PDA

View Full Version : Lebron leaving Cleveland? Looks less and less likely:

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4202661

The 24-year-old MVP, who is already among the league's most popular players in Asia, has stated he wants to become the first billionaire athlete. His brand overseas could be enhanced by playing for a team with Chinese business partners.

There has been ongoing speculation that James will leave Cleveland to play in a larger market like New York or Los Angeles because of the vast business opportunities. But James -- and his corporate sponsors like Nike -- have broader goals and may be able to attain them by tapping into China's colossal consumer marketplace without him ever leaving Cleveland.

James has never given any indication he wants to leave the Cavaliers, who drafted the Akron, Ohio, native with the No. 1 overall pick in 2003. He won a gold medal with the U.S. team last summer at the Beijing Games and has made four trips to China, including one with the Cavs during the preseason two years ago.

lilyoder6
05-24-2009, 10:48 PM
well his corporate sponsers can still tap into china's marketplace if he would go to new york or LA... he will still make the same amount overseas, but he will make more in the US if going to New york or LA

i still think it's up in the air...
my thought, was that if lebron would win a final b4 2010 he would stay, and if not, he would leave get more money and go to a team that has the money to go after another superstar in the same offseason

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
No team can offer him more than Cleveland...so get more money is based on...what? His sponsorships are in place...and these Chinese investors aren't investing in LA/NY...they're investing in Cleveland.

SteelersinCA
05-24-2009, 11:24 PM
But other teams can offer him something they can't in Cleveland which is also becoming more and more apparent, wait for it, wait, wait, HELP!!!

xfl2001fan
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I just don't understand how Mo Williams can shoot better than 40% from three point land during the regular season...and be hitting less than 30% this series. One game, fine...two games...maybe, but so far it's been all three...

Z has disappeared offensively, not able to get into a rhythm shooting...which is not like him. We knew he'd struggle (defensively) to deal with Howard, but missing wide open shots is not typical for him.

Nothing at all from our bench either...Wally can't play D against this team...but Gibson/Pavlovic are both capable shooters...and nothing from them either.

It boggles the mind.

SteelersinCA
05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Just like every other post season in every other sport, it's a different game in the playoffs. You're living in denial if you think Lebron has anyone around him that can make a consistent difference. The thing that boggles the mind is if the Cavs have all this money, why in the world have they not given Lebron help. If the guy had help he'd never leave. That's what boggles the mind.

lilyoder6
05-24-2009, 11:45 PM
keep the above posts.. in the nba playoffs threads...

but this deal still has to be passed by the owners..

and anything can happen now til the summer of 2010

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Just like every other post season in every other sport, it's a different game in the playoffs. You're living in denial if you think Lebron has anyone around him that can make a consistent difference. The thing that boggles the mind is if the Cavs have all this money, why in the world have they not given Lebron help. If the guy had help he'd never leave. That's what boggles the mind.

They've spent (and blown) a lot of money to put a team in place around him. How they managed to chuck Larry Hughes terrible contract has to have involved some sort of pictures of someone...or hypnosis or something.

I know the Cavs are currently in the Luxury tax...and that even with Wally's contract falling off, they'll still be in the luxury tax. It won't be until 2010 that they'll be out of the luxury tax with both Wallace and Lebrons contracts ending.

SteelCityMan786
05-25-2009, 09:08 AM
It wouldn't be wise of him to leave Cleveland considering they're a team on the rise and are consistantly getting better. This team will end up winning the series against the Magic if he's not the only person lighting up the Cavs end of the scoreboard.

lilyoder6
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
if the knicks were to get lebron, and then go after someone like a d-wade if he does not opt out this yr...

that team will be good....

or how ironic would it be if he would sign with the bulls. with gordon and rose has the guards... that would be a sick team..

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 10:37 AM
if the knicks were to get lebron, and then go after someone like a d-wade if he does not opt out this yr...

that team will be good....

or how ironic would it be if he would sign with the bulls. with gordon and rose has the guards... that would be a sick team..

Neither is going to happen. The Salary cap is lowering...and Cleveland can do two things:

A - Offer him more money than any team
B - Are not afraid of paying luxury tax to keep him (and keep him happy.)

As for the Bulls, you assume that Gordon will still be around.

SteelersinCA
05-25-2009, 11:21 AM
But He won't be happy in Cleveland if they don't give him help, that's the real problem. Even if they offer him 100 mil more than anyone else, you think that is going to satisfy him? He wants a ring, unless they make a real effort to get a good player for him, he'll bolt to someone who will. Ben Wallace, Larry Hughes, come on dude those guys can't hold Pippens jock strap with a forklift.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
But He won't be happy in Cleveland if they don't give him help, that's the real problem. Even if they offer him 100 mil more than anyone else, you think that is going to satisfy him? He wants a ring, unless they make a real effort to get a good player for him, he'll bolt to someone who will. Ben Wallace, Larry Hughes, come on dude those guys can't hold Pippens jock strap with a forklift.

A lot of people thought Larry was going to be better than he turned out at the time. Wallace was brought in to be a defensive enforcer, nothing more. He was assigned a specific role in the hopes that they could get Lebron his Pippen...unfortunately, Mo/Delonte can't hold Pippen's jock strap either.

Who has been available that they could reasonably get?

Honestly, I can see them making a play for Chris Bosh in 2010 to go with Lebron...and ask Lebron to help sway the decision. D-Wade isn't coming out of Miami...and even if he did, I don't know that he'd be a good fit alongside Lebron (in the long run)...because anybody that comes to Cleveland has got to know that the best they can be is 1b.

Possible (big names) that they'll go after:

Tyson Chandler (with Lebron's passing...that's one BIG combination)
Chris Bosh (as indicated above)
Joe Johnson (tall shooting guard with a nice stroke)

SteelersinCA
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Another question, how in the world are they in the luxury tax when Lebron is all they have. They must be way overpaying some scrubs.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Another question, how in the world are they in the luxury tax when Lebron is all they have. They must be way overpaying some scrubs.

Wally is getting like 13/14K...Wallace is making more. Z is in the 11-12M range.

Joe Smith has nearly 5M (full MLE), Mo is like 9M, Delonte is fairly cheap at 4-5M.

It all started with way overpaying Larry Hughes. From there, they've had to make some trades and part of that trade was taking on Wallace and Wally's big contracts.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I just don't understand how Mo Williams can shoot better than 40% from three point land during the regular season...and be hitting less than 30% this series. One game, fine...two games...maybe, but so far it's been all three...

Z has disappeared offensively, not able to get into a rhythm shooting...which is not like him. We knew he'd struggle (defensively) to deal with Howard, but missing wide open shots is not typical for him.

Nothing at all from our bench either...Wally can't play D against this team...but Gibson/Pavlovic are both capable shooters...and nothing from them either.

It boggles the mind.

Kobe has been dealing with that for years lol...get used to it

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Kobe has been dealing with that for years lol...get used to it

Yeah, (since Shaq left) Kobe (like Lebron) hasn't won a ring. No dependable teammate = no ring.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, (since Shaq left) Kobe (like Lebron) hasn't won a ring. No dependable teammate = no ring.

He's going to get one this year...could've had one last year if Gasol and Odom didn't play soft as baby shit. Your boy LeBron needs to improve his offensive game...that's not hate.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
He's going to get one this year...could've had one last year if Gasol and Odom didn't play soft as baby shit. Your boy LeBron needs to improve his offensive game...that's not hate.

Maybe he'll get a ring, maybe he won't. His team needs to be a bit more consistent to do it though. Denver and Orlando are not teams you can take lightly...nor are the Cavs.

As for Lebron, I know he needs to work on his offensive game. I don't believe he's perfect. Just the best player in the NBA today. He has the potential (based on his athleticism and work ethic) of being a Top-5 all time player...should he stay healthy and continue to work on his game.

If Lebron's teammates step up during the rest of the post season like they did during the regular season (you know, hitting wide open shots and such), then I don't doubt that Lebron gets his ring this year.

The Duke
05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
lol, my knicks are practically investing their whole future in trying to get LeBron

great management right there :thumbsup:

i'd honestly be happy with wade....or you know, any good player!! :noidea:

revefsreleets
05-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Yup, that's it! Under Orlando's really smother defense, his O has "gone away", ONLY scoring 49, 35 and 41 receptively in 3 games. That's only averaging 42 a game!

Damn, that sucks!

Dude, clues and you parted ways about a mile back. I mean, I get your that your shtick is all about in your face and saying controversial shit and all, but how about a little reality here? It's also not like he's averaging 0 assists because he's just chucking the ball up every time down the floor, either. LBJ is playing complete games here, playing D, running the O, making steals, blocking shots, dishing the ball, and grabbing boards. You're watching a completely dominant player completely dominate at the very highest level here in all phases of the game, and still hating and doubting.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Yup, that's it! Under Orlando's really smother defense, his O has "gone away", ONLY scoring 49, 35 and 41 receptively in 3 games. That's only averaging 42 a game!

Damn, that sucks!

Dude, clues and you parted ways about a mile back. I mean, I get your that your shtick is all about in your face and saying controversial shit and all, but how about a little reality here? It's also not like he's averaging 0 assists because he's just chucking the ball up every time down the floor, either. LBJ is playing complete games here, playing D, running the O, making steals, blocking shots, dishing the ball, and grabbing boards. You're watching a completely dominant player completely dominate at the very highest level here in all phases of the game, and still hating and doubting.

Shut the fukk up, clown! He does need to polish his offensive game because sooner or later his athleticism will go away and he will need to be able to hit a mid-range J or post up smaller SFs. His FT shooting SUCKS! All of the points he's getting now are the same way MJ was getting his points and when Detroit came out with the Jordan rules, he had to polish his offensive game. Of course he gets assists and who said he just runs down the floor and shoots the ball every time? I know his game and I know he needs to do more than go to the hole or pull up for a J EVERY TIME!!! Idiot...LBJ isn't the only player on the team and if he's the most dominant player, shouldn't he be making his teammates better in the PLAYOFFS and not just the regular season? He isn't dominating in all phases of the game...especially free throw shooting. Missing 2 CLUTCH free throws at the end of game 3 shows why he "completely dominating at the very highest level in all phases of the game". I'm not hating...it's the truth...even XFL admitted as much so you can miss me with that bullshit.

You don't know shit about basketball...that's the reality of the situation. You're the main profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilter here that's all about in your face, controversial shit. All of your posts have an "I'm better than you" feel. I don't need clues to determine that...definitely don't need clues to know you're an egotistical jackass.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Lebron has scored the second most points in the first three games of a series in NBA history (reported on ESPN earlier today.) Kobe is #4 on that list...and that's based off of the series against Denver.

But Lebron needs to do more offensively.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Maybe he'll get a ring, maybe he won't. His team needs to be a bit more consistent to do it though. Denver and Orlando are not teams you can take lightly...nor are the Cavs.

As for Lebron, I know he needs to work on his offensive game. I don't believe he's perfect. Just the best player in the NBA today. He has the potential (based on his athleticism and work ethic) of being a Top-5 all time player...should he stay healthy and continue to work on his game.

If Lebron's teammates step up during the rest of the post season like they did during the regular season (you know, hitting wide open shots and such), then I don't doubt that Lebron gets his ring this year.

True...Denver, Orlando or Cleveland aren't teams that you can take lightly. But if Cleveland doen't get past Orlando, I don't see Orlando beating them.

We'll have to agree to disagree...

The same can be said for Kobe because his teammates are playing like trash.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Lebron has scored the second most points in the first three games of a series in NBA history (reported on ESPN earlier today.) Kobe is #4 on that list...and that's based off of the series against Denver.

But Lebron needs to do more offensively.

Once LeBron sees that Mo and Z are off, he needs to take more shots. Obviously, by the number of free throws he shoots, he's going to get the calls...as he should being the MVP. He's too unselfish and to win a ring he needs to be a little more selfish.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Once LeBron sees that Mo and Z are off, he needs to take more shots. Obviously, by the number of free throws he shoots, he's going to get the calls...as he should being the MVP. He's too unselfish and to win a ring he needs to be a little more selfish.

Really, MJ passed up shots.

Jordan had to give Bill Wennington the winning shot that night in 1995 when he dropped a double-nickel on the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Or giving Steve Kerr the clinching shot in the '96 NBA Finals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/060117

Sometimes, it's about doing the smartest basketball play possible. Yeah, Kobe is a great shooter...and Lebron needs to add more polish to his game...but he's only 6 years in to his reign of supremacy over the NBA...MJ wasn't all that polished, neither was Kobe after 6 years. They continued to get better throughout their careers.

As for getting the calls, it's not just because he's a superstar, his understanding of the game, his speed, strength and body control all contribute to him getting calls. There are a lot of calls a smaller guy (like Kobe) would get that James doesn't, because he's so big and strong that it doesn't appear to affect his shot.

revefsreleets
05-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Shut the fukk up, clown! He does need to polish his offensive game because sooner or later his athleticism will go away and he will need to be able to hit a mid-range J or post up smaller SFs. His FT shooting SUCKS! All of the points he's getting now are the same way MJ was getting his points and when Detroit came out with the Jordan rules, he had to polish his offensive game. Of course he gets assists and who said he just runs down the floor and shoots the ball every time? I know his game and I know he needs to do more than go to the hole or pull up for a J EVERY TIME!!! Idiot...LBJ isn't the only player on the team and if he's the most dominant player, shouldn't he be making his teammates better in the PLAYOFFS and not just the regular season? He isn't dominating in all phases of the game...especially free throw shooting. Missing 2 CLUTCH free throws at the end of game 3 shows why he "completely dominating at the very highest level in all phases of the game". I'm not hating...it's the truth...even XFL admitted as much so you can miss me with that bullshit.

You don't know shit about basketball...that's the reality of the situation. You're the main profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilter here that's all about in your face, controversial shit. All of your posts have an "I'm better than you" feel. I don't need clues to determine that...definitely don't need clues to know you're an egotistical jackass.

All that anger towards me. All that name calling and irrationality...

And not an effing fact or stat in the post.

I'm done with you. I'll debate people who know what they are talking about and can bring it, but you're the C team, dude...

Buh-bye now...

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 04:28 PM
True...Denver, Orlando or Cleveland aren't teams that you can take lightly. But if Cleveland doen't get past Orlando, I don't see Orlando beating them.

We'll have to agree to disagree...

The same can be said for Kobe because his teammates are playing like trash.

LA still needs to get past Denver. The only thing I've seen so far is that both teams are capable of winning away from home. That series isn't over...and I can see Orlando beating LA. They are a tough matchup for every team...and most of that has to do with Rashard Lewis.

revefsreleets
05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
LA still needs to get past Denver. The only thing I've seen so far is that both teams are capable of winning away from home. That series isn't over...and I can see Orlando beating LA. They are a tough matchup for every team...and most of that has to do with Rashard Lewis.

Orlando is sitting pretty. They play defense. They have a dominant inside guy. They can play inside/out with all those 3 ball shooters. I've been impressed.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Really, MJ passed up shots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/060117

Sometimes, it's about doing the smartest basketball play possible. Yeah, Kobe is a great shooter...and Lebron needs to add more polish to his game...but he's only 6 years in to his reign of supremacy over the NBA...MJ wasn't all that polished, neither was Kobe after 6 years. They continued to get better throughout their careers.

As for getting the calls, it's not just because he's a superstar, his understanding of the game, his speed, strength and body control all contribute to him getting calls. There are a lot of calls a smaller guy (like Kobe) would get that James doesn't, because he's so big and strong that it doesn't appear to affect his shot.

MJ occasionally passed up shots. I'm not saying to NEVER pass the ball in those situations but sometimes it's better for LBJ to shoot the last shot than them other scrubs.

And that's why I said that he isn't better than Kobe offensively...not until he polishes his game.

He did get away with a couple of calls last night though...especially that foul on Howard on the 3 pointer.

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
All that anger towards me. All that name calling and irrationality...

And not an effing fact or stat in the post.

I'm done with you. I'll debate people who know what they are talking about and can bring it, but you're the C team, dude...

Buh-bye now...

Good...be done then..put me on ignore PLEASE! You have nothing to offer in this debate...I'm glad I could shut you up!

Steel_12
05-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Right I should've put in case Orlando plays LA. The thing with that series, should it happen, is that LA has big men that can score. Odom can do a much more effective job on Lewis or Turk than Delonte West can. If Pau can continue playing like he has, I don't see Orlando beating them. LA has more mismatches than Cleveland does vs. Orlando. If ya'll had Bosh this year, Cleveland would win the title. No low post scorer is what's killing Cleveland IMO.

xfl2001fan
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
MJ occasionally passed up shots. I'm not saying to NEVER pass the ball in those situations but sometimes it's better for LBJ to shoot the last shot than them other scrubs.

And that's why I said that he isn't better than Kobe offensively...not until he polishes his game.

He did get away with a couple of calls last night though...especially that foul on Howard on the 3 pointer.

That's just it, for the most part, the guys he's passing it to (Donyell Marshall, Mo Williams) are generally really good at making the wide open shots that he is offering. If you've got a guy (like Donyell) who is a 3-ball specialist (and worth little else) and he's wide open...and you have a couple of hands/bodies in your face, make the pass. It shouldn't matter at any point in the game. Smart basketball is still smart basketball.

Everybody has gotten with a couple of calls all series long...and everybody has been hit with some BS calls on both sides. It's not just Lebron or Howard and it's not been one sided. They are equal opportunity inept @sshats in this particular set of playoffs (every series.)

I didn't see any call (or much talk) about Howard throwing another elbow last night. It may not have connected, but you still can't throw them.

Right I should've put in case Orlando plays LA. The thing with that series, should it happen, is that LA has big men that can score. Odom can do a much more effective job on Lewis or Turk than Delonte West can. If Pau can continue playing like he has, I don't see Orlando beating them. LA has more mismatches than Cleveland does vs. Orlando. If ya'll had Bosh this year, Cleveland would win the title. No low post scorer is what's killing Cleveland IMO.

Odom can cover Turk without much issue...and in all reality, Turk's effectiveness has been reduced by West. But Lewis is a different beast to handle. Gasol is too finesse to keep up with the likes of Howard. He's reminds me of a younger Z.

You're right about needing a dominant low post guy. If Cleveland can get Bosh, look out NBA.