PDA

View Full Version : Cryboys leave it up to an ex-con?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Dallas Cowboys reinforced practice facility last year based on advice from ex-con
:huh:

01:14 AM CDT on Sunday, May 24, 2009

By BROOKS EGERTON / The Dallas Morning News
begerton@dallasnews.com
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/052409dnprocollapse2.479828a.html

The Dallas Cowboys made major structural reinforcements to their practice facility last year using advice from a man who has falsified his educational credentials and served federal prison time for his role in a violent drug trafficking ring, a Dallas Morning News investigation shows.

The consultant, Jeffrey Lawrence Galland, was engineering director of a Las Vegas company called JCI, although he had no engineering license. He acknowledged The News' findings and said his background had no bearing on his ability to help clients.
Dallas Cowboys / NFL

Galland, 42, now runs his own consulting firm. He said he is playing no role in investigating the catastrophic collapse May 2 of the giant tentlike facility, which left one Cowboys employee with a broken neck and another with permanent paralysis.

Galland said his Cowboys work was done under the supervision of JCI president Scott Jacobs, a licensed engineer.

Jacobs did not respond to interview requests. His company has teamed up extensively in recent years with Canada-based Summit Structures, which built the Cowboys facility in 2003 and oversaw last year's reinforcements.

The Cowboys declined to comment after receiving detailed questions based on The News' findings. Summit said Canadian privacy law prevented it from commenting on people involved in the work.

"It is Summit's belief that all employees who worked on this project were qualified to perform the task he or she performed" and were properly licensed, company president Nathan Stobbe said in a written statement Saturday.

"We remain confident in the soundness, strength and durability of Summit Structures' permanent, steel-framed, engineered fabric buildings – of which more than 30,000 similar buildings are in use worldwide. We intend to thoroughly research every aspect of this event as a part of the diligence that we put into everything we do."

Galland said in an e-mail Saturday that many of his clients know of his criminal history.

"It does not affect my ability to deliver the services they require," he said. "However, it is not something I am proud of."

On Friday, Galland supplied The News with a written summary of his credentials that says he has a bachelor's degree in physics from Eastern Washington University. The school said he pursued that degree but never graduated.

The summary also says he has been working toward a master's degree in structural engineering at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. School records show no sign he ever attended, officials said.

Galland said Saturday that he completed all required credits for the physics degree but did not receive it after Eastern Washington officials wanted him to take a class that "I felt was unnecessary."

"As for UNLV, it was my intention to enroll when the bio was written. I have not had the opportunity to start any follow-up education at UNLV because I typically work 100 hours a week developing systems for the analysis of structures."

An aide said Saturday that the summary was being corrected.

Dragonrider
05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
While I have an extreme dislike of the cowgirls, I still feel bad that someone was seriously injured. No one deserves that. It is not surprising that the organization used someone like that to do the work.

tony hipchest
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
the cowboys would hire pac-man jones if they thought it would help them win.

oh wait...

already happened.

nothing suprising here.

Galax Steeler
05-25-2009, 09:11 AM
How did this guy even get anywhere close to the cowboys doing a job like that:noidea:.

Godfather
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Plus, how could the Cowboys not do a basic background check for a job that important?

Someone's permanently paralyzed because of it. If it were up to me, that guy would own the team and the new stadium. There's simply no excuse for it.

St33lersguy
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
How did this guy even get anywhere close to the cowboys doing a job like that:noidea:.

They found a random person that served time in jail & tracked him down.

Psyychoward86
05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Speaking of Pacman Jones, I saw him on Pros vs. Joes a couple of days ago. Pretty pathetic against the Joes. Had to talk trash to keep up with them :chuckle:

steelwall
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
An unfortunate event, now even more so with this bit of info.