PDA

View Full Version : Techie... Overclocking.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
OK.

Like an idiot, I couldn't leave my new computer alone, so now I am overclocking it.

I got it up to 3.78 at 165 MHz However, I am trying to break the 4. barrier.

Dang dang dang... I have adjusted the Vcore, the CPU-VTT, but nothing stable over 3.78 yet.

What are you all running at?

SteelersinCA
05-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I left mine at 3.8. I couldn't get above that on air cooling under load. I like my temps below 80c. I like to be safe. Check the evga.com forums they have terrific OCing guides on there.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, thing is, I had to back it down to 3.6 to be stable. I have read that 4.2 is doable on air. With the case I have and the new heatsink and fan, I should be able to hit it. I just can't figure out how to overclock the thing properly.

stillers4me
05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
HUH? :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
You shouldn't need to be above 3.6 anyways. You're trying to add HP to a 350 engine. At that point, it's more about bragging rights.

JEFF4i
05-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Preacher...you're a curious case there Father.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
You shouldn't need to be above 3.6 anyways. You're trying to add HP to a 350 engine. At that point, it's more about bragging rights.

Yep! :chuckle:

No, seriously, it is also about me just pushing a system I built to see the limitations. I just enjoy the challenge.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Preacher...you're a curious case there Father.

:sofunny:

Yeah... it was either get into computing again, or cars... and cars are WAY too expensive to work on.

This is a real stressful job. So something like computers is a joy that takes my mind off of what I do here.

Wanna see a curious case? Think about the fact that I still drive down the road with Metallica playing in the car! I just refuse to listen to certain songs, like "The God that Failed"

JEFF4i
05-24-2009, 01:09 PM
:sofunny:

Yeah... it was either get into computing again, or cars... and cars are WAY too expensive to work on.

This is a real stressful job. So something like computers is a joy that takes my mind off of what I do here.

Wanna see a curious case? Think about the fact that I still drive down the road with Metallica playing in the car! I just refuse to listen to certain songs, like "The God that Failed"

Coolest, Father, ever. :)

Honestly, the Padre at my church growing up was a great guy, just not nearly as up to date as yourself. My gal's clocked at 3.6, I was feeling lazy and left it off there.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Oh, and, um, excuse me, but if you are running a 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb with 350 ponies under the hood, the heads and pistons already hardended and ready... If all it took was some time and NO MONEY, DONT TELL ME you wouldn't sneak a spacer plate between the carb and manifold... and hook up a little Nitro to the puppy. :wink02:

tony hipchest
05-24-2009, 06:51 PM
for those who didnt know, Preacherdude is balls to the wall.:tt03: :guitar: :jammin:

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh, and, um, excuse me, but if you are running a 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb with 350 ponies under the hood, the heads and pistons already hardended and ready... If all it took was some time and NO MONEY, DONT TELL ME you wouldn't sneak a spacer plate between the carb and manifold... and hook up a little Nitro to the puppy. :wink02:

I would tell you that...but I don't want to be struck by lightning.

Godfather
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
A couple questions on building your own computer:

1) Are there any For Dummies-type guides out there that tell you everything you need to know to do it yourself? I know you have to take a lot of things into account like electricity, enough fans to keep it cool, making sure all the hardware is compatible, etc.

2) Is it really any cheaper than buying one? You can get a lower-end computer for a few hundred bucks. It doesn't seem like you can get the individual parts and the necessary tools for that amount of money.

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 08:33 PM

1) Are there any For Dummies-type guides out there that tell you everything you need to know to do it yourself? I know you have to take a lot of things into account like electricity, enough fans to keep it cool, making sure all the hardware is compatible, etc.

2) Is it really any cheaper than buying one? You can get a lower-end computer for a few hundred bucks. It doesn't seem like you can get the individual parts and the necessary tools for that amount of money.

1 - Honestly, I don't know because I never looked. Computer are very simple though. The hardest part is finding out what's compatible with the system you want to use...and dealing with the OS (if you really aren't Tech Savvy.)

2 - That depends on how lowgrade you want it. But generally speaking, it is cheaper to build your own. Not only do you get to choose your own parts, but you don't have to deal with a lot of unnecessary software that comes from the ready to builds.

steelreserve
05-24-2009, 09:04 PM
OK.

Like an idiot, I couldn't leave my new computer alone, so now I am overclocking it.

I got it up to 3.78 at 165 MHz However, I am trying to break the 4. barrier.

Dang dang dang... I have adjusted the Vcore, the CPU-VTT, but nothing stable over 3.78 yet.

What are you all running at?

Heh ... how did I know this was going to happen? One minute it's "I need help figuring out how to put this thing together" and the next time I turn around, it's overclocking and going for speed records. In another month, we'll see you entering contests like this (http://techreport.com/articles.x/16834) and building your own liquid nitrogen cooling system.

I think I saw something in one of those competitions where a guy had overclocked a Q9550 to 5.7 GHz. Now that I don't think I could do.

X-Terminator
05-24-2009, 09:25 PM

1. There most certainly are: http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Yourself-Dummies-Computer/dp/0470196114/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243214558&sr=1-11

2. It all depends on what you intend to use your computer for. But yes, it is cheaper to build it yourself, even if you just want a low-end system to browse the Internet or listen to music. You just have to know where to look to buy parts - Newegg.com is a good place to start. If you're looking for parts at rock-bottom prices, pricewatch.com is another good place to look.

Hope this helps, and good luck if you decide to build a PC. Oh, and don't forget your anti-static wrist strap!

On the topic of overclocking...once I get everything I need in my PC and upgrade to a Phenom X4, I plan to overclock it. AMD chips have a reputation of being easily overclockable, which is why a lot of people use them. I just use them because Intel chips are too damn expensive, but I may as well see what the thing really can do.

Preacher
05-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Heh ... how did I know this was going to happen? One minute it's "I need help figuring out how to put this thing together" and the next time I turn around, it's overclocking and going for speed records. In another month, we'll see you entering contests like this (http://techreport.com/articles.x/16834) and building your own liquid nitrogen cooling system.

I think I saw something in one of those competitions where a guy had overclocked a Q9550 to 5.7 GHz. Now that I don't think I could do.

:rofl:

(actually, I HAVE thought about how to build a cooling system for the board... :doh:)

Preacher
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM

Trust me, if I can build one... ANYONE can build one.

Actually, building a basic system should be even more easy than what I did...

Like X-Term said... it is all in checking out if the parts work together. Sadly, now I have no idea why I never did this from the beginning...

and I am figuring the church needs a system built for powerpoint, another system built for the office, I would LOVE to have a server, as I networked the church a couple years ago (just compt to comp) through a router.

Seriously, it is that easy.

Overclocking.... Well.......

steelreserve
05-25-2009, 12:58 AM
It's a slippery slope, man. You're going to be on heroin by the end of the week.

Preacher
05-25-2009, 01:04 AM
It's a slippery slope, man. You're going to be on heroin by the end of the week.

I'm Prime95 testing a setting of 3.86 right now. Figured out my big problem, Hyperthreading was on. I shut that off and it has helped quite a bit. It seems you can't hyperthread past 165 MHz.

If this works, I am going to put the multiplyer back up to 21(from 19), I have also learned ( I think ) that this chip doesn't like even multipliers... don't know why but. . .

Moved it down from an even to an odd, and it is running Prime like a breeze right now... Warm, I am reading in the low-md 70's, but I probably have the cpu voltage cranked further than necessary.

Yeah, it is addicting. A tweak here, a push there....

Just like owning an old Mustang.

Preacher
05-25-2009, 06:07 AM
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd now I am in the 4.1 range in the mid to high 70's... but still probably pushed up a bit on the voltage.

And it is 3 in the morning here.

Addictive? of course not. I could stop any time. . .

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Great, Preacher will be in rehab soon.

Hi, I'm Preacher, and I'm a Techaholic!

:everyone: Hi Preacher!

Preacher
05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Great, Preacher will be in rehab soon.

Hi, I'm Preacher, and I'm a Techaholic!

:everyone: Hi Preacher!

:laughing:

I needed that about 10 years ago.