didn't kill that dog with his bare hands, even though the dog is not actually actually at fault. I know it went though my mind.

Kindjunior
05-23-2009, 06:45 AM
I guess being the defensive MVP doesn't make you a responsible dog owner.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 07:00 AM
I guess being the defensive MVP doesn't make you a responsible dog owner.

That is an ignorant statement. The dog was in a cage and for some reason she opened it. ( and believe me, it will haunt her). Sometimes we learn the hard way. I feel terrible for all of them.

And for the ignoramouses on PFT and elsewhere that are calling the dogs, neglected and abused, I've seen a picture of James' dogs. It was on a Steelers pet calender several years ago. And they looked like perfectly happy and healthy dogs. Not my breed choice but certainly not neglected and abused.

Vincent
05-23-2009, 07:09 AM
The dog was in a cage and for some reason she opened it. ( and believe me, it will haunt her). Sometimes we learn the hard way.

Why would it be necessary to keep dogs that need to be caged in a setting with children? This incident would seem to be inevitable.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Why would it be necessary to keep dogs that need to be caged in a setting with children? This incident would seem to be inevitable.

Did you read my above post? No dog should be trusted around a baby. I trust my dogs around anybody, but when it comes to that baby, I take ZERO chances. Neither of them have ever shown any aggresion around anyone, but they don't belong around and infant or toddler. Period. All dogs are going to be protective. You just don't know what exactly they think they have to protect. No matter how much I love my dogs, and no matter how much you think you are the Dog Whisperer, no animal should be trusted around a baby and sometimes we learn that lesson the hard way.

To call James and his baby's mother irresponsible dog owners is just a blanket, ignorant statement.

Nobody "thinks" their pet is capable of doing something like that. Especially if the dog has always acted fine around the child. I learned the hard way that ANY dog is capable of an unexpected act. This is not a pit bull or poodle argument. (athough I have my personal opinion about pit bulls, my own experiance taught me that ANY breed can turn if they feel threatened).

"Baby" and "children" are too dioffernet things to animals. Sometimes they are more threatened by "baby' than "child" I have a 8 and 6 year old grandaughters that the dogs do fine with. ( I still clolsely monitor.) The baby is a differnt story.

Galax Steeler
05-23-2009, 07:24 AM

I know this is very strange.:noidea:

Fordy
05-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Whats the point of owning a pet if you need to or choose to lock it up in a cage most of the time?

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 10:39 AM
The deadliest dogs

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings.

In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

"Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

Vincent
05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Did you read my above post?

No, I didn't.

I asked the obvious question.

No dog should be trusted around a baby.

To call James and his baby's mother irresponsible dog owners is just a blanket, ignorant statement.

:noidea: Huh?! :noidea:

Vincent
05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
"Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

Dobermans are candidates for this distinction as well. My wife's aunt always had dogs like these. The two that come to mind are a pair called Lugar and Teg. Nobody in the family could come near them. They'd shred you. They cowered around the aunt though. Just freekin scary.

Friends had a pair of pits named Sadie and Gus. Same deal.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Whats the point of owning a pet if you need to or choose to lock it up in a cage most of the time?

We have no idea of the living arrangements. Maybe his son and girlfriend don't even live there full time. The point is, the baby was protected until the cage opened. A tragic accident happened and thank God the child was not more seriously injured. Since I saw pictures of him and his dogs several years ago, he obviously had the dogs before he had a son. My grandchildren don't live with me. I choose to protect them while they are here.

We don't know what happens in someone elses home. We need to stop judging these guys based on a few facts in a news story. My ex and I had talked about finding a new home for our dog just 2 hours before it bit my son. It happens that fast. My son was in my lap when the dog attacked.

People making blanket assumptions about them being bad parents or irresponsible owners is just ignorance. (read the responses to the story on the PFT site) I was neither and it happened in a spilt second. Just be grateful the child will recover.

Professional athletes are no different from you or me. No amount of money takes away the heartbreak of looking down at your broken or sick child and knowing that you could have prevented it by being extra vigilant.

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Dobermans are candidates for this distinction as well.

They're included in the list.

Did you read the link?

Statistics don't lie.

In recent years, the dogs responsible for the bulk of the homicides are pit bulls and Rottweilers:

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

Interesting...

Analysis

Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost
as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are
normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more
often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to
defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive.

Pit bulls seem to differ
behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking
people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking
seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking
pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus
the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity
to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.

Rottweilers by contrast show a fairly normal child/adult attack
ratio. They seem to show up disproportionately often in the mauling,
killing, and maiming statistics simply because they are both quite popular
and very powerful, capable of doing a great deal of damage in cases where
bites by other breeds might be relatively harmless.

Wolf hybrids, German shepherds, and huskies are at the extreme
opposite end of the scale, almost never inflicting severe injury on
adults--but it would be a huge mistake to assume that these seemingly
similar patterns reflect similar behavior. They do not. In fact, German
shepherds and German shepherd mixes in which the German shepherd line
predominates together amount to 16% of the entire U.S. and Canadian dog
population, according to the data we have on breed-specific licensing, or
just about nine million total dogs.

Vincent
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Shouldn't this be in "Locker Room"?

Vincent
05-23-2009, 11:24 AM
They're included in the list. Did you read the link?

Ah yes, they are mentioned. Hadn't read to the bottom.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 11:30 AM
:noidea: Huh??!! :noidea:

Myabe you have to have first hand experiance with this to get it.

Read the responses (as I pointed out above) on the PFT site. It seems everybody judges these guys and how they live based on the half facts we get in news articles.

Pardon me if I get emotional, but this is an emotional subject for me. I LIVE WITH THE GUILT OF BEING TOO TRUSTING AN ANIMAL. My son was lucky a spaniels mouth is small and it only required a few stitches. I refuse to judge him with so little facts. The fact that he had them caged is enough to tell me he was protecting his son. We don't know if they were caged all the time. We don't know ANYTHING. Things are not always as they appear in print. Hopefully, he's just get rid of all of them.

Vincent
05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Myabe you have to have first hand experiance with this to get it.

Read the responses (as I pointed out above) on the PFT site. It seems everybody judges these guys and how they live based on the half facts we get in news articles.

Pardon me if I get emotional, but this is an emotional subject for me. I LIVE WITH THE GUILT OF BEING TOO TRUSTING AN ANIMAL. My son was lucky a spaniels mouth is small and it only required a few stitches. I refuse to judge him with so little facts. The fact that he had them caged is enough to tell me he was protecting his son. We don't know if they were caged all the time. We don't know ANYTHING. Things are not always as they appear in print. Hopefully, he's just get rid of all of them.

No, I get it. And I'm not judging anybody. Just voiced my puzzlement.

I was also puzzled by what I thought were two contradictions. But I withdraw those in light of the trauma you have suffered. My apologies.

The Patriot
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
How long before PETA accuses Harrison of dog abuse?

MACH1
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM

[URL="[URL="http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds

:huh: Don't see labs on the list. The breeds that BITES the most is the little ankle biter rat dogs. A study, published this week in the journal Applied Animal Behaviour Science, with researchers questioning 6000 dog owners had some surprising conclusions.
The dog breed most likely to bite was not the Pit Bull, Rottweiler, or German Shepherd, but …wait for it…the Dachshund. And second was the Chihuahua, followed by the Jack Russell Terrier.

Known as sausage or weiner dogs, Doxies were originally bred to hunt badgers in their holes. The research, conducted at the University of Pennsylvania, found that one in five Dachshunds have bitten or tried to bite strangers or have attacked other dogs and "one in twelve have snapped at their owners."
http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/the_poodle_and_dog_blog/2008/07/a-study-published-this-week-in-the-journal-applied-animal-behaviour-science-with-researchers-questioning-6000-dog-owners.html

Dino 6 had it right. Pits don't bite anymore then any other dog but they do cause more damage when they bite. Also any time a pit bites someone its makes national head lines so everyone hears about it.

:doh:

Breeds Involved in Fatal Attacks
Dog Breed Contributed to Deaths Percentage of All Deaths
Pit bull - 52 - 59%
Rottweiler - 12 - 14%
American bulldog - 4 - 5%
Husky - 4 - 5%
http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-fatalities-2008.htm

St33lersguy
05-23-2009, 11:58 AM
What is is with steeler OLBs' pitbulls. Hopefully Lamar Woodley doesn't own or want a pitbull.

Vincent
05-23-2009, 12:08 PM
What is is with steeler OLBs' pitbulls. Hopefully Lamar Woodley doesn't own or want a pitbull.

Perhaps the facets of their personalities that endear them to us as frothing at the mouth outside linebackers don't manifest themselves as gracefully in everyday life.

"I Wasn't Hired For My Disposition."

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/pics/lloyd_young.jpg

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Since we're adding personal experiences...

All my dogs have been working dogs, for the most part. I had beagles growin' up for rabbit hunting.

I used to do a lot of duck hunting too - so my labs were the breed of choice.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/bucky.jpg
Bucky and his kid.

When I lived and breathed pheasant hunting - the killer Brittany was the top dog.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Quincey.jpg

My boy Buddy was 95% wolf/sheppard. He was the gentlest and smartest of the bunch, - he slept on the couch.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/buddy.jpg

Fordy
05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
We have no idea of the living arrangements. Maybe his son and girlfriend don't even live there full time. The point is, the baby was protected until the cage opened. A tragic accident happened and thank God the child was not more seriously injured. Since I saw pictures of him and his dogs several years ago, he obviously had the dogs before he had a son. My grandchildren don't live with me. I choose to protect them while they are here.

We don't know what happens in someone elses home. We need to stop judging these guys based on a few facts in a news story. My ex and I had talked about finding a new home for our dog just 2 hours before it bit my son. It happens that fast. My son was in my lap when the dog attacked.

People making blanket assumptions about them being bad parents or irresponsible owners is just ignorance. (read the responses to the story on the PFT site) I was neither and it happened in a spilt second. Just be grateful the child will recover.

Professional athletes are no different from you or me. No amount of money takes away the heartbreak of looking down at your broken or sick child and knowing that you could have prevented it by being extra vigilant.

Good post. Sorry to hear about your incident.

DebbieSteelersFanInPhilly
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
When you have children, it's not a good idea to have certain breeds of dogs as a pet.. Others who are aggressive and prone to biting are Chows, Rottweilers, Dobermans along with Pit Bulls.

I am glad Harrison's son wasn't seriously hurt. While I am not happy with the decision to put the dog down, it is Harrison's right to do so.

As far as banning goes, I am not in favor of it with any breed. Go ahead and ban pit bulls and idiots like the ones who use them for fighting will just use Rotts or maybe Chows. There are many people in my neighborhood who have adopted pit and pit mixes from the local shelter. I have yet to see any acting aggressively at the local dog park.

I do feel bad for Harrison and his share of problems, however. I also think the news media sensationaizes attacks by pit bulls moreso than other breeds. It's almost like they take pleasure in it. But then again the news people seem to like to spread fear. A good example of that would be the swine flu.

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
The "pit bull craze" didn't start till gansta wannabees made it cool to own them, for "street cred".

So, if you own a pit bull for "status", you might have a tiny penis.

Godfather
05-23-2009, 01:15 PM

All my dogs have been working dogs, for the most part. I had beagles growin' up for rabbit hunting.

Labs and beagles are great dogs.

Maximus (the left half of my avatar) is an aggressive hunting dog, but whenever there's a baby or toddler around he turns into a sweet, gentle teddy bear.

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Labs and beagles are great dogs.

Maximus (the left half of my avatar) is an aggressive hunting dog, but whenever there's a baby or toddler around he turns into a sweet, gentle teddy bear.

My dogs weren't much for guard dogs though- if somebody pulled up in the driveway and got out of their car and left the door open they would rush out and jump inside thinking they were going for a ride to go hunting. Yes - I've seen it happen.

The jingling of car keys would send them into spasms. ' Can I go? Huh can I can I go? Can I"
Bloodthirsty beasts.

stillers4me
05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
It's interesting that the one article noted that huskies were one of the least likely to attack. Our older dog is a border collie/husky mix and I've never had to worry about her around the kids. She has huge, long teeth but has always been very gentle around the kids. She just doesn't like anyone touching her big, bushy tail. She gives a very, loud warning snap if you do. Since she's getting older and noticeably limping from arthritis, I still keep her away from the baby. I don't know what her "new old age tolerance " is.

My son is 25 now and just has a small scar on his cheek. Most people probably can't even notice it but mom sure does.

HometownGal
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM

:applaudit::hatsoff::drink:

I haven't had animals for quite some time, but I had 2 dogs when my kids were small (a blue Merle Collie and a co cker spaniel) and the Collie was the most docile dog I ever had, especially with the kids. My co cker spaniel was hyper as hell but never bit anyone but she would growl if you came near her when she was eating. I took extra precautions - when either one of them was sick or came in from the heat, I put them in the extra room and turned on the A/C and let them nap for a while. I drilled into my childrens' heads to NEVER pull their tails, tease them or go near their food dishes when they were chowing down. I've instilled the same principles into my grandson with regard to dogs and cats in general, and will do the same with my second grandson (who will be here in a week or two! :banana:) when he can comprehend what I'm saying.

Being extra vigilant and extra cautious with your most precious gifts - your children - is a huge step in protecting them, but unfortunately, once in a blue moon unfortunate and unpredictable accidents do happen, as is what I believe happened in this case.

Texasteel
05-23-2009, 05:09 PM

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/bucky.jpg
Bucky and his kid.

When I lived and breathed pheasant hunting - the killer Brittany was the top dog.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Quincey.jpg

My boy Buddy was 95% wolf/sheppard. He was the gentlest and smartest of the bunch, - he slept on the couch.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/buddy.jpg

That Brit looks exactly like my dog back in Iowa. His papered name was Brigadier, I called him Brigs. Great bird dog.

Cmdurand21
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Here is an update on the child a la Mike Florio.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/23/good-news-about-james-harrisons-son/

The outlook for James Harrison III, the two-year-old son of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, is positive two days after he was attacked by his father’s pit bull, according to the Associated Press.

Bill Parise, the agent who represents Harrison, said that the toddler is “doing well,” as he recovers from a bite on his leg at a Pittsburgh children’s hospital.

Also about the breed discussion, I feel it reflects more on the owner than the breed about how a dog acts. And, if you are going to have a male dog around children (especially of the Pitbull breed) they need to be neutered. It's their natural instinct for them to establish their dominance over smaller animals or children in the house.

JEFF4i
05-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Honestly, yeah there are a lot of mean pits, but I've also meant some incredible pit bulls.

Some breeds are disposed to being more aggressive, but it doesn't matter as much as the dog and the treatment thereof.

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
That Brit looks exactly like my dog back in Iowa. His papered name was Brigadier, I called him Brigs. Great bird dog.

Excellent bird dogs. I trained him from a pup on bird wings on fishing lines.

He would freeze on point with his nose stuffed up a pheasants ass. Till I released him with a voice command to flush for the shot.

Friends would come around to borrow him for the day, he loved it. I'd just tell them to watch his tail - when it stared buzzing like a bee, get ready for the takeoff.

Never failed.

MACH1
05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
My dogs weren't much for guard dogs though- if somebody pulled up in the driveway and got out of their car and left the door open they would rush out and jump inside thinking they were going for a ride to go hunting. Yes - I've seen it happen.

The jingling of car keys would send them into spasms. ' Can I go? Huh can I can I go? Can I"
Bloodthirsty beasts.

I go through that on a daily basis with my two choc. labs. My big lab(135 lbs) is a good watch dog, if he don't know you, you ain't gettin in. Unless of course you throw a ball or jingle some keys, then he'll buddy right up to ya. The little(75 lbs) lab he just might lick you do death.

JEFF4i
05-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I can't take my English Bulldog for walks near the car. Why?

She walks up to the car door, sits down, and waits to go for a drive. She doesn't even care where we go, even if its the vet, she likes going for drives.

steelwall
05-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I want a German rott......ahhhh but I live in an apartment.. I like pets so a cat would be an obvious choice, but my wife is deathly afraid of cats...especially kittens....... I have no idea...

beSteelmyheart
05-23-2009, 10:37 PM
The "pit bull craze" didn't start till gansta wannabees made it cool to own them, for "street cred".

So, if you own a pit bull for "status", you might have a tiny penis.

It must be true, because I never could understand the explosion of popularity & demand for these dogs when there are so many better breeds to choose from.

steelwall
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM
It must be true, because I never could understand the explosion of popularity & demand for these dogs when there are so many better breeds to choose from.

Thats because pits can be the most loyal and loving dogs out there....yes I knoe many people get the for the fear factor....

But..... before I came to China I gave my father my pit, one night several people tried to break in while he and my step mom where sleeping, the dog is what scared them away.....they can be a very good dog as long as the owners use good judgement in their upbringing, and keep them leashed or fencenced in.. (not to say I think all pits attack people, but most I've seen do not care for other dogs hense keeping them fenced in) the responsibility falls on the owner not the dog.

I tell you Ive been bit 2 times by dogs and when I worked for the phone company I came into contact with many different breeds of dogs at other peoples homes.... the 2 dogs that bit me were little whipper snappers.....

tony hipchest
05-23-2009, 11:52 PM
i always heard chow-chows and c0cker spaniels were 2 dogs who could be tempermental around children.

always heard labs were great with kids and their only drawback is they are the ultimate rooters and scoundrels, who love diggin through trash.

i had a chow/husky mix who absolutely loved all people (he hated people in cowboy hats who drove pick up trucks though- wouldnt attack the person, but always tried to attack the moving truck).

while he loved people he loved to fight other dogs. i seen him fight almost all breeds, but never a rot or pit bull. he would die in a dogfight before he would back down.

my current dog "shanna" hates all people. she has tried to attack old ladies walking down the street and my daughers little friends and all people in-between.

she will growl and try to bite me if i mess with her while she is eating or if she gets out and i try to push her back in the gate.

she "man-humps" our other 2 min pins (who are her "husband" and her son.

:noidea: i guess even cute little dogies like these can be violent beasts.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/paytons3080.jpg

i constantly gotta remind my daughter not to mess with her.

i kinda feel bad for harrisons animal getting the needle. i have a parrot that has not only bitten my baby for sticking her finger in its cage, but has also attacked babys momma for cursing at him and calling him a "bastard".

there are just certain things you dont do.

sounds to me like harrisons dog was more of a status symbol as opposed to a family pet.

i would love to have a komodo dragon, but instead have beaded dragons who are more docile than a hamster, and my girl can play with anytime she wants. :tap:

steelwall
05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Toney the meanest bunch of dogs I have ever came across were chows, they will F you up.

My uncle had 3 of them, and I used to go visit my cousins all the time but no matter what I had to wait at the gate before I could come in, so someone could subdue the chows.

But chows are furry and cute!!!!!! Pits are just regular looking dogs....they're mean... Lets kill all pits... I wonder if Peta would be ok with that....after all we'd be saving other dogs from getting their arses kicked...

And lets not forget peeps...this is AMerican pit bulls, just like use they are dogs you probably dont want to kick....

steelwall
05-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Toney ......Toney... Toney.... are you one of those people that put cloths on your dog??

steelwall
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
i

i would love to have a komodo dragon

I think that would be awesome too, but I just dont truct reptiles. Especially huge ones that their saliva can F you up.

tony hipchest
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Toney ......Toney... Toney.... are you one of those people that put cloths on your dog??:laughing:

i thought the flowery sun dress may humble her and take some of the "butch" out but as you can see by her look in the pict, it only made her more pissed off and mean. :noidea:

good thing is, i kinda trained her to be intimidating towards strangers and things that go "bump" in the night. bad thing is she goes overboard with it.

i guess with a daughter about the same age, who is also her "sister", its better safe than sorry.

MACH1
05-24-2009, 12:39 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/paytons3080.jpg

Pics of timma's wife?

Dingo's are the ones you to watch out for, they eat babys. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
[IMG]
Pics of timma's wife?

say what?

before NAIR...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/WolfMan.jpg

After...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Smile.jpg

JEFF4i
05-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh Tony, I had so much hope for you...

But some things are just too much, even for me. My dog never gets dressed up, except for Halloween.

Why Halloween? You'd be amazed wat kind of lady killer being dressed in the same outfit as your dog is!

Vincent
05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
The little man at the center of this episode...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/05/sports/football/steelers.600.jpg

Godspeed little James!!

stillers4me
05-25-2009, 09:20 AM
The little man at the center of this episode...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/05/sports/football/steelers.600.jpg

Godspeed little James!!

My granddaughter in only a few months younger....that breaks my heart. I pray he doesn't have any permanent damage to his leg. Heal well, little guy. :hug:

GBMelBlount
05-25-2009, 09:24 AM
My granddaughter in only a few months younger....that breaks my heart. I pray he doesn't have any permanent damage to his leg. Heal well, little guy. :hug:

What a shame. Prayers for this little guy.

On a side note:

Steelwall

I like pets so a cat would be an obvious choice, but my wife is deathly afraid of cats...especially kittens.......

:huh:

Hammer67
05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
not sure but i bet you there are many, many more labs out there then pit bulls.

Your right...there are a TON more labs out there as pets then there are pit bulls, so it's hard to compare. But, one thing people forget is that PB's have been bread to fight. Regardless of how they are raised, instinctually, they have a rougher demeanor then labs (for an example). Another example for comparison is that labs aren't great guard dogs, but germen shepherds are. How dogs are raised does indeed play an important part, but instincts do as well. With breeds like Pit Bulls, you are already behind the eight ball. I have never heard of a normally well mannered lab jumping a fence to attack a child, but, I have heard that about Pit Bulls many times.

Why people keep Pit Bulls as pets, anyway, is beyond me. They are mean and ugly. :twocents:

Hammer67
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM

Actually, most dogs are crate trained and many end up looking at their crates as their "dens" as they are den animals by nature. I no longer use my crate (since our lab was about 1 1/2). But many do.

This is a statement by someone who doesn't understand dogs. No offense intended.

:wink02: